Port Forwarding

ZionMoulder

In-game: ZionMoulde+ZMoulder+ZMoulder98

Port Forwarding

by ZionMoulder » Fri Feb 20, 2015 04:28

Obviously I'm new to this, so for those more experienced Minetest-players: You might want to break out the aspirin.

My sister recently downloaded minetest onto her computer, and I decided it would be cool if I could configure a server for me and her to play together on. The actual starting a server on my computer wasn't hard. (running a command prompt with the --server command) I'm having a problem with port forwarding. I'll be honest: I'm not the most computer savy guy on the block. (Although I know my way around a computer) So, when I read: "forward your chosen port for both TCP and UDP (30000 if you left it default) to the internal IP" it's not foolish to say that I'm very confused.

Could someone people help me? My router is a motorola AT&T UVerse. Thanks!

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Port Forwarding

by rubenwardy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 08:51

Are you both using the same router? You don't need to forward if so. You just need to find your LAN address. I'm not sure how to do that on windows (if that's what you're using)

Zoig

In-game: Zoig

by Zoig » Fri Feb 20, 2015 09:02

It might be, that the router does not forward the requests automatically as a security feature and one still needs port forwarding to be set up.

You have to read the instructions for your router and search there for port forwarding, or setting up NAT rules. Setting up port forwarding is usually quite easy, but is done slightly different on different hardware. You will have to access the configuration of the router by typing it's IP in the browser, as if accessing a webpage.

Example:
you run the minetest server on the PC with IP 192.168.2.100. So you set up a NAT-rule for your router that is called "minetest-serv". You specify the IP as 192.168.2.100 and the port as 30000 and the protocol as both TCP and UDP (it might be that you have to specify two NAT-rules, one for the TCP protocol and one for the UDP protocol.

If either one of the PCs (the server or your sisters machine) has a firewall, you will have to open port 30000 for both TCP and UDP on each machine that has an active firewall. This step is not needed if both use Ubuntu.

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Fri Feb 20, 2015 15:37

The simplest way in Windoze I find to be:
1. Bring up dos prompt, search "cmd" and at blinking cursor type ipconfig
2. Find the IPv4 address and write it down. (This is typed into your other computer.)
3. Start the server on the machine you just looked up the ip for.
4. Join the server you just created by entering the ip of the server, make sure ports match.
5. Enjoy!

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Fri Feb 20, 2015 17:05

You only need to forward UDP, TCP forwarding is not required currently.

Krock
Developer

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Feb 21, 2015 17:15

You don't need to port forward if all players are in the same network.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Return to Servers