[Server] Capture the Flag Server

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Post

Thomas-S wrote:I think the K/D ratio doesn't decrease, in contrast, it might even increase because of two reasons:

1)
Thomas-S wrote:If everyone helps each other, the so called "kill-stealing" will be balanced in the long term.
ANAND wrote:you do get even with the 'kill-stealers' by 'stealing' their kills in turn.
Please note that we both have put quotes around the word "stealing" because there is no stealing, but helping.

2)
The number of one's deaths doesn't stay the same, as you claimed, but it will decrease, as one will be rescued more often by team mates.

As I already wrote, players usually don't steal the kills because they want to improve their score, but they simply want to help their team mates. Checking if this help is really necessary simply takes too long.

Helping the team is more important than momentarily improving one's own score.
um your wrong about team members saving you from death, the way ive experienced it players will steal my kill, then run when i actually need help (usually blocking off all escape routes behind them, R.I.P. me).
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Stix

by Stix » Post

also you can always stay near them while there fighting if your unsure if they need help so if they do die, youll catch whoever slayed 'em

Thomas-S
GitHub: Thomas--S
IRC: Thomas-S
In-game: Thomas-S

by Thomas-S » Post

Stix wrote:also you can always stay near them while there fighting if your unsure if they need help so if they do die, youll catch whoever slayed 'em
This will lead to a decreasing K/D ratio and is additionally much more inefficient.

Stix

by Stix » Post

Thomas-S wrote:
Stix wrote:also you can always stay near them while there fighting if your unsure if they need help so if they do die, youll catch whoever slayed 'em
This will lead to a decreasing K/D ratio and is additionally much more inefficient.
thats funny, because when noone helped me when i didnt need it i had a 9 k/d ratio, but as soon as people started to (the same day) my k/d decreased to 6.

Thomas-S
GitHub: Thomas--S
IRC: Thomas-S
In-game: Thomas-S

by Thomas-S » Post

The momentarily K/D not only depends on whether people help you, but there are many other factors (different maps, different enemies, different weapons etc.).

Stix

by Stix » Post

Thomas-S wrote:The momentarily K/D not only depends on whether people help you, but there are many other factors (different maps, different enemies, different weapons etc.).
it was the same people same map, same everything.

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

Stix wrote: i simply dont like people taking my kills
How can you just call it your kill?
Seriously... you want your team-mate to stand and stare at you while you fight?

Stix, please refrain from misleading other players. Do what you want, provided it doesn't affect the server's delicate balance, but don't expect the others to follow.
Last edited by ANAND on Fri May 18, 2018 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Post

Stix wrote:A message to all players:

Please only help when you are needed, that means if someone is fighting a player and is winning, dont finish that player off, your teammates will not thank you for taking there kills, as in essense you are stealing there score and inhibtting there k/d ratio. please only help if your teammate is losing or if its two noobs fighting, as a enemy pro will just usually come in and finish off the noob on your side, making you lose a sword sometimes (if the noob has one). no-one likes a kill stealer, so if you want your team to appreciate you, dont interfere in their kills.
Well, not everyone feel same about this. Personally i am thankful when someone tries to help me, who cares if it means they get the kill instead of me. K/D only matters when you are on the verge of falling out of necessary score to access pro side. Obsessing over K/D i think just ruins fun, really just relax and enjoy the game.

And i will continue to help teammates when i see they fighting with someone, cause you can never really know if they are about to die or not. So no, i am not gonna just stand there and watch my teammate potentially die, just because some people like to throw word "killstealer" around.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Those sound like some valid points.
What is SCP-055?

Me Me and Me
In-game: MeMeandMe2 Regulus

by Me Me and Me » Post

Hi, I watched your video about making maps for CTF, and I made some of my own.

One of them is a Snowy map.
CTF subgame does not work on my computer, so the map is un-tested.
On CTF I am WHYjustbecause.

conf:

Code: Select all

r = 115
name = Glacial Conflict
h = 140
rotation = z
author = WHYjustbecause
Attachments
Map.png
Map.png (492.26 KiB) Viewed 649 times
6_glacial.mts
(249.87 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
I Love Formspecs!

Stix

by Stix » Post

ANAND wrote:
Stix wrote: i simply dont like people taking my kills
How can you just call it your kill?
Sorry, i should have phrased that better, i meant points, when a player does most of the work in killing someone i believe they deserve most of the points, though anyone else who helped also deserves at least some of the points. :-)
ANAND wrote:
Seriously... you want your team-mate to stand and stare at you while you fight?
Not really, i was just pointing out that if you want to help someone who's in a fair fight you could do that, though i would personally recommend that you would go after someone else to kill. ;-)
ANAND wrote:Stix, please refrain from misleading other players. Do what you want, provided it doesn't affect the server's delicate balance, but don't expect the others to follow.
It was a request, thats all, and i didnt expect anyone else to comply with my request, its not like i was threatening armagedon on anyone who disagrees with me, i respect your right to your own oppinion.

I think we need both parties involved in a kill rewarded with points, not just one, maybe add kill-assists? :-)

*EDIT: how was i misleading anyone?
IceAgeComing wrote:
Stix wrote:A message to all players:

Please only help when you are needed, that means if someone is fighting a player and is winning, dont finish that player off, your teammates will not thank you for taking there kills, as in essense you are stealing there score and inhibtting there k/d ratio. please only help if your teammate is losing or if its two noobs fighting, as a enemy pro will just usually come in and finish off the noob on your side, making you lose a sword sometimes (if the noob has one). no-one likes a kill stealer, so if you want your team to appreciate you, dont interfere in their kills.
Well, not everyone feel same about this. Personally i am thankful when someone tries to help me, who cares if it means they get the kill instead of me.
IceAgeComing wrote: K/D only matters when you are on the verge of falling out of necessary score to access pro side. Obsessing over K/D i think just ruins fun, really just relax and enjoy the game.
Relaxing while playing a high-action FPS style PvP game, is that even possible o_O?
IceAgeComing wrote:And i will continue to help teammates when i see they fighting with someone, cause you can never really know if they are about to die or not. So no, i am not gonna just stand there and watch my teammate potentially die, just because some people like to throw word "killstealer" around.
Despite what you may think im not being obsessive over my k/d, its just that ive recently set a goal for myself to have a k/d of 7 or higher :-)

*EDIT: im fine that you disagree with my request, it was just a request, thats all, not a threat or anything indecent like that. :-)
Last edited by Stix on Fri May 18, 2018 23:26, edited 3 times in total.

PETE
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Post

The only way to get a GODLY KD ratio is to TRYHARD and GRIND all day and never give up.
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

PlasmaHam
In-game: PlasmaHam

by PlasmaHam » Post

Look, CTF is a team game, short and simple. You can do your lone wolf McQuade thing if you want, I don't care, but please don't start lecturing on how you shouldn't work with your team members because you are afraid someone might steal your kill. That's just petty, and isn't supportive of a good game environment.

On a completely separate note, the CTF community might want to look into a Discord server. The platform has become really popular among online communities, as it is both simple and powerful. IRC may be nice for Minetest game integration and CLI, but in terms of features and ease of use, it has problems. The Ethicrush server has a Discord server in addition to it's IRC, so it may be something that would work for CTF too. Just an idea.
Live long and Prosper

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

PlasmaHam wrote:Look, CTF is a team game, short and simple. You can do your lone wolf McQuade thing if you want, I don't care, but please don't start lecturing on how you shouldn't work with your team members because you are afraid someone might steal your kill. That's just petty, and isn't supportive of a good game environment.

On a completely separate note, the CTF community might want to look into a Discord server. The platform has become really popular among online communities, as it is both simple and powerful. IRC may be nice for Minetest game integration and CLI, but in terms of features and ease of use, it has problems. The Ethicrush server has a Discord server in addition to it's IRC, so it may be something that would work for CTF too. Just an idea.
Heh, 'lone wolf McQuade'

Ontopic: A Discord server would be nice. Players with better internet and computers could even join a voice chat while they play. Allowing them to talk to each other as they hunt the flag together (If they're on the same team). Lot faster than typing
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Not sure of it's implications, but I certainly do appreciate voice-chat for it's primary advantage of real-time communication. So no need to go hide somewhere before typing a long message alerting the team of an oncoming invasion.Strategies co-ordinated in real-time can afford to be much more elaborate and can still be executed with perfection. +1

Sadly, I have no way of using voice-chat as of now... -_-
My Mods

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

No mic, or you don't want the people around to hear you?

Its the latter for me.
no

cautiouspotato

by cautiouspotato » Post

Relaxing while playing a high-action FPS style PvP game, is that even possible o_O?
Compared to something like doom or quake CTF is quite mild and relaxing.
no

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

cautiouspotato wrote:
No mic, or you don't want the people around to hear you?

Its the latter for me.
Both :3

My other concern about voice-chat is moderation - how is it possible to moderate real-time communication? FYI, this server uses sofar's Filter mod to filter out inappropriate language in the chat (although it does not have the most comprehensive bad-word dictionary as of now). Also, players essentially communicate on two separate chat channels - the public chat and the team chat (/t). Would voice-chat using Discord be capable of handling 2+ channels at once? If most of the answers are 'No', then I don't think Discord's coming to CTF anytime soon, assuming rubenwardy (here's your cue ruben, post a befitting reply :P) feels the same way...

Meanwhile, I'll get in touch with servers like Ethicrush (mentioned by PlasmaHam) and other servers using voice-chat, and learn more about interfacing Discord with MT (if that's even required).
My Mods

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Stix wrote:thats funny, because when noone helped me when i didnt need it i had a 9 k/d ratio, but as soon as people started to (the same day) my k/d decreased to 6.
That's probably because you got too worked-up and were having a heated argument with your team's "kill-stealers", and got too distracted to fight properly...
My Mods

cautiouspotato

by cautiouspotato » Post

My other concern about voice-chat is moderation
True, moderating on voice chat will be impossible.
Also, players essentially communicate on two separate chat channels
I think discord is like slack for gamers, so I think it can have separate channels.
no

PETE
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Post

no more discord
Last edited by PETE on Sun May 20, 2018 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

Stix

by Stix » Post

ANAND wrote:
Stix wrote:thats funny, because when noone helped me when i didnt need it i had a 9 k/d ratio, but as soon as people started to (the same day) my k/d decreased to 6.
That's probably because you got too worked-up and were having a heated argument with your team's "kill-stealers", and got too distracted to fight properly...
Wrong! Besides telling someone when they had a enemy on their tail all i said was to SG: "please dont steal my kills!".

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Do you guys just pick fights to have a fight? If someone comes along and kills someone I'm about to tear in half, sure, I'll get a little irritated, but I do the same thing, so I can't judge. Also, sometimes that person who 'stole' my kill was protecting me from dying.
What is SCP-055?

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

Agrees. I would keep an enemy, not before the dead.
Spoiler
I hate my life

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader