[Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps!

Chem871

GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Chem871 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 16:17

What about building straight up once you have the flag? It's worse than tunneling to me, because tunneling at least doesn't take a long time.

Lone_Wolf

GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf or Somebody

Re: Short Proposition on how to eliminate flag-tunneling.

by Lone_Wolf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 18:05

Stix wrote:Short Proposition on how to eliminate flag-tunneling.

Anyone who's played on CTF for a reasonable amount of time knows that tunneling to grab the flag is a big issue and looked down upon, so i propose a way to eliminate it.

My idea is simple: to eliminate flag-tunneling we must remove players ability to tunnel. How do we do that? All it would take would be to make stone generated in the map indestructible in a 20-block radius around the flag for non-members. That way players tunnel would have to stop at a distance from the flag, and they then have to actually risk themselves to achieve their goal.

@All id love to hear what you think of this, don't forget to write a reply!

There are a lot of risks to tunneling. If someone follows and kills you (Which isn't hard to do) The enemy then have a tunnel to get to your base. In the Caverns map I made a tunnel to the enemy base. And Waterbug found it. He was able to win the match because we were unable to fend him off. So my tunnel was used against us.
And I don't look down upon tunneling. It adds to the game. Instead of just watching out for players aboveground you have to watch out for players belowground too. You also have to figure out ways to deal with the problem. Build a moat? Make the lower parts of the base out of a mix of wood, gravel, and cobble? Flood lava under the base? (Latter is probably not possible...). There are many risks and advantages to tunneling. It's good for the players that aren't as good as PvP too. They have a slightly smaller chance of being taken out by a pro
I've noticed the number of mods I can contribute to has decreased. I'm sticking with Github. Even though I don't like MS

DragonsVolcanoDance

IRC: DragonGirl
In-game: DragonsVolcanoDance

by DragonsVolcanoDance » Wed Jul 04, 2018 18:07

These are all aspects of the game you're talking about - it's just part of the game-play. There's nothing wrong with it. Yes, annoying things will happen such as tunneling, people building straight up, people spamming apples faster then you can damage them, getting killed, getting grenades thrown at you, etc.

You start taking stuff like this away, you start taking the game away.

Stix

IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

by Stix » Wed Jul 04, 2018 18:48

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Anyone who's played on CTF for a reasonable amount of time knows that tunneling to grab the flag is a big issue and looked down upon, so i propose a way to eliminate it.

My idea is simple: to eliminate flag-tunneling we must remove players ability to tunnel. How do we do that? All it would take would be to make stone generated in the map indestructible in a 20-block radius around the flag for non-members. That way players tunnel would have to stop at a distance from the flag, and they then have to actually risk themselves to achieve their goal.

There are a lot of risks to tunneling. If someone follows and kills you (Which isn't hard to do) The enemy then have a tunnel to get to your base.

Not true. There is no way to detect an incoming tunneler, nor the direction. Meaning that once they have your flag you'll have to go through hell to get it back, as they'll block off the tunnel behind them and the end of their tunnel ends smack-dab in enemy territory. So no matter how many players you kill in an effort to get the guy with your flag, newly re-spawned players will come to take their place, meaning even a large force can get overrun.
Lone_Wolf wrote:In the Caverns map I made a tunnel to the enemy base. And Waterbug found it. He was able to win the match because we were unable to fend him off. So my tunnel was used against us.

The only way to find a incoming tunnel is pure luck or its owner was being sloppy.
Lone_Wolf wrote:And I don't look down upon tunneling. It adds to the game. Instead of just watching out for players aboveground you have to watch out for players belowground too. You also have to figure out ways to deal with the problem. Build a moat? Make the lower parts of the base out of a mix of wood, gravel, and cobble? Flood lava under the base? (Latter is probably not possible...). There are many risks and advantages to tunneling. It's good for the players that aren't as good as PvP too. They have a slightly smaller chance of being taken out by a pro

Even the best fortifications are useless against tunneling, let me give you an example: Our base was surrounder by a perimeter wall made of wood. this wall was 10 blocks high and 4 blocks thick, and supported at the back by cobble. Underneath our flag room the area was hollowed out to stop ppl tunneling beneath us, all the jungle-trees in the surrounding area was cleared out, and we had a couple players guarding the base/battlements. Despite all this a player was able to tunnel underneath it all and grab our flag. You want to know why? Because we couldn't be everywhere at once and we had no way to tell what direction they were coming from, or even that they were tunneling to us!
The harder you think the more you'll achieve --Caleb #Hi-five for no good reason --Caleb
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php

Stix

by Stix » Wed Jul 04, 2018 19:08

DragonsVolcanoDance wrote:These are all aspects of the game you're talking about - it's just part of the game-play. There's nothing wrong with it. Yes, annoying things will happen such as tunneling, people building straight up, people spamming apples faster then you can damage them, getting killed, getting grenades thrown at you, etc.

You start taking stuff like this away, you start taking the game away.

Personally i have nothing against flag tunneling itself, but rather the fact that it's so OP. If it was somehow de-buffed I (and probably others) would have no problem with it.
The harder you think the more you'll achieve --Caleb #Hi-five for no good reason --Caleb
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 19:20

There is a way to detect tunneling. Climb up in a tower and turn viewing range to 20. If you do it right you will be able to see almost all of the players in the world. Regardless of where they are
And you can also do f7 in a 2x1 tunnel and jump repeatedly to see in noclip view. And to your example: Sounds like he could have walked in from behind and took it too.
It's not hard to look under and around a base either. I can do it without a problem :P
I've noticed the number of mods I can contribute to has decreased. I'm sticking with Github. Even though I don't like MS

Stix

by Stix » Wed Jul 04, 2018 19:27

Lone_Wolf wrote:There is a way to detect tunneling. Climb up in a tower and turn viewing range to 20. If you do it right you will be able to see almost all of the players in the world. Regardless of where they are
And you can also do f7 in a 2x1 tunnel and jump repeatedly to see in noclip view. And to your example: Sounds like he could have walked in from behind and took it too.
It's not hard to look under and around a base either. I can do it without a problem :P

Srry, but i have to actually defend the base sometimes, i can't just use the well-known 3rd-person glitch all day (yes ive tried detecting tunnelers using that trick before).

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 20:09

Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:There is a way to detect tunneling. Climb up in a tower and turn viewing range to 20. If you do it right you will be able to see almost all of the players in the world. Regardless of where they are

Srry, but i have to actually defend the base sometimes, i can't just use the well-known 3rd-person glitch all day (yes ive tried detecting tunnelers using that trick before).

Try the other one. I use it when defending the base. Works great for me. I can get down quickly too

Stix

by Stix » Wed Jul 04, 2018 21:12

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Stix wrote:

Try the other one. I use it when defending the base. Works great for me. I can get down quickly too

Wow that sounds rlly cheaty, that glitch rlly needs to be fixed. At least the 3rd-person glitch only enabled you to see tunnels (also its a pain to use).

Waterbug

IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman

by Waterbug » Wed Jul 04, 2018 23:46

You can design maps wherein it is very hard or impossible to use the tunnel tactic if you find this tactic particularly annoying (and it is kind of annoying).

rubenwardy wrote:No. Tunnelling is a valid tactic

rubenwardy is right; it is technically a valid tactic.

By the way, I've foiled players many times when they tried to use the tunnel tactic against my team.

PETE

GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Sun Jul 08, 2018 03:57

i beat geesh i got a screenshot and rec screenie is on the discord he had mese and apples i had steel and 0 apples this was on the coast map
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

Xudo

GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 19:11

If you dig moat around the base, it will help a lot against (underneath) tonneling tactic. It is not very usable in Cave map since ppl can tonnel above base.

PETE

GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Mon Jul 09, 2018 08:59

Xudo wrote:If you dig moat around the base, it will help a lot against (underneath) tonneling tactic. It is not very usable in Cave map since ppl can tonnel above base.

I only tunnel if the game has gone on forever I don't use it as a signature strat more like a go-to when there's nothing else to do especially when head-on attacks don't work
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

Previous

Return to Servers