[Server] Just Test Tribute

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
51%
NO
49%

Total votes: 178

talamh

Re: Re:Nemos math.random() issue

by talamh » Post

Whoa check out the overheads on those functions; 19.3 and 17 times slower than math.random() respectively and that's a scripting language outperforming a compiled language! I would think that on the minetest side a simple function that redirects to rand() in the standard C library would suffice to solve any of lua random problems.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute (100 Years)

by sorcerykid » Post

I'll admit they seem poorly optimized for a game :-/ Of course, it's mostly infrequent cases where improvement is needed, since lack of randomness becomes more evident as the sample size increases (like the lighting and thunder routines, one can easily discern repetition).

talamh

by talamh » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I'll admit they seem poorly optimized for a game :-/ Of course, it's mostly infrequent cases where improvement is needed, since lack of randomness becomes more evident as the sample size increases (like the lighting and thunder routines, one can easily discern repetition).
On the subject of discernible repetition, audio software often deliberately inserts non-randomness into it's random setting as random sequences often look repetitive. Same song randomly played 4 times in a row for example. I only mention it as I'm curious as to whether your perfectionism does in fact have limits!

digger2
In-game: digger

Re: Re:Nemos math.random() issue

by digger2 » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
talamh wrote:Minor issue, I can't see what I am holding in my hand. I can see it briefly when I log on but then it no longer displays. Logged on using 2 laptops and an Android phone and all have the same problem.
Two other players have reported this same phenomenon. Given the symptoms, I suspect that it's a bug in either the wield3d mod or the 3d armor mod, but I'm still investigating. I appreciate the heads up.
I came across this bug several times when I tried to set a stair block while standing too close to the block that was being installed (or maybe while accidentally making an extra mouse click at the time of setting a stair block or just standing upon a stair block). The solution was to place a single stair block, come close or atop and make a right-click.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

As many of you know, I deployed the beta version of my snowfall mod last week which adds realistic precipitation in combination with the in-game weather simulator. I also refined the perlin noise parameters so air temperature and wind speed are somewhat more gradual.

Snow progressively accumulates outdoors when the air temperature is below freezing, otherwise it slowly melts and forms puddles. Rain can also accumulate during thunderstorms, forming puddles. The rate at which snow and rain accumulates will of course vary depending on the intensity of the storm. There is no way to gather rainwater with buckets, but it is possible to dig snow as usual, as long as it is not within a protected area.

Large bodies of water, like lakes and rivers, are also prone to ice formation. So be careful not to get trapped below the ice! Once the air temperature rises above freezing, however, then the surface will return to its liquid state. To prevent unintended griefing of protected areas, however, ice will only melt within 200 meters of spawn.

Due to the nature of voxel-based games like Minetest, two nodes can't occupy the same space. Therefore, I was forced to use some rather sophisticated tricks to achieve snow cover of fences, stairs, slabs, rails, etc. The end result, however, is well worth the effort.

Currently the snowfall mod is implemented entirely with ABMs. The primary shortcoming of this method is that map blocks must always be loaded and active. This has the potential to increase lag. However, I've spent considerable time optimizing and stress-testing the precipitation routines so CPU consumption is neglible (only about 0.008 seconds per minute is spent rendering).

Another experimental implementation of the snowfall mod is also in the works. It will operate completely independent of players, with no reliance on ABMs. However, it is a much larger scale operation. So server-wide snowfall or rainfall is obviously not feasible. Multiple weather systems within limited regions of the the map is a more viable option. Besides reducing overhead, this should prove more realistic. In addition, I'd like to introduce a /radar chat command so that players can easily track storm activity.

Here is a screencap from my secondary test server, that is currently devoted to R&D of the snowfall mod.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Hey SK! aidenminer needs his account unlocked due to activity and pretty please!
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Sure thing maike! Account for aidenminer is now unlocked. If you need anything else just ask :D

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

sorcerykid wrote: I was forced to use some rather sophisticated tricks to achieve snow cover of fences, stairs, slabs, rails, etc. The end result, however, is well worth the effort.
My moresnow mod does that as well. It doesn't come with any actual snowfall. You have to throw snowballs at the nodeboxes/meshes or let it be generated by handle_schematics. Roofs half-covered in snow look very nice.
A list of my mods can be found here.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Yep. I stumbled across the moresnow mod a few weeks ago. It was reassuring to see that you took a similar approach, since these are technically undocumented features. The biggest challenge, however, has been writing an algorithm to handle accumulation of snow (since there is no built-in method for determining what areas of the world are outdoors vs. indoors).

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I completed a major code refactoring last night. I finally parceled out all the chat commands and splash screen into their own mods, and consolidated the session handling routines into default. The reorganization was long overdue, but it should greatly simplify maintenance.

I tested everything thoroughly, but there's a chance that something might be broken as a result. So please notify me if you see anything that is obviously not right, so I can fix it :)

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

SK, out of curiosity, which IRL place is that weather app? Does it figure out based on your IP where your weather should come from, or is it one place for everyone?

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

SK

You did a major awesome tweak to the server, Aiden and I played tonight (recording was EFFED up with audio) and both LOVED all the ambient sounds and the snow, and the presents, and by jove had a blast!! Keep it up it rocks!!!

Aiden said you did an awesome job at the server and are the best, no joke, I will try to salvade the junk video and clip out the sound if possible :)

Audio levels were bjorked.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hi all, sorry for the long absence. My mom has been in the hospital the past week due to her cancer treatment. And I couldn't access Minetest from their wi-fi.

I plan to be back home later today since I've got a lot of catching up to do. However, my time online will probably be more limited now that she is undergoing chemotherapy. So the best way to get a hold of me is by PM.See you all soon!

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

Hi!
sorcerykid wrote:My mom has been in the hospital the past week due to her cancer treatment.
I am very sorry to hear this. I hope she will tolerate chemotherapy well and she will fight that cancer soon.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by Fixer » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
iisu wrote:The carts stopped working. I can place a cart on rails, get into it and get out but I can't make it go, whether I'm in or out and not even on a powered rail. And I can't pick it up from the rail, I have to walk away enough to let it drop as item. Can someone else confirm if they have same problems or if it's just me?
Mine carts had to be disabled temporarily due to stability issues. If all goes as planned, I am going to upgrade to the newest version of the boost_cart mod this weekend. Hopefully this also resolves the problems that players of Multicraft have reported.
BTW, carts are still disabled :(

why
GitHub: yansanmo
IRC: progysm
In-game: why

by why » Post

The new JagJag's Tower in the East:

Beast24
IRC: Beast24

by Beast24 » Post

Nemo last night my game said the server was down but I looked online I seen that server was still online but when I logged on in the morning all my stuff was gone and i was in the same exact spot I left the game and it never said I died or anything. I would not be worried if i did not have anything good but I had 11 rainbow and 125 gold and some protection blocks and some other things I dont remember

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

sorcerykid wrote:My mom has been in the hospital the past week due to her cancer treatment.
Thanks to everyone that sent words of support and encouragement for my mom!

It has been a very tiresome and stressful past few months for both of us, involving countless ER visits, hospital stays, doctor appointments, and medical tests. Since, many days are devoted to caretaking, that leaves much less time for playing Minetest than usual. However, there's a possibility that priorities could change, once we review the treatment plan with her doctor next week. So I'm crossing my fingers :)

While it's been a rollercoaster of a journey so far, I'm doing my best to keep the lights on at JT2! I can't express how much I appreciate all of our devoted players, because you've helped to make this server what it is today! Of course, I owe a debt of gratitude to our moderator team, Arisha_L and talamh, as they have been ever vigilant in my absense. Thank you both!

This past week I tackled a HUGE backlog of bug fixes to various mods: beds, stairs, bones, mobs, inventory_plus, launchpad, and zcg. I also dived back into C++ development on the Minetest S3 engine. I pushed six pending commits through last weekend, most dating as far back as February 2017, hence why the latest build is suddenly 12. Huzzah!

Thanks again everyone for your patience and understanding. See you in game!

talamh

by talamh » Post

Fingers crossed here too, wishing nothing but the best for you and your mom at this difficult time.

I'd like to express gratitude and amazement on not only my own behalf but surely on the behalf of many others for not only "keeping the lights on" but constantly working to improve jt2 even at this terrible time.

See you on the server!

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
Thanks to everyone that sent words of support and encouragement for my mom!

It has been a very tiresome and stressful past few months for both of us, involving countless ER visits, hospital stays, doctor appointments, and medical tests. Since, many days are devoted to caretaking, that leaves much less time for playing Minetest than usual. However, there's a possibility that priorities could change, once we review the treatment plan with her doctor next week. So I'm crossing my fingers :)
Yep, this is an obsession. With your mom being in the hospital and with all you've been being through with her you still think about MT and find time for it. :D
Fingers crossed.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Yep, this is an obsession. With your mom being in the hospital and with all you've been being through with her you still think about MT and find time for it. :D
Either I'll have time or possibly not. I won't know until tomorrow. The last week I have been fortunate to actually log in, altho mostly afk.

Arisha_L
In-game: Arisha_L

by Arisha_L » Post

We all sincerely hope you're all right, dear Nemo.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Well after a long absense im back, i had been playing on survival x with my fam but have eventually got tired of being robbed by cheaters constanty, and i miss the purely enjoyable simplicity aspect this server brings to Minetest. So if it isnt too much hassle id like all my accounts by ip wiped except stix (and my sisters account olivia_hope) so that if i can convince me family to play there will be enough ip slots left over (ive been told the default is 7). Ill be starting may 29, hope to see you all on the server soon!

*EDIT: why is the server still offline?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

JAG_JAG
In-game: JAG_JAG

by JAG_JAG » Post

I was wondering the same...

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

It is understandable that sorcerykid now has no time for something as airy & purposeless as managing a minetest server. Because the server is offline for so long, my fears are growing that something very bad is happening. However, I hope that the war with this horrible disease is still going on and that it will finally be possible to declare victory.

Take care sorcerykid!