[Server] Just Test Tribute

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
51%
NO
49%

Total votes: 178

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute (200 Years)

by iisu » Post

Well, we know who's the winner, we can skip the tournament. :D
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I tweaked the Chat History mod so that filtering messages by a specific player no longer includes your own messages in the results. Originally my intention was to make it easier to follow conversations, but that had the counter-effect of making filtering far less useful in situations where you weren't participating in any conversation.

Ultimately, I would like to support filtering by more than one player at a time. But that would require a complete redesign of the existing GUI. So it's on my list of long-term proposed features :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

With all the talk about scouting for ancient bones, here's one of talamh's finds from March of last year. These bones are so old that I had to use a custom debugging tool to parse the metadata.

For those who are curious, the oldest player bones are from Reidling105 who died on January 7, 2017. Believe it or not, they're still fresh after all this time. I guess some people refuse to move on after death :)

sorcerykid

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Post

Great news! Torches have been fixed at long last, so you can again rightclick interactive nodes while wielding a torch.

This bug was an unintended consequence of changes I made to the antigrief routines back in 2020. But since torches are no longer used to ignite TNT, that limitation could be removed.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hello all! As some of you may know, sorcerykid (aka publicworks) has been hard at work these past few weeks improving the city's infrastructure. With the completion of several new roads (including a few that sat in a half-finished state for years), travel by foot and by rail is easier and safer than ever, particularly at night.

Here are some before and after pictures to better showcase the scale and scope of the entire project:

Two of the more noticeable changes include
  • Three tunnels have been constructed through the slum district, providing a direct connection between the central quarter and the eastern quarter. Previously, this required a detour up to Broadmoor Ave or down to Hill St.
  • Rails and signs have been added to nearly all roads within the city limits, although a few routes on the southeast side are still undergoing maintenance. If you are in need of a rail connection, then please drop me a note.
As you can imagine this has been a massive undertaking, requiring several weeks worth of planning and building. So I appreciate everyone's patience as the roadway system on JT2 continues to expand.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

A new street map is now published on the JT2 homepage. It is more extensive than the legacy map, which was limited to spawntown. The city has grown a great deal since 2016, so an update was long overdue.

ggjones
In-game: ggjones47123 or ggjones

by ggjones » Post

Wow it's great the map is updated. A lot has change since 2016 with the server. lol I guess the next map update will be in 5 more years. At least I think the map has a 5 year update cycle. So anyway love the updated map.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

A few weeks ago, I replanted all of the trees along Holiday Drive and Canal Street, as many were heavily griefed due to inadequate protection. They are now fully protected, and ownership has been transferred to publicworks.

I also installed iron-framed streetlamps on Holiday Drive as part of my ongoing beautification efforts within the City Historical District. I will continue to improve the city streetscape over the coming months, with better lighting and signage overall.

In addition, I cleaned up the northern section of Stonebrook Park behind Nemo's home. It's a significant improvement for sure!

And as a bonus for ggjones47123, I installed a ladder on one of the acacia trees near my homestead. Word has it, that's the best AFK spot in town. I'll have to give it a try one of these days! :D

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Great news! Nodes can now be placed directly onto stairs and slabs, without holding the sneak key. Of course, you can still sit on stairs and slabs too, so long as you are not wielding an item (similar in functionality to gestures). No longer is building with stairs a chore!

Also, the repeated server crashes have finally been resolved. Due to an oversight on my part, there was a missing parameter in the placement code. Sorry about that!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

As many of you probably noticed, the Spawntown Subway Station has finally been reopened. The original entrance was closed last spring, to make way for the bell tower. I completely redesigned the entryway, including ladders to the beds on the second floor.

This marks the first phase of the long-awaited subway revitalization project, which will include construction of additional stations along all routes as well as elevators to each of the boarding platforms.

Master_CJ
In-game: Master_CJ

by Master_CJ » Post

ggjones wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 02:56
Updated: Now officially the oldest known bones on the server

It turns out Wuzzy knew older bones then the bones liliserena found. Officially the oldest bones so far are older just by just 4 days.

Sitting inside the Temple of Maikerumine.

The oldest bones so far are from 11/4/2016

The_Oldest_Bones.png
Temple of maikerumine
Temple_of_maikerumine.png
Another shot to see the whole picture
Another_shot_of_the_temple.png
And as always if anyone knows any older bones please let me know:)
Hey! I know of one from a long time ago that I protected if you're still interested :)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes, I am very interested.

ggjones

by ggjones » Post

Master_CJ wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 00:02
ggjones wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 02:56
Updated: Now officially the oldest known bones on the server

It turns out Wuzzy knew older bones then the bones liliserena found. Officially the oldest bones so far are older just by just 4 days.

Sitting inside the Temple of Maikerumine.

The oldest bones so far are from 11/4/2016

The_Oldest_Bones.png
Temple of maikerumine
Temple_of_maikerumine.png
Another shot to see the whole picture
Another_shot_of_the_temple.png
And as always if anyone knows any older bones please let me know:)
Hey! I know of one from a long time ago that I protected if you're still interested :)
Yes I am interested. Part of the main goal is to find the oldest bones on the server.
Sorry for making this post a few days later I just checked today.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I apologize that the server has been down the past couple days. My keyboard stopped working over the weekend, so I wasn't able to login to the terminal to restart it. Thankfully, I ordered a replacement keyboard, but it took much longer than expected to install. (Dell Inspiron 13 laptops are a nightmare to disassemble. I found out you need a special Japanese screwdriver bit).

I also found an amazing deal on Amazon for a like-new 2019 Dell laptop. So, I can start using that for game development and server maintenance from now on, since it's more powerful than my current model. The old laptop will then serve as a test-bed.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hi all! I fixed the Bones Mod earlier this week to mitigate the small chance that bones might not expire under very limited conditions. Thanks to Wuzzy heads up.

I also completed some code reorganization to bring the mod up-to-date with coding conventions for the rest of Just Test Tribute game. This should all be backend stuff, of course, that doesn't impact playability. But if you notice any oddities, then please drop me a note.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

This is just a friendly reminder that building above others (particularly within the vicinity of spawn (including Lag Memorial Plaza and Tring Square) is against the rules: No Griefing.

Recently, there have been several incidents of cobble huts being constructed above the castle courtyard as well as the city streets. Those structures were removed and the areas protected. But players found in violation will have their interact privilege suspended for 24 hours on the first offense, and possibly longer if the activity continues.

Note: This restriction only applies above grade (that is, where the natural terrain exists). Doing so underground is perfect acceptable. There may case-by-case exceptions, of course, depending on the circumstances, such as if you receive permission of the landowner or if the structure affords a discernible civic benefit.

ggjones

by ggjones » Post

Wow I had no idea you can even get blocks up there since everything is protected where spawn is.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

As many of you know, I launched an experimental Twitch channel for JT2 back in January. It has been broadcasting on and off the past few months. But with the arrival of my new laptop a couple weeks ago, the SpawnCam is now fully operational!

Feel free to tune-in to our live video feed of spawn, alongside a relaxing mix of vaporwave, chillwave, and lo-fi music for your listening and working pleasure. And don't forget to drop a follow, so you can be notified of upcoming special events!

https://twitch.tv/intraversal

Currently, the live video feed covers 7 locations around spawn, although other vantage points will be considered:
  • Guardhouse
  • North Guard Tower
  • South Guard Tower
  • Bell Tower
  • Church Street
  • Crescent Drive
The SpawnCam is available on a daily basis from 10am till 6pm Central, except weekends. So even if you can't login to the server, you can still catch all the action in realtime!

Of course, there will be many additional perks with this new channel. Here's what's in store!
  • Once we make affiliate status, then you can show your support for the server by dropping bits or subs. This makes a more convenient alternative to direct donations, particularly if you are already an avid Twitch user.
  • Subscribers will be listed in a Leaderboard at spawn to acknowledge their role in supporting the server. With every additional month, your membership level will increase (from Copper to Bronze to Gold to Diamond).
  • Subscribers will also have access to one or more Minetest-themed emotes that can be used anywhere in Twitch chat (not only on our channel), to signify to other users that you are an active supporter of the JT2 server.
One of my long-term goals is to develop a bridge between Twitch chat and Minetest chat, so that viewers can communicate directly with players, and vice-versa. This will also include in-game Kappagen effects, raid notifications, and hype train notifications. There's a lot of exciting features in store, so stay tuned!

why
GitHub: yansanmo
IRC: progysm
In-game: why

by why » Post

Found some old bones:

lari333's old bones (died 10/21/2016), bone xp 0

58.2, -208,5, 150.2

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Thank you for your service, why. I have confirmed this bones location and added it into my "Ancient Bones" book which is open to the public for every visitor of the Bones Bungalow near Spawn.

These bones are actually 1 day older than the oldest bones I knew. That's a new record! What's special here is that unlike all the other ancient bones I know, these are player bones, not monster bones. A very special find indeed!

ggjones

by ggjones » Post

I originally thought this was an April Fools joke so I had to check myself.

Ok it is real
whys_bone_discovery.png
whys_bone_discovery.png (384.65 KiB) Viewed 3664 times

I am here to announce the oldest bones discovered on the server.

Discovered by why.
May lari3333 Rest In Peace.(died 10/21/2016).

Not only this is the oldest bones found but also the oldest player bones too. The previous bones was bones from a monster(not a player).

The last bones discovered was inside the Temp of Maikerumine dated back to 11/02/2016. The oldest bones is now dated older by 12 days.

This is far back as 2 months after the server entered into the world of Minetest. Im sure there are older bones that hasn't been discovered or this is the one. This bone hunt has only been a thing for a few months now and already great progress has been made. Thanks to everyone who is looking out and finding old bones or just knows where old bones are.

sorcerykid

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute (Now on Twitch!)

by sorcerykid » Post

The leaderboards at spawn have been updated for March!
  • Top 10 Players with Protectors
  • Top 10 Players with Expired Bones
  • Top 8 Items Contained in Chests
  • Top 8 Items Contained in Locked Chests
  • Top 8 Items Contained in Bones
  • Top 8 items Contained in Mailboxes
As promised last year, the stats are now compiled automatically on the 1st day of every month via a cronjob. They'll be imported via a new admin tool that embeds the contents of a raw text file directly into the signs. So no more manual updates :)

Here is Wuzzy, talamh, and catagent101 gathered at spawn to check out the latest protector stats several weeks ago. As you can see, there is still debate about whether Arisha_L's two accounts qualify for numero uno.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Lag Memorial Belltower has undergone an interior redesign. Gone are the shabby looking handrails and dimly lit stairways. Also, for those interested, the Memorial Blocks are now located in the belfry (these are in addition to the ones in the guard towers).

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Important Announcement

This Saturday, the server will be shutdown for 24 hours in commemoration of the original "just test" server that went offline on April 16, 2016. I will be using this opportunity to complete a full server backup to the cloud, much like I did last year. Assuming everything goes smoothly, JT2 will be back online by Sunday. Keep in mind, it could take longer depending on the speed of the data transfer.

ggjones

by ggjones » Post

wow just test had the shutdown 6 years ago wow time has flown by. It's great JT2 is remembering this day and keeping it as an annual tradition. I'll set some time aside today to go through some old memories and moments on just test before the server's 2016 shutdown.