[Server] just test

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

Re: [Server] just test

by parasite » Post

Well, I do not have any idea how my small base could be totally erased from the map, with protectors, cityblocks and protected chests. It do not looks like any lava, tnt or something.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Unfortunately, quite a few builds were partially or even wholly destroyed as a result of the recent map shrink. The Bums' Base was leveled. The roof of Player17' house was ripped away. My tree farm was cut in half. Sections of dimpo's mineshaft were obliterated.

Thankfully, I happened to catch lag on the server yesterday. So I alerted him to these problems. However, I'm not sure what can be done to reverse the mapgen griefs at this point.

In fairness, I'm glad that lag finally returned after four months absence. I just wasn't expecting so much destruction to ensue xD

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

sorcerykid wrote:Unfortunately, quite a few builds were partially or even wholly destroyed as a result of the recent map shrink. The Bums' Base was leveled. The roof of Player17' house was ripped away. My tree farm was cut in half. Sections of dimpo's mineshaft were obliterated.

Thankfully, I happened to catch lag on the server yesterday. So I alerted him to these problems. However, I'm not sure what can be done to reverse the mapgen griefs at this point.

In fairness, I'm glad that lag finally returned after four months absence. I just wasn't expecting so much destruction to ensue xD
I have the same problem! See what happened with my territory!

In the middle leaking a river now instead stone blocks and also half my the house done of aspen wood! HOW PITY!!!!!!!!!!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Wow that is bad :( How far is your building from spawn?

I'm wondering what parameters lag used for the mapshrink. It seems that the entire world was affected, not just remote areas.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

sorcerykid wrote:Wow that is bad :( How far is your building from spawn?

I'm wondering what parameters lag used for the mapshrink. It seems that the entire world was affected, not just remote areas.
My house is being no far from spawn. Later i will say you along what horizont direction road (on the spawn) you can go to get to my house (West, East, North or South, i don`t know).

Really did Lag do it? What for and how could he do it?

parasite

by parasite » Post

Belt of water placed diagonally in this picture is something new. It looks like traces of bulldozer. Here was my base embellished with big obsidian inverted pentagram :D (you can see that single chest left), a little green-dirt area and a road (you can see that some parts of that structures left). All protectors from this area disappeared, even those located outside of that cleared-belt. In background there were other players buildings (you can see part of higher building survived):

Here you can see destroyed road and higher building. That building was complete earlier , but now it looks like it was cut in half:

And here was a bridge connected to a distant tunnel:
Attachments
del3.jpg
del3.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 607 times
del2.jpg
del2.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 607 times
del1.jpg
del1.jpg (64.18 KiB) Viewed 607 times

parasite

by parasite » Post

Old screenshot of a bridge mentioned above:

Attachments
bridge.jpg
bridge.jpg (63.66 KiB) Viewed 607 times

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

The mapshrink will re-activate all river / canyon paths and will cut through regardless of what was there.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

All that damage looks so funky. :D
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

IMO map shrinks should NEVER happen, or you might get this. smh.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

BBmine wrote:IMO map shrinks should NEVER happen, or you might get this. smh.
But lag has used mapshrink for over 4 years. We should expect it.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

maikerumine wrote:
BBmine wrote:IMO map shrinks should NEVER happen, or you might get this. smh.
But lag has used mapshrink for over 4 years. We should expect it.
I know, and I remember when he did it when I was still a n00b. No, when I was watching the video you made when I was just a n00b. Before I ever joined just test.

lag01
GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Post

maikerumine wrote:The mapshrink will re-activate all river / canyon paths and will cut through regardless of what was there.
When i did mapshrink, i thought that maybe i have disabled rivers/canyons. Guess not...
I restored some blocks, but algorithm is very rough now and i cannot restore more without making more mess.

For info:
that time i did mapshrink
cleaned player files - there was over 100k
cleaned auth.txt - it was over 80MB
Last edited by lag01 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

lag01 wrote:
maikerumine wrote:The mapshrink will re-activate all river / canyon paths and will cut through regardless of what was there.
When i did mapshrink, i thought that maybe i have disabled rivers/canyons. Guess not...
I restored some blocks, but algorithm is very rough now and i cannot restore more without making more mess.
Do you have backups from before the mapgen grief? It's a good idea to keep daily backups, and delete ones a month old to save HDD space.

Dimpo
In-game: -

by Dimpo » Post

-
Last edited by Dimpo on Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

trees, rivers and caves can be deactivate for a spell to prevent those "gens" from ripping through things while mapgen is generating the deleted blocks. I do it all the time when activating map data I've downloaded locally.

map_meta.txt

Code: Select all

mgv7_spflags = noridges, nocaverns, notrees, nojungles
and

Code: Select all

mg_flags = nocaves, nodungeons
Then later when the important map blocks (spawn and such) are loaded, revert the above mentioned flags and the various "gens" will not be triggered and everything will be untouched.

iisu

by iisu » Post

For real tho, fuck the generator. I can't even have my builds that I save locally on a singleplayer because this piece of crap thinks it's a great idea to… generate biomes on them.
I can't recreate the world on a singleplayer to see where the blocks originally have been to fix griefed places that I want to preserve in their natural state or rebuild their natural shapes or to simply work with the terrain because this piece of craps generates plants, caves, rivers in different position.
On another server I have a house in a hill in a valley by a sea, a beautiful and original location but it's heavily griefed because it's an anarchy server and a spawn used to be near it. I wanted to reconstruct the valley and bring it back to it's natural state but the caves are in different places than they should be and there are piles of dirt and silver sand on the hills' walls which shouldn't be there at all. My friend has a house on the beach in the valley but on my singleplayer map in its place there's a giant hole in the ground that sucks the sea in. Why do I need to know exactly how it looked when originally generated? To know where to build to make it look natural. The best way to make stuff look natural is to copy the nature.

On JT2 borders between chunks are often sharp and there are floating chunks of mountains cut on one or more sides. I'm not sure what happens here, you know better than me, but it looks like there are different generators used (JT2 is based on JT's map and they both have a custom generator, afaik). Isn't there an option to interpolate between different generators in such case? I wouldn't be surprised if there was no such option but there should be.

So, if I understand correctly, you erased information about where the canyons and rivers are so the piece of crap thought it was a good idea to generate new ones, which in this case was a good idea because otherwise you would end up with a boring world with no rivers/canyons unless one travels far enough to find unexplored chunks. But it should at least take care to prompt you and ask if you want the rivers/canyons to generate again and how you want them to generate. It should never ever touch nodes placed by other players, that is (in most cases) nodes that differ from the ones you can generate from the seed, unless you specify that you want to overwrite such nodes. A simple check to save a life.
Last edited by iisu on Tue Oct 17, 2017 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

@lisa Be sure to have the seed in the map_meta.txt! Or it will generate map that makes no sense at all and will not blend with your local copy.
Also servers, or worlds like JT2 have had the mapgens swapped so much that blending is totally unpredictable when trying to import and run.

iisu

by iisu » Post

ExeterDad wrote:@lisa Be sure to have the seed in the map_meta.txt! Or it will generate map that makes no sense at all and will not blend with your local copy.
I know it and I use the correct seed and the correct mapgen (v6, iirc). And everything is fine except for the biomes, the plants and the caves.
ExeterDad wrote:Also servers, or worlds like JT2 have had the mapgens swapped so much that blending is totally unpredictable when trying to import and run.
Just interpolate. Even if it doesn't always give the best results, it's always better than leaving sharp edges.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

No there is no interpolation between map blocks. That would be an issue to take up with the core devs not the server ops.

Moreover, mgv7 (which is used on JT2) produces different terrain depending on the engine version, even with the same map_meta.txt. You can test this by creating a map in Minetest 0.4.10 and then another map in Minetest 0.4.14 using an identical map seed. This is partly to blame for the mismatched mapblock boundaries on JT2.

iisu

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:No there is no interpolation between map blocks. That would be an issue to take up with the core devs not the server ops.
Yes, I'm complaining about core functionalities and you don't have much to do with this issue. I just needed to spill my guts.
sorcerykid wrote:Moreover, mgv7 (which is used on JT2) produces different terrain depending on the engine version, even with the same map_meta.txt.
Well, this is horribly bad and it reminds me one more thing: when they add new blocks to be generated like they did with tin and silver sand and aspens they only generate in newer chunks. Not only does it make the distribution of the blocks look messy (I can't find something for thousands of blocks and then there are tons of it) but also makes people go further away from the spawn and generate more world and accelerate the growth of the map. And the best part is they do this with no good reason (tin, silver sand, corals).

Sorry for the offtopic.

Dimpo

by Dimpo » Post

-
Last edited by Dimpo on Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Dimpo wrote:Does anyone know how to recreate this glowing ladder effect?

Looks like a glitch to me.

Dimpo

by Dimpo » Post

-
Last edited by Dimpo on Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:14, edited 2 times in total.

AspireMint
GitHub: AspireMint
IRC: AspireMint
In-game: AspireMint

by AspireMint » Post

Its daylight, not glowing ladder.
Dig 2x1 hole and put ladder, tadaaa (see last image).