[Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!)

Chem871
Member
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 21:49
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx
Location: My Basement's Attic

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Chem871 » Post

What version of Minetest has auto-complete?? Or is it from IRC?
What is SCP-055?

User avatar
ANAND
Member
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54
GitHub: ClobberXD
IRC: ANAND ClobberXD
In-game: ANAND ClobberXD
Location: India
Contact:

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by ANAND » Post

Chem871 wrote:What version of Minetest has auto-complete?? Or is it from IRC?
What version doesn't? I myself have used autocomplete from 0.4.16, and I'm sure it's much older than that...

Chem871
Member
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 21:49
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx
Location: My Basement's Attic

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Chem871 » Post

Are you just hitting the up arrow, or.... something else?
What is SCP-055?

User avatar
ANAND
Member
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54
GitHub: ClobberXD
IRC: ANAND ClobberXD
In-game: ANAND ClobberXD
Location: India
Contact:

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by ANAND » Post

Chem871 wrote:Are you just hitting the up arrow, or.... something else?
Enter the first few letters of a name (player needs to be online), and press Tab.

Chem871
Member
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 21:49
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx
Location: My Basement's Attic

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Chem871 » Post

I didn't know that was a feature of Minetest. :/
What is SCP-055?

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf
Location: Not there, THERE!

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Chem871 wrote:I didn't know that was a feature of Minetest. :/
Yep. Only one problem though: You have to be able to see the nametag of the player for the autocomplete to work. Seems to work fine in CTF though.

BBmine
Member
Posts: 3475
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:51
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins
Location: USA

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by BBmine » Post

ANAND wrote:
Chem871 wrote:What version of Minetest has auto-complete?? Or is it from IRC?
What version doesn't? I myself have used autocomplete from 0.4.16, and I'm sure it's much older than that...
0.4.16 was the first time it worked for me. 0.4.16 and older probably won't have it.

Chem871
Member
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 21:49
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx
Location: My Basement's Attic

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Chem871 » Post

Why are geesh, sam12, and TheNightKing still on the rankings, despite being hackers?
What is SCP-055?

User avatar
LMD
Member
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 08:16
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by LMD » Post

Image
My alternate account LMD was hacked by some guy. Please reset the password to some random stuff.
Note : I viewed him from the account "PROLMD". He changed my password which unfortunately was empty(I didn't know how to change) to something else.
Attachments
ive got a problem.png
(36.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by LMD on Tue Nov 20, 2018 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

User avatar
Phoenixflo44
Member
Posts: 639
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 15:01
In-game: EvilPhoenix
Location: Behind my PC, in Germany

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

I'm the hacker :D:D:D:D
+ Spoiler

User avatar
LMD
Member
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 08:16
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by LMD » Post

So what did you change the password to ?
EDIT : Actually, I was PMed that Phoenixflos message only was a joke - he is apparently not responsible for this.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

DELTA_FORCE
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 01:26
IRC: DELTA_FORCE
In-game: DELTA_FORCE
Location: Central US

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

Well, as I said, the moderator told me not to take the flag or I would be kicked. So you know what I did? I took it knowing that a moderator couldn't kick me for that and it was easy points. Well, I didn't know that the moderator wasn't bluffing so I was kicked. (Also, there was a second moderator that witnessed the whole thing and did nothing about it.)
check me out nowhere because i never do anything

Chem871
Member
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 21:49
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx
Location: My Basement's Attic

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Chem871 » Post

Could you say which moderators?
What is SCP-055?

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf
Location: Not there, THERE!

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Chem871 wrote:Could you say which moderators?
I don't think we need to know. They've hopefully learnt their lesson. Especially after all the talk about it here

User avatar
LMD
Member
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 08:16
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by LMD » Post

Theres no need for some public blaming ;)
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

DELTA_FORCE
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 01:26
IRC: DELTA_FORCE
In-game: DELTA_FORCE
Location: Central US

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

I already informed that the moderator said sorry. Only ANAND and Waterbug know who that moderator is.
check me out nowhere because i never do anything

User avatar
Waterbug
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 23:25
IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman
Location: Great Lakes Region

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Waterbug » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:Well, as I said, the moderator told me not to take the flag or I would be kicked. So you know what I did? I took it knowing that a moderator couldn't kick me for that and it was easy points. Well, I didn't know that the moderator wasn't bluffing so I was kicked. (Also, there was a second moderator that witnessed the whole thing and did nothing about it.)
Please stop complaining about this. The moderators apologized for this; and you said you were okay and good, so your posting this on the forum days later is dishonest and not very nice.

By the way, I have experienced moderator incompetence much worse years ago.

User avatar
Stix
Member
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]
Location: USA

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Post

This lag is ridiculous! Image
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf
Location: Not there, THERE!

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stix wrote:This lag is ridiculous! Image
The lag is you, not the server. While you were having 30 second delays my ping was instant
Last edited by Lone_Wolf on Fri Nov 23, 2018 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

DELTA_FORCE
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 01:26
IRC: DELTA_FORCE
In-game: DELTA_FORCE
Location: Central US

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

Is it just me or is a majority of minetest users run a Distro of Linux?
EDIT: Don't go to my github account. Lousy Microsoft shut it down.
check me out nowhere because i never do anything

User avatar
LMD
Member
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 08:16
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by LMD » Post

There've been some surveys...
I am using Ubuntu.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

micheal65536
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 20:27

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by micheal65536 » Post

Two suggestions:
  1. Remove the 1.5 K/D restriction from the pro part of the chest. I have a score over 1000 but my K/D is never going to improve when I don't have access to decent weapons. Also, 1.5 is statistically wrong because on a theoretically-evenly-matched server where all the pros have equal weapons and equal skill everyone's K/D will tend towards to 1. Achieving and maintaining a K/D of 1.5 long-term is only really possible if weapons are imbalanced, and since those with a K/D over 1.5 have access to better weapons this only increases the weapon imbalance further in a positive feedback loop. I would suggest somewhere around 0.8 as a suitable K/D requirement, as this indicates that a player is reasonably good and is making an attempt at playing the game properly. To compensate, the score requirement could be increased to 2000.
  2. In addition to immunity after respawning, make players unable to attack after respawning. This would prevent the situation where a would-be capturer gets close to the base and is attacked by a defender, kills the defender, and is attacked by the defender again until their health depletes (only made worse by the fact that the capturer now cannot kill the defender a second time because they are immune).
EDIT: Also the vote to skip the match shouldn't be allowed until the match has started, possibly even until it's been going for a minute or two. People misuse this by voting to skip as soon as they get a map that they do not like, rather than its intended purpose of terminating a match that has reached a stalemate. There seem to be only two or three (very similar) maps that people like, and they complain about the others ("this one's too flat", "this one doesn't have enough ore", etc.) instead of finding interesting ways to work around the challenges that each map presents.

User avatar
Stix
Member
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]
Location: USA

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Post

micheal65536 wrote:Two suggestions:
  1. Remove the 1.5 K/D restriction from the pro part of the chest. I have a score over 1000 but my K/D is never going to improve when I don't have access to decent weapons. Also, 1.5 is statistically wrong because on a theoretically-evenly-matched server where all the pros have equal weapons and equal skill everyone's K/D will tend towards to 1. Achieving and maintaining a K/D of 1.5 long-term is only really possible if weapons are imbalanced, and since those with a K/D over 1.5 have access to better weapons this only increases the weapon imbalance further in a positive feedback loop. I would suggest somewhere around 0.8 as a suitable K/D requirement, as this indicates that a player is reasonably good and is making an attempt at playing the game properly. To compensate, the score requirement could be increased to 2000.
  2. In addition to immunity after respawning, make players unable to attack after respawning. This would prevent the situation where a would-be capturer gets close to the base and is attacked by a defender, kills the defender, and is attacked by the defender again until their health depletes (only made worse by the fact that the capturer now cannot kill the defender a second time because they are immune).
1. There will never be completely even matches with completely even players as some players are more skilled than others, if your generally not bringing in more good swords then you lose then you don't deserve pro-chest access, or in other words, Get-Gud. Another thing is that anyone can have access to good weapons if they work for it by for e.g. looting chests, mining, or killing for them.

2. IMO one of the strengths of minetest-ctf is that you can just join the game and immediately play, and this goes for respawning. Personally i think the issue would be fixed by revoking a players immunity once they acquire a good weapon and put it in their inventory.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

User avatar
Stix
Member
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]
Location: USA

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Post

micheal65536 wrote: EDIT: Also the vote to skip the match shouldn't be allowed until the match has started, possibly even until it's been going for a minute or two. People misuse this by voting to skip as soon as they get a map that they do not like, rather than its intended purpose of terminating a match that has reached a stalemate. There seem to be only two or three (very similar) maps that people like, and they complain about the others ("this one's too flat", "this one doesn't have enough ore", etc.) instead of finding interesting ways to work around the challenges that each map presents.
No! if the majority of players don't like a map and want to skip it for another map, that's okay, after all games are made for players and their opinions count. If a majority of players hate a map and complain about it then it should be removed or changed to better fit what a majority of the player-base find fun.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf
Location: Not there, THERE!

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Lone_Wolf » Post

micheal65536 wrote:my K/D is never going to improve when I don't have access to decent weapons. Also, 1.5 is statistically wrong because on a theoretically-evenly-matched server where all the pros have equal weapons and equal skill everyone's K/D will tend towards to 1. Achieving and maintaining a K/D of 1.5 long-term is only really possible if weapons are imbalanced, and since those with a K/D over 1.5 have access to better weapons this only increases the weapon imbalance further in a positive feedback loop.
If you can't get a weapon from the chest then you mine for one. Don't rely on the other players to supply you with weapons.
It took me 1 - 2 hours of playing to get a K/D of 1.5+. I had reached the needed score by then.
You just need to pick your battles. Try to focus on the weaker players, or surprise the better ones. I've defeated a non-pro player wielding a steel sword with a wooden sword before.
Another thing is to stay out of the way of the enemy's swings. Circle while hitting them so they can't get a hit on you. Don't hold down the attack button on an enemy, rapidclick it.
Once you hit a node you have to reclick to hit entities/players (When holding down the attack button).
And the teams will never be 100% balanced. So you needn't worry about that.
(Note: The team at a disadvantage can still win without too much trouble)

And for the vote skipping: Just /no and ask the vote starter to stop

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests