[Server] Just Test Tribute (Minetest S3 Engine)

How many of you have ever played on Lag's original Just Test server?

YES
58%
NO
42%

Total votes : 126

sorcerykid

GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Just Test Tribute

by sorcerykid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 01:13

Wuzzy wrote:I don't believe that Perlin Hound is real until I see coordinates. :P

Sorcerykid, can you please tell me where you got the chest sounds? I would like to use them for my subgame, MineClone 2.

The sound effect for chests (and a few other ambient noises) are from Thief: The Dark Project. I wouldn't recommend publishing those as part of a subgame since the audio is copyrighted. In fairness, I shouldn't be using them on JT2 either. If anything, it's an homage of sorts :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 08:34

Here is the latest map of JT2. There's been a lot of building these past six months. Cheers!

Source File: http://imgur.com/UEkWuJA

iisu

GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:41

My house is on the map and I still haven't finished it. What a shame. :v

Nice park, Dreams.

PS, can we have an interactive map like Xanadu? http://vps1.jjayr.com/mt/mt02-xanadu2016/map
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Sat Jun 10, 2017 04:47

Thanks for the suggestion. If I find time, I'll see about implementing an interactive map. For now, a new map will be rendered every day after server restart and published on the official Website. Daily chat history and daily login summary are documented there as well.

http://jt2.intraversal.net/

BBmine

GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:50

sorcerykid wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. If I find time, I'll see about implementing an interactive map. For now, a new map will be rendered every day after server restart and published on the official Website. Daily chat history and daily login summary are documented there as well.

http://jt2.intraversal.net/

Wow! I love the chat history feature! Now I can find out if people be talkin' about me xD

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Sat Jun 10, 2017 22:51

Hi all, this coming Monday I'm going to be changing the server restart time back to 00:00 UTC (midnight). For players in the United States, that translates to 7 pm Central Daylight Time and 8 pm Eastern Daylight Time. It will be much easier for me to deploy manual updates to the server in the evening, rather than waiting till early morning when I am usually too tired or already asleep. Thanks!

BBmine

by BBmine » Sat Jun 10, 2017 23:09

sorcerykid wrote:Hi all, this coming Monday I'm going to be changing the server restart time back to 00:00 UTC (midnight). For players in the United States, that translates to 7 pm Central Daylight Time and 8 pm Eastern Daylight Time. It will be much easier for me to deploy manual updates to the server in the evening, rather than waiting till early morning when I am usually too tired or already asleep. Thanks!

I thought it was always 7 PM CDT..... But then, I haven't been playing in ages.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Mon Jun 12, 2017 01:31

I am proud to announce that Arisha_L, SerVesta, and IMS_BULLDOGS have joined our team of appointed moderators.

These three veteran players have a proven track record on JT2. And in their new role as moderators, I know they will serve our growing community well. In addition, Arisha_L is fluent in Russian and SerVesta is fluent in Spanish. A multilingual staff allows us to support a broader range of players from around the world.

I greatly appreciate the volunteer contributions of all our staff. Thank you for being an important part of the JT2 family!

* You can readily identify the appointed moderators in-game by their name green tag.

BBmine

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 23:35

As many of you know, the teleport and spawn commands now have a limited range. Although, I never made an official announcement about the change back in March, I know it was discussed in game at the time. Since there is still some lingering confusion, here are the specific restrictions on both commands:

/tpr and /tphr
    These commands have a maximum range of 1000m between associated players

/spawn
    This command has a maximum range of 1500m and a minimum range of 150m from the static spawnpoint.
Previously, players were using teleportation to collect resources from very remote locations, transfer them instantly back to their base, and then return to collect more resources. It was even possible for teams of players to travel vast distances across a series of remote locations using teleportation exclusively. Clearly, there is little skill to either of these techniques. And while teleportation has certain advantages, it shouldn't completely defeat the challenge of survival.

Of course, I'll continue to tweak these parameters to account for growth of the city and as player activity becomes less centralized. Thanks for your understanding!

BBmine

by BBmine » Wed Jun 14, 2017 00:06

sorcerykid wrote:As many of you know, the teleport and spawn commands now have a limited range. Although, I never made an official announcement about the change back in March, I know it was discussed in game at the time. Since there is still some lingering confusion, here are the specific restrictions on both commands:

/tpr and /tphr
    These commands have a maximum range of 1000m between associated players

/spawn
    This command has a maximum range of 1500m and a minimum range of 150m from the static spawnpoint.
Previously, players were using teleportation to collect resources from very remote locations, transfer them instantly back to their base, and then return to collect more resources. It was even possible for teams of players to travel vast distances across a series of remote locations using teleportation exclusively. Clearly, there is little skill to either of these techniques. And while teleportation has certain advantages, it shouldn't completely defeat the challenge of survival.

Of course, I'll continue to tweak these parameters to account for growth of the city and as player activity becomes less centralized. Thanks for your understanding!

But what if I'm deep in the mines??? :(

igoreg2005

In-game: igoreg2005

by igoreg2005 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:19

What happened to the server !? There was a new world and all things were gone, everything was gone. I went to the server as a noob. Just do not say that this is a server hacking

Arisha_L

In-game: Arisha_L

by Arisha_L » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29

OMG!!!!
What's going on ??????
Why new world ??????

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:32

Arisha_L wrote:OMG!!!!
What's going on ??????
Why new world ??????

I highly doubt the world is gone. Likely when server was started, the path to the world was missing. So the server will make a shiny new world to play in.
I did a quick visit. Spawn underground is a challenge. But it's survival right? Imagine you are on a TV show where you and a friend are dropped off in the middle of a harsh world with only your trusty machete and your vast survival instincts. And it's up to you to survive!

I have to say.... the map has a very nice seed. It's very pretty.
I'll bet SK will be able to fix very easy after she's woken up and tanked up on some coffee :P

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:47

Sorry about the downtime. We had another blackout last night (sucky power company sheesh), then the cable modem for our building went MIA again. When I restarted the server, I was half awake and didn't check the integrity of the world.

I'm going to restore everything from last night's daily backup, so only a couple hours of work should be lost. I'll also be running the server as a daemon from now on to ensure this won't happen again. It wasn't necessary before since my home Internet was far more reliable, so I could just keep a terminal window open at all times. Clearly that isn't an option any more.

EDIT: As it turns out, no data was actually lost. I was logged in as the wrong user. I've added a "sudo" to the shell script to fix that problem :)

Arisha_L

In-game: Arisha_L

by Arisha_L » Wed Jun 14, 2017 13:12

sorcerykid wrote:Sorry about the downtime. We had another blackout last night (sucky power company sheesh), then the cable modem for our building went MIA again. When I restarted the server, I was half awake and didn't check the integrity of the world.

I'm going to restore everything from last night's daily backup, so only a couple hours of work should be lost. I'll also be running the server as a daemon from now on to ensure this won't happen again. It wasn't necessary before since my home Internet was far more reliable, so I could just keep a terminal window open at all times. Clearly that isn't an option any more.

EDIT: As it turns out, no data was actually lost. I was logged in as the wrong user. I've added a "sudo" to the shell script to fix that problem :)

Thank you for a quick recovery ^_^

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Wed Jun 14, 2017 13:17

In my case it's always something simple. Usually a misplaced -- or # if I think I'm still in bash lol
Way to go SK :D

BBmine

by BBmine » Wed Jun 14, 2017 13:41

sorcerykid wrote:Sorry about the downtime. We had another blackout last night (sucky power company sheesh), then the cable modem for our building went MIA again. When I restarted the server, I was half awake and didn't check the integrity of the world.

Funny. I had a dream last night about a blackout at my house. Huh.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 00:18

BBmine wrote:But what if I'm deep in the mines??? :(

Good question! I already took that scenario into account. The spawn command is limited only along a horizontal plane. You can continue to mine as deep as your heart desires, then return to spawn like usual.

The teleport commands, however, are spatially limited since they calculate the distance between players in all three dimensions.

BBmine

by BBmine » Thu Jun 15, 2017 01:28

sorcerykid wrote:
BBmine wrote:But what if I'm deep in the mines??? :(

Good question! I already took that scenario into account. The spawn command is limited only along a horizontal plane. You can continue to mine as deep as your heart desires, then return to spawn like usual.

The teleport commands, however, are spatially limited since they calculate the distance between players in all three dimensions.

Yay! :D

iisu

by iisu » Thu Jun 15, 2017 15:39

I get some serious performance drops on JT2 that don't happen to me on other servers, even big ones like Xanadu. This is especially near the spawn where I have to limit FOV to 40 or 30 and during the Easter event when there were all the bunnies hopping around, I had to limit it even further to 20.
I suspect 2 things in particular: 3d objects and flowing water. The spawn area is built on a lake that is pretty griefed and there are large amounts of water flowing around and even down through the mining shafts on possibly large distances.

Sometimes water doesn't flow at all when you place a water source or remove one due to some glitch or something. Maybe if you could make it so it would never flow at the spawn area and then clear existing nodes of flowing water off the spawn area and anything below it, it would improve the performance.
Some servers have a rule against spilling water in mine shafts.

JT uses this mod for mailboxes: viewtopic.php?t=15155 It looks nice and doesn't use 3d objects.
And I just updated my Easter Eggs mod, reducing the sizes of the textures and adding an option to not use the 3d model for gold egg. Here's the link to my mod again, for convenience: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17213

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Fri Jun 16, 2017 22:31

iisu wrote:I get some serious performance drops on JT2 that don't happen to me on other servers, even big ones like Xanadu.

If you are experiencing low frame rates only on JT2 then I doubt the mailboxes are the culprit. Xanadu has substantially more 3d models (such as home decor) andalso uses the same mailbox mesh. I mean, it could certainly be a factor but likely a marginal one at that.

Minetest's inferior occlusion culling algorithm and its reliance on the CPU for generating textures is probably to blame for the consistently poor performance at spawn. Fixer summarized this issue a few months ago:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16836

I'm also aware of the problem with liquids not flowing, I just haven't been able to track down the cause. I suspect the transforming liquid queue is being maxed out (due to so many large bodies of flowing water concentrated around spawn). I'll try tweaking the liquid update settings in the server config again.

BBmine

by BBmine » Fri Jun 16, 2017 23:19

sorcerykid wrote:I'm also aware of the problem with liquids not flowing, I just haven't been able to track down the cause. I suspect the transforming liquid queue is being maxed out (due to so many large bodies of flowing water concentrated around spawn). I'll try tweaking the liquid update settings in the server config again.

JT has this problem too. It makes it take soooooo loooooong to grief :P

iisu

by iisu » Sat Jun 17, 2017 07:53

sorcerykid wrote:Minetest's inferior occlusion culling algorithm and its reliance on the CPU for generating textures is probably to blame for the consistently poor performance at spawn. Fixer summarized this issue a few months ago:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16836
I've been experiencing this problem for years and didn't even realize that! Every time I walked in an area with lots of large building or mountains I would have to disable full viewing range if I were using one (and on S521 I used it a lot because I could; later I learned not to use it). I thought that there's just more nodes in my sight and thus there's more to render, so the rendering takes longer and it's just the way things are. Never questioned it.

AspireMint

GitHub: AspireMint
IRC: AspireMint
In-game: AspireMint

by AspireMint » Sat Jun 17, 2017 09:34

Statue of "me" built by putney34. Thank you? :-D

its not me, i think it is bald Wolverine with 2 teeth :-D

PreviousNext

Return to Servers