[OFFLINE][hungry_games_plus] GunshipPenguin's Hunger Games

GunshipPenguin
GitHub: GunshipPenguin
IRC: GunshipPenguin
In-game: GunshipPenguin

[OFFLINE][hungry_games_plus] GunshipPenguin's Hunger Games

by GunshipPenguin » Post

I recently stumbled upon this subgame, viewtopic.php?pid=66383. After noticing that there were no servers running it, and thinking that it looked like quite a bit of fun, I decided to create my own.

This server is running my hungry_games_plus fork of Splizard's hungry_games. Its topic can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13114.

This server is hosted in Vancouver, BC, will be up 24/7, and has 30 slots.

When you join, you will spawn in a glass box, this is the lobby. To vote for the next game to start, you will have to use the command /vote. If there is already a game in progress, you will have to wait for it to finish.

There is a 90 second grace period where PvP is disabled, during this time you will want to collect as much stuff from the chests scattered around the arena as you can. When the grace period is up, the last man standing wins the match.

gunshippenguin.com:30001

Images!
Shot of part of the arena from above
Shot of the starting area (Pedestals are where players are spawned in)
Map of the entire arena
Last edited by GunshipPenguin on Thu Dec 31, 2015 23:42, edited 9 times in total.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [0.4.12][hungry_games] GunshipPenguin's Hunger Games Ser

by Wuzzy » Post

I just joined this server and this is how it looks like to me:

The HUD is broken and the screen is just black. Did I spawn in the ground or something? :-/

PS: I spawned in (0, 0, 0).

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I just joined this server and this is how it looks like to me:

The HUD is broken and the screen is just black. Did I spawn in the ground or something? :-/

Give it a try now. I set the static spawnpoint to the lobby area.

horse_lover
IRC: LizzardBeth
In-game: horse_lover LizzardBeth

by horse_lover » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I just joined this server and this is how it looks like to me:

I have the same problem. It says that I spawned in 0,0,0 but I can move a little bit as if there's something around me. Just wanted to let you know
Blue Roses are my thing
Love horses ;D
Fishies too <3 Fish Lore - Aquarium Fish Information

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Lol, I have basically become immortal. I have obtained a full suit of diamond armor. A steel sword does no damage at all to me.
And I keep all armor over the rounds.
I guess this makes the game far too easy.

I also noticed you can keep items in your crafting grid as well.

I also managed to escape the glass barrier by simply digging the dirt below it and walk through. But I somehow got trapped when I got to the other side; I was unabled to dig further and glass appeared behind me.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Lol, I have basically become immortal. I have obtained a full suit of diamond armor. A steel sword does no damage at all to me.

I also managed to escape the glass barrier by simply digging the dirt below it and walk through. But I somehow got trapped when I got to the other side; I was unabled to dig further and glass appeared behind me.

hehe, a "lagtrap"

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Lol, I have basically become immortal. I have obtained a full suit of diamond armor. A steel sword does no damage at all to me.

Your crafting inventory and armour inventories are now dropped upon death. As for escaping from the arena, I'll have to take a look at that, not sure exactly how the original author of this subgame wrote it.

horse_lover

by horse_lover » Post

Is this server on the server list website? I can't seem to find it... Even though it's right here, I've been suggesting this server to others but they can't find it on the server list
Blue Roses are my thing
Love horses ;D

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

horse_lover wrote:Is this server on the server list website? I can't seem to find it... Even though it's right here, I've been suggesting this server to others but they can't find it on the server list
I had minetest comiled without curl support, so it wasn't announcing to the server list. Just fixed that.

programmingchicken
GitHub: pchicken
IRC: chicken pchicken

by programmingchicken » Post

The winner of a round seems to drop his/her items sometimes, but I think the winner should die, drop all items, and get on a podium somewhere in the lobby. (all items in chests and on ground should be destroyed, and the map should be rebuilt based off an original copy somewhere close to the arena) Also, if you join the server during a match, you don't get fly and fast. :P Bugs everywhere: You can just relog if you are getting attacked and save your items, also you should take away the /vote option, it just bores everyone. Hungry games chests can be removed. All in all, it just needs some work. My final recommendation is that everyone loses their items on login. (and random maps!) TIP FOR NEWBS: get some armor from the chests, then mine trees, make the tree into wooden planks, then make a sky base. (lol, sorry guys who were annoyed with me for doing this) #gamerdude+bethlizzard+seed=WINNAZ
<gamerdude> I apologize for the above content

horse_lover

by horse_lover » Post

programmingchicken wrote:The winner of a round seems to drop his/her items sometimes, but I think the winner should die, drop all items, and get on a podium somewhere in the lobby. (all items in chests and on ground should be destroyed, and the map should be rebuilt based off an original copy somewhere close to the arena) Also, if you join the server during a match, you don't get fly and fast. :P Bugs everywhere: You can just relog if you are getting attacked and save your items, also you should take away the /vote option, it just bores everyone. Hungry games chests can be removed. All in all, it just needs some work. My final recommendation is that everyone loses their items on login. (and random maps!)
Yes I agree with all this. Some people just log out when they're about to die and it just bugs me soo much.
programmingchicken wrote:#gamerdude+bethlizzard+seed=WINNAZ
Yaaaas! lol
Blue Roses are my thing
Love horses ;D

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Programmingchicken sums it up pretty well. This game/server is buggy as hell.
  • When you log out, you keep all your items, you should drop everything, as programmingchicken said. That way, you can't just chicken out when you are about to lose; logging out is equivalent to losing
  • I still sometimes spawn in (0,0,0)
  • The game seems to be stuck if one of the last 2 contestants just leaves the game by i.e. timing out
  • Sometimes even if all but one players have been killed, the game gets stuck and won't continue to the next round. :-(
I also agree with that /vote thing but I think this complaint should go into the subgame thread: viewtopic.php?pid=66383

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Programmingchicken sums it up pretty well. This game/server is buggy as hell.
  • When you log out, you keep all your items, you should drop everything, as programmingchicken said. That way, you can't just chicken out when you are about to lose; logging out is equivalent to losing
  • I still sometimes spawn in (0,0,0)
  • The game seems to be stuck if one of the last 2 contestants just leaves the game by i.e. timing out
  • Sometimes even if all but one players have been killed, the game gets stuck and won't continue to the next round. :-(
I also agree with that /vote thing but I think this complaint should go into the subgame thread: viewtopic.php?pid=66383
programmingchicken wrote:The winner of a round seems to drop his/her items sometimes, but I think the winner should die, drop all items, and get on a podium somewhere in the lobby. (all items in chests and on ground should be destroyed, and the map should be rebuilt based off an original copy somewhere close to the arena) Also, if you join the server during a match, you don't get fly and fast. :P Bugs everywhere: You can just relog if you are getting attacked and save your items, also you should take away the /vote option, it just bores everyone. Hungry games chests can be removed. All in all, it just needs some work. My final recommendation is that everyone loses their items on login. (and random maps!) TIP FOR NEWBS: get some armor from the chests, then mine trees, make the tree into wooden planks, then make a sky base. (lol, sorry guys who were annoyed with me for doing this) #gamerdude+bethlizzard+seed=WINNAZ
I had no idea I would run into this many bugs :P. Anyways, I've been checking out the code for this subgame on Github, and I've noticed why a few of these things are happening. I'll do my best to fix them, but it may take awhile.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Ok, I've fixed one problem.

From what I've got going through the lua code, hungry_games keeps track of which players are currently playing a match and which ones aren't by their privs. If they have interact, they're playing, if they don't, they're not. This is ok, but was quite complicated, and seemed to be causing the problem where when only 1 player is left, the game dosen't continue onto the next round.
I fixed this by keeping track of which players are in a match in a table. When the game starts, the names of all players who are playing are put in a table. When a player dies, or leaves, his name is removed. When the length of the table is 1, we know that we have a winner.
I've played a few games with my changes, and it appears to be working fine, matches end when only 1 player is left.

Next thing to fix is the whole keeping your items upon logout situation.

Edit: For anybody interested in the code: https://github.com/GunshipPenguin/hungry_games

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

You'll probably have found a method of resetting a player's inventory by the time you see this, but here is some code that clears a player's inventory on join (Or on leave, if joinplayer is replaced with leaveplayer, this doesn't work in singleplayer though. Just a note for if you're testing it, rather than code wise, since this isn't really meant to be played in singleplayer!)

Code: Select all

minetest.register_on_joinplayer(function(player)
	local player_inv = player:get_inventory()
	player_inv:set_list("main", {})
	player_inv:set_list("craft", {})
end)
Hope this helps!

If you want the items to be dropped, this code works (Multiple snippets of code is what comes from reading the thread backwards... *sigh*):

Code: Select all

minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)
	local player_inv = player:get_inventory()
	local pos = player:getpos()
	for i=1,player_inv:get_size("main") do
		minetest.add_item(pos, player_inv:get_stack("main", i))
	end

player_inv:set_list("main", {})
	player_inv:set_list("craft", {})
end)

programmingchicken

I've made a potential lobby for it, but I *might* make an arena not meant for editing. Anyways, the lobby requires no mods (but I recommend some sort of mod that shows sign text on the sign) and has a parkour course and billboard, along with a small tower. All handmade by meh. Hope you use this! (lol, only if you make a whole new world starting with this you can use it) I made this because the lobby in the regular game isn't really meant for viewing, it's more for waiting until the next game. (maybe a big glass ceiling for viewing?)
Attachments
lobby.zip
Lobby!
(275.92 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

I've just fixed the items problem. Players now drop all items (Including everything in the crafting grid, and all armor) upon death, or logging out. The winner of each round also loses all his items before being teleported back to the lobby.

All of my changes have been committed to the Github repo, so anybody interested can check it out.
programmingchicken wrote:I've made a potential lobby for it, but I *might* make an arena not meant for editing. Anyways, the lobby requires no mods (but I recommend some sort of mod that shows sign text on the sign) and has a parkour course and billboard, along with a small tower. All handmade by meh. Hope you use this! (lol, only if you make a whole new world starting with this you can use it) I made this because the lobby in the regular game isn't really meant for viewing, it's more for waiting until the next game. (maybe a big glass ceiling for viewing?)
Thanks programmingchicken! I'll defiantly take a look at that lobby.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Maybe you should open a new thread for your forked subgame, also give the subgame a new name, just to be sure.

Just one minor thing: The error message which appears when you say “/vote” but you have already voted is very confusing, it sounds like you are not allowed to vote (no vote priv) when in fact you already have voted.

Edit: I noticed that some unknown items spawned recently in the chests.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

i also found an unknown item in a chest.

there are a lot of sticks and torches in the chest, but there is no use for them.
i cannot mine any materials to make swords with the sticks.

i found arrows, but no bow, then i got killed because i had no armor either.

the HUD is crowded with cherries and water glasses that block the sight on your health.

you should redefine the items that appear in the chests, so that only useful items appear there.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I have worked on the HUD recently and I have included the HUD bars mod and changed the mods so they use HUD bars instead. I will (hopefully) file a PR soon.

The sticks are not useless, together with iron bars, wood or stones you can craft swords. It seems you can not dig in the server, but wood and stones spawn in chests, I guess their only purpose is for crafting.

Edit: PR is here: https://github.com/GunshipPenguin/hungry_games/pull/1

Edit 2: GunshipPenguin, you should look on the server map. It is currently completely messed up thanks to too many lava and water buckets. Even the lobby and starting area are affected.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I have worked on the HUD recently and I have included the HUD bars mod and changed the mods so they use HUD bars instead. I will (hopefully) file a PR soon.

The sticks are not useless, together with iron bars, wood or stones you can craft swords. It seems you can not dig in the server, but wood and stones spawn in chests, I guess their only purpose is for crafting.

Edit: PR is here: https://github.com/GunshipPenguin/hungry_games/pull/1

Edit 2: GunshipPenguin, you should look on the server map. It is currently completely messed up thanks to too many lava and water buckets. Even the lobby and starting area are affected.
I merged your hudbars PR. The map has been cleaned up, and lava and water buckets no longer spawn in chests.

programmingchicken

erm people are apparently not going to let the next games start because of a fight... and they aren't stopping, they don't seem to be stopping anytime soon either. :P seed seeders CuteGirl221 and littlebublebee. HALP!
EDIT:
I've neutralized the situation. ~PSHH~ Team out.

programmingchicken

About the lobby, if you ever update the server i'm currently making a hunger games map, but i need to know if i place the chests myself and if there is no breaking blocks if making custom wall borders is possible :P Yep, just explained that horribly.
The map is based on a 99.99% wool garden with flower pots and really long grass. Grass parkour! YEAH!
Last edited by programmingchicken on Thu May 21, 2015 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Recently, the server seems to frequently randomly shut down shortly before a new game start (countdown starts at 10, then server shuts down; sometimes it also stops at 1), but is quick up again.

OldCoder

by OldCoder » Post

I've set up another Hungry Games world; the topic is at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12222

I have two related questions:

1. The copy of 3d_armor used by the Hungry Games modpack seems to conflict with the standard wieldview mod. But I'm told that the Gunship Penguin server includes a working copy of wieldview that's not in the core modpack. There are other conflicts of this type.

Would a ZIP file containing the full set of mods used by the Gunship Penguin server be available to another server host?

2. I'd like to get the minetest.conf settings required by the world correct. Would a copy of the minetest.conf file used by the Gunship Penguin server be available as well?

I'll be happy to offer a bug fix for the base mod that I made tonight in exchange for the time needed to prepare these items. The bug fix should reduce crashes and incorrect spawning.