[Server] LinuxForks (Lots of trains)

SolidBlock
GitHub: SolidBlock_cn

Re: [Server] LinuxForks (Lots of trains)

by SolidBlock » Post

I can't register or log in to the server The wiki does not tell how to register.

Felfalido
GitHub: Felfa but in GitLab
IRC: Felfa or Are_16
In-game: Felfa

by Felfalido » Post

SolidBlock wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 01:54
I can't register or log in to the server The wiki does not tell how to register.
The server can sometimes disallow new registrations until a moderator is online for security reasons. Try to sign up again later and use the same credentials to log in to the wiki. Also note that usernames are case-sensitive both in Minetest and the wiki.
Debian & Arch GNU/Linux user - Libre software promoter - Antifa - Republican - Feminist - Atheist - Regular player at LinuxWorks server - Hi :-)

Okapi

by Okapi » Post

mary4 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 06:06
I genuinely LOVE this server and the community! <3
Yeah I admit I fell in love with that server, too. Landed there by accident a few days ago, when the server I played on had a series of crashes and wanted to just go for some sightseeing... and got stuck. Love the atmosphere. Bunch of funny nerds around :)

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

I have noticed that in this edit that the rail network used to be the only "large" one. How do you define large? Km of track (each track, quadruple track has 4* the length of single track)? Length of ballast? Is it the amount of trains? Amount of stations? Amount of platforms? Viaducts, tunnels and landscape bits? What is the exact figure?

I need this information mainly for curiosity, but also to judge the tracks on my server.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

56independent_actual

Felfalido wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 14:12
SolidBlock wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 01:54
The server can sometimes disallow new registrations until a moderator is online for security reasons. Try to sign up again later and use the same credentials to log in to the wiki. Also note that usernames are case-sensitive both in Minetest and the wiki.
Oh and also, sometimes the server locks down by making a universal password for new accounts.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

56independent_actual

Introduction
This is a shortened version of a much longer saga. Please read the wiki page if you want to know more than this simple summary.

I remember the long weeks I spent during the quarantine, mindlessly exploring your server. I loved the community. I loved the trains.

Then, the ban cycle started, an endless circle of bannings and expirations. I then irritated them enough to have them remove all my pages from public eyes. I cried. I had no backups.

The question
I wish to leave the server permanently. But one thing holds me back, one unpaid debt which gives me grief to this day - my lost pages. I feel I cannot truly leave the server in the past until I receive my pages. Independia (the settlement, not the page) is saved to disk, but my wiki pages are not. I request only the wikitext in the form of separate files for each lost page. They can be delivered in any form, as long as it is online.

Please let me reaccess my work, my writing. I understand you want to burn all traces of me. I understand you hate me, but I guarantee I will no longer pester you with the LF drama after I reclaim my past.

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 18:52
I wish to leave the server permanently.
As this entire drama has lasted long enough to make me impatient now: you can leave the server; just keep you a@# out of the server and anything related (forum thread, wiki, etc).
But one thing holds me back, one unpaid debt which gives me grief to this day - my lost pages. I feel I cannot truly leave the server in the past until I receive my pages. Independia (the settlement, not the page) is saved to disk, but my wiki pages are not. I request only the wikitext in the form of separate files for each lost page. They can be delivered in any form, as long as it is online.
That is your problem. We do not respond to "I have lost my pages here; can you please send them to me" queries, and, in particular, not to one that lasts for months and comes with multiple instances of harassment. We have had enough now, and no, you are not getting back your pages. Period.
Last edited by yw05 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

Please let me reaccess my work, my writing. I understand you want to burn all traces of me. I understand you hate me, but I guarantee I will no longer pester you with the LF drama after I reclaim my past.
Well, you could have behaved, then none of this would have happened. I have zero motivation to deal with you. You vandalized my wiki several times, talked shit about my server on discord, doxxed me, filmed videos trying to defame me on youtube and threatened to mail me fecal matter to my work address, and you do not accept your permaban, and keep trying to log into my server (several log in attempts at 2021-06-19, 2021-06-22, 2021-06-30, 2021-07-02). You were banned forever for good reason, and you should stop blackmailing me over various channels. If this harassment doesn't stop, I will take further measures to ensure it does.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Fri Jul 02, 2021 17:34
I have noticed that in this edit that the rail network used to be the only "large" one. How do you define large? Km of track (each track, quadruple track has 4* the length of single track)? Length of ballast? Is it the amount of trains? Amount of stations? Amount of platforms? Viaducts, tunnels and landscape bits? What is the exact figure?

I need this information mainly for curiosity, but also to judge the tracks on my server.
This sentence is from a time (specifically, from April 2019) when LinuxForks was really the only server that had a train network that was more than "1 shuttle train from spawn to the mountains" (ok, I admit there was at least one that had 3-4 normal train lines and a few shuttles - IIRC Pandorabox). There were no other servers that had a subway system with 8 lines serving the whole Spawn area and multiple long-distance (and by this I mean 5-10km) lines. I might add that this time was only three months after the release of the interlocking system, and many servers hadn't upgraded yet.

Because now there are multiple other servers with train networks of considerable size (e.g. Tunnelers Abyss), the sentence in its original form no longer held true, thus I edited it.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

56independent_actual

orwell wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 18:40

This sentence is from a time (specifically, from April 2019) when LinuxForks was really the only server that had a train network that was more than "1 shuttle train from spawn to the mountains" (ok, I admit there was at least one that had 3-4 normal train lines and a few shuttles - IIRC Pandorabox). There were no other servers that had a subway system with 8 lines serving the whole Spawn area and multiple long-distance (and by this I mean 5-10km) lines. I might add that this time was only three months after the release of the interlocking system, and many servers hadn't upgraded yet.

Because now there are multiple other servers with train networks of considerable size (e.g. Tunnelers Abyss), the sentence in its original form no longer held true, thus I edited it.
So I would be correct in assuming (sorry, my autistic brain attempts to numberise everything) that if a server fulfills this list, then it has an "Expansive Rail Network"?
  • >=3 Lines of >=5 Km
  • >=5 Lines around the main area of the map
  • >=10 stations

yw05

by yw05 » Post

Sun Jul 04, 2021 19:03
orwell wrote:

So I would be correct in assuming (sorry, my autistic brain attempts to numberise everything) that if a server fulfills this list, then it has an "Expansive Rail Network"?
  • >=3 Lines of >=5 Km
  • >=10 stations
Here's my 2c on this matter (assuming we are talking about passenger lines):

A simple "l lines adding up to m km with n stations" does not sum up everything, especially considering the different methods of transportation. You likely need to have both local transportation (e.g. subway lines in a metropolian area) and longer rail lines (e.g. train lines that let people travel between cities). This is not something that a simple track/train/line/station/TS/signal count can cover.

My personal opinion is that it comes to a matter of coverage:
  • How easy it is to travel (with trains, for example) between two parts of a city and between cities?
  • How long does it take to reach the nearest train/subway station from (almost) any given point in a city?
  • Do the lines make sense? (e.g. are there lines that just connect unpopulated areas?)
That's something that can vary between different parts of the map depending on the situation (size of the settlements, zoning, etc)

On LF for example, there are urban centers where you can walk to a subway station in 20~60 seconds, but also smaller towns in relatively remote areas that only have a single train station.

There is also the consideration of demand. LF heavily relies on trains for passenger transportation, and there are multiple settlements on the map. There is the need of having train lines to cover these areas, and that's how the network grew. From that perspective, it may also be a matter of the size of the map.

56independent_actual

yw05 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 20:02
Sun Jul 04, 2021 19:03
orwell wrote:

• >=3 Lines of >=5 Km
  • >=10 stations
Here's my 2c on this matter (assuming we are talking about passenger lines):

A simple "l lines adding up to m km with n stations" does not sum up everything, especially considering the different methods of transportation. You likely need to have both local transportation (e.g. subway lines in a metropolian area) and longer rail lines (e.g. train lines that let people travel between cities). This is not something that a simple track/train/line/station/TS/signal count can cover.

My personal opinion is that it comes to a matter of coverage:
  • How easy it is to travel (with trains, for example) between two parts of a city and between cities?
  • How long does it take to reach the nearest train/subway station from (almost) any given point in a city?
  • Do the lines make sense? (e.g. are there lines that just connect unpopulated areas?)
That's something that can vary between different parts of the map depending on the situation (size of the settlements, zoning, etc)

On LF for example, there are urban centers where you can walk to a subway station in 20~60 seconds, but also smaller towns in relatively remote areas that only have a single train station.

There is also the consideration of demand. LF heavily relies on trains for passenger transportation, and there are multiple settlements on the map. There is the need of having train lines to cover these areas, and that's how the network grew. From that perspective, it may also be a matter of the size of the map.
On my server, it has so much lag that trains can barely move, and accelerate really slowly. This makes trains painful as serious transit for passengers and means rail transit for passengers is considered a "novelty". Passenger discouragement does not affect the size of the network. How does this lag change the statistics, and how large the network is?

On my server, the walking speed is set to 10. This means that a walk that would take 10 seconds in LF (assuming walk speed of 6) would only take (6*10)/10 (using speed*time for distance, then distance/speed for time), or 6 seconds on my server.

This means that there should either be standards or cheating. And of course, the standards will always have a bias towards a certain server with a certain profile of lag and walk speed. Even a default singleplayer standard would bias towards a server with default walkspeed, a good network, and powerful hardware.

I belive that using cold, hard numbers with a slight bias towards accessibility is the best way to rate a server's railway infastructure.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

... my work, my writing ...
"You can use network services to communicate information, but don't depend on them as a place to preserve it" - Richard Stallman. If something matters, keep it locally, keep it on a blog that you own, but don't keep it on someone else's server. It's harsh to view it this way, we all like to think whatever we put on the internet will be there forever, but there's no such guarantee.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

yw05

by yw05 » Post

This is off-topic now. I will reply it here, but then you should probably ask somewhere else.
Sun Jul 04, 2021 20:19
On my server, it has so much lag that trains can barely move, and accelerate really slowly. This makes trains painful as serious transit for passengers and means rail transit for passengers is considered a "novelty". Passenger discouragement does not affect the size of the network. How does this lag change the statistics, and how large the network is?
Agreed. It does not physically change the size of the network. However, lag would likely mean that people would prefer other means of transportation. While you can still have a large rail network, it's a failure if people prefer to just walk, and it's unlikely for the network to expand (hence what I said about demand).
On my server, the walking speed is set to 10. This means that a walk that would take 10 seconds in LF (assuming walk speed of 6) would only take (6*10)/10 (using speed*time for distance, then distance/speed for time), or 6 seconds on my server.
There is more to that than just the distance.

Such a problem does not exist IRL because people tend to walk at about the same speed. In game, however, walking faster means that you could also make stations further apart, as trains would, relative to walking speed, travel slower and people might not want to take the hassle of going to train/subway stations if stations were too close together. This also means that servers with lower walking speed need more tracks to serve the same area, which itself also brings different methods of measuring a network:
  • The simple node/track/line/service/station/train count, and
  • The measurement of service coverage
In the situation you mentioned, the two methods can yield different results.

A third method is to "scale" the networks to remove the factors of walking speed and relative speed of the trains. However, there are also two values that can be used for reference:
  • Walking speed,
  • Difference between the speed of trains and walking speed

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

much longer saga
I sure hope this link didn't give my PC a virus or something. It's sus when there is an ip-address instead of a normal domain name. Anyone with network knowledge know anything?
This is a cool signature. :)

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

LRV wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 04:40
much longer saga
I sure hope this link didn't give my PC a virus or something. It's sus when there is an ip-address instead of a normal domain name. Anyone with network knowledge know anything?
via https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup

get

Code: Select all

IP Address	Country	Region	City
2.26.38.198	United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 	England	Northampton
ISP	Organization	Latitude	Longitude
EE Limited	Not Available 	52.2500	-0.8833
Geolocation data from ipinfo.io (Product: API, real-time)

2.26.38.198	United Kingdom 	England	Winsford
EE Limited	Orange WBC Broadband (ee.co.uk) 	53.1915	-2.5240
Geolocation data from DB-IP (Product: Full, 2021-7-1)

2.26.38.198	United Kingdom 	England	London
EE Limited	Not Available 	51.5074	-0.127758
Geolocation data from IPGeolocation.io (Product: API, real-time)

2.26.38.198	United Kingdom 	England	London
EE Limited	EE Limited 	51.60999	-0.24436
EE Limited = Provider

but this link, even the folder or just the root doesn't send anything to me ... Ubuntu
page is empty, net even one code (vie code option)
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Calm down people, it's just that 56independent doesn't have a domain name for his server. They can be had pretty inexpensively, yes, but having a domain is also not a guarantee that the site is trustworthy either.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 08:01
Calm down people, it's just that 56independent doesn't have a domain name for his server. They can be had pretty inexpensively, yes, but having a domain is also not a guarantee that the site is trustworthy either.
I know that, but for using an IP you need to have a fixed IP (not every 24h changing)
but anyway ... the web-?-server doesn't deliver ...

but LRV,
there are webpages, you can check another page for virus without a danger for yourself
(as I was IT-Security Teacher for 3 years ...)
https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/2.26.38.198

56independent_actual

Festus1965 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:49
Blockhead wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 08:01
I know that, but for using an IP you need to have a fixed IP (not every 24h changing)
but anyway ... the web-?-server doesn't deliver ...

but LRV,
there are webpages, you can check another page for virus without a danger for yourself
(as I was IT-Security Teacher for 3 years ...)
https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/2.26.38.198
It's easy: The IP changes monthly (to one IP in one day, and a few days later, to the month's IP). And as such, i have now gotten a domain, at 56i.duckdns.org, where if the IP changes, you wont get a 404. I have not figured out subdomains yet, but hopefully i can get them to work. Use nslookup if you dont/cant want to use domains, i guess

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Ddns isn't the same as a domain. That said, anyone can host anything anywhere. In the end it all comes down to trusting random links on internet forums (never a good idea.)
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

56independent_actual

Maverick2797 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 07:04
Ddns isn't the same as a domain. That said, anyone can host anything anywhere. In the end it all comes down to trusting random links on internet forums (never a good idea.)
I know it is, but one day, I wish I could have a domain without being a subdomain of a domain. One day, I will buy a domain.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Mon Jul 12, 2021 06:42
at 56i.duckdns.org, where if the IP changes, you wont get a 404.
Ok, that works
but next you need to about is a bit of html or php basic

<h1>index</h1>
<p>hello! You have reached 56i’s IP address. Here is a home-labbed web server. Please click on any of the links below to go to that section of the website:</p>

<ul>
<li><a href="http://56i.duckdns.org/wordpress">main site</a></li>
<li><a href="http://56i.duckdns.org/dokuwiki">dokuwiki, for my minetest server</a></li>
<li><a href="http://56i.duckdns.org/Stikked">pastebin</a></li>
<li><a href="http://56i.duckdns.org/old_site">archived website i made</a></li>
</ul>
missing header, important for many things

<head>
... some like search words, date/time, title ...
</head>
then between <body>
is that part you wrote allready
</body>

if your 'webserver is configured for also sub domain, and this is also prepared in webserver service, I might work ... I didn't test it myself, as my 2 domains have the subdomains included, and use same system get updated from the router when IP changes ...

56independent_actual

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:17
Mon Jul 12, 2021 06:42
at 56i.duckdns.org, where if the IP changes, you wont get a 404.
Ok, that works
but next you need to about is a bit of html or php basic

<h1>index</h1>
<p>hello! You have reached 56i’s IP address. Here is a home-labbed web server. Please click on any of the links below to go to that section of the website:</p>

<ul>
<li><a href="http://56i.duckdns.org/wordpress">main site</a></li>
<li><a href="http://56i.duckdns.org/dokuwiki">dokuwiki, for my minetest server</a></li>
<li><a href="http://56i.duckdns.org/Stikked">pastebin</a></li>
<li><a href="http://56i.duckdns.org/old_site">archived website i made</a></li>
</ul>
missing header, important for many things

<head>
... some like search words, date/time, title ...
</head>
then between <body>
is that part you wrote allready
</body>

if your 'webserver is configured for also sub domain, and this is also prepared in webserver service, I might work ... I didn't test it myself, as my 2 domains have the subdomains included, and use same system get updated from the router when IP changes ...
I don't care about the integrity of that file. I do not wish to add boilerplate to a landing page which is meant to direct users to better parts of my website.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Mon Jul 12, 2021 15:00
I don't care about the integrity of that file. I do not wish to add boilerplate to a landing page which is meant to direct users to better parts of my website.
You should, as of 2-3 reasons:
* some browser will block earlier or later the access to your page as of NOT html conform
* visitors might not come anymore as of warnings
* get hacked ... as of outdated software ...

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/56i.duckdns.org

as of there are more new options I just reads also myself, I am just updating my both webpages also as of this

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

Can I be whitelisted on this server please?
This is a cool signature. :)