Multiple servers/worlds with different config directories

zzantozz

Multiple servers/worlds with different config directories

by zzantozz » Post

I'm running a server for my kids at home, and I'd like to start a second world for them to explore. I poked around the forums some, and the best way seems to be to run a second server on another port. I'm okay with that. In setting up a new server, I'm wanting to install newer versions of some mods that I'm using in the old world, and I don't want to risk breaking that world as I experiment with the new one. The problem is that both servers use the same .minetest dir for all their data because I'm running them as the same user. Is there a way to change them to use different directories, or do I need to create different users for them?

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

Re: Multiple servers/worlds with different config directorie

by Ferk » Post

Inside the directory of the world you can create a "worldmods" subdirectory and add any mods that you want to only exist in that world.

I haven't tested if it'll work for overriding mods with the same name so that you can have a different version of them, but it's worth a try.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

zzantozz

Re: Multiple servers/worlds with different config directorie

by zzantozz » Post

Ferk wrote:Inside the directory of the world you can create a "worldmods" subdirectory and add any mods that you want to only exist in that world.

I haven't tested if it'll work for overriding mods with the same name so that you can have a different version of them, but it's worth a try.
Ah, sweet! Thanks for the tip. For now I'm fine with isolating each world's mods to its worlds directory and having none at the top level.