[Server] Just Test Tribute

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
51%
NO
49%

Total votes: 178

ggjones
In-game: ggjones47123 or ggjones

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute (200 Years)

by ggjones » Post

Mister_CJ wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 14:45
Why does Wuzzy keep crashing the server? This is the second time this week.
Wuzzy keeps crashing the server?

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

It took me some time to edit the video but here it is. Real footage from the New Year party:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOBjdedOrc
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

We Made It to 200!

Cheers to everyone that attended our bicentennial party on Thursday, December 30! It was more than I had hoped for, and then some. What better way to pay homage to the original just test server then by commemorating 200 years with pure chaos and destruction!

Given that a new century is such a rare occurrence (it only rolls around every 500 days), I overhauled spawn with the addition of two castle towers, designed by the one and only Administrator -- a hacker that was banned by maikerumine in the first weeks of JT2.

The entire spawn plaza was also transformed into an open sandbox, allowing players to build or mine to their heart's content. With the arrival of the new century, however, protection at spawn was completely disabled -- so everything could seized.

Inside both castle towers were a variety of locked chests -- some filled with valuables, others filled with junk. The southern tower also included a giant Nyan Cat sculpture. A few players tried to stake their claim beforehand, ready to plunder what they could!

To build up hype for the main event, Nemo also staged a pastry explosion and monster frenzy at spawn. There were enough muffins and donuts served to give everybody heartburn for weeks to come.

Of course, Wuzzy and iisu took the opportunity to drop an assortment of their own goodies for the n00bs to indulge in, from bread and potatoes to the recently introduced ice cream and chilled drinks!

Once the monster mash was underway, however, all players had to be on their best defenses. Spawn was quickly overrun by hundreds of zombies, ghosts, spiders, bats, and other creatures of the night.

As the countdown clock approached midnight, players grabbed their confetti cannons and party horns. This place was about to get LIT!

The Phoenix Rising officially began the following night. Four players sought to vanquish the legendary beast: Wuzzy, SuckerForPain, Mister_CJ, and iisu. While attacking the Phoenix for its loot was quickly mastered, actually luring it inside the castle towers to blast open the locked chests proved to be a more difficult task. But thanks to some teamwork, everyone made off with plenty of riches!

And thus with the land of JT2 left in ruins from the 200 year Phoenix Rising, we prepare to rebuild anew in a glorious new age of progress and innovation. Cheers!

Thanks to all of the regulars and newcomers that participated, making this once-in-a-century event a HUGE success!

~Nemo

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Three cheers to all of our players for making this NYE celebration extra hype!

We hosted two separate countdowns, for both our European and American visitors. However, due to a mixup with the timezones, I ended up rescheduling the second event for the Central U.S. instead of the Eastern U.S. But that worked out for the best, since we got a much bigger turnout by waiting the extra hour!

At the stroke of midnight, there was a massive balloon drop followed by a brilliant fireworks show. But the highlight of the evening was our first ever afterparty hosted at Club Nemo! A bunch of folks came out to mingle with friends and to show off their dance moves.

Huge kudos to our very own Mister_CJ, the DJ whom rocked the decks from dusk till dawn -- and then straight into the next night. He's a non-stop machine, and we can't wait to see him perform again!

As is our annual tradition on JT2, we lined up atop the giant marquee afterward for a reunion photo. Although this year's celebration had fewer regulars than usual, we still saw many new faces, which is always reassuring!

I didn't take nearly as many photos as I have the past, but I was recording the entire event. Evidently I'm not the only one either. It turns out that AspireMint and ggjones47123 had the same idea! Hopefully they'll share their footage here at some point as well :)

Best wishes for an AWESOME 2022!

ggjones

by ggjones » Post

Today I am here to announce the footage of the three JT2 New Years Parties.

Why three?
The original idea was to have two parties that was one for Europe(UTC-0) and one for US(UTC-5). The Europe party went great but the time for the US party had a missed understanding(either UTC-5 or UTC-6) and we didn't want anyone to miss the US party so Sorcerykid decided to move the party to CST. The chat from the EST video will explain it better then I can 10 days later. We did have a EST as seem from the video since we were all there anyway.

Idea in the moment
This was truly an idea in the moment when I was at the Europe party. I just installed OBS and went with the default video options then quickly recorded. Now the first half of the Europe party is forever loss in video sense anyway but memory is still there. But I was ready for the other parties and that's why it was captured.

The Videos
Now these are complete unedited videos of the party so every moment was not missed. I will later create an edited video showing the highlights(basically the interesting parts) since I don't think most of you have the patience of going through the long videos to find the interesting parts(trust me most of the video is mostly boring). I will make another post when I have the edited videos made.

What was filmed
The Europe party was filmed half way through. The lucky part was the JT2 New Years screenshot was in the video so now you can see the behind the scenes of the JT2 New Years screenshot.
The EST party was filmed completely.
The CST party was filmed completely.

Finally the videos
Here is the part that you all been waiting for. The Videos!!!!!!!

Europe Party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTvn49G14RQ

EST Party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVjGrr68YkY

CST Party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjZauNnzU4s

The channel I uploaded on is now my video dump channel so don't expect me actively making videos. I created this channel about a week ago anyway.

Bonus Fact
I believe this is the first JT2 New Years party filmed(maybe maikerumine filmed the party years ago but from a quick search I found nothing).

What Now
Yes I will be filming the next New years parties so they will be remembered not just memory but in video too.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

As some of you noticed, more specialty foods and drinks have recently been added to the game thanks to iisu. Here's a rundown of what's currently available (note this list doesn't include mob drops).

Besides being a refreshing beverage, Apple Juice, Orange Juice, Raspberry Juice, Blueberry Juice, and Lemonade give a 30-second chill effect. It's a great way to keep cool during those hot summer days!

The perfect frozen snack for those dangerously hot encounters, Bluebbery Ice Cream, Raspberry Ice Cream, and Chocolate Ice Cream will give you a 30 second freeze. Perfect for mining in lava caves!

Of course it's always important to stay hydrated too! So quench your thirst with a refreshing glass of water. To obtain a Glass of Water, use an empty glass on a river water node. The Glass of Water provides a moderate cooldown effect, but only 1 hunger point.

Note: The addition of drink effects to the Basic Survival mod is still experimental, and this feature is likely to be tweaked as necessary over the coming weeks. The hunger points for the items shown above are subject to change as well.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

It seems that collecting hard-to-find items is becoming a sort of competition amongst players on the JT2 server these past few weeks. Some are even dealing and trading in such rarities, creating an underground marketplace of sorts!

IMS_BULLDOGS shows off a couple of exotic finds from someone's bones.

Mister_CJ proudly displays a collection of novelties in his Hall of Rare Items.

Wuzzy created an entire Art Exhibition just to showcase his prized possessions!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Just a quick heads up, all doors and trapdoors now support multiple closing and locking modes via the wrench tool. This should afford more consistency when building with a variety of doors, all requiring the same feature set.

Originally, I had wanted certain doors to be more fully-featured than others, just so that they could have more intrinsic value. But now I realize that it's probably more confusing than it's worth to maintain those seemingly arbitrary distinctions.

On a sidenote, at some point I will probably be deprecating protected doors and trapdoors as those are legacy nodes that don't support the Doors Redux API at all. The functionality of shared locking can already be achieved now with all regular doors and trapdoors..

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Wooden trapdoors still don't support locking modes. Other than that, the wrench seems to work for everything.

How will the protected [trap]doors be deprecated?

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hey all, I rotated the wieldview of the Mangifier tool so it now appears oriented correctly in the hand. If you notice any other tools that have the wrong orientation, please notify me so that I can make adjustments as necessary.

In other maintenance and administration news...
  • I overhauled the hunger system which was causing new foods not to register with the correct hunger points.
  • The City Block at spawn has been replaced, since it was evidently nonfunctional allowing for spawnkilling.
  • The JT2 Memorial Stones in both Guard Towers have been replaced, since they were also nonfunctional.
  • I placed a second City Block directly east of the gatehouse, to discourage PVP in and around Tring Square.

iisu

by iisu » Post

I made a map of the Neko Park construction site:
Red line is the land borders.
Light red whatever that is are border disputes.
Magenta is the border on water.
Pink lines are coastal disputes.
Gray is where I'm considering expansion (the land is already claimed).
And the gray overlayed area is a planned custom public road.

I used the daily map rendering from the website which only reaches to 750m away from spawn, so a part of the land is outside the map (at the furthest point, it touches the planned road at 800, and there's another area I'm considering on the other side of the road).

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I added a /dice command last week, which affords many additional gameplay possibilities. Now you can toss a coin to determine which player starts the first round of a tournament. Every dice roll is publicized in chat, ensuring full transparency of the outcome.

There are three forms to the command. By default, it will roll a standard die with a probability of 1/6. However, an integer can also be supplied, allowing for a ranging of probabilities between 1/2 and 1/1000. Percentages and decimals are also accepted. For example, "50%" produces a 1/2 probability and "0.25" produces a 1/4 probability.

ggjones

by ggjones » Post

Nice that the dice feature is getting improved. I used it a few times just to try it out but now since you added on to it there is more you can do with it now. Now I don't know what I would do with a 1/1000 dice lol.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Last week I fixed a critical bug with the dropboxes, where identical items with metadata were not being delivered correctly. This was due to a quirk in how the inventory API handles removal of itemstacks. The dropbox functionality should be working as expected now. Thanks to Wuzzy and iisu for bringing this to my attention!

In the process of debugging and refactoring the Mailbox mod, mailboxes themselves got a much-needed makeover. You can now set a label which displays on the mailbox node itself as well as in the list of delivery notifications via the /mail command.

This is great way to keep track of multiple mailboxes, rather than depending on confusing coordinates just to locate mail deliveries. Labels also comes in handy for identifying mailboxes to visitors, particularly if they are intended for a specific location and purpose. The owner, of course, is always displayed alongside the optional label.

To change the label and other mailbox options, just click "Options" from the mailbox inventory screen.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I fixed the Holoblock mod since it caused a server crash the other day. This bug was due to entities not deactivating correctly. After some much needed code reorganization, however, it should be stable now. In fact, I will probably be using the same methodology for the Itemframes mod, since it manages entities in much the same way.

In other news, I'm happy to report that lightning has finally been restored! Believe it or not, the bug turned out to be a simple misspelled function name. Not only that, but I noticed it was on January 25, 2021 that I broke the lightning code, and now precisely one year later it is working again. Talk about a coincidence! xD

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

As promised, here is the leaderboard for the most kills during our bicentennial Phoenix Rising challenge.

The fearless warriors of the phoenix fighters celebrate their victory! (Note that player iisu was present, but had to leave early)

Congratulations to all four of our participants! You successfully vanquished the phoenixes and saved the world of JT2 for another 100 years. Each of you will be awarded a trophy for your accomplishments. You are the heroes of the new century!

PS. For those who are curious, here's what the 12 mystery chests inside the castle towers contained.

Mystery Chests

Jackpot Chest
Last edited by sorcerykid on Sat Jan 29, 2022 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

iisu

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 22:55
Actually, I stole one kill from SFP, so it doesn't count.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I further enhanced the Basic Survival mod, with a vignette that appears as your Temp Felt approaches the extremes of physical tolerance. The colder or hotter you feel, the hazier your vision becomes giving a visceral indication of your growing discomfort. Of course after you start suffering frostbite or heatstroke, then you are effectively blinded.

This is a feature I've long been wanting to implement, since full-screen sensory feedback (rather than just the temperature reading in the corner) greatly enhances immersion. After sufficiently tweaking the texture modifiers and the overlay image, I finally got a visual effect that I'm very pleased with :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Goblins have been added to the game. But beware! They can snatch random items from the hotbar of your inventory when you aren't looking -- this includes your wielded item! Goblins drop random bounty including red mushrooms (that harm you), brown mushrooms (that heal you), and waterlilies (natural decor for lakes and ponds), and of course any items stolen from your inventory.

Note that goblins typically hang out around public shops, seeking unsuspecting guests to pickpocket. Rarely do they invade homes and mines, unless you have valuables prominently on display. Goblins add a whole new level of survival challenge to JT2. No longer are possessions in-hand completely safe from thieves!

In the future, all stolen items will be combined into a global loot pool. This way, they will never be truly gone forever. Instead, there is a possibility that a goblin somewhere else in the world could be carrying around that prized Nyan Cat you just lost. Who knows, another player might soon hit the jackpot!

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 22:57

Goblins have been added to the game.
Cool implementation of these Goblins, I can see how this would add to the impressiveness of a server. I don't suppose that any of the mods for this server are compatible with the regular Minetest?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Today is the last day in which you can sign up for the Battle of the Lag Block. This is a battle to the death in which the last surviving player will win a rare lag block.
Write in this thread or put a letter in my mailbox until 23:59 UTC today.
The battle itself will be on some day in February 2022. I still need to decide on a day, it depends on when the participants have time. I try to contact them to find an agreement.

If no agreement can be made, I will start the event on a last-resort day on February 28, 2022 19:00 UTC.

Visit Bones Bungalow (76, 2, 5) from time to time or follow this thread for updates.

ggjones

by ggjones » Post

The oldest bones on the server(so far) was just discovered

Part of my weird obsession with finding the oldest bones on the server. The oldest bones so far was just discovered.
The oldest bones that I knew were around on the server was as far back as 2017 well it turns out there are still older bones.

Though it's not a player bones which I would hope it would be but why not it's still old bones even though it's from a mob.
So that makes the oldest player bones from 2017 and the oldest monster bones from 2016 so far.
That means the record holder is bones from a monster.

Thanks for liliserena for discovering the what we call so far the oldest bones on the server.

Monster_Bones1.png
Monster_Bones1.png (590.44 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
Bones around a 100 blocks away.
Monster_Bones2.png
Monster_Bones2.png (838.91 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
Another bones near the bones above which is glitched so this doesn't count.
Monster_Bones_1969_Bug.png
Monster_Bones_1969_Bug.png (690.99 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
Now remember this is the oldest bones that I know but it doesn't mean the oldest bones that other players know.
If anyone knows any bones older then please let me know:)

ggjones

by ggjones » Post

Updated: Now officially the oldest known bones on the server

It turns out Wuzzy knew older bones then the bones liliserena found. Officially the oldest bones so far are older just by just 4 days.

Sitting inside the Temple of Maikerumine.

The oldest bones so far are from 11/4/2016
The_Oldest_Bones.png
The_Oldest_Bones.png (795.26 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
Temple of maikerumine
Temple_of_maikerumine.png
Temple_of_maikerumine.png (371.04 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
Another shot to see the whole picture
Another_shot_of_the_temple.png
Another_shot_of_the_temple.png (947.94 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
And as always if anyone knows any older bones please let me know:)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Great news everyone! Now you can express yourself by the use of gestures. Use the /g command to assign gestures to any of the 8 hotbar slots, then right-click to activate the gesture whenever the corresponding hotbar slot is empty. This is of course a much cleaner implementation than the more experimental wielditems, which are now deprecated.

Two gestures are currently available for use by all players: clapping and cheering. Eventually many others will be added including waving, nodding, dancing, and much more. Gestures work great in conjunction with the existing emoji visual effects. Of course, they're also a much needed alternative to the (very overused) party horn :P

The Gestures mod is still a WIP, although it is designed to be extensible. It also makes use of the API that was proposed in PR #7587 so that changing the wielded item is detected immediately (however, my adaptation only factors in the wield index, for simplicity sake).

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Applications for the Battle for the Lag Block have closed! I have decided the battle will take place on February 28, 2022 at 19:00 UTC, unless someone complains.

This is the list of participants:
  • DakotaRose123
  • Rehman830
  • Mister_CJ
  • xx1DEEN
  • SuckerForPain
  • lava-boy / Panyik156
  • Rose
  • khill
  • ggjones47123
The exact rules can be found in the bookshelf at Bones Bungalow at (76, 2, 5).

IMPORANT: If you don't show up on this date, you lose! So make sure to complain beforehand if this date is not an option for you. Oh, and use the remaining time to practice. ;-)

In other news, I recently added a new book, "Ancient Bones" in my bookshelf, with all known coordinates of ancient monster bones. Enjoy!