[Server] Capture the Flag Server

DELTA_FORCE
IRC: DELTA_FORCE
In-game: DELTA_FORCE

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

Also are moderators allowed to pretty much ignore cheaters, hackers, exploiters, if those rule-breakers are on their team?
check me out nowhere because i never do anything

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:I haven't seen ooo playing when I am on IRC, so I have been playing. I think what the server needs is more strict moderators, because pretty much only Thomas-S takes the moderator thing seriously.
This is a bit ungrateful. I don't "take the moderator thing seriously" because I have a bunch of other things to do these days (preparing for my exams that I'm due to have next week for example…) and I can't be online as much as I'd like.

I didn't have the occasion yet to observe ooo closely, will do this as soon as possible.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

Thanks. I have exams too, but lets be honest. What CTF needs is a moderator(s) that strictly follow their guidelines (this means not kicking/banning someone because they know the person, or because they feel sympathetic), can be on at different times, investigate reports quicker, and I really only noticed 2 mods that really do that. I am not saying the rest are bad or anything, but I do believe mods should be more strict. I mean, look what CTF has become. One in 8 times I play I see someone hacking, breaking the rules, and they don't and won't learn unless you are stricter. Here is my idea for guidelines.

Hacking : PERMBAN
Griefing : Kick to 2D ban
Xray : 2D to PERMBAN
Cussing : Kick to 10D ban
Being rude : Kick to 2D ban
Being inappropriate : 2D to PERMBAN
Trapping teamates : Kick to 3D ban
Impersonating : 1D to PERMBAN

These are similar to the guidelines on my server and we haven't had too many troublemakers. Maybe this would help.

OrangeSoda
In-game: SG

by OrangeSoda » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:I haven't seen ooo playing when I am on IRC, so I have been playing. I think what the server needs is more strict moderators, because pretty much only Thomas-S takes the moderator thing seriously.
DELTA_FORCE wrote:Also are moderators allowed to pretty much ignore cheaters, hackers, exploiters, if those rule-breakers are on their team?
God forbid mods have lives outside of CtF.

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

God forbid mods have lives outside of CtF.
Why don't you comment on the things you quote?

DragonsVolcanoDance
IRC: DragonGirl
In-game: DragonsVolcanoDance

by DragonsVolcanoDance » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:What CTF needs is a moderator(s) that strictly follow their guidelines (this means not kicking/banning someone because they know the person, or because they feel sympathetic)
I don't know of any incident where this has happened; and I have an inclination that you may have misunderstood a situation and perceived it as this way.

However.
In the example of not kicking/banning someone because they know the person, may be because that particular person is a long-term player and has a good track record with the server. Given this, their chance of being given a second chance is a lot higher then players that only started playing the day before they got in trouble. This is not bad IMHO nor an example of bad moderation. Bad moderation would be the player being allowed to do it over and over and over again, and the staff member that is allowing it isn't doing anything about it.

Speaking of allowing..
DELTA_FORCE wrote:Also are moderators allowed to pretty much ignore cheaters, hackers, exploiters, if those rule-breakers are on their team?
No. You are acting like the staff members are a bunch of little kids that don't know what they are doing and have extreme biases based on the person being on their team. I really don't know where you got this from or why you seem to have such strong distaste for the staff, but you really need to stop making stuff up. When has this happened? I am betting never. And if it has happened, it would be better to present the incident to someone who can help, instead of heckling all the staff members on the forum with nothing to back you up with.
DELTA_FORCE wrote: I mean, look what CTF has become. One in 8 times I play I see someone hacking, breaking the rules, and they don't and won't learn unless you are stricter.
Actually, I am very strict with hackers. A couple weeks ago, (I believe it was) I logged into the server to do a random check and caught a player called ''Beffel'' (his alt was Oneshot--) illegally noclipping through the rock. He was kicked off the server immediately when I saw him. I will be surprised if he doesn't show up again. And that brings me to another situation about the server: Pretty much everyone knows how to get back on the server after being banned. It is very frustrating when this happens, and it has happened with almost every player I have dealt with. I really wish there was a way to prevent this better, but I don't know of anything that will work, other then seriously giving him a terrible time on the server by trolling him with admin tricks until he leaves it willingly.

With that being said, I think you need to start being more thankful and less ungrateful about things. If it were not for the staff members trying to take care of the server in the time they have, geesh would still be running around with his apple hacks, TheNightKing would be stabbing you from inside a wall, and all the other numerous hackers would be doing similar things. That spammer with that awful name that spammed an even awfuller message you saw a few posts back would have gotten away scot-free.

In my times on the server, I have not noticed even half the stuff that you seem to claim is going on. If you really are, then report it to a staff member. If they don't get after the player immediately, don't get angry with them. They may have more important things to attend to.

Stix wrote:I am quitting CTF alongside DELTA_FORCE till player "ooo" is dealt with, hope to see you all again soon.
Sorry to hear this. I haven't had as much time as I would like to be able to play on CTF as of late, and catch cheaters. The last times I've played I haven't noticed anything particularly suspicious about ooo, however I haven't had the time to investigate further.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Would it be too confusing if i deleted the content from a majority of my earlier posts which i feel were over-the-top cringey annoying and immature?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

DragonsVolcanoDance wrote: With that being said, I think you need to start being more thankful and less ungrateful about things. If it were not for the staff members trying to take care of the server in the time they have, geesh would still be running around with his apple hacks, TheNightKing would be stabbing you from inside a wall, and all the other numerous hackers would be doing similar things. That spammer with that awful name that spammed an even awfuller message you saw a few posts back would have gotten away scot-free.
I do disagree on this point, most of the proof was provided by the players on geesh's investigation ( I know this because I was involved).Although there was some good proof, geesh was banned on the basis of hearsay, there was no conclusive proof to claim that he was hacking. Same is the case with TheNightKing, players provided most of the proof but no action was taken against him until ofc Waterbug caught him red handed and banned him. So, players also have a big part in this not just the moderators. But yes everyone has lives outside this virtual world and no one is sitting in front of their computers just to moderate the server. And heh DELTA_FORCE what do you expect? Its one of the most popular servers till day so there are bound to be hackers.Probably provide a good conclusive evidence for the player 'ooo' and he may get banned. Just take the example of courts, they don't just give a death sentence based on hearsay, the courts check all the evidence and then come to a conclusion. That process takes time and you can't blame the court because its a procedure that has to be followed. Similarly it is with CTF.

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

Sounds good! Me and Stix believe he is xraying and dealing 1-2 hit kills. I don't have a YT channel so how would I show a video? (A screenshot wouldn't work.)

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

And I know they have lives too. I don't expect them to sit in front of their computers all day, watching over the server. (Although sadly I kinda sit in front of my PC for 6-8 hours :P)

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

@DragonsVolcanoDance
Lets say our friend Waterbug cheated. Would you spare him?

Stix

by Stix » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:@DragonsVolcanoDance
Ahah! Now that's a tricky situation, as they share an ip (they are siblings alongside Meechie), so i wouldn't expect DVD to answer that question (i mean common, that's a really unfair one don't you think?).

BTW: Chronoment and 6283t are also both convinced that ooo hacks after watching him.

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

No, I am saying that if DVD were to be fair as a mod, he would sadly have to ban WB. It would be the correct route. I am not saying WB cheats, but if that situation came up, DVD, what would you do? Break the rules or follow them?
TBH This question is not that fair, but it will show how how fair the rules really are.

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

Also, people say I really want to be a moderator. That had been true a while ago, but now my chances of being one are slim, as I made so many friends and following the rules as a mod would probably get them kicked. What I said earlier, I can't and won't fit that description.
Also, I couldn't ban people like WB, Stix, 6823t, ANAND, Pepper (Nvm about that. I wouldn't be too sad :P), and all my other friends. If I did that I would lose all of my friends.

Stix

by Stix » Post

BTW: DVD is a she.

Stix

by Stix » Post

Because DVD and waterbug share an ip, that means to ban Waterbug would be to ban herself, so probably if something like that ever happened they'd ban WB only by name and because they share an ip (and therefor live together) DVD could check to make sure WB wasn't joining under another name. This ofc is all very theoretical as the chance that Waterbug would cheat is very slim.

So lets get off this tangent, shall we?

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

I am just gonna call people "they" instead of guessing genders.
It was an example of someone we all like, Stix. Let's say you are a mod, and your best friend cheats. What would you do?
A moderator who obeys the rules would have to say yes, although it is a very hard decision.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

If the moderator didn't, the other moderators or the admin would.
What is SCP-055?

Stix

by Stix » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:I am just gonna call people "they" instead of guessing genders.
It was an example of someone we all like, Stix. Let's say you are a mod, and your best friend cheats. What would you do?
A moderator who obeys the rules would have to say yes, although it is a very hard decision.
I'd probably ban them, but offer them a chance to redeem themselves after their ban expired, as it's much easier for me to-do then others as i went without friends for most of my life, and therefore could do it again more easily than others.

DragonsVolcanoDance

Minetest Sam wrote: I do disagree on this point, most of the proof was provided by the players on geesh's investigation ( I know this because I was involved).Although there was some good proof, geesh was banned on the basis of hearsay, there was no conclusive proof to claim that he was hacking. Same is the case with TheNightKing, players provided most of the proof but no action was taken against him until ofc Waterbug caught him red handed and banned him. So, players also have a big part in this not just the moderators.
What you said in that paragraph there was laid out in a really confusing way, so it was pretty difficult to figure out what you meant. I probably misunderstood a lot of what you said, but here is my interpretation:
Spoiler
I may have mislead you a bit there, I do agree that people play a major role in the catching of hackers, as they are usually the ones to alert a staff member if something fishy is going on, and sometimes even make videos that show the incriminating things that they do. (Which is an excellent idea, as these are the best sort of evidence to show to staff members)

What I meant in my statement was, imagine if there were no staff at all to complain to about possible hackers/cheaters/rule-breakers. Everything said would be done in vain, as there is no one that can ban them. I have experienced this several times on previous CTF servers that had no staff at all, and the admin only showed up once in a blue moon. I know of a particular hacker that was on the server for months and never taken care of, despite the fact that pretty much everyone knew he was hacking.

...And nothing could be done about him because there was no staff at all. You need someone with the ban privilege to get rid of nasty people. (Or at least try, since half the people I ban come back 30 seconds later) -_-

In geesh's case, I was never given any evidence (such as screenshots, videos, etc) on him from anyone that I can remember. But since I had heard so much talk of him hacking, I went to investigate and managed to get some suspicious screenshots of his 'mining' underground. I don't believe they were evidence to ban him.. yet. I also wasn't ready to ban him just off of hearsay, because I have known people's words to not be trustworthy often times. I believe it is just as bad to ban someone who was mistakenly thought to be a hacker then to not ban a hacker.. so I try to be sure.

I don't remember much of geesh's case and who banned him, but I will say it is unlikely that he was banned solely off of hearsay.

In TheNightKing's case, I only got one complaint that I remember about him. Aurika did, and she had videos to back up her suspicions. I watched the videos and showed them to Waterbug. They weren't enough evidence by themselves to ban TheNightKing, but they did motivate Waterbug to start spying on him, which lead to his ban.

So he was not banned solely off of hearsay either. I don't believe that hearsay counts as 'proof' to ban someone. The only times that I'll punish someone off of hearsay is if someone says ''Sadie3 is putting players in lava!!'' Or ''voiletplays is breaking the base and won't stop!''

DragonsVolcanoDance

DELTA_FORCE wrote:@DragonsVolcanoDance
That's got to be the worst example you could find. :P

1. The chance of Waterbug hacking is lower then the chance of someone compromising his account and hacking with it.

2. I don't like the idea of banning myself.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Before you pick on a server's staff maybe you should try being an active and fair staff member on a server in the top 5 in the serverlist. At the same time staying ahead of all your duties irl.
If you want the staff to deal with someone who's breaking the rules then do any work you can for them: Take screenshots and/or record your matches so you can post proof with your reports. Maybe even a few other things I haven't thought of.
If the staff banned every person someone reported regardless of whether or said report was backed up with proof I could probably trick the staff into banning DELTA_FORCE for using a hacked client that spammed apples and allowed oredetect/xray Unfortunately not possible. I guess I'll have to stick to cowering in fear whenever they're online...

From what I've seen the staff are doing a great job considering all their real life duties and massive amounts of reports per day :thumbsup:
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

DragonsVolcanoDance wrote: I don't remember much of geesh's case and who banned him, but I will say it is unlikely that he was banned solely off of hearsay.
Well, he was banned by ANAND And yes there was no conclusive evidence to ban him. There was a lot of evidence of him healing quickly and getting all the diamonds in Caverns but no conclusive evidence was there.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

We need a change for votes that automatically flips yes/no.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Stix

by Stix » Post

Users abusing discord for spam, i cant even see my teammates chat without full chat console their producing msg's so fast!: Image