[Server] Just Test Tribute

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
51%
NO
49%

Total votes: 178

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by Fixer » Post

Time to move my farm :D

digger2
In-game: digger

by digger2 » Post

That is too complicated to understand. Can I pay the triple rate for not having to do that hardly understandable actions stated above? Can I have everything activated and renewed by default? Me no speak inglish, me dig and build.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Question: What if someone has 4 pro blocks bunched up in a square for no reason? Does that mean he has to pay 4x golds/week?

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

I keep my protectors buried under ground or hidden in walls whenever possible. Will I have to dig to them to supply gold or would the protection wand work on any block within protector's range like it currently does?
Could I pay taxes for all my property or at least within some range with one click or will I have to run around my property and take care of every single protector?

Also, I have a couple requests associated with protection wands, since you're currently working them:
  1. Could you add a functionality to the wands to show protection area, without having to reach the protector and punch it? And maybe to show areas of all protectors within wand's radius so I could easily see if I'm covering the area that I want to protect?
  2. Change the colour of the entity that shows the area if the protector is inactive.
  3. Consider changing the way protected areas are displayed. Instead of using the entities which are pretty glitched and can't be seen at certain angles maybe change the colour of the nodes within the area.
  4. I think all these changes need a configuration GUI for the wand. There should be an option to switch area display mode between colored nodes, entities (air and water shouldn't change their colour to make the color display usable so nodes would still be useful to show entire area) and none, to change duration of the area display to stay, to change whether the wand operates on a single or multiple areas and pick the wand's range when it's in the multiple areas mode.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Halloween costumes are added!

This Halloween you can pick from any one of 24 different freakishly fun costumes using the wardrobes provided at spawn. To add to the disguise, your nametag is also hidden!

You can reset your skin (and your nametag), by returning to one of the wardrobes and clicking "X" or simply logging off.

The textures and skybox have also been given the spooky treatment and the day-night cycle is disabled as perpetual darkness reigns!

Let the trick or treating madness begin!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

To alleviate any lingering concerns about the upcoming municipal tax program, I want to remind everyone that I thought long and hard about the alternatives. But after carefully weighing the pros and cons, I believe this to be the optimal solution, and certainly the one that affords the greatest degree of control and convenience for individual players.

Here's my post from August, where I described some of the benefits of the tax program:

viewtopic.php?p=289347#p289347

As most of you know, JT2 is directly inspired by the just test server. So, it should come as no surprise that I chose to adopt a similar temporary protection scheme, with several improvements:

For the implementation on JT2, I specifically wanted to relieve the burden of repetitive maintenance while offering a somewhat more practical and realistic gameplay objective.
iisu wrote:I keep my protectors buried under ground or hidden in walls whenever possible. Will I have to dig to them to supply gold or would the protection wand work on any block within protector's range like it currently does?
Could I pay taxes for all my property or at least within some range with one click or will I have to run around my property and take care of every single protector?
The protection wand will provide a remote interface to maintain your land claims (range is 25-50 meters radius). By selecting a protector from the list, a wireframe will appear delineating the protection boundaries in addition to a formspec summarizing your ownership status and payment history, and of course a drop-slot to pay for activation and renewal. I'm afraid that I can't change the color of individual nodes, as that is a limitation of the engine itself.
GoldFireUn wrote:What is the difference between the Tax Exempt District and the unmarked lands at and beyond the edge of the displayed map?
The Tax Exempt District is an area that is not currently subject to taxation, but will eventually be incorporated into the tax program. Any areas that are not color-coded or are not depicted are outside the scope of the tax program.
Question: What if someone has 4 pro blocks bunched up in a square for no reason? Does that mean he has to pay 4x golds/week?
Only one protector is necessary to claim an 11x11x11 parcel of land. So the other 3 protectors can remain inactive (as, as long as they are within the range of at least one active protector.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Sounds like sorcerykid's making more work for herself :P

iisu

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:The protection wand will provide a remote interface to maintain your land claims (range is 25-50 meters radius). By selecting a protector from the list, a wireframe will appear delineating the protection boundaries in addition to a formspec summarizing your ownership status and payment history, and of course a drop-slot to pay for activation and renewal.
Sweet!
sorcerykid wrote:I'm afraid that I can't change the color of individual nodes, as that is a limitation of the engine itself.
According to the official changelog, nodes can be coloured since 0.4.16. But I haven't played with that so Idk how it works.

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Expired protector (deactivated) - what it means exactly? That area is no longer mine? Can I build in it? Can someone else build on it? Can I access my chests there? Can I renew it with gold? How to access wand interface?

iisu

by iisu » Post

Fixerol wrote:How to access wand interface?
I was about to ask same question.

digger2
In-game: digger

by digger2 » Post

sorcerykid wrote:Any land claims that are not renewed by Monday, November 13, shall be forfeited.
I hope that was a joke and all my precious buildings will not turn into a bunch of pumpkins at midnight.

talamh

by talamh » Post

Hi all, just wanted to let you know I have built a 51x51 maze at (-122, 4.5, -770) the goal is to locate the heart block and then find your way back out. The maze is probably a bit too small to get truly lost in but hopefully it will provide some entertainment.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Gobble, gobble!

Today we celebrate the American tradition known as Thanksgiving! However, there is often some confusion by our international players, due to the oversized nature of our poultry-pickings. To be clear, these are not "giant chickens", they are turkeys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_(bird)

Turkeys are the centerpiece of our traditional Thanksgiving meal. And yes they are substantially chunkier than their chicken counterparts, as clearly shown in this beautiful illustration:

Even Mother Jones Magazine chimes in on the chicken-vs-turkey debate, contending that in some respects turkeys are simply too big:
As the illustration on the right demonstrates scientifically, turkeys are big. One reason that we don’t buy turkeys routinely throughout the year is that your average household of 2.58 members doesn’t want that much of anything. Most of us don’t cook big standing rib roasts very often either, but that’s not because we don’t like beef. It’s because they’re too damn big for everyday consumption. Add to that the fact that roasting a turkey is a pain in the ass, and you just aren’t going to have turkey very often.
Perhaps they might not be very much fun to eat (unless it's an excuse to lose some of that excess weight), but we all love watching reruns of Turkeys Gone Wild on JT2!

Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Look great sorcerykid!

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Mutant Chickens Ninja

SaKeL
GitHub: JurajVajda
IRC: SaKeL
In-game: SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

Hi, is it possible to save my buildings with WorldEdit and share it with me, i would like to add them to my collection.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

SaKeL wrote:Hi, is it possible to save my buildings with WorldEdit and share it with me, i would like to add them to my collection.
Yes. In your minetest.conf

Code: Select all

enable_local_map_saving=true
Then you can walk around your builds on the server and it will save to your hard drive. Then you create a new world and call it server_jt2.intraversal.net_30002

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

BBmine: cool will try it thanks

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

awesome...it worked..thanks again

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

You're welcome SaKeL. I'm glad to help :D

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Deck the halls...

With the coming of yet another December on the JT2 server, Lag Memorial Plaza has again transformed into a winter wonderland. Lakes and ponds are already frozen with slick sheets of ice and trees are covered by fluffy mounds of snow. There's a bitter chill in the air, so be sure to wear your scarf!

Spiders and bats are now hibernating, so this is the safest time of year to wander outdoors at night. But if you venture too far from town, then you are bound to run into an a pack of ice monsters. These frozen fiends are out for blood, so armor up or be eaten alive!

Of course, nothing is more festive than a larger-than-life Christmas tree with presents underneath. So it is no surprise that Nemo is already hard at work decorating The Great Hall with a seasonal theme. Thanks to one of our newest players, 345clown, for offering to model in front of the tree. That green sweater looks extra cozy!

This year we've also arranged for Santa Claus to make a surprise appearance on JT2 every few days. She'll be dropping off candy canes and gingerbread cookies for all the good little boys and girls. If you're lucky enough to be online at the time, then you can look forward to some holiday treats. We promise they're low in sugar, but high in fun!

On Sunday, December 24, we will have a photo booth setup at spawn so that players can get their picture taken with Santa Claus. An official JT2 Christmas album will then be published afterward, so mark your calendars!

DragonsVolcanoDance
IRC: DragonGirl
In-game: DragonsVolcanoDance

by DragonsVolcanoDance » Post

I suppose I could always come through and blow all the snow off of JT2 with my legion of fire dragons. (Like the show-off that I am)! And warm the air up a little.
But I think you all would mind that....heeeeeehee.....
Anyways, Looking great sorcerykid!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Today I migrated all world directories to tmpfs. Previously only auth.txt and map.sqlite were being stored on a RAMdisk, while the remainder of world data still resided under /var/tmp. This may or may not improve server performance, except perhaps for I/O operations to the players subdirectory, which contains thousands of files and is accessed quite frequently.

Fortunately, max_lag on JT2 has always remained very low, between 0.10 and 0.15, even at peak hours with 40+ players. I suspect that disk caching reduces most file access overhead. Nonetheless, I'm always on the lookout for additional optimizations. For example, daily backups which ordinarily take 4 minutes, are now completed in barely two minutes. That in and of itself is a huge improvement!

While I was updating the crontab, I also determined that the mysterious player file deletions were the result of a misconfigured tmpwatch. That was an oversight on my part, as I thought tmpwatch had long been disabled. Thankfully, all player files should now be persistent and out of harms way, since I am no longer using /var/tmp. My apologies for any lost inventory!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

The Daily Session Summary now shows the total session time for each player, besides the rank and number of logins.
I also included login and logoff messages within the Daily Chat History, so it's easier to keep track of conversations.
For the time being these are still plain text files, but I'll add some snazzier formatting with the forthcoming Website redesign :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I just added a realtime player list to the JT2 homepage along with server status.

Tomorrow, I will also incorporate a map showing players and their locations within the city. Enjoy!