[Server] Just Test Tribute

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
51%
NO
49%

Total votes: 178

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute (Now on Twitch!)

by sorcerykid » Post

The Easter Egg Hunt has officially begun!

Nemo has placed random Easter eggs around spawntown, and it's your job to find them all!

There are 80 eggs in total, with 10 of each color dye: red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow, orange, and pink. The top four players to find the most eggs by Saturday, April 30 will win a prize!

Keep in mind, eggs may be hidden anywhere -- even inside houses. However, they are all above ground and directly accessible to players (i.e. they aren't behind any locked doors or inside any sealed rooms).

You can always check the leaderboard by using the /eggs chat command. This gives a running tally of how many eggs are still remaining in addition to the current top four players.

Note: The Spawntown District is bordered by Crystal Lake on the west, the canal on the north and south, and Canal Street on the east. So you don't need to venture very far from spawn in your search.

Happy Easter everyone, and good luck :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Today starts Easter Bunny Mania!

I hope y'all are ready, because the cute little Easter Bunnies are taking over the server. Now's your chance to grab up as many chocolate eggs as you can until this Friday, April 22. Let's get HYPE!

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Heh. The easter egg hunt was fun. Good idea. :-)
By the way, I heard the Easter Bunny also has hidden a few golden eggs somewhere in Spawntown. I wonder where …

I like the updated server stats. Unsurprisingly, cobblestone is still the most common item. But I was surprised to see how much gravel there is around.

ggjones
In-game: ggjones47123 or ggjones

by ggjones » Post

Gotta start collecting because these Easter exclusive items will be rare in the future.

Wuzzy

All Glory To The Giant Chocolate Egg!

by Wuzzy » Post

All Glory To The Giant Chocolate Egg!

(And blessed be the Holy Easter Bunny! ^_^)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I spent the past week working on improvements to the daily cronjobs that are responsible not only for backing up the world directory, but also rendering the map and publishing the session summary and chat history. Here are some of the key changes that are most noticeable on the user-facing side of things:
  • The daily session summary and the daily chat history are now using equivalent time and date calculations, so both reports will be properly synchronized. Previously, the chat history had relied on a rudimentary timestamp comparison, with no conversion to UTC, so the results were always 4 hours off from the session summaries.
  • The player ranks are now automatically regenerated every night, so they will be listed correctly in the daily session summary and the daily chat history. Originally, this was a manual job, so that is why the player ranks were frequently out-of-date.
  • Due to the size of the map database, MinetestMapper has been taking an excessive amount of time to output the daily map renderings. So I developed a command line database tool to extract only the region of the map that is to be rendered. This has reduced the overall processing time from 4+ hours to a mere 10 minutes.
  • The node color map has finally been regenerated as well, so now the daily map renderings will account for newly added nodes. The last update was in 2017, and my original script proved to be way too buggy and unreliable. However, I completely rewrote that script, so it can be used whenever new nodes are added to the game.
There were several changes to the daily backup procedures as well, including filesystem reorganization so that daily and weekly backups are in a more secure location, the introduction of semaphores to prevent server startup until the backup process has completed, and some basic checks and balances to verify the integrity of world directory prior to commencing a backup.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Winners of the 2022 Easter Egg Hunt!

On Easter weekend, Nemo placed 80 colored eggs around Spawntown. The majority were found in just a matter of hours, as players were very quick to seek them out. The top 4 players to find the most hidden eggs were Mister_CJ, talamh, Wuzzy, and ----.

Congratulations! Each of you will receive a trophy to recognize your egg-straordinary hunting skills!

Here's a map of Spawntown, depicting all of the hidden egg locations, and their respective colors.

PS. Just a friendly reminder that Easter eggs are always unprotected. If you want to display them, it is safest to use an item portrait, pedestal, or showcase. Avoid placing Easter eggs as a node, otherwise they may be stolen!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Just a quick heads up: Flower spreading is working again. This also includes mushrooms, which had previously been growing out of control. So no more mushroom invasion at spawn :P

Remember, the only plants that can spread naturally are flowers and mushrooms. All others must be obtained either from mob drops or by harvesting (in the case of crops or trees).

DragonsVolcanoDance
IRC: DragonGirl
In-game: DragonsVolcanoDance

by DragonsVolcanoDance » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2016 15:46
Welcome to JT2, aka Just Test Tribute, anarchy survival in an all-stone world.
sorcerykid wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2016 15:46
Rules: No griefing, doxxing, trolling, dating, cheating, hacking or cursing.
Might be appropriate to change the "anarchy" claim in the title to something else, because I see rules... :P

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hey everyone, I fixed a critical bug with bookshelves that crashed the server when attempting to read a book with empty metadata. I'm not sure how the contents of some written books got lost, but it doesn't appear to have affected more than a handful. Nonetheless, sanity checks are now in place as a precaution.

On a sidenote, the book transfer utility that I've long promised is nearing completion. This anomaly compelled me to finish work on the script for extracting all stored books and papers from the database of the @test@ server. So, it's just a matter of developing an in-game GUI for retrieving those items.

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

lol, that happened to me once but I wasn't sure enough to report the problem. I found an empty written book while scavenging with rotten eggs and when I tried to put it on a bookshelf the server crashed.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

The JT2 homepage now features a dynamic map with realtime server statistics, weather conditions, and player information panels.

Not only that, but by hovering over a player's nametag, their location will be highlighted on the map (as long as they are within the map boundaries, of course). Be sure to check it out!

As a bonus, I've also implemented zoom functionality. Since players tend to be clustered around spawn, you can click Zoom In to get a closer view. Both scrolling and zooming will be possible eventually, so stay tuned!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Quick heads up everyone:

On June 1, I'll be removing the Secret Santa stations in Tring Square. They've been up now for 5 months, and the Christmas season is long past. It's time for a redesign.

So be sure to pick up your deliveries and take your stocking down before next Wednesday.

ggjones
In-game: ggjones47123 or ggjones

by ggjones » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 01:28
Quick heads up everyone:

On June 1, I'll be removing the Secret Santa stations in Tring Square. They've been up now for 5 months, and the Christmas season is long past. It's time for a redesign.

So be sure to pick up your deliveries and take your stocking down before next Wednesday.
Are you sure I thought it was still the Christmas season.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I'd like to give a warm welcome to our newest moderator, Liukiller!

Since joining the server in 2017, Liukiller has helped to build a thriving community on JT2 for our Spanish-speaking players, and no doubt will be an invaluable addition to our server staff :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Don't forget to add Liukiller to the jt2.intraversal.net webpage.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

My apologies about the downtime last week. I was updating the engine, and testing took much longer than planned.

I completely rewrote Minetest's built-in "line_of_sight" algorithm, so mob's are now much less suspectible to running into obstacles. However, the motivation for this revision was because flower spreading needs to use this API. That was when I noticed how buggy the original implementation was (hence why flower spreading was broken).

In the process, I took the opportunity to correct how the Mobs Lite engine computes positions during line-of-sight checks: rather than from the mob's actual position, it's now from the bottom of the mob's collision box. Like rats, for example are rendered one node below their actual position due to the model not being vertically centered. So they would always be running into low walls, as the node above was clear. That is finally resolved.

In addition, I cleaned up (and cleared out) a bunch of code from the animal and monster definition files, moving all common routines into a library. I also streamlined how watch-groups are handled, which was rather clunky overall.

So basically Mobs Lite just got a major spring cleaning, which was long overdue!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Have the bugs of Minetest's line-of-sight implementation been reported?

Master_CJ
In-game: Master_CJ

by Master_CJ » Post

Luikiller!!!! Welcome to the team :D I'll be online Saturday if it's up, miss you all.
Nemo we have got to catch up!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hey everyone, I fixed a critical bug that allowed TNT to be placed above ground. This was due to a less than ideal implementation of the Stairs mod. I've since moved the problematic code out, and updated the Antigrief mod to mitigate this type of exploit.

The builtin API for node placement has also been improved, so you are still able to build onto stairs and slabs directly. However, for the time being both TNT, water buckets, and lava buckets cannot be placed into item frames (at least those above -500).

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Master_CJ wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 03:50
Luikiller!!!! Welcome to the team :D I'll be online Saturday if it's up, miss you all.
Nemo we have got to catch up!
Welcome back Master_CJ!

I stopped by on Saturday, but it seems I missed you. We do have to catch up for sure! Hope all is well :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

As some of you may have noticed there is now a LIVE chat feed on the JT2 homepage. So if you can't join the server for whatever reason (maybe you're on a public Wi-Fi network), you can still keep up with all the happenings in chat.

Eventually this will be expanded so that registered players can also send chat messages from the homepage. This will be accomplished by the use of authentication tokens, rather than divulging your Minetest password. Stay tuned!

why
GitHub: yansanmo
IRC: progysm
In-game: why

by why » Post

And another older bones found

Crafter09's old bones (died 10/7/2016), bone xp 0.1

Warning, near lava!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hello everyone!

Please give a warm welcome to our friendly chatterbot, Liza. She has a lot to say and would love to talk to you!

Liza was introduced to the JT2 server earlier this month. What began as a fork of rnd's port of "Eliza" to Minetest, ended up taking on a life of itself of its own, albeit stilll drawing inspiration from the the original Eliza chatterbot:

According to Wikipedia: "ELIZA is an early natural language processing computer program created from 1964 to 1966 at the MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory by Joseph Weizenbaum. Created to demonstrate the superficiality of communication between humans and machines, Eliza simulated conversation by using a "pattern matching" and substitution methodology that gave users an illusion of understanding on the part of the program, but had no built in framework for contextualizing events."

In order to make Liza less of a bot and more human-like than its predecessors, I allowed for varying interpretations of certain keywords, depending on the context. This way responses are less predictable, and even prone to occasional errors and oversights. The project is still a WIP, but the next phase will entail a custom pattern matching query language, tailored specifically for natural language processing by Liza.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Public Sandbox Mall

As some of you may have noticed, there is now a public sandbox mall in Tring Square at spawn. Players are welcome to trade their wares in the designated vending and depositing areas shown in the map below:

There are a few simple rules for participating in the Public Sandbox Mall:
  • Each player may place up to three vending and/or depositing machines in the designated areas.
  • Vending and depositing machines must sit atop a locked chest. Protected chests are not allowed.
  • All chests and machines should be oriented toward the center of the vending or depositing area.
  • An optional sign may be placed in front of the locked chest with a description of the item, cost, etc.
  • An optional item showcase or item portrait may be placed above the vending or depositing machine.
Remember to keep your machines filled, otherwise you risk losing sales. If you have any questions, feel to ask Nemo for help!

Vending Area (North Side)

Place a vending machine on top of a locked chest in any of the open spaces where there is a bronze block on the ground.

Depositing Area (South Side)

Place a depositing machine on top of a locked chest in any of the open spaces where there is a bronze block on the ground.