[OFFLINE] [0.4.13] GunshipPenguin's PvE server

GunshipPenguin
GitHub: GunshipPenguin
IRC: GunshipPenguin
In-game: GunshipPenguin

[OFFLINE] [0.4.13] GunshipPenguin's PvE server

by GunshipPenguin » Post

This is a PvE (Player versus Environment) server hosted in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

My goal with this server is to create a fun survival environment that has enough mods to make things fun, but not enough to bog down the game and make things confusing.

The map of this server will be reset with each new release of the minetest engine or every few months, depending on how I see fit.

This server brings itself down automatically every 6 hours for about 3-4 minutes to back up the map.

Installed Mods:
  • -Mobs
    • tenplus1's Mobs mod. Adds various passive and agressive mobs to the game.
    -Sprint
    • My sprint mod. Press e to sprint and move 50% faster than your normal walking speed. Your stamina will go down when sprinting, and is represented by the green arrows above your health statbar.
    -Advanced Area Protection
    • Self protection is enabled. Each player may protect up to four areas with a maximum size of 128x128x128 per area.
    -serveressentials
    -3d Armor Modpack
    -worldedit
    -locked_sign

Other tweaks and changes:
  • -movement_speed_walk = 5
    • Slightly faster walk speed
    -Fire and TNT are disabled

Default Privs:
  • -Interact
    -Shout
    -Home
    -Spawn
Rules:
  • Rule #1: Do not ask for free stuff. This includes items and extra privs. Repeated asking/nagging will result in a mute.
    Rule #2: Do not spam the chat. Chat spammers are automatically kicked.
    Rule #3: Swearing is allowed, but try to keep the swearing to a minimum.
    Rule #4: While this is not a strictly English only server, try to speak English whenever possible.
    Rule #5: Treat others on the server the way that you would want to be treated.
    Rule #6: Using modified clients to grief or break any of the previous rules will result in a permanent ban.
gunshippenguin.com:30000

Screenshot of the spawn area.
Last edited by GunshipPenguin on Mon May 23, 2016 02:07, edited 23 times in total.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: [0.4.10] GunshipPenguin's PvE server

by ExeterDad » Post

Have fun with it and good luck :)

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Your choice of mods is good but the server settings could be better.
Please increase the setting max_simultaneous_block_sends_server_total to something like 100 and set max_block_send_distance to 5.
Currently, it takes minutes until a block is loaded. This problem should be solved with the settings above.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Krock wrote:Your choice of mods is good but the server settings could be better.
Please increase the setting max_simultaneous_block_sends_server_total to something like 100 and set max_block_send_distance to 5.
Currently, it takes minutes until a block is loaded. This problem should be solved with the settings above.

Thanks for the advice. I changed those values in my minetest.config.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

+1

Please use mgv6 (it's faster)
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

srifqi wrote:+1

That would mean resetting the whole world (if you don't want to see sudden cuts in the world)…

mg is fine, a Lua mapgen gives you full control over what is generated, without having to edit the C++ code.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Calinou wrote:

That would mean resetting the whole world (if you don't want to see sudden cuts in the world)…

mg is fine, a Lua mapgen gives you full control over what is generated, without having to edit the C++ code.

I did switch to mgv6 last night. I do have a copy of the old mg world though. So if this map dosen't work out or something, I can switch back to the old mg world.

Nemo
In-game: Nemo

by Nemo » Post

I have been really enjoying playing on the server. I love the survival aspect. Went mining for a bit, when I decided I wanted to build a house I tried protecting an area but the server said that self protects weren't allowed or I didn't have the needed privilege.

So, a couple of suggestions:
1: Allow self-protects.
2: Add a /spawn command.
3. And add some sort of crafting guide.

Zeno Effect
In-game: Zeno_Effect

by Zeno Effect » Post

Hi, I can not connect to the sever. I passed out and left the game on by mistake and when I woke up everything was frozen. I logged out and tried to log back in to see if that would fix it but now it just stays at connecting to server. Is the sever down or am I banned for something?

Nemo
In-game: Nemo

by Nemo » Post

Zeno Effect wrote:Hi, I can not connect to the sever. I passed out and left the game on by mistake and when I woke up everything was frozen. I logged out and tried to log back in to see if that would fix it but now it just stays at connecting to server. Is the sever down or am I banned for something?
It's not just you. I can't join either. The server is down.

Zeno Effect

by Zeno Effect » Post

Nemo wrote:
Zeno Effect wrote:Hi, I can not connect to the sever. I passed out and left the game on by mistake and when I woke up everything was frozen. I logged out and tried to log back in to see if that would fix it but now it just stays at connecting to server. Is the sever down or am I banned for something?
Thanks for letting me know. For a while I thought I was banned for something.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Nemo wrote:
Sorry about that, the server process died for some reason. It should be working now.

Also, I added a /spawn command.

Zeno Effect

by Zeno Effect » Post

GunshipPenguin wrote: Sorry about that, the server process died for some reason. It should be working now.

Also, I added a /spawn command.
All cool. Thank you for all your work with making a fun and awesome place to play minetest! :D

MrNomNom111
GitHub: Modjular

by MrNomNom111 » Post

Sorry, I'm really new to all of this, but to connect, do I have to have all the mods you listed, installed? Or does modding work akin to plugins on MC servers? As in, the only thing actually being manipulated is the server side?

Excited to join soon.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Mods are run on the server only, you will experiance the result of the changed behavior by simply joining :)

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

MrNomNom111 wrote:Sorry, I'm really new to all of this, but to connect, do I have to have all the mods you listed, installed? Or does modding work akin to plugins on MC servers? As in, the only thing actually being manipulated is the server side?

Excited to join soon.
ExterDad beat me to it. If a mod is run on a server, no work on your part is needed in order to use that mod.

Looking forward to seeing you on the server.

jadedtest
GitHub: jadedctrl
IRC: jadedctrl
In-game: jadedctrl

by jadedtest » Post

Is the server down, or some such thing to that effect?
My client is in an endless "Connecting to server..." loop, regardless of how long I leave it open.
EDIT: Nevermind, it works now. I'm not sure if the server was down for a while, or if it was something on my end. Probably my end. This is a fantastic server! Nice mod combination, too.
cdb_85f468c50cda

GunshipPenguin

Re: [0.4.11] GunshipPenguin's PvE server

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Server is now running Minetest 0.4.11. I've also switched the mobs mod, removed the armour mod (It seemed to be causing the server to crash) and switched to a clean new map. You can also now protect up to two areas of a maximum size of 32x32x64 with the areas mod.
From now on, I think I'll reset the map every new release of Minetest, or at some other regular interval (every few months or so) to keep things fresh.

Neizi

by Neizi » Post

hey! i was playing on your server for about an hour, but then i disconnected and now i seem to be on a "connecting to server" loop. has something exploded?
edit: an hour later and its still down :(

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Neizi wrote:hey! i was playing on your server for about an hour, but then i disconnected and now i seem to be on a "connecting to server" loop. has something exploded?
From time to time the server process dies. Can't quite figure out why, I try to restart it asap if I notice. It should be up and running now.

Neizi

by Neizi » Post

GunshipPenguin wrote:
Neizi wrote:hey! i was playing on your server for about an hour, but then i disconnected and now i seem to be on a "connecting to server" loop. has something exploded?
From time to time the server process dies. Can't quite figure out why, I try to restart it asap if I notice. It should be up and running now.
i dont think ill be playing this server untill the areas mod is fixed. sorry but when 2 jackasses with nonsense names can break onto your land and start stealing blocks from your house and you have no way of stopping them, theres no reason to be playing anymore. i suggest you contact the modmaker or see if it wasn't installed correctly.

Miner59

by Miner59 » Post

GunshipPenguin wrote: From time to time the server process dies. Can't quite figure out why, I try to restart it asap if I notice. It should be up and running now.
Hi,
I use a script which restarts minetest server if doesn't find it in process list anymore. So you don't have long downtime if your server crashes. You can use it if you like.

Code: Select all

#bash
cd <your minetest-directory>
for ((loop=8;loop>1;loop=loop+1))
do
var=$(ps -A -F -l|grep 'minetest --serve'|head -1|grep 'minetest --server') 
##i use grep 2 times because the first grep always find itself in ps, too
##you need to change it if you don't use "minetest -server" to start your server
if [ -z "$var" ]; then
./bin/minetest --server <your options>
fi
sleep 5
done

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Neizi wrote:
GunshipPenguin wrote:
i dont think ill be playing this server untill the areas mod is fixed. sorry but when 2 jackasses with nonsense names can break onto your land and start stealing blocks from your house and you have no way of stopping them, theres no reason to be playing anymore. i suggest you contact the modmaker or see if it wasn't installed correctly.
How exactly are you protecting your area? If you don't want players coming into your building or stealing from your chests, use steel doors and locked chests.

Edit: Just tested out the areas mod and it worked fine. Tell me how you're protecting your areas and we can find out what went wrong.
Last edited by GunshipPenguin on Fri Jan 09, 2015 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Miner59 wrote:
GunshipPenguin wrote: From time to time the server process dies. Can't quite figure out why, I try to restart it asap if I notice. It should be up and running now.
Hi,
I use a script which restarts minetest server if doesn't find it in process list anymore. So you don't have long downtime if your server crashes. You can use it if you like.

Code: Select all

#bash
cd <your minetest-directory>
for ((loop=8;loop>1;loop=loop+1))
do
var=$(ps -A -F -l|grep 'minetest --serve'|head -1|grep 'minetest --server') 
##i use grep 2 times because the first grep always find itself in ps, too
##you need to change it if you don't use "minetest -server" to start your server
if [ -z "$var" ]; then
./bin/minetest --server <your options>
fi
sleep 5
done

Thanks, should have thought of doing something like that. I'm using your script now.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

A few days ago, someone got access to my account. He acted Rude and griefed spawn. He also appears to have logged into other frequent players accounts from time to time.
Whoever this was, I've banned his IP, rebuilt spawn and changed my password. If you have been locked out of your account, or have had your buildings griefed, PM me or talk to me on the server and I'll do my best to help you.