[Server] Capture the Flag Server

DELTA_FORCE
IRC: DELTA_FORCE
In-game: DELTA_FORCE

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

May I have the map files? I'm working on a minetest animation and want to try a CTF one first.
check me out nowhere because i never do anything

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:May I have the map files? I'm working on a minetest animation and want to try a CTF one first.
https://github.com/MT-CTF/maps
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Also, retreating keeps you alive, and allows you to kill again, so yes, a K/D of over 1.5 is entirely possible.
What is SCP-055?

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:Don't hold down the attack button on an enemy, rapidclick it.
No, you are completely wrong there; first of all holding down the button is faster than rapidclicking it, and secondly, timing your hits is the most effective way to deal damage. Note that how long the ideal delays are between clicks depends on the weapon and you have to get used to them.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:Don't hold down the attack button on an enemy, rapidclick it.
No, you are completely wrong there; first of all holding down the button is faster than rapidclicking it, and secondly, timing your hits is the most effective way to deal damage. Note that how long the ideal delays are between clicks depends on the weapon and you have to get used to them.
I'll try that but I think it's all the same. You just do more damage per click
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Waterbug
IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman

by Waterbug » Post

liljet keeps coming back with alternate accounts every time he is banned.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Stix wrote:There will never be completely even matches with completely even players as some players are more skilled than others
That is self-contradicting. If some players are more skilled than others then they are not completely even.
Stix wrote:If a majority of players hate a map and complain about it then it should be removed or changed to better fit what a majority of the player-base find fun.
They only don't find it fun because they never even tried it. It's like "boo we got this map again let's skip it" without even giving it a fair chance.
Lone_Wolf wrote:If you can't get a weapon from the chest then you mine for one. Don't rely on the other players to supply you with weapons.
Good luck doing that when the match is already going and you'll get killed before you get a chance to mine anything.
Lone_Wolf wrote:And for the vote skipping: Just /no and ask the vote starter to stop
I do vote no. Everyone else votes yes because of herd mentality ("boo we all hate this map everyone hates this map let's just hate on it because everyone else hates it and ur dumb if u don't hate it").
Chem871 wrote:Also, retreating keeps you alive, and allows you to kill again, so yes, a K/D of over 1.5 is entirely possible.
Doesn't work when you're evenly-matched and both sides are using the same tactic.

[hr]

In other words, giving the more skilled players the better weapons widens the gap even further. In a *completely* fair system (not saying that this should be done because it won't make the game very fun) the more skilled players should be handicapped to even out the skill level. In a game that's actually fun, players of different skill levels should have the same weapons so that the game is won by skill, not by who managed to get access to the better weapons. If you're a newcomer and 75% of the players have better weapons than you, even if you're as skilled as them it's going to be very difficult to get the same K/D as them. Because statistically, if the majority of player's are of a similar skill level, everyone's K/D will approach 1. It's basic statistics, every pro having a K/D of 1.5 is only possible if the server has a high proportion of noobs.

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Post

micheal65536 wrote: In other words, giving the more skilled players the better weapons widens the gap even further. In a *completely* fair system (not saying that this should be done because it won't make the game very fun) the more skilled players should be handicapped to even out the skill level. In a game that's actually fun, players of different skill levels should have the same weapons so that the game is won by skill, not by who managed to get access to the better weapons. If you're a newcomer and 75% of the players have better weapons than you, even if you're as skilled as them it's going to be very difficult to get the same K/D as them. Because statistically, if the majority of player's are of a similar skill level, everyone's K/D will approach 1. It's basic statistics, every pro having a K/D of 1.5 is only possible if the server has a high proportion of noobs.
You probably will be interested in this issue posted on CTF-repository: Chest points. It is about changing requirements for pro section from K/D ratio to some kind of currency.

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

micheal65536 wrote:It's basic statistics, every pro having a K/D of 1.5 is only possible if the server has a high proportion of noobs.
Yes, that's indeed the case here. Around 70-80% of the server's user-base is made up of clueless noobs. Players who actually play make up 20-30%, and the "pros", even lesser.
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Waterbug wrote:liljet keeps coming back with alternate accounts every time he is banned.
Why was liljet banned?

Also, I've finally 'discovered' the quote button :/
What is SCP-055?

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

micheal65536 wrote:....In addition to immunity after respawning, make players unable to attack after respawning. This would prevent the situation where a would-be capturer gets close to the base and is attacked by a defender, kills the defender, and is attacked by the defender again until their health depletes (only made worse by the fact that the capturer now cannot kill the defender a second time because they are immune).

EDIT: ...People misuse this by voting to skip as soon as they get a map that they do not like, rather than its intended purpose of terminating a match that has reached a stalemate. There seem to be only two or three (very similar) maps that people like, and they complain about the others ("this one's too flat", "this one doesn't have enough ore", etc.) instead of finding interesting ways to work around the challenges that each map presents.
1 you gotta be sneaky when taking the flag and once you have the flag you get out of the base, you don't stay around to get beat up, so this is imo a non issue.

2 yea everyone seems to love the caverns map I've no idea why, and I agree with finding new ways to play on different maps.
no

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

micheal65536 wrote:
Stix wrote:There will never be completely even matches with completely even players as some players are more skilled than others
That is self-contradicting. If some players are more skilled than others then they are not completely even.
Stix wrote:If a majority of players hate a map and complain about it then it should be removed or changed to better fit what a majority of the player-base find fun.
They only don't find it fun because they never even tried it. It's like "boo we got this map again let's skip it" without even giving it a fair chance.
Lone_Wolf wrote:If you can't get a weapon from the chest then you mine for one. Don't rely on the other players to supply you with weapons.
Good luck doing that when the match is already going and you'll get killed before you get a chance to mine anything.
Lone_Wolf wrote:And for the vote skipping: Just /no and ask the vote starter to stop
I do vote no. Everyone else votes yes because of herd mentality ("boo we all hate this map everyone hates this map let's just hate on it because everyone else hates it and ur dumb if u don't hate it").
Chem871 wrote:Also, retreating keeps you alive, and allows you to kill again, so yes, a K/D of over 1.5 is entirely possible.
Doesn't work when you're evenly-matched and both sides are using the same tactic.

[hr]

In other words, giving the more skilled players the better weapons widens the gap even further. In a *completely* fair system (not saying that this should be done because it won't make the game very fun) the more skilled players should be handicapped to even out the skill level. In a game that's actually fun, players of different skill levels should have the same weapons so that the game is won by skill, not by who managed to get access to the better weapons. If you're a newcomer and 75% of the players have better weapons than you, even if you're as skilled as them it's going to be very difficult to get the same K/D as them. Because statistically, if the majority of player's are of a similar skill level, everyone's K/D will approach 1. It's basic statistics, every pro having a K/D of 1.5 is only possible if the server has a high proportion of noobs.
1. Stix was saying there will never be a completely even match

2. They usually have tried it. And prefer another match. Most of the players on CTF are 14 and under. They aren't always willing to do what's hardest.

3. Where are you mining? If front of the enemy base's door? I've never been killed going out to mine. Behind base is preferable

4. Some maps just don't suit most of the players online. I'll admit I have seen some overuse before. But again: Just ask the person who started the vote to stop.

5. Giving the skilled players better weapons means it's easier to kill the skilled players on the other team which means the skilled players on your team can bring back more swords. The Pro section of the chest only has so much space. The weapons will start to leak over.
One of the reasons there is never anything in the regular chest is there are players that take anything they can get their hands on. I've seen players leave and flood the base with items. They had just sat there emptying the chest until they had to leave. If the pro requirements were lower then those players would probably get access to the better weapons too. So you still wouldn't be able to get any weapon.

And to get a better K/D maybe you should train on some noobs in the dead hours :P

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

micheal65536 wrote:
You obviously need to re-read this, because i'm saying that there never will be completely even matches...
micheal65536 wrote:
That is not true, the reason players hate it is because they tried it and found the matches and the map extremely boring. You really need to stop making up crap about players to try to make your arguments appear valid...
micheal65536 wrote:
Its rather easy, even if the cave entrance is in the middle of the map all you have to-do is to wait till the enemy is distracted then dash towards and then down the hole, and i think you know what to do there.
micheal65536 wrote:
Once again your making things up, just stop it, please.
micheal65536 wrote:
Not true:
1. There will never be completely fair matches.
2. If you want a good k/d you need to actually try to get better instead of wining how its impossible. (even i, an extremely suicidal player, and sometimes noob, has a k/d twice that).
3. There is a little game changer known as tactics, bud.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Stix wrote:
micheal65536 wrote:
You obviously need to re-read this, because i'm saying that there never will be completely even matches...
You said "there will never be completely even matches with completely even players as some players are more skilled than others". In itself, that statement is invalid. It is a contradiction to say "some players are more skilled than others" when we are talking about a situation with "completely even players". If the players are completely even, some cannot be more skilled than others. If some players are more skilled than others, they cannot be completely even.

In practical terms, of course the players are not *completely* even. But they are even enough that if you put them all together, their K/Ds will be close to 1. The *only* way to have a disproportionate K/D is if there is a disproportionate balance between player skill levels (or if one player has access to better weapons).
Stix wrote:
micheal65536 wrote:
That is not true, the reason players hate it is because they tried it and found the matches and the map extremely boring. You really need to stop making up crap about players to try to make your arguments appear valid...
I'm not making anything up. I saw the chat when it happened (multiple times). You didn't.
Stix wrote:
micheal65536 wrote:
Once again your making things up, just stop it, please.
See previous quote.
Stix wrote:If you want a good k/d you need to actually try to get better instead of wining how its impossible. (even i, an extremely suicidal player, and sometimes noob, has a k/d twice that).
Of course you have a high K/D, because you have access to the better weapons. Like it or not, the simple fact is that, statistically, the established players have a high K/D at the expense of the new players because they have better weapons. I can beat an established player with a 50-50 chance if we both have e.g. steel swords. Give me a wooden sword and you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that I could even stand a chance of killing them.

Esskeetit
IRC: Esskeetit
In-game: Esskeetit Rio

by Esskeetit » Post

Hey guys! I've been having problems joining CTF recently. I am absolutely confused and have no idea what's happened. Whenever I click to join CTF, type in my password and hit enter this happens :

I hope to play CTF again soon, and if any of you know the problem please share and let me know :P. Cheers.
-Esskeetit
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-11-24 12-45-55.png
Screenshot from 2018-11-24 12-45-55.png (23.91 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Esskeeetitttttt

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

Please tell me what operating system you are on, what ISP you have, and what version of minetest you have. Then I could help you further.
Last edited by DELTA_FORCE on Sat Nov 24, 2018 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

Esskeetit

by Esskeetit » Post

Linux/Ubuntu, internet cables and routers and Minetest 4.16
Esskeeetitttttt

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Esskeetit wrote:Hey guys! I've been having problems joining CTF recently. I am absolutely confused and have no idea what's happened. Whenever I click to join CTF, type in my password and hit enter this happens :

I hope to play CTF again soon, and if any of you know the problem please share and let me know :P. Cheers.
-Esskeetit
Check your internet connection. The server might have been down when you tried to join too. And maybe get the latest version of MT (0.4.17.1)

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

Are you in Arizona or somewhere in the mid-west?

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

LW : I can join and I have 4.16.
Esskeetit : Do you have discord? It may be easier to communicate.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:LW : I can join and I have 4.16.
eh, 0.4.17.1 is slightly better

DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

5.0.0 is better

Esskeetit

by Esskeetit » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:Are you in Arizona or somewhere in the mid-west?
No
Esskeeetitttttt

Esskeetit

by Esskeetit » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:LW : I can join and I have 4.16.
No either
Esskeeetitttttt

Esskeetit

by Esskeetit » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Esskeetit wrote:Hey guys! I've been having problems joining CTF recently. I am absolutely confused and have no idea what's happened. Whenever I click to join CTF, type in my password and hit enter this happens :

-Esskeetit
Check your internet connection. The server might have been down when you tried to join too. And maybe get the latest version of MT (0.4.17.1)
Ok thanks. I will try to get it updated
Esskeeetitttttt