Multiple World server question

MykieDoesStuff

Multiple World server question

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

Hello, I know that you guys may have discussed about this in past years on the forum. I'm just asking that, how would you exactly set up a multiple world for a server? By reading on forum it seams to be that on each world there is a different port that is being used.

I'm thinking about making a large space related server, it will take time in works however I just need to know how exactly I can get the multiple worlds to work. Can the player have their items transferred in each world (inventory and everything)? And could I make some special boundary that players go to and teleport to some other "world" and the last thing is that if the player is in a spaceship for instance, and goes into a boundary that would get them to space.... will that player still be in that spaceship?

I know it seams that there is so much questions I'm asking, but I still cannot seem to find the answer on the forum.

Before you tell me that 64k blocks is good enough, I am making a space related game!
For fast response... send me a PM

CraigyDavi
GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio
In-game: CraigyDavi

Re: Multiple World server question

by CraigyDavi » Post

iDevMe wrote:By reading on forum it seams to be that on each world there is a different port that is being used.
Yeah, a different port needs to be used for each server. 30000, 30001, 30002 ect. is usually used.
iDevMe wrote:Can the player have their items transferred in each world (inventory and everything)?
You could make a script which synced the players directory and the auth.txt which means that the players would be in the same location, have the same things in inventories, same privs and same password. I'm not sure if it would work though...
iDevMe wrote:And could I make some special boundary that players go to and teleport to some other "world" and the last thing is that if the player is in a spaceship for instance, and goes into a boundary that would get them to space.... will that player still be in that spaceship?
Yes that's possible to teleport to other areas of the world but not to other servers.
This mod may be of interest: https://github.com/SmallJoker/worldedge

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

iDevMe wrote:Can the player have their items transferred in each world (inventory and everything)?
We already had this theme earlier. Some example questions:
What if you're playing on both worlds at the same time?
What if there are more nodes on one server? (-> many unknown nodes)
What if one world is creative / has more ores?
----
No, that's not a good idea.
CraigyDavi wrote:This mod may be of interest: https://github.com/SmallJoker/worldedge
Please use the original mod: https://github.com/DonBatman/worldedge
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

iDevMe wrote:....
Before you tell me that 64k blocks is good enough, I am making a space related game!
oh that is easy to answer then:
at the moment
impossible
:-)

if you can settle with less astronomicall dimensions there just might be ways to achieve an illusion of what you have in mind.

The only portal that works between different worlds that are stored in files of their own like on different servers or on the same server but with different sets of mods is sadly the "main menu".
There was some idea of disguising the main menu to look like an ingame portal but I can't remember wether that mod-idea ever got into some functioning state nor who was claiming to work on it.

The only other idea was to stack worlds in the same virtual cube that is stored in the database and to restrict and manage travel between these levels in some intelligent way that might give an illusion of different worlds. No one seems to have succesfully constructed such a world yet except maybe in some nether mod that might get close to that illusion.