[0.4.14] LinuxGaming2 - Shutdown

LazyJ

Re: [0.4.12] LinuxGaming - A Server for Builders

by LazyJ » Post

Bugs and Crashes

It's been brought to my attention that the recycling recipes won't work with *stacks* of materials.

If you put one red wool block in the crafting grid, one white wool block will appear in the output slot. When you take the white wool from the output slot, the red wool block in the grid is replaced with one red dye. This works.

However, if you put a stack of red wool blocks in the crafting grid, you can still pull the matching amount of white wool blocks from the output slot but the red wool blocks won't be replaced with red dye. Minetest's replacement function just isn't made for bulk replacements.

I've added a note about the problem to my ToDo list for the server. This is a low priority problem considering how cheap dyes and base materials are and because there are several other tasks, that came before this, that I have to work through. Whatever the solution works-out to be, it won't be a quick fix.

The server has had some crashes over the past few days. The logs tell me the line of code where the errors occurred but not the actions that triggered them. Without that bit of info I'm not able to test to make sure the code is fixed.

A couple of the crashes were caused by the money mod. My best guess, at the moment, is an old shop chest(s) was found that hadn't been reset since the mod was updated.

As for the other crashes they were random things that hadn't caused crashes before from mods that have not been recently updated or tinkered with.

Hiccups happen. The server crashes a few times and then has gone on without a crash again for months.

The OS's cron checks, at 15 minutes past the hour and 45 minutes past the hour, to see if the Minetest server is running. Unless it is a serious crash, the cron will automatically restart the Minetest server.

There is one thing, I probably should mention again for newcomers who haven't read this thread's first post yet. The server shuts-down everyday at 10am GMT/5am EDT, for about twenty minutes, to run its backups. There is no warning so it can seem like a crash.

Kpenguin
IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

Hi,
Could I please change my character skin to the penguin that Worldblender has?
Thank you so much! I really like playing on this server! :)
Kpenguin
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

As for the coloring of wool, my colormachine might be of help. It doesn't recycle any dyes it scrubs off from nodes - but that's not a big problem as cheap dye sources can be used (i.e. coal or cactus). Save the flowers :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Kpenguin, I asked Worldblender if it was OK with him to use his skin. He would like to keep his skin unique on our server.

Please find another "tux" skin, a different skin, or customize one for yourself. A great resource is minecraftskins.com. That link is for the "stock" skins. You can also create your own skin on their editor page.

Most of our regular players have skins that are unique to them. It's one of the things that helps to better identify them (easier to describe them to other players, too).

Soko, thanks for the suggestion ;)

Recycling is a key element. It started as an experiment and it turns-out that we have several thrifty players among our regulars. Many of the crafting recipes' output has been increased, by a lot, which throws a spanner into the works of the existing recycling method. (Outputs for recipes were increased to encourage players to decorate more and to build with materials other than cobble while still requiring at least a little bit of time and effort on the part of the players - discourages the server-hopping, "gimme" players.).

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • Overview maps updated to 2015_08_02.
  • The cobble crafting chain has been tweaked to swap desert_sand and sand again... with a few extra mouse clicks. Cobble > gravel > sand > dirt > desert_sand > sand > dirt > desert_sand > sand > etc. (suggestion from klappspaten)

brencameron
In-game: Dusken

by brencameron » Post

Hello all!

I play online as Dusken, and I just want to say Thank You to all of you. You've been so welcoming the last couple of days as I get used to the server. I like all the custom stuff (e.g. no drowning, yay!), and apparently this is a HUGE sized server. Not used to having so much to explore.

I'm looking forward to building and planting, and creating a nice little place here at the bay that I settled at.

-- Dusken

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

brencameron wrote:Hello all!

I play online as Dusken, and I just want to say Thank You to all of you. You've been so welcoming the last couple of days as I get used to the server. I like all the custom stuff (e.g. no drowning, yay!), and apparently this is a HUGE sized server. Not used to having so much to explore.

I'm looking forward to building and planting, and creating a nice little place here at the bay that I settled at.

-- Dusken
Thanks, Dusken, and welcome to our server. ;)

Update
  • Hardwood (building_blocks:hardwood) can now be rotated with the screwdriver.
  • Axes (and picks and shovels) have been fixed so they don't wear-out when harvesting leaves and they instantly dig the leaves just like the wield-hand. The wield-hand is actually doing the work instead of the tool, hence no tool wear. As a bonus effect, most any other hand-held item that can be placed in the world will also instantly cut leaves. For example, refrigerators will cut leaves just as fast as a diamond axe.
Mentioning axes,... it used to be that mese axes were coded to chop faster than diamond axes but that was corrected in the official, default game some time ago.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update:
  • Overview maps updated to 2015_08_09.
  • Farming soils (tilled dry and tilled wet) can be rotated with the screwdriver to better suit the flow of the land.
  • FAKE dry and wet farming soils have been added. The wet version will not dry-out; neither will revert to regular dirt but they won't grow crops either. These are intended to simulate empty fields or to be used in pixel art. These fake soils also work with the screwdriver. (suggestion by klappspaten)
  • Potting soil has been added. Potting soil is a dark version of dirt that will grow crops without needing to be near water but is intended to be used for flower beds.
  • Fakegrass now works with the screwdriver. This is so dirt footpaths can have a feathered-grass edging and can also be used in flower beds with the same feathered-grass edging effect. Fakegrass is still fakegrass... no crop compatibility. (suggestion by klappspaten)
  • These additions will be active after tonight's backup.

Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

Thanks for changing my skin!
I was wondering if a mod could be installed that lets you see what other players are holding in their hand. The 3D armor mod has a "wield view" configuration option that enables you to do that. I would like to be able to see this.
Let me know what you think of this.
Thanks! :)
Kpenguin

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Kpenguin wrote:...
I was wondering if a mod could be installed that lets you see what other players are holding in their hand. The 3D armor mod has a "wield view" configuration option that enables you to do that. ...
Howdy, Kpenguin ;)

I checked-out 3D Armor a while ago and it didn't support many of the mods we use in LinuxGaming. I've added it to my ToDo list for the server to look at and study again.

No promises that it will be installed.

If I can figure out how it works to add support for our mods, the next task would be to disable/remove all of the armor. LinuxGaming is not a battle server. Swords were removed to reinforce this fact. Add in armor would go against that so I would want all reference to armor removed before the wield-hand display effect is added.

I still have a long list of things to take care of first so it will be quite a while before I can look into the 3D Armor mod again.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

How do playes cut leaves/grass/crops fast without swords?

noob101
In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Post

Dragonop, best with the bare hand, it received that functionality because of the fact that there are no swords!

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

Today I had to remove three, tree "towers" from in and around Spawntown.

The somewhat new player who created these towers has *not* been banned because they at least didn't create the towers to grief. I wish the player had used a little better judgement before creating them, though.

The problem with the towers was that they are not suitable for Spawntown.

Spawntown is a town, intended for town-like builds, confined in 15m x 15m lots, defined by a grid of roads surrounding the lots.

Creating giant, fantasy, super-trees, to maybe someday make into a tree village (like an Ewok village, for example) is a really cool idea if created in a rural forest area - *not* in an urban city area.

Folks, if you are going to build in an area that is already being developed, build in a style that is suitable for that area.

If the area's builds are contemporary urban, then build in a contemporary urban style.

If the area's builds are medieval looking, then build in a medieval style.

Have some consideration for your fellow builders and the server as a whole.

When in doubt, ask the admins, moderators, or the regulars who have been on the server for a long time. They will be familiar with the server's customs, protocols, and community standards.

To the player who created the tree towers, I saved the furnaces, their contents, and some of the other stuff in the trees. When we are ingame together again, remind me and I'll return the stuff to you.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update
  • Violet, magenta, pink, red, and yellow colored clays have had their hues and tints adjusted a bit. A little more blue in the violet and magenta clays, more yellow in the red clay, more red in the pink clay, and the yellow clay has been tinted down a little so it isn't as bright. The colored clays are intended to be the calm, pastel color pallet of the server while the colored wools are the bright, vibrant color pallet.
  • Building Blocks half-slabs work with the screwdriver now.
  • MoreBlocks has been updated to the 2015_07_31 release. No new toys; another batch of alternate recipes and the mesh-nodes have been cleaned-up a bit. As for all those alternate crafting recipes that MoreBlocks adds to craft stuff that can be done in the saw, I'm considering disabling those alternate recipes to reduce the number of alternate recipes players have to cycle through. For example, the default wood block has 20 alternate crafting recipes - 17 of those are from MoreBlocks. The three remaining alternate recipes are the ones that are actually used more frequently. Those 17 others can be done in the saw's output or recycling slots.

TheMiner
In-game: Thron

by TheMiner » Post

Some New Builds by me ;)

The Server To Be....

Thron

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Really sweet looking pics, Thron!

The hot-air balloon is a first on our server and looks great. ;)

I'll add your post to the "Featured Builds" link in the first post of this thread.

Good work ;)

Update
  • Overview maps updated to 2015_08_30
  • Moonrocks have been fixed for MT 0.4.13
Minetest 0.4.13 has been released but I've learned that it is best to wait and see how other MT servers fare with the new engines before upgrading our server. When that time comes, the server will most likely be down for an entire weekend; considering how long it took to run clearobjects and defrag the world database the last time.

In the meantime, I'll be working my way through some updates to the bigger mods we have installed. I want to get the mods updated and a few fixes taken care of before upgrading the Minetest server's engine.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Moonland

Moonrocks are the white, bounce-blocks that allows players to jump much, much higher.

Antimoonrocks are the magenta, stop blocks that players can safely land on without taking damage.

Moonland is an area covered with moonrocks with a few challenge areas. There are also serveral landing pads of antimoonrock where you can safely land to take a break. Some landing pads are on the ground, others are on the tops of structures. One landing pad is a transformed Acacia tree. Careful on your decent toward the tree. There are holes in the top and you may find yourself bouncing at the bottom.

The Travelnet will take you to an antimoonrock path that leads to a bumper-car-like area. The ground is antimoonrocks while the low-walls are moonrocks. Run at the walls and keep the run key held down and you will bounce back and forth. There are some corners, that if you get caught in them, you will bounce so fast that the screen will blur.

The go-point is "moonland" and it will land you on an antimoonrock pad that sits near the three bounce houses.

The first bounce house is a small cube that can be entered from the ground or from the air. Depending on how you angle your decent, you can either enter it from the top or some of the holes on the sides. Once inside, your bounce will rapidly increase in speed until the screen blurs with motion. Try to make it to the exits on the *sides* of the house without being shot through the slots in the roof.

The second bounce house is made up of different levels and platforms with many holes and a few landing spots. Forward and back, and side-to-side movement while rapidly bouncing, is difficult. Go through a hole in the floor and you might be stuck in the cave below. Go through a hole in the ceiling and you may overshoot past the moonrocks, and crash into the unforgiving ground.

The third bounce house is a sphere with lots of holes in its shell and only one antimoonrock inside. Can you reach the antimoonrock to stand still and view the world from inside the sphere or will you shoot through the top like a canon ball?

Near the lakes is a small ring suspended in the air. At the center of the ring is a solitary antimoonrock. Can you land on the antimoonrock or will you bounce through the ring every time?

The vertical wall is just another place to bounce off of... so long as you bounce back toward the center of Moonland. If you go through the holes in the wall, to the other side fast enough, you will be taking a dirt nap.

Moonland is an artificial moonscape, on a server, far, far, away and even though it may look incomplete it is fully operational! (bzzz-zap Pow! An entire planet is vaporized!) If you get that movie reference, then you'll know where the inspiration for one of the other builds in Moonland came from.

The first artificial moon I ever learned about, as a kid, was in the movie theater. The particular type of space ships flying around that artificial moon sprung to mind as I was expanding Moonland.

The ship is made mostly of moonrock and antimoonrock so you can bounce off of it or, if you are careful, you can land on different parts of the ship.

The interior is furnished as a cockpit, complete with navigation and weapons system computers and a pilot's seat and control stick.

At the back of the ship is it's propultion unit and at the front, green lazers are being fired.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Notice
After the backup, early Saturday morning (10am GMT/5am EDT), September 12th, I'll close the server to run clearobjects. The last time clearobjects was run it took about 8 hours to complete. Hopefully this will help knock-down the lag again.

Updates
  • Tweaks and Destinations were updated. No new toys; just code maintenance.
  • MoreOres was updated to 2015_06_20. No new toys; just code maintenance. The default, 16px textures were updated and Prot's patch for the mithril and silver hoes was applied. See: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?p=184913#p184913
  • HomeDecor swings now auto-rotate depending on which direction you are facing when you place them. (Code by Tim, suggestion by klappspaten)
    • Tim and I both have not been able to reproduce the deletion bug, locally on our home computers, that sometimes occurs when right-clicking on things with a HomeDecor item in hand. Reproducing it on the server hasn't been consistent enough either to figure out what the cause or trigger is.
  • Minetest Game's Farming has been tweaked so wheat seeds will grow, on their own without help from bonemeal, on wet, tilled, desert sand.
  • Travelnet has been updated to 2015_08_02's release. No new toys; just code maintenance that changed the booth and elevator to meshnodes.
  • I went through all the go-points and changed the "Mixed Case" titles to "all lower case" for easier typing.
  • Lavalamp and Lavalamp2 mods now return an empty bucket when crafting the lamps. (credit to brothersome for finding this.)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update

As I mentioned in the earlier post, the server was closed to run clearobjects last night.

About 7hrs into the operation, the server crashed because of "Invalid block data" - remnants of a previous crash. This happened a few months ago and, back then, the info was posted on a GitHub Issue that had already been started by another server-op. LinuxGaming is not the only Minetest server to have run into this particular problem. Hopefully, someday, the Minetest devs will be able to fix this bug.

After about an hour, with the help of noob101, Tim, and Miner_48er, (thanks guys) the problem appears to have been fixed but we won't know for sure until the next run of clearobjects (which was started about 3hrs ago) nears its end or completes.

Update 2

The fix worked and clearobjects was able to complete. After clearobjects finished I vacuumed/defragged the world database.

The server is open again. ;)

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2015_09_13

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Update: Overview maps updated to 2015_09_20.

Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

TheMiner wrote:Some New Builds by me ;)

The Server To Be....

Thron
Did we switch texture packs, or is it possible to view the server in your own texture pack?

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Kpenguin wrote:Did we switch texture packs, or is it possible to view the server in your own texture pack?
Howdy, Kpenquin ;)

No. The server is still using the default textures.

Thron took those screenshots while using a 64px texture pack called "Misa", which can be found here: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=274

Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

A new, funny creation by me. :D
It's based on a building in Stampylonghead and iBallisticSquid's quest video series.

Ps. Could you please fix/update my skin? I noticed the one I currently have has a blue spot on the rear end. Could you please update it to the one attached to this post. It's basically the same, I just got rid of the spot in this texture. Thanks!
Attachments
Kpenguin Skin.png
Kpenguin Skin.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
Last edited by Kpenguin on Thu Oct 15, 2015 02:16, edited 2 times in total.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

The face on the chest house is comical. ;) Nice screenshots of the exterior and interior, Kpenguin!

Your updated skin has been uploaded and the server restarted so it should be active now.