[Server] Just Test Tribute

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
51%
NO
49%

Total votes: 178

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:Hehe! I just spent 8 hours rewriting the entire fireworks mod from scratch adding numerous effects and sounds to give the pyrotechnics show as much realism as possible, so I think it's going to be absolutely epic! :D
I wanted to make my own fireworks mod but I decided to wait till New Year. When I first heard of the anniversary I had a thought that I might do it earlier but I procrastinated. And you tell me you spent 8 hours just to make them work. Are you a robot or something? :D
I just happened to have some dye on me this morning so I crafted a few and fired them up. They're amazing.

32 minutes till the event.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I wanted to make my own fireworks mod but I decided to wait till New Year. When I first heard of the anniversary I had a thought that I might do it earlier but I procrastinated. And you tell me you spent 8 hours just to make them work. Are you a robot or something? :D I just happened to have some dye on me this morning so I crafted a few and fired them up. They're amazing.
Oops, that was the original fireworks mod. It's nothing like the lightshow you are about to see ;)

Speaking of which, just 30 minutes folks. Then it's time for a virtual fireworks display that's out of this world!

iisu

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:Oops, that was the original fireworks mod. It's nothing like the lightshow you are about to see ;)
Yeah, those were just balls of particles and what you created was much more. All the different shapes and patterns and the smoke. I even punched them with with the new Inspection Wand when you turned around. :>

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I just wanted to remind players of the rules against cheating and building above others. These rules apply to everyone. If you are a moderator or guardian, then you should know better. In fact, you should be setting an example for other players to follow. So please learn to play within the parameters of the game.

JAG_JAG
In-game: JAG_JAG

by JAG_JAG » Post

Hi :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that participated in our anniversary celebration last Thursday. It was a very exciting but exhausting day! I'm still recouperating from all the fun xD

A special shoutout to whomever designed this amazing "Happy Birthday JT2" party backdrop. I was completely blown away when Arisha_L unveiled it to me. Someone has amazing design skills!

Whatdya know? It's Nemo at the helm, prepping for a huge pyrotechnics show. I can guarantee, she was having a BLAST ;D

With so many different activities, it wasn't possible to get a single group photo of everyone. So after the fireworks, several of us huddled in for an impromptu snapshot on top of the JT2 marquee. Quite a few familiar faces here, including JT2 veterans like GoldFireUn, jtee, kumma_, DragonsVolcanoDance, and Prairiesky.

A few players logged off just before the photoshoot, so they weren't included: micah, iisu, steve, fernanfloo and SuckerForPain.

Afterward, what was supposed to be a routine cleanup of confetti at spawn, somehow developed into a full fledged castle, courtyard, and moat. Okay, Nemo got a little carried away lol.

And last but not least, Maike (creator of the JT2 server) captures some of his own afterhours adventures on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj0dlzbdDOo

Once again, a great big Happy Birthday to the Just Test Tribute server!

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Awe man! I missed the birthday party! :P

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

A few quick bug fixes since last weekend:

- The Player Information Panel would not reset after double-clicking on a player. Fixed
- Kittens had unusually high HP and rarely dropped raw meat. Fixed.
- The Craft Guide would reset to the default crafting panel while viewing recipes. Fixed.
- The chat command "/x" would not open the Macro Crafting Manager. Fixed.
- The volume of the teleport "swoosh" sound effect was ridiculously loud. Fixed.
- Jumping mobs would maintain "stand" animation after switching to walk state. Fixed.
- Flying mobs would rapidly change course when directly above or below a target. Fixed
- Monsters would attack players even while riding inside a boat or a cart. Fixed.
- Monsters would fail to initiate the "punch" animation during a dogfight attack. Fixed.

And several other odds-and-ends updates that will go live after tonight's restart:

- Carts are still disabled, but they can be picked up in the ordinary fashion again.
- Sound fx have been added for locked chests, steel doors, and punching mobs with tools/hand.
- Drops have been changed up slightly for turkeys, wild hares, and phoenixes.
- The existing chat command "/chat" instead accepts an optional player name as a parameter.
- A new chat command "/c [search_phrase]" was added for quicker chat history queries.

I will try to have the carts working by this weekend, but it depends on if I can track down the cause of the server crashes.
Last edited by sorcerykid on Tue Aug 15, 2017 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

I just recently tried out the new inventory, and I think it's pretty sweet. ;)

iisu

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:- Jumping mobs would maintain "stand" animation after switching to walk state. Fixed.
- Flying mobs would rapidly change course when directly above or below a target. Fixed
There's a problem similar to the two that I haven't reported because I didn't know you work on even little things like that. When two mobs are directly above a target, they jump on one another and fly up high until one changes direction and they fall.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Just a quick heads up everyone: Beginning Friday, September 1, all land claims within 400 meters of spawn will be subject to a mandatory property tax with the exception of those properties in the city historical district, properties more than 20 meters below grade, and city owned properties.

The purpose of this tax is threefold:
  • To deter squatting and subsequent abandonment of large tracts of land.
  • To make land available closer to spawn for new players and for public use.
  • To provide another revenue stream for ongoing city improvement projects.
The specific boundaries of the taxation district are Brookfield Road on the north, Valley Road on the east, Hill Street on the south, and Holiday Drive on the west. Property owners will have a one week grace period in which to renew their land claims After September 7, any land claims that are not renewed, will be forfeited.

More details, including a rate schedule and FAQ, will be posted very soon. Thanks for your understanding!

digger2
In-game: digger

by digger2 » Post

OMFG, it is going to be the Just Tax Server.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

digger2 wrote:OMFG, it is going to be the Just Tax Server.
Yes. At least I live ~500 from spawn. :P

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

BBmine wrote:
digger2 wrote:OMFG, it is going to be the Just Tax Server.
Yes. At least I live ~500 from spawn. :P
Have you changed your mind yet to quit Minetest? I knew so - to quit Minetest is this very hard way, especially if you play here long time.

843jdc
GitHub: jdc843
IRC: jdc843
In-game: 843jdc

by 843jdc » Post

Taxes ??? Time to throw a tea party!

Just kidding.

Sounds like a great way to do what you need done.

digger2

by digger2 » Post

I'd like to say a few words about taxation. Unlike income taxes, property taxes are extremely complicated, unfair and hard to administer, that is why sorcerykid's new tax should be widely discussed beforehand, then thoroughly tested on some volunteers, and then used in the most simplified form (or not used at all).
And there is no need to hurry, I'm sure that the server will successfully last for a month without any taxes.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Thanks for the feedback. Property taxes in this case are actually a "land value tax" which is deemed favourable amongst economists:
Land value tax has been referred to as "the perfect tax" and the economic efficiency of a land value tax has been known since the eighteenth century. Many economists since Adam Smith and David Ricardo have advocated this tax, but it is most famously associated with Henry George, who argued that because the supply of land is fixed and its location value is created by communities and public works, the economic rent of land is the most logical source of public revenue.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_value_tax

LVT is also considered beneficial because a) it obliges landowners to redevelop vacant and under-utilized sites or to make way for others who have more incentive to do so and b) it deters speculative land holding thereby restoring delapitated inner-city areas to good use while concomitantly deterring urban sprawl.

I also find it somewhat telling that the only player that seems to firmly object to the idea of a tax being levied on land value is the one with the most land clams in and around spawntown. This is a computer game. There are challenges. Rule and objectives change. And most importantly, I own the server and pay $$$ out of my own pocket for its continued operation :)

digger2

by digger2 » Post

sorcerykid wrote: I also find it somewhat telling that the only player that seems to firmly object to the idea of a tax being levied on land value is the one with the most land clams in and around spawntown.
I guess the rest of players is too rich / too poor / too far / too uninformed / too foreign / too young to bother. By the way, I do not really object to the idea, I'm concerned with its probable implementation. IRL it takes decades to properly adjust a tax just to make it somewhat fair and balanced. Please save your time and start with the simplest implementation possible.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

The simplest implementation possible is for admin to step in and raze any properties that she deems undesirable based on her personal judgment. I can't promise the outcome would be fair or balanced given that scenario. But the process itself should prove quick and easy.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Taxation is a TERRIBLE idea, imo.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

maybe 400 block is a bit extreme radius dont you think??? like what happens to the players like me who are not aloud to play minetest enough to be around when its tax-time???
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

You
GitHub: Me
IRC: Me
In-game: You

by You » Post

Stix wrote:maybe 400 block is a bit extreme radius dont you think??? like what happens to the players like me who are not aloud to play minetest enough to be around when its tax-time???
Then, you can say bye bye to your land.
Who's Soulja boy?

Yuuuuuu

iisu

by iisu » Post

I see taxation as an extension to the idea from S521 and JT and probably some other servers where protection can be removed under certain circumstances. On S521 after a week of inactivity your account expires and so do all your protectors, protected/locked doors, chests. JT is much less strict on this and only a special kind of protectors which are cheaper than standard ones, called braziers, expire. And there's an area around the spawn where only braziers can be used. We go somewhere in between: only a limited area around the spawn is prone but the area is larger than on JT.
Think of taxation as braziers from JT: you just need to constantly supply certain resources if you want to keep your property. It's just another challenge to the game. Additionally, the resources that you use rather than be wasted will be reused to help develop the city and its infrastructure which we all benefit from.

As always, I see some potential problems:
1. You say this is meant to make land close to spawn available to new players but new players may not afford to pay the taxes. There needs to be some tax-free period for new players but that introduces another problem as old players can create new accounts to benefit from the tax-free period or even pass property ownership to the new account to avoid paying taxes at all.
2. If I understand correctly, the tax will depend on property's surrounding. This means players can team up to keep whole neighborhoods ugly and underdeveloped just to lower the value of their surrounding and reduce the taxes.
3. There are many great buildings around the spawn, some of them might have been abandoned a long time ago and even their owners may have left the server. What will happen to them?
4. If underground possessions are not taxed, people will be more likely to build under ground - at and below the lake bottom - which will exploit the problem with rendering explained in that thread you once showed me and lead to further fps drops in spawn area.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Just a quick heads up: I am in the process of consolidating ownership of all public property to "publicworks". This should finally resolve the patchwork of protection between Nemo, sorcerykid, publicworks, parkdistrict, and transitdistrict. Only Lag Memorial Plaza and the Abba Church will continue to be owned by Nemo. All future parks, highways, railways, roadways, and subways will be owned by publicworks.

I hope to have this process completed by Monday. Thanks for your patience.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

when is my tax due???
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.