[Server] Capture the Flag Server

IceAgeComing

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by IceAgeComing » Post

ANAND wrote:
IceAgeComing wrote:Been working on medieval themed CTF map with big wall in between 2 sides. Finally finished 1 side (except interior), time to work on 2nd side. :)
I'm worried about those beautiful structures being broken down - It would be nice if we could not break the structures in-game... maybe some sort of areas mod (I'm thinking of ShadowNinja's Areas mod)?

It is also implied that we would not be able to build any other extra structures (like extra fortifications, bridges, watch-towers, etc.), pluck apples, or execute the 'loulicats strategy' - an added challenge! Implementing this would definitively enhance the realism of the game. Of course, only this medieval village map could be protected (by the administrator), and no one else will have the privs to protect areas anywhere.

@rubenwardy - I saw your new crafting mod. Looks pretty interesting - how does it work?
it's definitely an interesting idea! But i am not sure i it would work on my map, or if i even would like it, since i have already added "secret" spots where people can find some ores to dig. It's one of my favorite parts of game, that if your team is losing and there's literally no weapons left for you, you can try to turn game around by going mining some iron. Also turning mining ability off, would mean people could get stuck in some spots where they aren't able to jump about and that would require adding a way that player could suicide.

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

IceAgeComing wrote: Also turning mining ability off, would mean people could get stuck in some spots where they aren't able to jump about and that would require adding a way that player could suicide.
you can already do "suicide" (for lack of a better word) by just using /killme
no

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Top 5 pvpers in alphebeticall order:
Anand
Aurika
Bob12
IceAgeComing
Stix
Waterbug.

Top 5 teamworkers in alphebeticall order:
Anand
IceAgeComing
Gael-de-Sailly
Niomey
Suezannah

Best all-a-round player:
IceAgeComing
Last edited by Stix on Tue Feb 27, 2018 23:45, edited 4 times in total.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Stix

by Stix » Post

could you remove most of the apples from the trees in the map: 2 hills and a lake?; now that weve gotten a taste of CTF without apple-spamming many pros hate this map becuz all the apples.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Stix wrote:could you remove most of the apples from the trees in the map: 2 hills and a lake?; now that weve gotten a taste of CTF without apple-spamming many pros hate this map becuz all the apples.
I'm not in favour of removing apples. It was annoying when we were always playing on this map, but since rubenwardy has added 2 other maps, I see this one as a particular one with a different strategy, that I enjoy more than before. It adds variety in game technique.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

ShovelsMcGee
In-game: ShovelsMcGee

by ShovelsMcGee » Post

It's not as bad as before by a long way, and will probably get less annoying with the addition of more maps. That being said, some reduction in apples in HnL would be nice, considering atm you can hoard multiple stacks worth.

The biggest issue right now is the griefers/spawnkillers.
Last edited by ShovelsMcGee on Wed Feb 28, 2018 03:20, edited 1 time in total.

Stix

by Stix » Post

oh hi gael, you were the person i forgot the name of to put on the top 5 teamworkers list

Stix

by Stix » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:
Stix wrote:could you remove most of the apples from the trees in the map: 2 hills and a lake?; now that weve gotten a taste of CTF without apple-spamming many pros hate this map becuz all the apples.
I'm not in favour of removing apples. It was annoying when we were always playing on this map, but since rubenwardy has added 2 other maps, I see this one as a particular one with a different strategy, that I enjoy more than before. It adds variety in game technique.
at least remove some apples? while a different techique might be good, on that map if you die u are totally screwed if the enemy team still has pros with apples alive.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Hi ShowelsMcGee, and welcome to the forums! :)
ShovelsMcGee wrote:It's not as bad as before by a long way, and will probably get less annoying with the addition of more maps.
xerox123 and ANAND have already made some maps, and IceAgeComing is still working on a very promising one (see previous posts). I'd like to start too but I need to find the time.
I proposed to add the Fractal map by xerox123 some weeks ago and was waiting for rubenwardy's opinion on this, but apparently no one noticed that.
It's a great, strictly symmetrical map, covered by a dense forest, without apples. The trees, as obstacles, will add some challenge.
Spoiler
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Stix

Re: [0.4.13-dev] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!)

by Stix » Post

ABJ wrote:Ruben, can you remove night or at least make it a bit brighter? I have eye problems and I become completely useless at night.
I also become less proficient at night, too dark to see much.

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

IceAgeComing wrote:it's definitely an interesting idea! But i am not sure i it would work on my map, or if i even would like it, since i have already added "secret" spots where people can find some ores to dig. It's one of my favorite parts of game, that if your team is losing and there's literally no weapons left for you, you can try to turn game around by going mining some iron. Also turning mining ability off, would mean people could get stuck in some spots where they aren't able to jump about and that would require adding a way that player could suicide.
Then disabling mining altogether is out of question - but the structures could be individually protected, while letting the
players mine anywhere else (including your secret spot).
Stix wrote:Top 5 pvpers in alphebeticall order:
Anand
Aurika
Bob12
IceAgeComing
Stix
Waterbug.

Top 5 teamworkers in alphebeticall order:
Anand
IceAgeComing
Gael-de-Sailly
Niomey
Suezannah

Best all-a-round player:
IceAgeComing
Top 5's can't be ascertained in PvP IMO - each player has their own style and strategies, and eagle2, Thomas-S and Michael_S deserve to be mentioned in the team-workers list. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I can see six names in the first 'Top 5' list... :P
I side with Gael de Sailly on this - while the absence of apples has radically changed the way we play CTF (never-ending matches, cool strategies, adorable team-work to name a few), their presence ensures that HnL does not become another gun-fighting arena like 'The Bridge', essentially retaining HnL's original identity.

BTW, would you care to list out the pros who hate HnL because of 'apple-spamming'? :)
ShovelsMcGee wrote:It's not as bad as before by a long way, and will probably get less annoying with the addition of more maps. That being said, some reduction in apples in HnL would be nice, considering atm you can hoard multiple stacks worth.
ShovelsMcGee - Welcome to the forums, where the true pros hang-out. :P

Limiting apples in a player's inventory to one stack might be a more elegant solution IMO, as apples are already insufficient when there are a lot of good players in the match.

But your 'location' is creeping me out... O_O
Gael de Sailly wrote:I proposed to add the Fractal map by xerox123 some weeks ago and was waiting for rubenwardy's opinion on this, but apparently no one noticed that.
It's a great, strictly symmetrical map, covered by a dense forest, without apples. The trees, as obstacles, will add some challenge.
I did explore that map a few days ago, and I feel that it is one of the best candidates to be added to CTF, and so is IceAgeComing's Medieval Village map.
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

ShovelsMcGee

by ShovelsMcGee » Post

ANAND wrote: Then disabling mining altogether is out of question - but the structures could be individually protected, while letting the
players mine anywhere else (including your secret spot).
I like the idea of being able to build on and damage the buildings (it only lasts the match anyway). If you want to make the structures hard to dig through have an obsidian (or other perhaps stronger) core. Or perhaps make part of the dividing wall's internal structure/foundations undestroyable so at least some digging or climbing is needed there.

PETE
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Post

I think there should be a healing system like apples or food where is the competitive when on the stone map kids with diamond swords come to our side a destroy us i think it might have not been smart to take away apples from maps
1. they should make a better healing system because all this does is make it easier to get killed you could get doubled teamed
2 people with better things can out play you way easier
3 how can you make battles more exciting without healing battles last longer it makes it more interesting i'm getting board of the competition
i know apples are broken for some people but some times the battles are based on luck, in a battle it's to see who gets more hits who hits first apples balance it out try make apples easier to find or add food and nerf them like make them have a heart regen
i have hope you have read this

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME HATE FOR THIS
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

PETE

by PETE » Post

Guys i'm gonna make a ctf trailer
for fun and try promote this community lets try make this the biggest sever on the server list
can someone help me like give me downloads to maps
and anyone that has flight privs can you spectate a game and email me the vids
IDK i'm just excited i will hopefully get this out. thank you

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

ShovelsMcGee wrote:I like the idea of being able to build on and damage the buildings (it only lasts the match anyway). If you want to make the structures hard to dig through have an obsidian (or other perhaps stronger) core. Or perhaps make part of the dividing wall's internal structure/foundations undestroyable so at least some digging or climbing is needed there.
If they are going to be destroyed anyway, what's the point of creating those intricate structures? :)
Obsidian is out of the equation, as it will adhere more to a horror theme, rather than a medieval theme IMO...
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

Stix

by Stix » Post

maybe limit apple stacking to 20? ANAND: i forgot there names, nxt time im playing on CTF ill write down their names.

Stix

by Stix » Post

PETE: ive yet to see you in-game, maybe one day :)

ShovelsMcGee

by ShovelsMcGee » Post

ANAND wrote: If they are going to be destroyed anyway, what's the point of creating those intricate structures? :)
Obsidian is out of the equation, as it will adhere more to a horror theme, rather than a medieval theme IMO...
Eyecandy?

ShovelsMcGee

by ShovelsMcGee » Post

Stix wrote:maybe limit apple stacking to 20? ANAND: i forgot there names, nxt time im playing on CTF ill write down their names.
I like that idea. Also am a "pro" who is not a fan of apples, as they literally can heal certain players faster than they can take damage... making some players invincible on that stage except for grenade.

Stix

by Stix » Post

another idea: apples still heal you but you can only eat 20 apples in a row before you have to wait for a 30s timer before you can eat again (the timer would display on top right corner of screen next to an apple txture image below where it say when a flag is taken)

gimp
GitHub: mrowlbio
IRC: Sasuke_Uchiha
In-game: Sasuke_Uchiha

by gimp » Post

I found a floating jungle that i thought would make a nice map
https://github.com/mrowlbio/my-ctf-maps
thTKKKwDe0hkkFGbHye4NxNnnceXMJTL

PETE

by PETE » Post

Stix wrote:PETE: ive yet to see you in-game, maybe one day :)

You have not yet seen me play ask annad Im really bad totally
jk i can beat ANNAD easier than other players I believe i beat grandolf bob12 EZ PZ
plus i can beat waterbug i use to better back in the old days though

PETE

by PETE » Post

Ctf rankings best all round player goes to annad
best Pvp arena fighter Waterbug
best i mobile player goes to yuo
best shovel fight goes to ShovelsMacGee
worst player at pvp me (PETE) leave me alone
best person that promotes the ice age iceagecoming
Thomas-s best teamworker
TSS-APEX is the highest rank jumper(formally)

PETE

by PETE » Post

ShovelsMcGee wrote:
Stix wrote:maybe limit apple stacking to 20? ANAND: i forgot there names, nxt time im playing on CTF ill write down their names.
I like that idea. Also am a "pro" who is not a fan of apples, as they literally can heal certain players faster than they can take damage... making some players invincible on that stage except for grenade.

Do you find games without apples more boring its harder to rank up and btw when will rankings restart
plus without them you can't really heal fast i agree making a limit to them would be smart plus apples have been on ctf for as long as I remember no point then removing them now why remove apples when you have the SMG, DIAMOND SWORD, GRENADES, SHOTTYS E.T.C

Stix

by Stix » Post

rankings dont determine whos best, just the most active, and waterbug isnt single best, me, bob12, anand, and iceagecomeing have all beat him before.