[Server] just test

iisu

GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

Re: [Server] just test

by iisu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 18:38

All that damage looks so funky. :D
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

BBmine

GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Tue Oct 17, 2017 20:18

IMO map shrinks should NEVER happen, or you might get this. smh.
God's not dead! -- Mods, Servers, My Youtube Channel My forum Good Music -- Never gonna give you up!!

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Tue Oct 17, 2017 20:48

BBmine wrote:IMO map shrinks should NEVER happen, or you might get this. smh.

But lag has used mapshrink for over 4 years. We should expect it.

BBmine

by BBmine » Tue Oct 17, 2017 21:07

maikerumine wrote:
BBmine wrote:IMO map shrinks should NEVER happen, or you might get this. smh.

But lag has used mapshrink for over 4 years. We should expect it.

I know, and I remember when he did it when I was still a n00b. No, when I was watching the video you made when I was just a n00b. Before I ever joined just test.
God's not dead! -- Mods, Servers, My Youtube Channel My forum Good Music -- Never gonna give you up!!

lag01

GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 21:35

maikerumine wrote:The mapshrink will re-activate all river / canyon paths and will cut through regardless of what was there.

When i did mapshrink, i thought that maybe i have disabled rivers/canyons. Guess not...
I restored some blocks, but algorithm is very rough now and i cannot restore more without making more mess.

For info:
that time i did mapshrink
cleaned player files - there was over 100k
cleaned auth.txt - it was over 80MB
Last edited by lag01 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

BBmine

by BBmine » Tue Oct 17, 2017 21:37

lag01 wrote:
maikerumine wrote:The mapshrink will re-activate all river / canyon paths and will cut through regardless of what was there.

When i did mapshrink, i thought that maybe i have disabled rivers/canyons. Guess not...
I restored some blocks, but algorithm is very rough now and i cannot restore more without making more mess.

Do you have backups from before the mapgen grief? It's a good idea to keep daily backups, and delete ones a month old to save HDD space.

Dimpo

In-game: -

by Dimpo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 22:08

-
Last edited by Dimpo on Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Tue Oct 17, 2017 22:28

trees, rivers and caves can be deactivate for a spell to prevent those "gens" from ripping through things while mapgen is generating the deleted blocks. I do it all the time when activating map data I've downloaded locally.

map_meta.txt
Code: Select all
mgv7_spflags = noridges, nocaverns, notrees, nojungles

and
Code: Select all
mg_flags = nocaves, nodungeons

Then later when the important map blocks (spawn and such) are loaded, revert the above mentioned flags and the various "gens" will not be triggered and everything will be untouched.

iisu

by iisu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 23:05

For real tho, fuck the generator. I can't even have my builds that I save locally on a singleplayer because this piece of crap thinks it's a great idea to… generate biomes on them.
I can't recreate the world on a singleplayer to see where the blocks originally have been to fix griefed places that I want to preserve in their natural state or rebuild their natural shapes or to simply work with the terrain because this piece of craps generates plants, caves, rivers in different position.
On another server I have a house in a hill in a valley by a sea, a beautiful and original location but it's heavily griefed because it's an anarchy server and a spawn used to be near it. I wanted to reconstruct the valley and bring it back to it's natural state but the caves are in different places than they should be and there are piles of dirt and silver sand on the hills' walls which shouldn't be there at all. My friend has a house on the beach in the valley but on my singleplayer map in its place there's a giant hole in the ground that sucks the sea in. Why do I need to know exactly how it looked when originally generated? To know where to build to make it look natural. The best way to make stuff look natural is to copy the nature.

On JT2 borders between chunks are often sharp and there are floating chunks of mountains cut on one or more sides. I'm not sure what happens here, you know better than me, but it looks like there are different generators used (JT2 is based on JT's map and they both have a custom generator, afaik). Isn't there an option to interpolate between different generators in such case? I wouldn't be surprised if there was no such option but there should be.

So, if I understand correctly, you erased information about where the canyons and rivers are so the piece of crap thought it was a good idea to generate new ones, which in this case was a good idea because otherwise you would end up with a boring world with no rivers/canyons unless one travels far enough to find unexplored chunks. But it should at least take care to prompt you and ask if you want the rivers/canyons to generate again and how you want them to generate. It should never ever touch nodes placed by other players, that is (in most cases) nodes that differ from the ones you can generate from the seed, unless you specify that you want to overwrite such nodes. A simple check to save a life.
Last edited by iisu on Tue Oct 17, 2017 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Tue Oct 17, 2017 23:19

@lisa Be sure to have the seed in the map_meta.txt! Or it will generate map that makes no sense at all and will not blend with your local copy.
Also servers, or worlds like JT2 have had the mapgens swapped so much that blending is totally unpredictable when trying to import and run.

iisu

by iisu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 23:28

ExeterDad wrote:@lisa Be sure to have the seed in the map_meta.txt! Or it will generate map that makes no sense at all and will not blend with your local copy.

I know it and I use the correct seed and the correct mapgen (v6, iirc). And everything is fine except for the biomes, the plants and the caves.

ExeterDad wrote:Also servers, or worlds like JT2 have had the mapgens swapped so much that blending is totally unpredictable when trying to import and run.
Just interpolate. Even if it doesn't always give the best results, it's always better than leaving sharp edges.

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Wed Oct 18, 2017 04:15

No there is no interpolation between map blocks. That would be an issue to take up with the core devs not the server ops.

Moreover, mgv7 (which is used on JT2) produces different terrain depending on the engine version, even with the same map_meta.txt. You can test this by creating a map in Minetest 0.4.10 and then another map in Minetest 0.4.14 using an identical map seed. This is partly to blame for the mismatched mapblock boundaries on JT2.

iisu

by iisu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 06:18

sorcerykid wrote:No there is no interpolation between map blocks. That would be an issue to take up with the core devs not the server ops.

Yes, I'm complaining about core functionalities and you don't have much to do with this issue. I just needed to spill my guts.

sorcerykid wrote:Moreover, mgv7 (which is used on JT2) produces different terrain depending on the engine version, even with the same map_meta.txt.
Well, this is horribly bad and it reminds me one more thing: when they add new blocks to be generated like they did with tin and silver sand and aspens they only generate in newer chunks. Not only does it make the distribution of the blocks look messy (I can't find something for thousands of blocks and then there are tons of it) but also makes people go further away from the spawn and generate more world and accelerate the growth of the map. And the best part is they do this with no good reason (tin, silver sand, corals).

Sorry for the offtopic.

Dimpo

by Dimpo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 15:05

-
Last edited by Dimpo on Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

BBmine

by BBmine » Wed Oct 18, 2017 15:58

Dimpo wrote:Does anyone know how to recreate this glowing ladder effect?

Looks like a glitch to me.

Dimpo

by Dimpo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 16:58

-
Last edited by Dimpo on Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:14, edited 2 times in total.

AspireMint

by AspireMint » Wed Oct 18, 2017 17:27

Its daylight, not glowing ladder.
Dig 2x1 hole and put ladder, tadaaa (see last image).

Lana1209

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 17:53

AspireMint is correct. Daylight will travel down a hole unlimited as long as there isn't anything blocking it, or it's not night :)

Dimpo

by Dimpo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 18:29

-

iisu

by iisu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 19:12

Dimpo wrote:It is a glitch, but it would be a useful one if it can be recreated, no need to place torches when mining.

Minetest - a place where bugs and glitches are called features and useful.
If it could be recreated, that would lead to cheating just like with the sneak ladders problem we once had.

Dimpo wrote:No it's not daylight, the shaft the ladder is in does not reach the surface. The ladder is not reflecting light, it is actively emitting light. It glows constantly, even at night. I have ruled out contact with lava, nyan cats, nyan rainbows or mese blocks as the cause.

It's radioactive! Run for your life!

Dimpo

by Dimpo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 19:30

-

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixerol » Thu Oct 19, 2017 20:51

also makes people go further away from the spawn and generate more world and accelerate the growth of the map

Why not if not forbidden?

Dimpo

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Fri Oct 27, 2017 21:09

iisu, I sense your frustration. It's never made sense to me why the mapgen v7 algorithm is inconsistent across different engine versions (all within the same 0.4.x branch). In essense there is no guaranteed way to ensure map continuity. It's basically a crapshoot. I understand that the core devs sometimes choose to fine-tune the code, but that shouldn't interfere with the integrity of existing worlds.

On a somewhat related note, maike posted a couple videos showcasing the "ill effects" of the recent mapshrink on the underworld.

The good news is that lag seems to have rectified some of the map griefs mentioned above. Let's hope the worst is behind us now :)

PreviousNext

Return to Servers