[Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps!

DragonsVolcanoDance
Member
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 01:07
Location: Wherever the Gold N Chocolate lies
IRC: DragonGirl
In-game: DragonsVolcanoDance

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by DragonsVolcanoDance » Sun Jun 24, 2018 03:31

The new maps are so awesome!
(Though some of them are technically old maps)
 

User avatar
ANAND
Member
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54
Location: India
GitHub: ClobberXD
IRC: ANAND
In-game: ANAND ClobberXD [A-Za-z]+Tomato

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by ANAND » Sun Jun 24, 2018 04:50

The new (old) maps are nice! They both have largely varying terrain, unlike 2H2L :)
 

User avatar
Gael de Sailly
Member
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 17:01
Location: Lyon, France
GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Gael de Sailly » Sun Jun 24, 2018 14:22

Extremely long match today on the new-old map Plains of the Past. Very epic, with over 20 "pro" players (but too long IMO, I was bored at the end!). I was about to start vote to skip, when Sasuke Uchiha won.

Image
+ Bottom of the score list
Contributor of Minetest and OpenStreetMap, on Ubuntu 16.04. ~ ~ ~ Meet me on MinetestForFun, VanessaE's Basic, Capture the Flag and Inside the Box.
 

User avatar
IceAgeComing
Member
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 21:19

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by IceAgeComing » Sun Jun 24, 2018 17:13

Gael de Sailly wrote:Extremely long match today on the new-old map Plains of the Past. Very epic, with over 20 "pro" players (but too long IMO, I was bored at the end!). I was about to start vote to skip, when Sasuke Uchiha won.

Image
+ Bottom of the score list


3 hours? :O
wow, is that a record? I wish i was there.
 

User avatar
Stix
Member
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
Location: USA
IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Sun Jun 24, 2018 18:09

Gael de Sailly wrote:Extremely long match today on the new-old map Plains of the Past. Very epic, with over 20 "pro" players (but too long IMO, I was bored at the end!). I was about to start vote to skip, when Sasuke Uchiha won.

Image
+ Bottom of the score list

Theres a time length stamp on the end of the match score list? When did that get added?
I'll be absent for a week.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php
 

User avatar
Gael de Sailly
Member
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 17:01
Location: Lyon, France
GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Gael de Sailly » Sun Jun 24, 2018 20:48

Stix wrote:Theres a time length stamp on the end of the match score list? When did that get added?

It was more than 2 months ago, when the new match summary design was added. It still needs some tweaking to fix word overlapping on small screens.
Contributor of Minetest and OpenStreetMap, on Ubuntu 16.04. ~ ~ ~ Meet me on MinetestForFun, VanessaE's Basic, Capture the Flag and Inside the Box.
 

User avatar
Stix
Member
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
Location: USA
IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Sun Jun 24, 2018 20:50

Gael de Sailly wrote:
Stix wrote:Theres a time length stamp on the end of the match score list? When did that get added?

It was more than 2 months ago, when the new match summary design was added. It still needs some tweaking to fix word overlapping on small screens.

Hmm, i guess i never noticed as i usually don't pay much attention to the match summary rankings...
I'll be absent for a week.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php
 

OrangeSoda
Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 19:42
In-game: SG

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by OrangeSoda » Mon Jun 25, 2018 00:06

Gael de Sailly wrote:Extremely long match today on the new-old map Plains of the Past. Very epic, with over 20 "pro" players (but too long IMO, I was bored at the end!). I was about to start vote to skip, when Sasuke Uchiha won.

Image
+ Bottom of the score list

Long rounds were very common on that map back in the day, longest one I remember lasted 3 hours and 14 minutes.
 

User avatar
cautiouspotato
Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 06:19
Location: In the shadows
GitHub: afshaan4
IRC: cautiouspotato
In-game: caoutiouspotato

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by cautiouspotato » Mon Jun 25, 2018 05:41

Iv'e noticed the battles in the "plains of nostalgia" and "ice age" maps get quite intense.
Somebody toucha my spaghet | My gitlab: https://gitlab.com/cautiouspotato
 

User avatar
ANAND
Member
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54
Location: India
GitHub: ClobberXD
IRC: ANAND
In-game: ANAND ClobberXD [A-Za-z]+Tomato

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by ANAND » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:37

Plains of the past and Coast of nostalgia, there's no Plains of nostalgia :)
 

User avatar
cautiouspotato
Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 06:19
Location: In the shadows
GitHub: afshaan4
IRC: cautiouspotato
In-game: caoutiouspotato
 

User avatar
PETE
Member
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 05:21
Location: IDK Ctf server
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by PETE » Wed Jun 27, 2018 09:44

I can barely find any chests on Ice Age map
Whats the trick? I wish I knew
 

User avatar
Enrikoo
Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 18:18
Location: Germany
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Enrikoo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:14

PETE wrote:I can barely find any chests on Ice Age map

True, Chests only spawn in the breaking Ice. I hope (or all) this will be changed - Chests can spawn underwater.
 

Waterbug
Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 23:25
Location: Great Lakes Region
IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Waterbug » Fri Jun 29, 2018 00:25

Something seriously needs to be done about team balance. about 1 out of 2 matches is extremely unbalanced with twice the number of pro players on one team as on the other. One match I was on the weak team (only 4 pro players, including me) and the other team had 8 or 9 pro players at the end of the match. The very next match I was completely alone against 6 pro players on the other team; and the match was over in 2 minutes with my team destroyed.
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: You wouldn't believe me
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf or Somebody

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Lone_Wolf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 01:46

Waterbug wrote:Something seriously needs to be done about team balance. about 1 out of 2 matches is extremely unbalanced with twice the number of pro players on one team as on the other. One match I was on the weak team (only 4 pro players, including me) and the other team had 8 or 9 pro players at the end of the match. The very next match I was completely alone against 6 pro players on the other team; and the match was over in 2 minutes with my team destroyed.

You beat me and the other player in that one caverns match lol. Maybe I'm just a false pro...
 

User avatar
Stix
Member
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
Location: USA
IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Fri Jun 29, 2018 14:14

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Waterbug wrote:Something seriously needs to be done about team balance. about 1 out of 2 matches is extremely unbalanced with twice the number of pro players on one team as on the other. One match I was on the weak team (only 4 pro players, including me) and the other team had 8 or 9 pro players at the end of the match. The very next match I was completely alone against 6 pro players on the other team; and the match was over in 2 minutes with my team destroyed.

You beat me and the other player in that one caverns match lol. Maybe I'm just a false pro...

It just means your a "lesser" pro, and in the caverns map, where there's many ways to escape, one real pro can succesfully beat 3-4 lesser pros, ive done it quite a few times myself, and i imagine so has Waterbug.
I'll be absent for a week.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: You wouldn't believe me
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf or Somebody

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Lone_Wolf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 19:22

Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:
Waterbug wrote:Something seriously needs to be done about team balance. about 1 out of 2 matches is extremely unbalanced with twice the number of pro players on one team as on the other. One match I was on the weak team (only 4 pro players, including me) and the other team had 8 or 9 pro players at the end of the match. The very next match I was completely alone against 6 pro players on the other team; and the match was over in 2 minutes with my team destroyed.

You beat me and the other player in that one caverns match lol. Maybe I'm just a false pro...

It just means your a "lesser" pro, and in the caverns map, where there's many ways to escape, one real pro can succesfully beat 3-4 lesser pros, ive done it quite a few times myself, and i imagine so has Waterbug.

ah, that's the word.
And I see what you mean. I was once trapped in a pit with two enemies. They had some good swords. But somehow I managed to kill both of them without being hurt much. It was a 4x1 node area. Maybe they were hitting each other...
 

User avatar
Stix
Member
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
Location: USA
IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Fri Jun 29, 2018 19:36

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:You beat me and the other player in that one caverns match lol. Maybe I'm just a false pro...

It just means your a "lesser" pro, and in the caverns map, where there's many ways to escape, one real pro can succesfully beat 3-4 lesser pros, ive done it quite a few times myself, and i imagine so has Waterbug.

ah, that's the word.
And I see what you mean. I was once trapped in a pit with two enemies. They had some good swords. But somehow I managed to kill both of them without being hurt much. It was a 4x1 node area. Maybe they were hitting each other...

Yeah, in situations like that teammates just get in each-others way, allowing a smaller force to kill them. That's why i usually prefer to work alone.
I'll be absent for a week.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: You wouldn't believe me
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf or Somebody

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Lone_Wolf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 20:43

Stix wrote:Yeah, in situations like that teammates just get in each-others way, allowing a smaller force to kill them. That's why i usually prefer to work alone.

eh, I had fun teaming up with geesh against a noob army. We held the border quite well. One of the things I love about CTF is the teamwork. Gives me a good feeling
 

User avatar
Stix
Member
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
Location: USA
IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Proposition to improve teams.

by Stix » Mon Jul 02, 2018 18:36

Proposition to improve teams.

My idea to improve team-picking is to divide players based on rankings. Now before you reply hear me out: i'm not referring to the default ranking system (which is really just a score-board), but rather a new one that resembles badges (ranks could be like "newbie", "pro", "veteran", "overlord" ect).

How this would work is killing gives you EXP, more-specifically killing a player below your rank gives you 1 EXP, killing a player at your rank gives you 2 EXP, and killing someone directly above your rank gives 4 EXP, with 1 EXP added on top for each rank above that. Too level up a rank players need to gain a set amount EXP, alongside having a positive K/D ratio. The total EXP gained in a match is decreased by 10% if your team lost. When in-game, ranking tags will be used for players to easily identify a players skill lvl from a distance.

Another idea to go on top is that the server checks if the matches are fair every 1 minute and if they're not, swaps a player to a different team accordingly with a msg: "Player XYZ has swapped teams!".

Pros:
1. Players skill-level can be determined from a distance.
2. Matches will be much more fair.
3. Suicidal players are locked out from ranking up.
4. Adds more of an incentive to win.
5. Adds more of an incentive to fighting (non-contributing players will be left in the dust).

Cons and ways to combat them:
1. Skilled players joining for the first time can put off match balance as the server sees them as a noob.
Solutions:
a. Players frequently killing others above their skill lvl will get 4x EXP until they reach the highest rank they can
reliably kill the players of, therefore lvl'ing up faster.
b. Adding an incentive to have a higher rank besides bragging rights, maybe some kind of reward.

2. (Can't think of any more cons atm, share ones you find!)

@All anyways id like to see what you guys think of this (especially @Rubenwardy and @ANAND).
I'll be absent for a week.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php
 

Chem871
Member
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 21:49
Location: Ankh-Morpork, Sometimes the Nether
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx
 

User avatar
Stix
Member
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
Location: USA
IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Stix » Tue Jul 03, 2018 14:40

Chem871 wrote:That would mean a noob at 8000th place killing Anand would get 8000 points.

No, no it wouldn't. If you read my proposition you know that the idea calls for a replacement on how rankings work, please re-read.
I'll be absent for a week.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php
 

User avatar
Stix
Member
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:19
Location: USA
IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Short Proposition on how to eliminate flag-tunneling.

by Stix » Wed Jul 04, 2018 15:26

Short Proposition on how to eliminate flag-tunneling.

Anyone who's played on CTF for a reasonable amount of time knows that tunneling to grab the flag is a big issue and looked down upon, so i propose a way to eliminate it.

My idea is simple: to eliminate flag-tunneling we must remove players ability to tunnel. How do we do that? All it would take would be to make stone generated in the map indestructible in a 20-block radius around the flag for non-members. That way players tunnel would have to stop at a distance from the flag, and they then have to actually risk themselves to achieve their goal.

@All id love to hear what you think of this, don't forget to write a reply!
I'll be absent for a week.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy
 

Chem871
Member
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 21:49
Location: Ankh-Morpork, Sometimes the Nether
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Chem871 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 16:17

What about building straight up once you have the flag? It's worse than tunneling to me, because tunneling at least doesn't take a long time.
 

PreviousNext

Return to Servers



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests