[Server] Capture the Flag Server

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by ANAND » Post

cautiouspotato wrote:I'm thinking add a base dictionary of banned words, and then use machine learning and train it on that to learn to detect the typos.
I've no experience in machine learning but it should be possible to do something like that.
While this is definitely possible, implementing machine-learning just to detect swear-words is simply not worth the effort IMO... It's way easier to just report them, and the admins / mods would take care of the rest...

P.S. The mod already comes with simple pattern-matching capabilities (which would help in manually black-listing a few obvious typos)
Word lists

Filling the word list for the first time can be done by placing a words.txt file into the mod's folder. An example of such a words.txt can be found here: https://gist.github.com/rubenwardy/055a ... c54a7322e5
CAUTION: Visit the above link only if you are above 18 years of age
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

Enrikoo
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

by Enrikoo » Post

An example of the semi-epic round: I was 1 and PETE was 2. I have 30 kills and he 41. I died 2 times and PETE 8 times. It's because PETE does spawnkilling and I kill PETE almost 3 - 4 times.

Gaara
GitHub: Gaara95
IRC: Gaara
In-game: Gaara

by Gaara » Post

How does the weapon spawning thing work?
Yesterday one match had a perfect balance of weapons, but in the match after that almost everyone had like a stone sword or steel shovel, then the in match after that there was a whole ton of steel swords, and picks and other stuff. Was really strange.
Ninja cat of justice and valor!

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Gaara wrote:How does the weapon spawning thing work?
Yesterday one match had a perfect balance of weapons, but in the match after that almost everyone had like a stone sword or steel shovel, then the in match after that there was a whole ton of steel swords, and picks and other stuff. Was really strange.
All the items that can be found in the chests, have to be registered with the treasurer mod first, along with other params like rarity and it's wear level (the progress bar in the inventory slot that decreases every time a tool is used). In CTF, every item is registered with a wear level of 0 (i.e. brand-new / unused), as the treasure-chests are the primary source for resources here. Depending on it's rarity, the chances of finding an item in the chests vary from none to very likely.

The problem arises when too few items spawn in the chests (attributed to the randomised nature of the treasure-spawning mod), or when items spawn more on one side of the barrier. This can possibly be alleviated by modifying the code to accept another param that holds the lower-limit for a particular item, so that the mod spawns at least 'n' items every match. I too have faced this problem on numerous occasions - I'll see what I can do about it...
My Mods

PETE
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Post

Enrikoo wrote:An example of the semi-epic round: I was 1 and PETE was 2. I have 30 kills and him 41. I died 2 times and PETE 8 times. It's because PETE does spawnkilling and I kill PETE almost 3 - 4 times.

I was indeed not spawnkilling I was at my base defending it form a horde of reds that why I got lots of kills I only died to my trackpad my mouse has not yet arrived when I ordered it from eBay a couple days ago.
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ
In-game: SouperRayene10 CESTRayCRYSTAL

by CESTRayCRYSTALwZ » Post

can the admin add an stamina apple : ? a green apple who give us 5+ stamina found only in chests :)

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ wrote:can the admin add an stamina apple : ? a green apple who give us 5+ stamina found only in chests :)
IMHO, "stamina apples" are unnecessary, as stamina is fully replenished in 10 seconds anyway, but if such an item is added, a boost of 2-3 stamina would be ideal - 5 stamina / apple is way too over-kill.
My Mods

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Post

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ wrote:can the admin add an stamina apple : ? a green apple who give us 5+ stamina found only in chests :)
I think that would result in making matches even shorter, cause person with apples like this could easily just run away with flag without anyone catching them, unless that person also has apples.
Personally i am fan of long matches, so there's plenty of time to build base, to go mining and generally have fun.

Gaara

by Gaara » Post

We don't really need a stamina apple, IMO we already get enough, and besides that it would remove the simplicity of the whole game.

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

I agree with iceAge long matches are way nicer; in short matches all the effort put in collecting weapons and building materials is wasted.
no

Gaara

by Gaara » Post

Actually lets add an immortality apple as well while were at it.

PETE

by PETE » Post

You know about the Pros on one team and one Pro on the other team why do you complain that it is not fair it's more fun to play with that more challenge and more people to expose xD but srsly its fun.

Waterbug
IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman

by Waterbug » Post

I have an idea for balancing the teams better: the server could evenly split pro players between the two teams at the beginning of each match (telling who a pro player is by their kill/death ratio) and then evenly split the noob players (players with low kill/death ratio) between the two teams.
Last edited by Waterbug on Thu Mar 29, 2018 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ
In-game: SouperRayene10 CESTRayCRYSTAL

by CESTRayCRYSTALwZ » Post

IceAgeComing wrote:
I think that would result in making matches even shorter, cause person with apples like this could easily just run away with flag without anyone catching them, unless that person also has apples.
Personally i am fan of long matches, so there's plenty of time to build base, to go mining and generally have fun.
but making only 5 apples in all chests in every map isn t bad ... or making the one apple gives 2 staminas to stamina bar :D

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Would you please delete the 2 lakes map? So many people(including me) are not fond of it.
What is SCP-055?

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

I would like it if we could have the map back that we had when I first played this server (December 2015). It looked like mapgen v6 terrain, had apple trees (not nearly as many as the two hills and two lakes map though), some lakes, and a bunch of cliffs that were say 10 to 20 blocks tall. It also had caves.

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

CESTRayCRYSTALwZ wrote:but making only 5 apples in all chests in every map isn t bad ... or making the one apple gives 2 staminas to stamina bar :D
I think this would be a superfluous change that would just make the game more complicated for no reason.

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

Okay guys, I have an idea that maybe might just put the spawn-killing issue to rest forever: Players could get the normal amount of points for the first few spawn-kills they do in a match as if it were a perfectly legitimate kill, then the next few spawn-kills result in 0 points gained or lost (this could allow for the little bit of spawn-killing that is sometimes necessary); and then any further spawn-killing by the player results in lost points with the amount of points lost per kill increasing exponentially the more spawn-kills the player does in that match. For example: a spawn-killer could lose only a few points for a spawn-kill if they have only spawn-killed 10 or so times that match, but a player who has spawn-killed dozens of times loses like 100 points per spawn-kill.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I have a better idea. When you spawn-kill..., you die. And you cannot rejoin the game for a set time after
A Wonderful World

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:I have a better idea. When you spawn-kill..., you die. And you cannot rejoin the game for a set time after
Is this a joke?
Edit: Or do you mean they die if they spawn-kill one too many times?
Last edited by Waterbug on Fri Mar 30, 2018 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

ShovelsMcGee
In-game: ShovelsMcGee

by ShovelsMcGee » Post

Waterbug wrote:Okay guys, I have an idea that maybe might just put the spawn-killing issue to rest forever: Players could get the normal amount of points for the first few spawn-kills they do in a match as if it were a perfectly legitimate kill, then the next few spawn-kills result in 0 points gained or lost (this could allow for the little bit of spawn-killing that is sometimes necessary); and then any further spawn-killing by the player results in lost points with the amount of points lost per kill increasing exponentially the more spawn-kills the player does in that match. For example: a spawn-killer could lose only a few points for a spawn-kill if they have only spawn-killed 10 or so times that match, but a player who has spawn-killed dozens of times loses like 100 points per spawn-kill.
I assume spawnkilling is simply defined as killing within x blocks of the opposing teams flag. I think this idea has some merit (though the penalty could be strengthened at the higher end). I would also add perhaps kills in this spawn zone should not contribute to a persons K/D ratio. I don't think this would change gameplay dramatically as you will still need to kill to capture the flag, or protect your flagrunner - just that now it would be for the greater good of the team. But If it did change the game at all, it might make some players more likely to build bases knowing they are unlikely to be specifically targeted within their own spawn zone.

Another suggestion would be for flag runners that do not capture due to timeout, should be stripped of their points (half? all?). Too many players delay matches like this. The timeout period should also be shorter.

I would suggest some kind of test period if these changes were to be implemented, so as to avoid unforseen outcomes.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:I have a better idea. When you spawn-kill..., you die. And you cannot rejoin the game for a set time after
yea
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Gaara

by Gaara » Post

I agree with waterbug.
But with a slight modification: The first five spawnkills you do in each match you lose a fixed amount of points and your k/d and the victims k/d stays unchanged, then after the first five you lose points exponentially this would remove the spawnkillers motive to spawnkill(they do it for score) and not drastically affect "good" players score(they wont spawnkill a billion times) it would be a bit rough to people defending a flag-bearer, but honestly i don't mind losing points for that.

Here is a link to the github issue: https://github.com/rubenwardy/capturetheflag/issues/133

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

That would be a bit too drastic, killing an enemy inside their spawn radius is sometimes necessary to secure the flag.
Just making it hurt the players score will be enough to stop the spawnkillers.
ShovelsMcGee wrote: Another suggestion would be for flag runners that do not capture due to timeout, should be stripped of their points (half? all?). Too many players delay matches like this. The timeout period should also be shorter.

I would suggest some kind of test period if these changes were to be implemented, so as to avoid unforseen outcomes.
Good idea.

I agree with waterbug and Gaara's idea.
no

PETE

by PETE » Post

Waterbug wrote:I have an idea for balancing the teams better: the server could evenly split pro players between the two teams at the beginning of each match (telling who a pro player is by their kill/death ratio) and then evenly split the noob players (players with low kill/death ratio) between the two teams.

That would make swapping teams easier to abuse pros will make a new account and try to join the other team possibly creating a n unfair advantage if you want pros to be split.