[Server] Survival X

SaKeL
GitHub: JurajVajda
IRC: SaKeL
In-game: SaKeL

Re: [Server] Survival X

by SaKeL » Post

UPDATE:
You can farm Obsidian Wart now... find the seeds in red mushrooms.

Have fun!
Attachments
Minetest - Survival X - Farming Obsidian Wart.jpg
Minetest - Survival X - Farming Obsidian Wart.jpg (424.46 KiB) Viewed 567 times

Sheriff

by Sheriff » Post

SaKeL, thank you so much for this server and all of your great work on it.

So, during Survival X's sabbatical, I tried Legends of Survival. While there, I formed some opinions about the differences between that server and Survival X. I would like to share some of those opinions, in case they're of any value to you or anyone else contemplating hosting a server:

Death and inventory:

At Legends, you can't lose anything when you die. While I thought, at first, that this might be a good thing, after a while, I came to miss the fact that there was something to lose from dieing. It completely changes the dynamics of interpersonal interaction. Sure, you can build up wealth faster, but no criminal or vigilante factions form. Survival X is more realistic. I actually think that it might improve Survival X to remove the no-killing-in-the-city rule. I've seen the criminal element abusing it to rob and to escape justice. Without it, though the robbers would be more free to rob, the vigilantes and the innocent would be more free to get their stuff back from the robbers.

More later.

rnd
GitHub: ac-minetest
IRC: ac_minetest
In-game: rnd

by rnd » Post

but no criminal or vigilante factions form.
https://github.com/ac-minetest/thief
1EvCmxbzl5KDu6XAunE1K853Lq6VVOsT

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

/me wonders where rnd might have found the inspiration for his thief mod since she remembers last year chatting with rnd at length about how much she missed playing the Thief series of computer games.

;D

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

@Sheriff thanks for the feedback i really appreciate it !
...so thief huh ? :) shall i try give it..
Hi sorcery :)

Sheriff

by Sheriff » Post

My favourite thing to see is players who have built up their wealth and experience though honest, hard work coming to the aide of less experienced players who are being preyed upon by those who have built up their wealth through murder, robbery, theft, deception, selfishness, etc.

Sheriff

by Sheriff » Post

Another comparison/contrast with Legends of Survival:

TravelNet boxes in Legends: This mod is awesome! It almost single-handedly makes me want to spend more time in Legends than in X. I waste waaay too much time running from place to place in X and have tried to set up a mover block to use as a transporter, but it's interface is so kludgy, and it's so expensive, that I never did get it working to a useful distance. With the TravelNet boxes in Legends, I can carry one with me, go as deep into the earth as I want to, set it up in the mine when I'm tired of mining, and be instantly back home. Any time I want to go mining again, I can just get in my home box and be instantly back in my super-deep mine that gets deeper every time I mine in it. Same goes for exploring out in the wilderness. I never have to lose my wilderness exploring location (or wilderness home, if I want to build one way out there), no matter how far away it is.

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

TIP: if you set your home via /sethome and set your home via the unified inventory buttons... you have set home on 2 locations. One location you can call with /home and another location you can call via unified inventory... i use it all the time for fast travel :)

Things i don't like about items/nodes for teleportation:
- they are cluttering the map a lot
- they are protected a people cannot build through the clutter
- exploring will become obsolete - teleportation will be new form of travel

Things i do like about items/nodes for teleportation:
- fast and non challenging traveling
- having multiple (as many as you want) teleport location
- anybody can access them

Alternatives on X:
- maintained and growing network of rails
- basic machines teleport/lift - basic teleportation (lift) works without upgrades up to 999 blocks
- TIP above

I still have to find and i was looking a lot, for the teleportation 'mod' i would consider as low resources (for server), maintainable, expandable and still challenging to get and maybe pay for travel/teleportation. This is still on my list :)
Last edited by SaKeL on Tue Dec 19, 2017 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Sheriff

by Sheriff » Post

I've used /sethome and /home quite a bit, and still use it, even in Legends, as a quick, temporary, return point. Hadn't heard about the unified-inventory buttons though. I'll look into that.

However, I'm sure it still won't approach the convenience of having an unlimited number of NAMED transport destinations, especially when you have a lot of people on a team/group that you want to share your destinations with.

Another thing that we love in Legends is the horses. :)

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

i am working on alternative to horses too :) but have problem with character scaling when attached to the entity :( ..i know... a lot to do on the list :D

Sheriff

by Sheriff » Post

Actually, I had a transporter stolen in Legends once, because I forgot to protect it. If you don't protect them, they're like anything else and can be taken and repurposed. If, however, they're protected with protection blocks, you can even surround them with a makeshift wall, ceiling, and door, so that they're private-use only (or team-use only).

Oo, I'm excited to hear that you're working on a horse alternative! If you need any help, let me know. I've done quite a bit of lua programming myself. I wonder if the horse mod in Legends is freely available.

Sheriff

by Sheriff » Post

Here's a link to the TravelNet mod's forum: viewtopic.php?t=4877#p72086

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

do you have Skype? :)

RWЯ
GitHub: DreamCrusher
IRC: DabbetulArz
In-game: Hood

by RWЯ » Post

I just love idea about boss spawning in MMO arena every hour.
Spawn look nice, so far. But plots where players build they`re houses are just random. Expect Minecraft houses.
I also want to know if this land is still free? I plan to build castle there. As i just came back on playing Minetest.

Offtopic: Do you know your from somewhere?
I mean your building style is familiar to me.
Attachments
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_3.png (777.85 KiB) Viewed 567 times
If I feel it then I do it (I don’t need a reason why)

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

I am trying to cleanup random houses, raided land/houses and abandoned ruins around the spawn as well as all the rail roads - people think its funny to throw sand on the rails using lag. The land is free as long there are not protections blocks from someone else, even though when there are some just use command /last-login playerName and if the player wasn't logged in for about a year i can remove the protection block for you. In the future there will be more spawns...another new spawns would be on each World's side (N, W, E, S) and distant from the current one maybe about 5000 blocks.. so new players can have untouched land to build and gather resources :)

RWЯ

by RWЯ » Post

SaKeL wrote:I am trying to cleanup random houses, raided land/houses and abandoned ruins around the spawn as well as all the rail roads - people think its funny to throw sand on the rails using lag. The land is free as long there are not protections blocks from someone else, even though when there are some just use command /last-login playerName and if the player wasn't logged in for about a year i can remove the protection block for you. In the future there will be more spawns...another new spawns would be on each World's side (N, W, E, S) and distant from the current one maybe about 5000 blocks.. so new players can have untouched land to build and gather resources :)
That sounds nice.
I'm very talented builder. If you ever need help in building anything pm me. Or if its possible I would like to build one spawn on one side of world

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

@RWЯ sounds good, if you can build it using only default minetest game blocks, save it using WE, make screenshots and if it's going to be beautiful (what i'm sure it will be), i would be more than happy to use it! The size would be the best about the same size of the current spawn but i leave that up to you.

RWЯ

by RWЯ » Post

SaKeL wrote:@RWЯ sounds good, if you can build it using only default minetest game blocks, save it using WE, make screenshots and if it's going to be beautiful (what i'm sure it will be), i would be more than happy to use it! The size would be the best about the same size of the current spawn but i leave that up to you.
Needed materials are wool, dark oak wood, and stone.

RWЯ

by RWЯ » Post

Here
Attachments
Screenshot_20171220-164528.png
Screenshot_20171220-164528.png (363.34 KiB) Viewed 567 times

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

RWЯ wrote:Here
wow...love it !

RWЯ

by RWЯ » Post

SaKeL wrote:
wow...love it !

I would like to speak with you in-game about building spawn.
Also for what is this mob head?
Attachments
Screenshot_20171220-183358.png
Screenshot_20171220-183358.png (156.37 KiB) Viewed 567 times

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

you can place it as a mob, or you can use it for crafting spawner

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

build the spawn in singleplayer/creative once you are done save it WE and i add it to the game...if you need help with WE just let me know...but 1st build it :)

RWЯ

by RWЯ » Post

SaKeL wrote:build the spawn in singleplayer/creative once you are done save it WE and i add it to the game...if you need help with WE just let me know...but 1st build it :)

I can't save world. Because i'am playing on android.

bosapara

by bosapara » Post

its really awesome