[Server] Just Test Tribute

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
51%
NO
49%

Total votes: 178

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Post

Great news everyone!

JT2 is making a comeback, and just in time for the new year!

After taking a much needed hiatus from Minetest, I'm excited to be back. I've got some big plans for the Just Test Tribute server in 2020.

I know I promised a litany of new features last December, but several of those ideas fell through the cracks. That's what happens when Nemo overextends herself! I did end up fixing a number of outstanding bugs, however, including the broken minecarts. Here's a quick run-down of what's in store in the coming months:
  • rare ores (fine gravel, rubies, emeralds, etc.)
  • metal and chain-link fences
  • colored stone bricks
  • landmines and flash bombs
  • voting booths and information kiosks
  • communicable diseases
  • red and brown mushrooms (with magical health and breath properties)
  • seasonal game mechanics (such as frostbite, heat stroke, crop damage, etc.)
  • pogo sticks, push scooters, and rollerskates
  • GPS navigation guide
  • Teleport pad access controls
  • HUD-based light crystal (shows how visible you are to enemies and monsters)
  • city block interface (allows for fine-grain control over water, lava, and PVP).
  • skinnable dirt-stains (washes off in the rain or submerged in the water)
As is the tradition on Just Test Tribute, we'll be holding our third annual new years eve celebration at spawn again this December 31 with fireworks, balloons, confetii, and more! It's sure to be a fun time -- and plenty loud too, thanks to all the party horns (ahem, I'm looking at you AspireMint and iisu :P)

One of my plans for this year is to modify confetti and balloons so they can be tossed in the air, adding to the festive atmosphere. To avoid littering other people's builds, this feature will only be available at Castle Nemo. The confetti will wash away and the balloons will float away if the wind speed picks up.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again very soon!

Remember: JT2 isn't just a server, it's a way of life. And we're like one big family :)

Master_CJ
In-game: Master_CJ

by Master_CJ » Post

Woohoo! Looking forward to it! Time to dig up my old projects I had planned for this server :)

erstazi
GitHub: erstazi
IRC: erstazi
In-game: erstazi

by erstazi » Post

Sweet! I will make sure that I am there as well! Will it be 0.4.x or 5.0? Thanks sorcerykid!

sorcerykid

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute (NYE Countdown Celebration!)

by sorcerykid » Post

The NYE countdown is exactly 6 hours away...

The countdown clock is set and the walls of Castle Nemo are lined with colorful balloons. All that remains is YOU!

Join us at Lag Memorial Plaza tonight for the BIGGEST balloon drop in all of Minetest! Our dazzling mese globe will ascend the mast atop Castle Nemo and light up the castle at precisely midnight UTC (that is 6pm Central and 7pm Eastern).

I'll be taking another Just Test Tribute Reunion photo above the giant marquee as the hour approaches. So don't be late!

Whether you're a seasoned veteran or a casual visitor, everyone is welcome to share in the festivities. So help us ring in the new year with all your friends on JT2!

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

This is a treat!!!!! Thank you SK!!!
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

maikerumine wrote:This is a treat!!!!! Thank you SK!!!
Oh WOW, maike! :)

We were just talking about you in chat! How've you been? I don't think you've been to any of the NYE parties yet. If you get the chance, you should totally stop by and do one of your phenomenal @test@ videos to capture the event.

Hope your holidays have been festive and merry for you and your family :3

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

OOF

Spoiler
To mods: pls don't delete this post. It's only one word long cause this is the only word that can describe the party that just went on… and this is only a first round. Wish I didn't need to sleep and could witness the main event. OOF
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

The main event was litty. I am so glad I finally made it! Thanks again NEMO and MODS for having a GREAT NYE celebration!!!

here!
https://youtu.be/tqJy-NzfleU
Attachments
2020.png
2020.png (708.83 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Huzzah! It's 2020 Baby!

Our third annual NYE party was off da hook. Between the confetti cannons, party horns, fireworks show, and balloon drop, this was truly a decade-changing experience! Heck, I'm still recovering from all the excitement :)p

For those that couldn't make it, be sure to check out to maikerumine's YouTube channel. He was there for the main event and filmed all the action up close!

And just like last year, we arranged for another impromptu Just Test Tribute Reunion photoshoot atop the marquee at spawn. Not everyone was logged in at the same time, but we made do anyway!

Three cheers again to everybody that came out to celebrate with us. It doesn't seem possible we've just entered a new decade.

So long teens! We're rocking 2020 now!

talamh

by talamh » Post

Just to nitpick a little - there is no year 0 in the modern calendar so the first year started 1st Jan 1. Which means that 2020 is the final year of the decade not the first year :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

talamh wrote:Just to nitpick a little - there is no year 0 in the modern calendar so the first year started 1st Jan 1. Which means that 2020 is the final year of the decade not the first year :)
True, but then again most laypeople do not appreciate how calendars work. So I was simply emphasizing that we're no longer in the teens. Also for some reason dictionary.com say that decades begin with years ending in 0.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/decade?s=t

On a sidenote, it's worth pointing out that dates in game are represented as cardinal numbers unlike traditional calendars (i.e. the Gregorian Calendar) where years and months and days are referenced by their ordinal position.

So on JT2, since the date is written as "0 days, 0 months, 0 years" instead of "year 1, month 1, day 1", then there is never any confusion about when the new decades or new centuries officially start :)

talamh

by talamh » Post

Hmmm dictionary.com also seems to think that octopi is a correct plural for octopus.

Di_EgoPerfil
GitHub: GoDiGo
IRC: ZGoGo
In-game: Ego

by Di_EgoPerfil » Post

Alguien me puede explicar como puedl hacer para volver a conectarme al servidor, es que le pongo mis datos correctos pero me dice que es la version o sabe que, como se le hace para cambiar de version o algo

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hola Di_EgoPerfil!

Debe utilizar el software de cliente Minetest versión 0.4.15 o superior para conectarse a este servidor. Todavía no es compatible con 5.0.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hi all, I just finished a major code reorganization last night, hence the downtime.

I moved several specialized routines from Inventory Redux and Default into their own dedicated mods, namely Player Registry and Macro Crafting Manager. I'd already begun the process last year by moving Livestats, Splash Screen, and Extended Commands into their own mods as well. As a result, I've managed to reduce the codebase of Inventory Redux from 45 kB at its peak to just 8 kB. Wh00t!

This shouldn't affect gameplay at all, it just makes maintenance a lot easier going forward by culling a lot of excess bloat from certain mods. Of course, I also had to resolve a lot of dependencies in the process, which means there's always the potential that something could break. So please bear with any stability issues these next few days :)

Thanks!

sorcerykid

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute (Minetest S3 Engine)

by sorcerykid » Post

He's baaaack!

I see that maikerumine is back in action making let's play videos of Minetest. wh00t!

From the sound of it, he's also considering a documentary about the history of just test and the other stone world clones (ESM, Just Test Tribute, and perhaps even Must Test). Now THAT would be awesome to see :)

JT2 New Construction West
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDCBHthJvAU

Here's the latest upload about his current building projects on JT2. Maike's been super busy, but we're so glad he's back!

Master_CJ

by Master_CJ » Post

Hey just to check in and plan accordingly,
Will the server be down for the rest of the night?
Thanks, hope all is well! :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Yes, I decided to harden several mods against potential exploits including the City Block and ItemFrames. Testing will probably take the remainder of the day, as there have been extensive changes. But it will be worth the wait to keep the griefers at bay.

In the meantime, check out some of these nostalgic videos of the @test@ server by maikerumine -- recorded back in 2016! He just republished them the other day :D

@test@ LP With Aidenminer #1
https://youtu.be/ESX_71M9__k

@test@ LP Doing busy work
https://youtu.be/y_e1Va8eNN4

@TEST@ Server Survival with basics and a bed.
https://youtu.be/fFGUjlnNoTg

@test@ Updates
https://youtu.be/4jixvKYfdpg

Master_CJ

by Master_CJ » Post

I went ahead and put together a playlist of all maikerumine's just test and Just Test Tribute videos in the order in which he presents to us :) Keep in mind some of the videos in the series are no longer public, I believe, so these are all that are out now :D

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Gm0vyqIUT3

(The playlist is approx. 55.5 hours long)
Thank you maikerumine for all the time and effort you put into your videos!!

Master_CJ

by Master_CJ » Post

SO

I was binge-watching maikerumine's old videos from just test in January 2015 and guess who I saw on there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiC97q- ... T3&index=9

I made an appearance at minute 2:56 and I didn't even know it!

Check it out :D

So long ago! Started playing around the same time as maike! Very cool, just thought I'd share because I almost spit out my ravioli when i saw it hahaha

GoldFireUn
GitHub: BluebirdGreycoat
In-game: GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Happy New Year! Sorry to be 21 days late; I would have been at the party but I didn't realize the server was online again until Master_CJ stopped by when I happened to be online. Lucky!

Glad to see you're back, sorcerykid! And you too, maikerumine!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hi all!

Sorry about the extended downtime. As some of you know, I keep to a weekly off-site backup schedule for JT2. However, with over 600 GB of world data archived since 2016, disk space both on the production server and my cloud host is nearing capacity. Rather than foregoing weekly backups entirely, I would much prefer devise a more efficient solution that doesn't consume 8+ GB every single Monday.

Unfortunately SQLite3 does not support incremental backups, nor could I even find any 3rd-party tools for that purpose. So I've taken the liberty to develop my own incremental backup utility for Minetest. After a full week of coding and testing, my goal is for it to be ready by Monday night. If all goes smoothly, then I will finally be bringing the server back up (no pun intended :P) on Tuesday. This will be a huge milestone, as I've been wanting to do this for years. Thanks for your patience everyone!

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

keep just the last 4 Mondays, = 4 a month
and after only the first backup of each month = 11+4 a year
and then over a year old maybe just 2 of each year ? 2 a year
should be max about 4+11+2(*x) of 8 GB about 136 GB,
... also I save older backups on external 500 GB HDD ... let just last one in main folder, and the last month on same machine extra HDD
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:Hi all!

Sorry about the extended downtime. As some of you know, I keep to a weekly off-site backup schedule for JT2. However, with over 600 GB of world data archived since 2016, disk space both on the production server and my cloud host is nearing capacity. Rather than foregoing weekly backups entirely, I would much prefer devise a more efficient solution that doesn't consume 8+ GB every single Monday.

Unfortunately SQLite3 does not support incremental backups, nor could I even find any 3rd-party tools for that purpose. So I've taken the liberty to develop my own incremental backup utility for Minetest. After a full week of coding and testing, my goal is for it to be ready by Monday night. If all goes smoothly, then I will finally be bringing the server back up (no pun intended :P) on Tuesday. This will be a huge milestone, as I've been wanting to do this for years. Thanks for your patience everyone!
Chapeau bas.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I'm happy to report that it works!

Not only that but the results are quite impressive. Testing on an older map that is about 3.7 GB in size, the incremental backup took only about 26 seconds to complete. Yet the full backup took upwards of 2 minutes. So that is a four-fold reduction in processing time.

Even better still are the size differences!

This is the archive directory structure. The files named "series-X.sqlite" are the incremental backups and "master.sqlite" is the full backup. For the first test, I spent several minutes flying through the world digging constantly, resulting in changes to over 6,100 mapblocks. I estimate that would be roughly equivalent to an afternoon's worth of server activity. The resulting file size? A measly 5.7 megabtyes :D