[Server] Just Test Tribute (100 Years)

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
56
57%
NO
42
43%
 
Total votes : 98

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Fri Jul 21, 2017 20:50

Steel rods have been added as a craft item. One steel ingot within the crafting grid will output four steel rods (akin to wood for sticks).

Image

Steel rods are used in place of steel ingots for the following recipes:

Rail
Image

Power Rail
Image

Steel Ladder
Image

Steel Bars
Image

Thanks to v-rob for the texture, which I borrowed from the unicraft mod.
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Sun Jul 23, 2017 03:30

I would like to get some feedback about the situation with digger. This player has amassed numerous land claims in and around spawntown. Most of digger's properties consist of only a building shell a with uniform motif that is devoid of any functional purpose.

Image

While there is no prohibition on large-scale land claims, even those that are non-contiguous like these, it does raise some concerns about the effectiveness of the Anti-Squatter's Ordinance.

The properties highlighted in yellow were previously abandoned and reclaimed by the City with the intention of helping new players settle closer to spawn. Instead, they were all acquired by digger. The properties highlighted in red had pre-existing buildings that were unprotected. They were also acquired by digger and subsequently demolished.

Spawntown has become stagnant with empty and/or derelict buildings along every street. New players are being forced to the fringes of the city, and there is effectively no additional development taking place within 400 meters of spawn. As the situation with digger reveals, additional measures are clearly needed to help revitalize this region of town. I would be open to your suggestions.
 

User avatar
maikerumine
Member
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 14:27
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by maikerumine » Sun Jul 23, 2017 05:27

Upgrade squatters clause §3.127a : if ya build junk, it goes to the triash!
 

User avatar
iisu
Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 20:13
Location: Internet
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by iisu » Sun Jul 23, 2017 08:35

I know that pyramid near my property. It was just a skeleton when I came and it was still so for months until he finished it so it looks like maybe he does work on his builds, just slowly. Maybe he's not good with furniture and stuff so he just leaves empty shells.
Once I chased him for fun and he ran into his building south from Holiday Dr., by Suckers' possession. I assumed it was his home but now I recall I didn't even see chests in there which is pretty awkward. It's spacious, it's empty inside and yeah, it's garbage.

EDIT: Just as I thought, he also has a skeleton build on Broadmoor Ave, near the crossing with Valley Road. That build is older than me on this server and I've never seen it finished or even change a little.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
 

digger2
Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 19:43
In-game: digger

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by digger2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 20:22

sorcerykid wrote:I would like to get some feedback about the situation with digger. This player has amassed numerous land claims in and around spawntown.


This player has eventually taken a few tiny plots (mostly 1x1 or 1x2 protection blocks). This player also did it slowly and gradually during March-June without any complaints.

sorcerykid wrote:Most of digger's properties consist of only a building shell a with uniform motif that is devoid of any functional purpose.


Digger is a lousy architect but a proficient builder therefore he should not be judged for the lack of imagination. Digger also lacks time and resources to build everything at once. By the way, there are lots of really ugly buildings (not built by Digger) in and around spawntown and nobody really cares.

sorcerykid wrote:The properties highlighted in yellow were previously abandoned and reclaimed by the City with the intention of helping new players settle closer to spawn. Instead, they were all acquired by digger.


Well, I guess that I was the only new player who wanted to get plots near the spawn. As I said above I had not claimed all the plots at once as I had always lacked mese.

sorcerykid wrote:The properties highlighted in red had pre-existing buildings that were unprotected. They were also acquired by digger and subsequently demolished.


Since they were unprotected, they were usually partially or mostly destroyed. I can swear that I have not demolished anything valuable.


sorcerykid wrote:Spawntown has become stagnant with empty and/or derelict buildings along every street. New players are being forced to the fringes of the city, and there is effectively no additional development taking place within 400 meters of spawn. As the situation with digger reveals, additional measures are clearly needed to help revitalize this region of town. I would be open to your suggestions.


And there lots of ugly buildings and lots of empty plots belonging to inactive players within 400 meters of spawn. Digger, on the other hand, is a very active player =)
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Sun Jul 23, 2017 22:45

Some Android players are still reporting a gray screen when they connect using the Multicraft client. Can anyone confirm this and post a screenshot? I thought carts were at issue, but apparently it is something else.
 

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд
Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 15:05
GitHub: DaKurizz
IRC: Prototype
In-game: SuckerForPain

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд » Mon Jul 24, 2017 00:42

sorcerykid wrote:Some Android players are still reporting a gray screen when they connect using the Multicraft client. Can anyone confirm this and post a screenshot? I thought carts were at issue, but apparently it is something else.


Multicraft have own bugs, and glitches. It's just more lagy version of Minetest.
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Mon Jul 24, 2017 17:44

I fixed the lingering bug with the itemframes mod. After several hours of refactoring and testing, it should be much more stable and secure.

I also took this opportunity to add a Showcase, to complement the existing the Portrait and Pedestal. Now you can display your items in a professional steel-framed glass enclosure, much like you see in the big city stores. Here is AspireMint's ice cream stand, upgraded!

Image

To craft your own Showcase, just surround one glass with eight steel rods.

Image

These changes will go live tonight after the normally scheduled server restart!
 

User avatar
iisu
Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 20:13
Location: Internet
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by iisu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 19:24

@up: Afaik, you can do the same with pedestals by just placing a glass node on top.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Mon Jul 24, 2017 20:05

iisu wrote:@up: Afaik, you can do the same with pedestals by just placing a glass node on top.


The glass texture is different than the texture for the showcase (which is a solid, white frame with all faces drawtype). The other method also doesn't allow for glow boxes or any other full height nodes to be placed beneath the item like in the picture.
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Wed Jul 26, 2017 18:20

Copper rails were removed in the recent update to boost_carts mod, resulting in "unknown nodes". They should now be correctly aliased. Thanks to AspireMint and Arisha_L for the heads up. Sorry about the mixup!
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Thu Jul 27, 2017 19:17

I just completed work on a fully-featured chat history viewer for JT2. And it is ready to be deployed tonight!

Image

With the /chat command, you can view the entire chat history (up to 100 messages) or you can filter messages by a specific player as well as by PM or shout. You can also copy the output text directly to the clipboard.

With the /chat [search_phrase] command, you can search for messages containing only a specific phrase in addition to the existing filters. For more refined queries, DOS-like wildcards are supported: ? matches a single character, + matches one or more characters, and * matches any number of characters.

Image

Best of all, since the messages are stored server-side, it is possible to view chat history that occurred prior to logging in, including offline private messages. No more wading through pages of text just to catch up on any important discussions while you were away!

Although this mod is fully functional, it is also still in beta. So please notify me of any problems you encounter. Enjoy :)
 

User avatar
iisu
Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 20:13
Location: Internet
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by iisu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 22:43

Wow! I thought you meant you added a search option on the chat logs available on the website when you came to announce it in the game. I don't know why we need in-game chat logs especially since we have the logs available on the website but still big props for you for this mod.


I wanted to ask about it when you added the notify option to the mailboxes but I waited for somebody to gift me anything to one of my mailboxes while I'm online to see how those notifications work in first place (and I still have never seen such notification): can you make a notification appear when I log in and something has been put in my mailbox when I was offline?
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
 

User avatar
BBmine
Member
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:51
Location: USA
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 16:50

I don't know why we need in-game chat logs especially since we have the logs available on the website but still big props for you for this mod.


Thanks! The primary impetus for the tool was to aid moderation and administration. For example, copying text into a translator is impossible given the existing chat interface. On a multi-lingual server like JT2, however, this is near essential.

Also, the ability to search and filter text will be beneficial for assisting players, investigating abuse, and other responsibilities.

can you make a notification appear when I log in and something has been put in my mailbox when I was offline?


You should receive a notification in chat, if you are logged in. But perhaps I will add a reminder as well as a sound effect.
 

User avatar
iisu
Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 20:13
Location: Internet
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by iisu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 17:27

sorcerykid wrote:The primary impetus for the tool was to aid moderation and administration. For example, copying text into a translator is impossible given the existing chat interface. On a multi-lingual server like JT2, however, this is near essential.

[...], investigating abuse, and other responsibilities.

The same could be done with the chat logs already available on your website and a search option to those logs would most likely be easier for you to implement.
sorcerykid wrote:Also, the ability to search and filter text will be beneficial for assisting players

This is a valid point though.

sorcerykid wrote:You should receive a notification in chat, if you are logged in. But perhaps I will add a reminder as well as a sound effect.

That's how I think it works though I haven't had a chance to confirm it yet. What I mean is when I'm offline, it would be nice if the notification waited for me to log in.
Reminders once you've already seen a notification would be confusing though. You wouldn't know if you got a new delivery or if it's just a reminder. A sound effect sounds nice but I think just putting the notification in chat2 would do.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
 

User avatar
ManElevation
Member
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 22:04
Location: Madrid,Spain
GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 04:07

After careful consideration, the /tpr and /tphr commands have been depricated. Teleport request functionality is still available. But you must craft a Teleporter Staff. This adds a greater degree of challenge, and in my view is more fitting with the overall gameplay of JT2. The recipe for the Teleporter staff consists of two obsidian shards and a diamond:

Image

I also took this opportunity to change the appearance of the Protection Wand, so it actually looks like a stick with a mese crystal. This texture was borrowed from the magic_wand mod. The former texture is now used for the Teleporter Staff above (yeah, it's a bit confusing at first).

Image

Using the the Teleporter Staff is easy. Just wield the item like any tool and left-click (or tap on a mobile device). A formspec will appear with a drop-down list of players sorted by their relative distance from you, as well as a checkbox to invert the operation (teleport the player to you). The player can accept or reject your request within a 60 second timeframe by issuing a /tpy or /tpn command accordingly. The maximum range between players is still 1000m.

Image

This is another step in my efforts to prevent misuse of teleportation, particularly when it undermines the goal of survival (much like when I limited the range of the /spawn command a few months ago). For the same reason, I will also be revamping the teleporter pads this week.
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by ABJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:37

Awesome, SK! How about you add a feature that alerts players when mentioned in chat?
 

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд
Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 15:05
GitHub: DaKurizz
IRC: Prototype
In-game: SuckerForPain

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:27

sorcerykid wrote:After careful consideration, the /tpr and /tphr commands have been depricated. Teleport request functionality is still available. But you must craft a Teleporter Staff. This adds a greater degree of challenge, and in my view is more fitting with the overall gameplay of JT2. The recipe for the Teleporter staff consists of two obsidian shards and a diamond:

Image

I also took this opportunity to change the appearance of the Protection Wand, so it actually looks like a stick with a mese crystal. This texture was borrowed from the magic_wand mod. The former texture is now used for the Teleporter Staff above (yeah, it's a bit confusing at first).

Image

Using the the Teleporter Staff is easy. Just wield the item like any tool and left-click (or tap on a mobile device). A formspec will appear with a drop-down list of players sorted by their relative distance from you, as well as a checkbox to invert the operation (teleport the player to you). The player can accept or reject your request within a 60 second timeframe by issuing a /tpy or /tpn command accordingly. The maximum range between players is still 1000m.

Image

This is another step in my efforts to prevent misuse of teleportation, particularly when it undermines the goal of survival (much like when I limited the range of the /spawn command a few months ago). For the same reason, I will also be revamping the teleporter pads this week.


Nice
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 16:50

The same could be done with the chat logs already available on your website and a search option to those logs would most likely be easier for you to implement.


Perhaps, but PMs are not included in the chat logs. Also those archives have a 20-hour turnaround (since they are generated mid-day). So there really is no comparison with the realtime benefits of the in-game Chat History.

That's how I think it works though I haven't had a chance to confirm it yet. What I mean is when I'm offline,


For that kind of functionality, the mailbox mod would need to maintain a state table with associated logic for storage and retrieval. It's doable, but a pretty substantial undertaking. If I have time, I'll work on that down the road.
 

User avatar
iisu
Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 20:13
Location: Internet
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by iisu » Mon Jul 31, 2017 17:41

+ Spoiler

Woohoo! Finally we're getting rid of those ugly commands.

Cause who in real world screams something like "TPHR" in order to teleport? Teleport wands add some serious realism to JT2. :D
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
 

User avatar
BBmine
Member
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:51
Location: USA
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by BBmine » Tue Aug 01, 2017 00:40

iisu wrote:Woohoo! Finally we're getting rid of those ugly commands.

Cause who in real world screams something like "TPHR" in order to teleport? Teleport wands add some serious realism to JT2. :D

Um.... we don't teleport in real life. I think...
 

User avatar
iisu
Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 20:13
Location: Internet
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by iisu » Tue Aug 01, 2017 09:10

BBmine wrote:Um.... we don't teleport in real life. I think...

Just close your eyes, walk a few steps and open them. See, you're in a different position. In a blink of an eye, quite literally.
Practice this for longer distances.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
 

PreviousNext

Return to Servers



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests