[Server] Capture the Flag Server

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Christmas Event!)

by LMD » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:17
Lone_Wolf wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 18:14

I doubt we still have the logs, and it would take too much of my free time to check.
Wow big professionalism here....

Always keep the logs, ALWAYS. It's the first rule, even 5yo kids that host their server with their home pc know that.
Generally speaking, GDPR data retention rules require any personal data that is collected or processed to be kept only for as long as data are required to achieve the purpose for which the information was collected, although there are exceptions – scientific or historical research for example.
Keeping logs forever is very likely illegal under EU law. Logs should only be kept for a reasonable period of time. Logs for an active server also take up a lot of space even if compressed. Rotating logs is standard practice.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:17

Wow big professionalism here....

Always keep the logs, ALWAYS. It's the first rule, even 5yo kids that host their server with their home pc know that.
I keep logs, but as LMD said: I try to delete them after a certain amount of time, and whenever I turn on full logging to debug things the filesizes grow quite fast.

The logs bomberman was asking about would be from early 2021, which is almost two years ago now.
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Hi i'd like to point out some "strange" things that have happened in the last months, most of them shouldn't happen anytime.

1) I noticed a massive amount of new players, sometimes the server was even almost full but there wasn't any moderator on it. It happens almost daily and in some cases there were some players hacking and we had to keep spamming reports in the hope that someone would see them and join.
2) In the wave of new players i noticed some that seemed to be extremely skilled, maybe too much as they were (and some of them are) capable of killing ThunderDragonZ. CTF's pvp mechanics is different from any other pvp server and that made me think. A day while i was playing i noticed one of those players clearly hacking and he got banned; is it maybe that those people were/are hacking? All of them (apart one) left the server quickly after i made them some questions via pm which one of them told me he was hacking....
3) Server lags a lot, especially with some maps like abandoned battlefield. My connection is quite good and i can play without lag on a server that is located in australia. A lot of players keep reporting lag issues and "strangely" it's when i have lag too. When there are 35+ players it becomes unplayable as there is continue lag and some brutal lag spikes.
4) yourbad is hacking, there is not really much to say more. I have no idea what he is using but he does not miss a single hit, he never missed a single hit. He never dies unles he gets assaulted by 10 players hitting him at the same time with iron and mese swords. I am not the only one that says it. He does not respect anyone like if he thinks he is better than everyone, even better than Landar. I tried to tell him about it but i received the typical response of an idiot.... No idea why none has banned him yet but we have enough of him.
5) Nade physic is quite random, jump + throw = nade goes downwards or down. sprint + jump + throw = nade does not explode when hit soil but instead slips 2 blocks more and then explodes or nade just goes downwards. Is there a way to improve it?

Sorry if this is quite provocating but I never saw CTF falling down so much since 2017.
OneUnitedPower

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

my daughter (as celine) and me as Thomas was yesterday for maybe 10 rounds on server,
I guess it is not very smart to play there with rtt around 205 ms
but I was always slow then all others - or I missed to use sprint ?

there was still everything I remember
* own team member block ways
* once even block me - until I wrote I have to start video capture
* one meant another used aimbot ...
yeah yeah ...

We has most laughter during short been Enemy and meet both Tunneling, and here our others digging sound = we was near each other and start search and kill,
or if lucky both hide near enemy flag and then attack together just when the flag came back, nice ...

Place 67xx - would need more training, but not with ping 205
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

monkeypox

by monkeypox » Post

I was banned for this name "MonkeyPox" after using it for several months. Even other player asked mod "why now?"
just be warned that some moderator might make up his or her own rule. Done with this server. I didn't do much else multiplayer so will sadly probably try to get behind non-free multicraft because it has a larger audiance and less uptight moderators.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 00:59
my daughter (as celine) and me as Thomas was yesterday for maybe 10 rounds on server,
There is actually an Australian CTF server I found on the server list "MeseLands Testing" address pimonkey.minecity.online:3000, which seems to be in Sydney where I can get 20 ms RTT. That's probably closer to you. I've never seen anyone online on it though so you'll have to bring your own players and I can't vouch for if it lags or not.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 01:29
There is actually an Australian CTF server ...
Thanks, my daughter choose it (this) as remember me about long time ago (2016-2017) we had here fun,
I / We die a lot, but we laugh so much during chase each other or work together
that the rtt is not the main problem.

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

monkeypox wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 01:28
I was banned for this name "MonkeyPox" after using it for several months. Even other player asked mod "why now?"
just be warned that some moderator might make up his or her own rule. Done with this server. I didn't do much else multiplayer so will sadly probably try to get behind non-free multicraft because it has a larger audiance and less uptight moderators.
This happens because the rules are not precise and everyone can interpretate them in a different way. I already warned the admin but no response, i guess that if you don't even play on your server means that you don't give a s**t about it.
OneUnitedPower

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

also the fact that the post of historical players warning him that there are several problems gets completely ignored explains a lot of things
OneUnitedPower

monkeypox

by monkeypox » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 15:44
also the fact that the post of historical players warning him that there are several problems gets completely ignored explains a lot of things
I read back far enough to see this server isn't for me. Owner is going to make their choices, bad ones btw (:

Xanadu, Survival X, Nicos were all #1 in popularity at one time, & lesser known but very good server "Ancient Survival" I quit each of them because of the personality of some authoritarian moderator, sometime owner hiding behind them ( Xanadu,Nicos ) or their lack of enforcing cheating rules against certain individuals

Just a heads up to server owners.
No moderation is better than what most of you have.

PrairieWind
GitHub: PrairieAstronomer
IRC: PrairieWind
In-game: PrairieWind

by PrairieWind » Post

Keeping the automatic minetest logs anyway are automatically deleted after they reach a certain size, unless the second log file doesnt exist yet, which with as popular as CTF is, would exist anyway. Once the main debug.txt file reaches a set size, the debug.txt.1 file gets deleted and replaced with the debug info from the main debug.txt file. So, without saving those files, the logs get deleted anyway so stuff from 2 years ago isn't going to exist at all.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

monkeypox wrote:
It probably wasn't noticed until the day you were warned for it.
The two staff online at the time saw it and agreed it should be changed. They kicked you asking you to change your name to something acceptable (which your rankings would be transferred to), you rejoined and started complaining, and that continued until you began swearing and were banned.

I can see both sides of the argument for/against having that name on CTF, but that doesn't need to be brought up: I linked your message to all of the staff (not just the ones that dealt with you), and they decided to allow the name after everyone had their say.
If you change your mind and want to get unbanned you may DM me confirming you're not going to return maliciously.
I'm sorry you had/have to go through this.

Next time if you or someone else disagree with a staff decision and don't want to get banned I'd recommend either complying or leaving the game, while requesting they get the opinion of all of the other staff, or DMing my account here on the forums, where I can relay your message to them.
monkeypox wrote:
Done with this server. I didn't do much else multiplayer so will sadly probably try to get behind non-free multicraft because it has a larger audiance and less uptight moderators.
Keep in mind this server is meant to be relatively child-friendly, so depending on your definition of 'uptight' that may be unavoidable
monkeypox wrote:
just be warned that some moderator might make up his or her own rule.
The rules can't cover every possible situation, so we sometimes rely on staff discretion. This can occasionally be flawed, but it doesn't have to be final. Keeping your cool and being respectful can help get things fixed quickly.

W3RQ01 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 15:44
I take note, but don't reply unless I have an answer other than "Noted", and it's unfortunately not possible for me to quickly solve all of the problems that come up, so you're at the mercy of my prioritization and free time.

I'm going to start working on some staff tools that'll help prevent/correct issues like MonkeyPox's. So expect even less game updates for a while :P

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 00:59
<...>
The server is hosted in Germany, I guess you're on the other side of the world?

I've killed someone with 3 second rtt before. So it is possible to play at 200ms, but you might have the best experience sticking to basebuilding :P
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

monkeypox

by monkeypox » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 19:49

I can see both sides of the argument for/against having that name on CTF
I appreciate CTF maturity in this matter and not the gool ol " staff decissions are final!"
I only played couple of days a week unlike during summer when I was on a bunch (probably why I'm unknown to staff) so don't worry about me trolling CTF, I don't have the time or good reason ( I suck , bad rank ).
So thanks, no hard feelings.

SkywardSword
GitHub: SkywardSword
IRC: SkywardSword
In-game: SkywardSword

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server

by SkywardSword » Post

Can I pls get unbanned I got banned for no reason it just says "You have been baned for Ban dodging" but pls unban me pls name is SkywardSword. :)

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

SkywardSword wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 18:35
Can I pls get unbanned I got banned for no reason it just says "You have been baned for Ban dodging" but pls unban me pls name is SkywardSword. :)
Sorry about that, I didn't notice how aggressive it was getting. You and 0AD should be able to play now

TrainWreck

by TrainWreck » Post

Hello guys,
last day I encountered a serious problem.
Im a very interested player on the minetest ctf server.
Yesterday I couldnt acces to my account TrainWreck nor either to my older account
As I never cheated, I don't know the reason.
Sure, I allowed my friends to modify a client and to play on my pc but I told them they should use another account.
As they told me they were banned, I looked up at my account, and saw that it was also banned.
Why is my account banned, if I never hacked on it?
Could the host maybe help me?
Thank you in advance

TrainWreck

by TrainWreck » Post

Hello guys,
last day I encountered a serious problem.
Im a very interested player on the minetest ctf server.
Yesterday I couldnt acces to my account TrainWreck nor either to my older account
As I never cheated, I don't know the reason.
Sure, I allowed my friends to modify a client and to play on my pc but I told them they should use another account.
As they told me they were banned, I looked up at my account, and saw that it was also banned.
Why is my account banned, if I never hacked on it?
Could the host maybe help me?
Thank you in advance

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

TrainWreck wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 18:06
Hello guys,
You should know, that we admins have only view data to detect a gamer: IP (range) and Accounts/Nicks.
As ban mods also can only use this data, just your friends using your typical IP-address was enough to decide, this IP user is not safe anymore - no matter what Nick/Account was used.
Hope others will learn out of this and do it better next time = say no to the friends, when want to do like this.

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5 also sell_her_on55

by c56 » Post

i killed _a using torch :D (he killed me using torch too )
screenshot_20230311_162122.png
screenshot_20230311_162122.png (172.56 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55

TrainWreck

by TrainWreck » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 23:33
TrainWreck wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 18:06
Hello guys,
You should know, that we admins have only view data to detect a gamer: IP (range) and Accounts/Nicks.
As ban mods also can only use this data, just your friends using your typical IP-address was enough to decide, this IP user is not safe anymore - no matter what Nick/Account was used.
Hope others will learn out of this and do it better next time = say no to the friends, when want to do like this.
Hello,
yes, I already noted this.
But as I'm not the hacker one, I don't know the reason.
I cannot even register one with my name TrainWreck/ a new one.
Would it be possible to make access to my account?
I already disallowed my friends to play with this IP Adress.
Thank you in advance.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

TrainWreck wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 09:09
Hello,
Thank you in advance.
Note that Festus1965 isn't a CTF admin, they have their own Minetest server(s) they run though.

Your account themother was banned for cheating.
You can DM Me saying if that name is familiar or not, and we'll continue the ban appeal there.

TrainWreck

by TrainWreck » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 04:51
TrainWreck wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 09:09
Hello,
Thank you in advance.
Note that Festus1965 isn't a CTF admin, they have their own Minetest server(s) they run though.

Your account themother was banned for cheating.
You can DM Me saying if that name is familiar or not, and we'll continue the ban appeal there.
Hello Lone_Wolf,
yes my friends made an account using that name.
What is DM?(Already noticed it)
Thanks

steeeeeven
GitHub: none
IRC: non e
In-game: steeeeeven

by steeeeeven » Post

Whenever I try to log in it says : "you are a suspected ban evader". pls help! I haven't done anything wrong I just played a little CTF and now I cant play now because of this error - thing. I have been using this username for a long time (since 2020) and I loved every second of it.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

steeeeeven wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 06:10
Whenever I try to log in it says : "you are a suspected ban evader". pls help! I haven't done anything wrong I just played a little CTF and now I cant play now because of this error - thing. I have been using this username for a long time (since 2020) and I loved every second of it.
I've sent you a forum DM. We can talk there so as not to flood this topic

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5 also sell_her_on55

by c56 » Post

is there a new class or something?
screenshot_20230404_093538.png
screenshot_20230404_093538.png (320.3 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
screenshot_20230404_093517.png
screenshot_20230404_093517.png (422.76 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
player UnKnownBlockss flew for at least 20 seconds (i was after him he jumped out of bridge and started to hover in the air for 20 seconds bevore he crashed down)
screenshot_20230403_182823.png
screenshot_20230403_182823.png (190.39 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
(edit) screenshots corrupted somehow if anyone else has screenshots of UnKnOwnblocks flying you can post it as evidence otherwise take this as claim with no real evidence
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55