[Server] Just Test Tribute

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
51%
NO
49%

Total votes: 178

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by Wuzzy » Post

If you simply want to determine you own position (rather than that of another player) and F5 debug output is not available in your client software, then you can use the /status player command.
I predict that soon a player named “player” will join.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

That wouldn't matter because the actual command is /status player.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15334&p=260681#p260681

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

On this server is there still room to build and are you allowed to build whatever you want?
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Yes, there is still a lot of room to build, but nothing closer than ~450 meters from spawn. This is fairly common for active servers that are 1-2 years old. I will be looking into adding travelnets and expanding the subway system, so that will make it easier to navigate. However, there is a fairly extensive roadway network, so getting most places around the city is not too cumbersome (altho I'm working on fixing minecarts).

digger2
In-game: digger

by digger2 » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:On this server is there still room to build and are you allowed to build whatever you want?
If you don't mind having an underwater entrance, build underwater/underground. This town is extremely flat and thin, so there is a lot of unprotected space underwater/underground within 100-200 meters from spawn.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Most underwater builds are beneath existing land claims. I can make no guarantees whether such builds will be allowed indefinitely, particularly in the area of spawntown. Anything protected underwater (that is not owned by the same player above water), is at risk of removal or relocation.

why
GitHub: yansanmo
IRC: progysm
In-game: why

by why » Post

I used two blocks (22x11) under the road/church park to build a base and clean water from bones, two blocks wide, then it goes vertical. It's under publicworks property.

I also remove a lot of protection block near the "LOL" and around my south-east base for beginners (310, 25, -170)
I guess you could see it on the next update of http://jt2.intraversal.net/dataminer/compile/why.png

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

digger2 wrote:
GamingAssociation39 wrote:On this server is there still room to build and are you allowed to build whatever you want?
If you don't mind having an underwater entrance, build underwater/underground. This town is extremely flat and thin, so there is a lot of unprotected space underwater/underground within 100-200 meters from spawn.
uhm,
except for the public and semi public tunnel systems and grids at -50, -200, -250 and -500
to which somebody called digger has blocked some of the privat accesses including mine :-D
haven't checked the whole grid yet though

actually quite a few squaters have shut of the odd old tunnel and claimed it as home. It can't be that difficult to recognise that those tunnels belong to a grid and are meant for public use.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

twoelk wrote:
digger2 wrote:
uhm,
except for the public and semi public tunnel systems and grids at -50, -200, -250 and -500
to which somebody called digger has blocked some of the privat accesses including mine :-D
haven't checked the whole grid yet though

actually quite a few squaters have shut of the odd old tunnel and claimed it as home. It can't be that difficult to recognise that those tunnels belong to a grid and are meant for public use.
Unlock the admin_TNT_fast for that one. ;)
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

As some of you may have noticed, the world clock will reach 100 in-game years tonight (that is 36,000 days since the epoch), marking the centennial of JT2! Amazingly, it was about one year ago that maikerumine transferred ownership of the map and the subgame to me (on December 3 to be exact). So all the more reason to commemorate the occasion!

Tomorrow morning I will be reverting to a saved copy of the map from 12/21/2016. People will have the entire day to explore the ancient world! I will then restore the current map by early Friday afternoon. I'll see you all -- in the near past ;D

Arisha_L
In-game: Arisha_L

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute (100 Years)

by Arisha_L » Post

Oh)) I was seriously scared -_-

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Arisha_L wrote:Oh)) I was seriously scared -_-
LOL yeah I thought I had entered a time machine!!! (I'm assuming you're talking about the 100 years!)

Beast24
IRC: Beast24

by Beast24 » Post

Untitled (2).jpg
Untitled (2).jpg (14.2 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Looking at the map to see buildings and stuff and found this lol
Last edited by Beast24 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 05:10, edited 4 times in total.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Beast24 wrote:Image
Looking at the map to see buildings and stuff and found this lol
That image is not properly posted, and it's not shared either.

Beast24

by Beast24 » Post

thx i fixed it now

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

The last 24-hours were quite literally a blast from the past! An ancient world long frozen in time sprung back to life for but a mere day. Yet, even knowing the impending doom of this temporal existence, many players still took to exploring the safety of city while others tested their survival skills in the wilderness with only the basic supplies.

Needless to say, the countdown to a new century is a very rare event even in Minetest (it equates to about 416 actual solar days), so I waited very patiently to capture the midnight hour on camera :)

I also updated the JT2 splash screen with a snazzy new logo and jingle :)

Wuzzy razed his legendary Bones Bungalow, and in its place constructed a shiny new (or is it old?) diamond fortress complete with an adjoining patio. Now that's an unexpected change!

CryMaker's long-forgotten S51-inspired base on the outskirts of town was discovered by iisu. Since being demolished, however, this area has developed into a densely populated neighborhood.

Some players like odiseu and yik were determined to settle down within the central city, even braving the dangerous mobs directly beneath Badger's infamous sky-spawner. Now that takes guts!

Following the arrival of Santa and her reindeer and elves, spawn became a hotbed of activity. Notice how Charlie wants a Nerf gun for Christmas and tinkerbot is slaying one of Santa's little helpers :P

Nevertheless, just as the time warp had transported us to this alternate reality, it would return us to the present timeline that we once knew. Back to the future....

Thanks to all of the players that joined us yesterday for a brief glimpse into the history of JT2!

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:CryMaker's long-forgotten S51-inspired base on the outskirts of town was discovered by iisu. Since being demolished, however, this area has developed into a densely populated neighborhood.
To be precise, it's S521 and I don't know which of the two buildings was inspired by the other. He just built 2 similar buildings on 2 servers but which of them was first? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Both are long gone.
I managed to capture a local copy of some parts of the ancient map. The copy includes this building too and I think I have an idea of what to do with it. ;)

It was fun to explore the ancient map, interesting how relatively little has changed in a hundred years.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

My suggestion is to remove all owned nodes (chests, shops, mailboxes, doors, item portraits etc.) in unprotected areas around the spawn and maybe add a script to block placing them. I started this trend by placing my mailboxes in little unprotected pieces of land between protected areas around the spawn (one such spot is in a very corner of the spawn) and then I also placed shops on Main Street. After some time others started copying this idea from me and now shops and mailboxes around spawn are a small plague, it doesn't look good. Since I was the first to do it, I should end it. I took all my stuff and I'm ready to have my owned nodes removed.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

iisu wrote:
sorcerykid wrote: It was fun to explore the ancient map, interesting how relatively little has changed in a hundred years.
In actuality, it was only 71 years since December 23, 2016. To go back 100 years would require obtaining the map from August 10, 2016, the date of the server's inception. A century is equal to 500 real days (I just noticed there is a typo in my post above).

While it's true that spawntown is mostly the same, beyond 400 meters there was little to no development at all. So, in that respect, a great deal has changed.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hey everyone, just a few updates! First and foremost, I added a /top chat command to visually monitor server and player status in realtime, similar to the UNIX command of the same name. Players are listed in order of joining the game (from least to most recent).

There is also a dynamically generated satellite image on the first page of this topic.

The underlying map itself is rendered every 24 hours, but the player data is updated at 60 second intervals. For more frequent updates, of course, the homepage is the place to go. Enjoy!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

iisu wrote:My suggestion is to remove all owned nodes (chests, shops, mailboxes, doors, item portraits etc.) in unprotected areas around the spawn and maybe add a script to block placing them.
Thanks for the feedback. I have a two-fold solution in the works to address unprotected locked chests, vending & depositing machines, item pedestals, item portraits, item showcases, steel doors & trapdoors, and mailboxes that are littering the landscape.

As always, I prefer to avoid the admin intervention whenever possible, because I feel that undermines the anarchy and survival elements of the game. I really want the server to be predominantly self-sufficient.
    Exploding Eggs
    An exploding egg, when placed in world and exposed to direct sunlight (or any bright light source) for a period of time, will burst. All unprotected owned nodes in the area of the explosion will be destroyed. In the case of containers, this includes dropping the inventory. Nearby players and mobs will also be hurt by the explosion. The goblin mob will randomly drop exploding eggs if slain.

Skeleton Keys
    A skeleton key is a less destructive alternative to the exploding egg. When used on any unprotected owned node, the player may gain access to the node with the same privileges as the owner (except for digging). The inventory of locked chests and mailboxes can be moved and steel doors and trapdoors can be opened and closed. A skeleton key will be craftable with two gold ingots.
Players are strongly advised to move all their valuables to a protected area. Once these changes are implemented, I cannot promise that abandoned locked chests, steel doors, mailboxes, etc. will remain secure from theft and vandalism.

Beast24

by Beast24 » Post

what day will they be added sorcerykid

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hi all! I just discovered that the dynamic satellite images were overwriting the source files used by DataMiner, resulting in empty reports. Whoops! So, if you were seeing a bunch of 404 errors, that's the reason. I've resolved the conflicting file references, and manually republished the reports for today. The script completed with no problems, so all should be fixed. Many apologies for the mixup!

http://jt2.intraversal.net/dataminer/
Beast24 wrote:what day will they be added sorcerykid
I've got a few issues in the pipeline for this week, so I'll do my best to push the eggs and keys into production by Friday night. I'll be out of town next week for the holidays, so there will be a feature freeze after Sunday.

Beast24

by Beast24 » Post

ok thx sorcerykid

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Mailbox monitoring is ready to go live tonight!

The /mail chat command has been completely revamped. It will now show a delivery notification queue, including a list of your mailboxes currently being monitored (up to a maximum of 5) and the total number of new deliveries.

Whenever you receive new mail, you will be notified instantly in chat:
  • "You have (1) new mail delivery from sorcerykid at (-22,4,12)!"
In addition, you will be notified every time that you login to the server:
  • "You have (5) pending mail deliveries in your notification queue!"
By opening a mailbox, its delivery count within the notification queue will reset to zero, effectively marking it as "read". You may, however, continue to receive reminders of new mail for your other mailboxes until they too are opened.

On a sidenote, I incorporated sound fx for the opening and closing of mailboxes, so they're finally consistent with doors and chests :)

Attention Players:
Mailboxes will be updated automatically by use of a server-side LBM. However, since LBMs are known to be buggy, it may be necessary for some players to open their mailboxes and manually re-check the "Delivery Notifications" option to ensure that it is being monitored.