[Server] Capture the Flag Server

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Post

Chem871 wrote:Just promote someone to moderator who's trustworthy, and almost always on, or at least often.
Good idea, and i believe Aurika would be the best candidate for this.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Stix

Proposition for randomized team-spawning and balancing

by Stix » Post

Proposition for randomized team-spawning and balancing

As a popular topic on improving CTF is random spawns, i thought i would add to that idea:

Players respawning in random locations within a certain radius of the flag is the general idea, but its got some issues that could be fixed:

1. Players have to travel to the flag to access the team chest, this is bad as the whole point of random respawns was so spawnkillers couldn't target one area. Therefore players should be able to access the team chest in their inventory, but only in the same radius from the flag that they respawn within.

2. Players should respawn in groups of 2-4 players to make it harder to single out newly respawned players. How this would work is that when a player dies they will be sent a respawn formspec. In this formspec there will be 4 slots where a players name will go when they die. As soon as there are 2 dead players a 5-sec count-down begins, and when the countdown ends that group of players respawn at the same position and at the same time, but if the 4 slots are all filled the group respawns immediately even if the count-down timer hadn't ended yet.

3. Players should start with a stone pick/sword instead of wood ones, as wood swords are practically garbage and a pro with a steel sword can easily beat 6-8 pros at once who only have wood swords. Another reason is that with random-positioned respawns it will be harder for players to defend base, so this would also balance out that.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: Proposition for randomized team-spawning and balancing

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stix wrote:Proposition for randomized team-spawning and balancing

As a popular topic on improving CTF is random spawns, i thought i would add to that idea:

Players respawning in random locations within a certain radius of the flag is the general idea, but its got some issues that could be fixed:

1. Players have to travel to the flag to access the team chest, this is bad as the whole point of random respawns was so spawnkillers couldn't target one area. Therefore players should be able to access the team chest in their inventory, but only in the same radius from the flag that they respawn within.

2. Players should respawn in groups of 2-4 players to make it harder to single out newly respawned players. How this would work is that when a player dies they will be sent a respawn formspec. In this formspec there will be 4 slots where a players name will go when they die. As soon as there are 2 dead players a 5-sec count-down begins, and when the countdown ends that group of players respawn at the same position and at the same time, but if the 4 slots are all filled the group respawns immediately even if the count-down timer hadn't ended yet.

3. Players should start with a stone pick/sword instead of wood ones, as wood swords are practically garbage and a pro with a steel sword can easily beat 6-8 pros at once who only have wood swords. Another reason is that with random-positioned respawns it will be harder for players to defend base, so this would also balance out that.
If you're in a noob match and die it might take a minute or more for someone else to die. I don't think I would like to sit there that long.

Suggestion #3 would be nice. It doesn't really balance out the random re-spawn area making it harder to defend base problem though. Although I'm not sure what re-spawn radius you are thinking of
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ
In-game: SouperRayene10 CESTRayCRYSTAL

Re: Proposition for randomized team-spawning and balancing

by CESTRayCRYSTALwZ » Post

Stix wrote:Proposition for randomized team-spawning and balancing

-_- What if Multiple spawnkillers Fight Spawn in same time ?
At least At 6x6 Blocks Of Ennemie Flag Every Spawnkiller who do more Than 4 kills in 6x6 Blocks From Flag Will be Teleported or warned or kicked do anything with 6x6 Radus From Flag To detect Every SpawnSkill :/

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Idk if there's any way to reliably have spawnkilling be mechanically monitered, best bet would be to have a moderator on the server often.
What is SCP-055?

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ

Chem871 wrote:Idk if there's any way to reliably have spawnkilling be mechanically monitered, best bet would be to have a moderator on the server often.
Yep but Mods Are not online 24/24 hour :/
So Risks still everywhere

DragonsVolcanoDance
IRC: DragonGirl
In-game: DragonsVolcanoDance

by DragonsVolcanoDance » Post

Chem871 wrote:Idk if there's any way to reliably have spawnkilling be mechanically monitered, best bet would be to have a moderator on the server often.
Chem's right. The best way for spawn-killing to be handled is just to report the player doing the spawn-killing. The only thing that we can rely on is good people who have good judgement to whether spawn-killing is happening or not.

But then again, what exactly is spawn-killing? I've known multiple players to get really angry and yell ''SPAWNKILLER!'' And ''Ban him now!!!'' when they were only killed by the same person two or three times in their base - that's not spawn-killing IMHO. That's something that will happen nearly everyday, and it's petty to ban/kick someone for that. I think people are forgetting what a real spawn-killer is, because a real spawn-killer is actually rather rare. In all my time playing CTF, I've only seen this happen a few times - When a player repeatedly kills defenseless players in their own base over and over and over again. [x10]

So when you get killed a few times near or in your base, you need to stop calling that person a spawn-killer and just grow a thicker skin and live with it. A real spawn-killer is someone who shows no mercy and will make sure to kill you at least 20 times. Not someone who goes into your base, kills you three times, and then usually dies shortly afterwards.

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ

DragonsVolcanoDance wrote:
Chem's right. The best way for spawn-killing to be handled is just to report the player doing the spawn-killing. The only thing that we can rely on is good people who have good judgement to whether spawn-killing is happening or not.

But then again, what exactly is spawn-killing? I've known multiple players to get really angry and yell ''SPAWNKILLER!'' And ''Ban him now!!!'' when they were only killed by the same person two or three times in their base - that's not spawn-killing IMHO. That's something that will happen nearly everyday, and it's petty to ban/kick someone for that. I think people are forgetting what a real spawn-killer is, because a real spawn-killer is actually rather rare. In all my time playing CTF, I've only seen this happen a few times - When a player repeatedly kills defenseless players in their own base over and over and over again. [x10]

So when you get killed a few times near or in your base, you need to stop calling that person a spawn-killer and just grow a thicker skin and live with it. A real spawn-killer is someone who shows no mercy and will make sure to kill you at least 20 times. Not someone who goes into your base, kills you three times, and then usually dies shortly afterwards.
Even Report dosen't work All the time
Because The message is send to Mods/IRC users
But They are not online 24/24 hour so
This happend to me in a time an Spawnkiller escape us Then he Stoll all ours Weapons Then he Start running In base and killing who move and when you try to Touch hil he Health himself by hiding before an teammate to Dont Get Damage.. Then he start killing with no end

/report isn't Good for Hard Times because There is no humain who still online 24/24 hour only if The mod want to harm his computer

Anyway The solution is

When an Player do Spawnkill in 6x6 blocks from Flag The server must detect More Than 6 kills in 6x6 blocks Then Kick/ban automaticly the person

Spawn can be Larger Than 4x4 blocks or 5x5

Its An solution for No Online Mod in server
Solution for spawnkillers who dont stop Making Players die in spawn And stol Weapons from you to Get Free kills To get into Rankings list so fast..

CLtheman1
GitHub: CLtheman1

Make Moderators Select Ban Reason

by CLtheman1 » Post

To keep moderators from possible abusing their powers, there should be a ban GUI. When the moderator submits |/ban username" it will pop up a GUI with a list of ban reasons to select from, according to the server rules. Minecraft servers use ban GUIs all the time, and I think it would be a good anti-abuse tool for this minetest server. Moderators won't be able to ban for something that's not in the rules anymore!

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

Re: Make Moderators Select Ban Reason

by cautiouspotato » Post

CLtheman1 wrote:To keep moderators from possible abusing their powers, there should be a ban GUI. When the moderator submits |/ban username" it will pop up a GUI with a list of ban reasons to select from, according to the server rules. Minecraft servers use ban GUIs all the time, and I think it would be a good anti-abuse tool for this minetest server. Moderators won't be able to ban for something that's not in the rules anymore!
As ANAND already said bans are logged meaning that if a moderator were to abuse their power the other mods and ruben would know, and the ones who have the privs to ban and kick are a trusted group of people selected by ruben, so this is not a problem.
no

Stix

by Stix » Post

Id like to report Diobeso for several offenses, such as:

1. Trying to make me help him spawnkill the enemy.
2. Leaving the game as i was about to collect his bounty in a fair fight and lieing about it.
3. Continuously insulting me after i told him he shouldn't have used such a tactic.

Stix

by Stix » Post

Why was i banned? When SG grabbed the flag the server cashed and then when i try to login it says im banned while being very vague about it...

Before this is taken as complaining i just want to state i posted this because i have no idea why i was banned.

bomberman

by bomberman » Post

Stix wrote:Why was i banned?
maybe spawnkilling?

Stix

by Stix » Post

bomberman wrote:
Stix wrote:Why was i banned?
maybe spawnkilling?
Killing you 3-4 times at your base when you had good gear is not spawnkilling, and most of the killing was to protect my teammates you were slaughtering.

PETE
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Post

tbh yesterday you were spawnkilling u di not even go after the flag once u camp behind base targeted me and other yeah right to no spawnkilling
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

Gekkeupie
IRC: Majochup
In-game: majochup-upie2

by Gekkeupie » Post

Our IP has been banned while we were playing. Reason is anti cheat v01 but as far as we know we were not doing anything wrong. User majochup and upie2. Would you please let us know what we were doing wrong and unban us?
Thank you.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Is it possible that you were eating apples quite fast ? In case ruben's CTF coulda thought you were enforced by a certain bot my brother wrote...
Last edited by LMD on Mon Aug 20, 2018 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Gekkeupie wrote:Our IP has been banned while we were playing. Reason is anti cheat v01 but as far as we know we were not doing anything wrong. User majochup and upie2. Would you please let us know what we were doing wrong and unban us?
Thank you.
Checked the logs to manually verify, and I can see this was an error. I've unbanned you
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Gekkeupie
IRC: Majochup
In-game: majochup-upie2

by Gekkeupie » Post

We found a border glitch, its not too big.
Here are some screenshots.
Attachments
screenshot_20180818_230051.png
screenshot_20180818_230051.png (342.03 KiB) Viewed 615 times
screenshot_20180820_163804.png
screenshot_20180820_163804.png (246.33 KiB) Viewed 615 times
screenshot_20180818_230036.png
screenshot_20180818_230036.png (388.81 KiB) Viewed 615 times

DragonsVolcanoDance

Been having a lot of fun playing this server lately, especially with the other good players.

Except sometimes, a problem arises.. like sword hogging!

Kills Gael-de-Sailly

Stix

by Stix » Post

PETE wrote:tbh yesterday you were spawnkilling u di not even go after the flag once u camp behind base targeted me and other yeah right to no spawnkilling
There were too many of you to take on all at once at your base, but since you had high walls i perched myself up there and swooped down on anyone attacking my teammates. Also should i mention the fact you had just as good gear?

@LMD It wasn't that, i didn't even use that many apples.

Stix

by Stix » Post

Older screenies:

Image Image Image Just a random base i made.

DragonsVolcanoDance

Re: The Mystery of how Crappy Bridges are made finally told

You've all had that time playing Capture the Flag when suddenly a bridge begins to form above you, haven't you? But despite how dangerous that bridge is, how crappy it looks, how ugly and unedifying it is, you're still compelled to climb up and use it.

Now these bridges are mysteries, because a lot of the time you really don't know who started it in the first place. Not only that, but people will even use this extremely dangerous bridge to their own advantage, even when they are taking the risk of getting shot at and falling off it because of the many obstacles. They also tend to run across it as fast as possible to avoid the flying bullets, but in the process become extreme klutzes and fall through previously dug holes into the river.

But how is this bridge made? Well the first step is, of course, someone starts building it.

If it's in the right place, the strong players start using it and fighting on it.

These same strong players become targets for shotguns and rifles, and the bridge is shot full of holes.

Sloppy repairs are made, sometimes with a bad building material like dirt or sand or even leaves. People tend to use whatever useless items they have in their inventories.

To prevent getting shot at, the same people quickly make emergency walls up around the bridge resulting in the stupidest looking tunnel ever.

More players pillar up to the bridge with cobble, dirt or wood making it look like it has legs and giving it the appearance of a strange deformed animal.

Noobs climb up and make messes.

------------

The end result:

You see, virtually everyone becomes a noob when they begin to climb the bridge. Fun times.

Ironically, that's the bridge map... XD

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

How many weeks ago did you take that screenie? I remember making that comment a while ago.
P.S. - Would someone remove geesh from the rankings list?
What is SCP-055?

DragonsVolcanoDance

I can't remember when I took it, but yes it was a while back. :) I have another one from a while back that is worth mentioning: