[Down]Become a Pro! [Noob Academy]

Do you think this server is good for newbies?

Yes
35%
Yes, but it could be better (Please tell me how)
20%
No
15%
I'm not sure
30%

Total votes: 20

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: Noob Academy

by BBmine » Post

Vlad_plays_minetest wrote:This place seems more interesting than the server for homies XD
I know, but like I said, Worldblender needs to fix his computer before I can get this up and running again :P

Vlad_plays_minetest
In-game: Vlad Lone_Scowt

by Vlad_plays_minetest » Post

BBmine wrote:
Vlad_plays_minetest wrote:This place seems more interesting than the server for homies XD
I know, but like I said, Worldblender needs to fix his computer before I can get this up and running again :P

Yeah sorry I didn't see all the chat cuz there was too much to read
So rusty...I haven't played this in years

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

SERVER IS NOW UP!!

Worldblender has done something to fix it. Details coming soon :D

helpless
In-game: helpless

by helpless » Post

Can't log on. server down?

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

helpless wrote:Can't log on. server down?
What do you mean?

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

/me drinks his coffee and wonders why helpless can't join.

.~~~~.
|cccc|_
|cccc|_)
|cccc|
'-===-'

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

The port has changed to 30001! Try now helpless!

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I don't think this server is good for newbies. I helping newbies is the true purpose of this server, I don't believe it is doing a great job.

My first impression is that it is way too much information overload. There is too much stuff going on on the screen and on the spawn point. There is a tutor message AND way too many signs and the player is probably not aware on what to focus first, so a lot of information is probably getting lost.
I'm not a newbie (obviously) but I have the impression that an actual newbie could get easily lost in here.

The player is bombarded with information right from the start. Frankly, the Tutor mod is not very good yet because the messages are disappearing too quickly and I think it is impossible to make them appear a 2nd time. Very bad. I find it also pretty distracting because at the beginning it shows way too many messages in succession (it wants me to craft all the wooden tools).

Although I very much approve of the idea behind Tutor, but it is not in a very usable state yet.
The chat2 mod must be removed, it just makes the chat more confusing by duplicating the chat. By the way, colored chat is now a CORE feature, we just need a mod which actually utilizes it.

This server also includes WAY too many gameplay mods. The server should be EASY and not drop the player into a melting pot of CRAZY. xD
I don't even know how many mods your server uses, but `/mods` outputs FIVE CHAT LINES on my screen. And you included Homedecor. So much NOPE for Homedecor, sorry. Nothing against the mod, but the complexity goes way out of the roof with that one.

Missing features:
- Server does not display in the HUD if the area is protected and by whom. An absolute MUST especially for a beginner server
- No crafting guide. I suggest [craftguide] by jp (aka kilbith). Or switch to Unified Inventory which also has a very good crafting guide.

The selection of mods must be significantly thinned out. There are many mods where not even I know what they are good for. xD
Maybe start with Minetest Game without mods and only add the mods which are really needed. One or two example mods are fine (maybe to show what mods are capable of), but not so many. I would remove the armor mod, it makes the inventory screen look like shit
Help-related mods like doc or tutor are obviously OK and even required, but not more esoterical mods like growing mese crystals. I would be careful in choosing new mods.
Protector mods are definitely OK, too, they are almost standard on all servers.
However, the concept of protection is (I think) not explained at all, but this is very important for server gameplay.

But if you absolutely have to add so many of mods, at least put their content FAR away from spawn and keep the spawn point as vanilla (and simple) as possible, slowly going to the more and more advanced stuff as you move away from spawn.

You may also want to draw inspiration from my Tutorial subgame / world: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10192

I see you included the Help modpack, but you included it completely wrong. There is no obvious way for the player to access it, nor is the player even aware that it exists. This makes a very useful mod very useless. xD
Possible fixes:
- Add the Lookup Tool into the starter inventory
- Add a button in the inventory menu which opens the help (Easy: Just call doc.show_doc(playername))

Possible problems:
- Many items (especially from obscure mods) don't have help texts, so their help entries are empty. This can be solved by convincing the mod authors to add support for the Help modpack (e.g. by writing help texts for their items). The more mods support the Help modpack, the better the help becomes! :-)
- The lookup tool may not work everywhere. Again, solved as soon as the modders add proper Help support

Remember, if you include the Help modpack in your subgame, you should also always keep in mind that the player must be able to access it. Because all subgames are different in their GUI, the modpack made no attempt to add it in the GUI so it relies on subgames.

Other things:
- The day/night cycle should be disabled and set to day permanently (/set time_speed 0)

Bugs:
- Textures of the mailer are missing.
- The example mine is useless because it is protected by ADMIN! xD
- Vending machines look like item frames. VERY confusing!
- One of the spawn signs says that trees and dry grass are straight ahead. I see tress, but no dry grass

Suggestions summary
- Rework the inventory menu, it is very ugly
- Remove armor (it also makes inventory menu confusing)
- Rework the spawn point, it has information overload and is pretty incoherent. It is not clear where to begin
- Give lookup tool for free
- Add button in inventory to teleport player back to start
- Rework the Tutor mod or request a modder to improve the Tutor mod (that would be thest bets for everyone)
- SIGNIFICANTLY thin out the number of mods to keep it simple
- Remove chat2
- Less agressive protection near spawn
- Disable night (/set time_speed 0)
- Make the tutorial mine more obvious
- Remember, chat commands do not exist for newbies!

Apart from all that, I think the server *as such* is acceptable, maybe for creative building or stuff like that. Just not for newbies.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Thanks for your input Wuzzy.

I am currently reworking the inventory, so that's why help is useless.
I think I will remove armor, and also remove PvP capabillities, or at least limit it.
I'm constantly working on spawn. Should I make spawn 200x200 blocks?
I actually don't know what lookup tool is. I think I put it in here because it looked like it might be helpful. I think lookup should be one of the default items for new visitors.
I used unified inventory until I noticed that I couldn't access the skins for some reason.
I think it has a craft guide, but I'm trying to use sfinv for the inventory buttons, so there is no craft guide for now.
Well, the tutor I have is from March of 2016, so it's a year old. There might be a better one.
I did have maikerumine's extreme survival mod, but I decided that's too hard/overkill.
ADMIN's example mine should be protected. It's just an example :)
I'll ask 843jdc about the colored chat. He uses it on his server, and I think he might could help. Oh wait! Not 843jdc, GoldFireUn! :P Sorry Gold and 843!
What do you mean by "Less agressive protection near spawn"?
Why disable night?
Making the tutorial mine more obvious will be part of the spawn rework.
Which chat commands are you referring to about n00bs?

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Which chat commands are you referring to about n00bs?
Ugh, forget it. Not important. I just wanted to say the the server should be playable without any chat commands. ;-) But it pretty much is, so forget my comment.
What do you mean by "Less agressive protection near spawn"?
Maybe too much stuff (like the mine) is protected. The example mine could be confusing because mining doesn't work there, while the real mine is somewhere else.
I actually don't know what lookup tool is
It is the item from the mod doc_identifier found in the Help modpack. Punch anything to open a help entry about it. Easy. :-)
Why disable night?
Because the darkness makes it hard to see sometimes.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

I got rid of several mods on this server. Some mods will have to wait until I can come up with aliases for the items.
I've heard smartshop is buggy, but vendors has its own problems.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Hey all. I would like for anybody with a mobile device to try out this server. Please let me know if it works or not. And remember, you don't need to be a noob to play here :D

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

I took advantage of this most recent restart and changed the protector radius from 3 to 5 :)

Don't worry, I don't think it'll be too bad with the current builds. If you have any overlap of protections with other players now, just let me know and I'll move over your (or the other player's) building a few blocks.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

I need some help from some people. I tried to install mg_villages back, but it crashed the server.

I have removed "fast" from the default privs. How can I get a better sprint that doesn't use up hunger/stamina?

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

BBmine wrote: I need some help from some people. I tried to install mg_villages back, but it crashed the server.
That's rather unspecific. Did you get any error messages? Did you use mg_villages and handle_schematics in the newest version? I fixed some bugs recently.
A list of my mods can be found here.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Sokomine wrote:
BBmine wrote: I need some help from some people. I tried to install mg_villages back, but it crashed the server.
That's rather unspecific. Did you get any error messages? Did you use mg_villages and handle_schematics in the newest version? I fixed some bugs recently.
So I have to use mg_villages with handle_schematics?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

BBmine wrote: So I have to use mg_villages with handle_schematics?
Yes. mg_villages depends on handle_schematics - which is mostly a library but also contains a build_chest for admins.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

I installed handle_schematics, but I still get errors.

Code: Select all

2017-05-01 13:07:39: WARNING[Main]: NodeDefManager: Ignoring CONTENT_IGNORE redefinition
2017-05-01 13:07:39: WARNING[Main]: get_mapgen_params is deprecated; use get_mapgen_setting instead
2017-05-01 13:07:39: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/bbmine/.minetest/games/noob_academy/mods/mg_villages/init.lua:
2017-05-01 13:07:39: ERROR[Main]: ...netest/games/noob_academy/mods/mg_villages/buildings.lua:264: attempt to concatenate a nil value
2017-05-01 13:07:39: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-05-01 13:07:39: ERROR[Main]: 	...netest/games/noob_academy/mods/mg_villages/buildings.lua:264: in function <...netest/games/noob_academy/mods/mg_villages/buildings.lua:262>
2017-05-01 13:07:39: ERROR[Main]: 	...netest/games/noob_academy/mods/mg_villages/buildings.lua:336: in main chunk
2017-05-01 13:07:39: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2017-05-01 13:07:39: ERROR[Main]: 	...st/games/noob_academy/mods/mg_villages/villages_init.lua:21: in main chunk
2017-05-01 13:07:39: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2017-05-01 13:07:39: ERROR[Main]: 	...e/.minetest/games/noob_academy/mods/mg_villages/init.lua:3: in main chunk
These errors are so bad that it won't even let the server start. BTW, I have the 0.4.15 release on that server. IDK if mg_villages depends on a newer version...

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

BBmine wrote: These errors are so bad that it won't even let the server start. BTW, I have the 0.4.15 release on that server. IDK if mg_villages depends on a newer version...
It seems that you're using a very very outdated version of mg_villages in your game on https://github.com/BBmine/noob_academy. Latest versions of my mods can be found on https://github.com/Sokomine/. Please update! That will eliminiate the bug. As to which MT version is required to run it - it's hard to tell as I usually work with latest dev. I see no reason why there ought to be problems with a version as recent as 0.4.15. It would also be helpful for future bug reports if you could first update to the most current version in general - and if the bug still exists, please post a bug report (like you did here) either in the forum thread or open an issue on github. That way, modders can spend time working on their mods instead of beeing puzzled about bugs beeing fixed long ago.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Sokomine wrote:
BBmine wrote: These errors are so bad that it won't even let the server start. BTW, I have the 0.4.15 release on that server. IDK if mg_villages depends on a newer version...
It seems that you're using a very very outdated version of mg_villages in your game on https://github.com/BBmine/noob_academy. Latest versions of my mods can be found on https://github.com/Sokomine/. Please update! That will eliminiate the bug. As to which MT version is required to run it - it's hard to tell as I usually work with latest dev. I see no reason why there ought to be problems with a version as recent as 0.4.15. It would also be helpful for future bug reports if you could first update to the most current version in general - and if the bug still exists, please post a bug report (like you did here) either in the forum thread or open an issue on github. That way, modders can spend time working on their mods instead of beeing puzzled about bugs beeing fixed long ago.
Huh. I did the link provided in your mg_villages topic. It took me to github.com/Sokomine/mg. I'll try this other one :)

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Sokomine, it works! :D

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

BBmine wrote: Huh. I did the link provided in your mg_villages topic. It took me to github.com/Sokomine/mg. I'll try this other one :)
Ah. Then you ended up at the mod from which the placement of houses and roads comes from: Nores mg mapgen. I do have a fork of that as well. mg_villages integrates into any mapgen and has more village types. The original houses and villages from nores mg mapgen can still be found in the form of villages of the type "nore".

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

For those of you wondering what happened to the server, it's down for a hardware replacement on the pc :)

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Server is up now!

Cpt_mcg
GitHub: CptMcg
IRC: mcg
In-game: mcg Captain_FluffCat