[Server] Capture the Flag Server

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!)

by LMD » Post

Chem871 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 18:43
A newbie killed you wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 02:41
And who said thos accs are mine? You cant prove it noob
This reaction alone half-proves it. Besides, the admin can check your IP.
IP checks are unreliable because of VPNs and dynamic IPs.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

A newbie killed you
In-game: Warthog and other names

by A newbie killed you » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 19:11
I let Warthog know they'd lose their DaPurpleHaze account if they didn't start behaving
That acc not binded to any banned ip, speaking of DaPurpleHaze can you admins reset passwords or change it?
When someone forgot a password on pro acc, can you admins help changing it? Just asking, didnt say i was him lol
Got the most powerful handgun in capture the flag, and it would blow your head clean off, youve got to ask yourself one question - Do I feel lucky?

A newbie killed you

LMD wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:48
IP checks are unreliable because of VPNs and dynamic IPs.
Totally agree, guys just read
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25320
Got the most powerful handgun in capture the flag, and it would blow your head clean off, youve got to ask yourself one question - Do I feel lucky?

Waterbug
IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman

by Waterbug » Post

A newbie killed you wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 02:46

Excuse me, but there are smart people and dumb people.
And apparaently you are not one of the smart
Rude.

I did not write anything stupid. It was meant to be funny.

A newbie killed you

Sorry not reading this forum any often

A newbie killed you

But now server is crashing as soon i run /s command, need to be fixed NOW

A newbie killed you

Same for /summary command

A newbie killed you

Can someone delete the chatcommand s and summary entity from init file?

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

The crashing was due to the use of legacy code that was recently removed. Fixed now
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

Can it be made so that players cannot build inside themselves?
Like, maybe make it so that if you are inside blocks, you get damaged slowly?
One of the problems is players building up to escape death all the time. This problem needs to be taken care of because it is so annoying and players are doing it more than I have ever seen them do it before. I would go so far as to say that players being able to build up quickly to escape death is a worse problem than apples were. Building up should be removed (or at least made difficult enough so that players will not do it all the time). The screenshot I posted some posts ago was not an exceptional screenshot. This happens every single match (with maps like caverns being the only maps where it doesn't happen), and it's horrible.

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

Also, can the no dying of fall damage thing be removed?
If a player dies before you can kill them, than you don't get the kill. Besides, players not dying of fall damage makes it so that they can escape sometimes when they should not be able to. You are supposed to die if you fall too far! One thing we could do is just make it so that if you die of a fall or in lava or by drowning, you lose a bunch of points.
And a better anti combat-logging feature would be to just replace the player with a dummy that lasts for 5 seconds when they leave the game that their attacker will have a chance to kill if they combat-log. The problem is that a kill is not decided until it actually happens. If someone combat-logs, their attacker should not instantly get the kill, because there is always a slim chance that their attacker would not have been able to finish the kill had the player not combat-logged(the attacker might get killed or a team-mate might kill the combat-logger instead for example).
Last edited by Waterbug on Wed Sep 23, 2020 01:47, edited 1 time in total.

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

I would also like it is knight's health got reduced back to 20 hp. It takes too long to kill a knight because of the 30 hp (3.2 seconds with a steel sword). With 20 hp, it only took 1.9 seconds to kill a player with a steel sword; this was much better. The reason why 30 hp is not as good is because you have more chance to get killed by another player after you win a 1 vs 1 fight because the fight took so long. There is also more chance for a 1 vs 1 to end up as a 2 vs 1 or worse because of the longer kill time. 30 hp makes it just that much harder to jump in, whack someone, and run. More health also made it harder to kill multiple players one after the other because when you get damaged you are at a worse disadvantage than when players had only 20 hp.
Imagine this: everyone only has 1 hp. This would make it so that you could in theory win a 2 vs 1 or even a 3 vs 1 if you just manage to punch the enemy players before they punch you because you die in one hit. with say 50 hp, you cannot win a 2 vs 1; instead, you have to run away and heal after every kill (so boring). I am using extremes in these theoretical situations to show that having less health (shorter kill-times) is better. Swords that have shorter full punch intervals would be another way to shorten fights.

Inkfish
In-game: newb Inkfish korbite

by Inkfish » Post

Waterbug wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 23:26

Can someone explain this??? Everyone on this server needs a spanking for being a noob.
Ahh, pillaring and ledging. The strategy of champions. :)
“Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.”

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

If knights are reduced back to 20 HP, the only advantage of knights becomes their spawning kit, which includes a steel sword. Otherwise the medic is a much better choice, as they have +10% speed, instead of -20%.
What is SCP-055?

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

I'll switch the fall damage over to also work with the combat system.

Not sure what to do with knights atm. Maybe give them their own set of weapons, like a greatsword or spear? Could be the same as a sword but with more range, you would usually get the first hit in a battle of swords that way. Would also be able to cap the flag from a little farther away though.
With that change the steel sword craft would also return for the other classes to use
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

Xestro told me in-game that there was a vote to take away my moderator privs. Can anyone confirm i this?

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

Chem871 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 16:56
If knights are reduced back to 20 HP, the only advantage of knights becomes their spawning kit, which includes a steel sword. Otherwise the medic is a much better choice, as they have +10% speed, instead of -20%.
Lone_Wolf wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 20:58
I'll switch the fall damage over to also work with the combat system.

Not sure what to do with knights atm. Maybe give them their own set of weapons, like a greatsword or spear? Could be the same as a sword but with more range, you would usually get the first hit in a battle of swords that way. Would also be able to cap the flag from a little farther away though.
With that change the steel sword craft would also return for the other classes to use
Let me help you. Leave knights the way they are, except reduce their hp back to 20 and change their speed back to normal, reduce medic's speed back to normal too, and get rid of the faster hp regen of medics. This way, medic will not be a better choice than knight. Because knight will spawn with a sword, but medic will not.
The solution is almost never to add more stuff. More stuff does not improve game-play. Adding more stuff only makes the game more complicated and levels the playing field.
It is okay if the only advantage of knights is their spawn kit; The classes do not need to be wildly different one from the other. I think all classes should have the same basic abilities (equal speed, hp, and the ability to use a steel sword), with only small differences. For example, knight could be the only class that automatically comes with a steel sword, medic could be the only class that can heal team-mates, sharpshooter could be the only class that spawns with a gun, etc; even the differences in this sentence would be sufficient to set the classes apart from each other. And about the fall damage, I maintain that you should die if you fall too far with no exceptions; preventing players from committing suicide is not worth sacrificing this. Just have players lose a bunch of points if they suicide.
Last edited by Waterbug on Thu Sep 24, 2020 00:13, edited 3 times in total.

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

I need to ask how do I get into discord?

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

I messaged you the complaints a little bit ago via a forum DM
Here's the Discord invite though: https://discord.gg/vcZTRPX (Can create an account at Discord.com)

bomberman

by bomberman » Post

cheating is rampant on the server, half of the players see in the dark, the other half is spawnkillers, reports do not affect anything,on discord banned for a picture where a black beats a white)))

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Sounds like the world is about to end

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

I should say that seeing in the dark is cheating. But there is no way to control it. So I can't take issue with anyone using the see in the dark with fog bug until it gets fixed. MustTest may have figured out how to completely get rid of seeing in the dark on his server. I think he also got rid of seeing inside blocks too.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Waterbug wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 02:50
I should say that seeing in the dark is cheating. But there is no way to control it. So I can't take issue with anyone using the see in the dark with fog bug until it gets fixed. MustTest may have figured out how to completely get rid of seeing in the dark on his server. I think he also got rid of seeing inside blocks too.
Anticheat is a touchy topic. You can implement lots of heuristics to detect certain forms of cheating (such as flying), but rendering is ultimatively client-controlled.

You could send less data to the client, for example not sending other player locations if they are obstructed, but this is difficult and requires the server to "do more".
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Could change the light source of stone to 1. It'll have a slight glow then and will make things even for all the players in maps like the tunnel or caverns

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 15:09
Could change the light source of stone to 1. It'll have a slight glow then and will make things even for all the players in maps like the tunnel or caverns
What about putting the ambient light back in that was in the 0.4.X series so that the dark is not completely dark? Or can this not be done?