Seting up a server

corwin59

Seting up a server

by corwin59 » Post

Hi everybody,

I have installed a minetest server on Debian with no problems, i can run it no problems too.
So i want to turn it into creative, i read on the wiki there's a minetest.conf to do that with cool parameters.
But there's not minetest.conf on my server, it's strange (i have performed a find) !

If someone can help me.

Regards.

CuriousNoob

Re: Seting up a server

by CuriousNoob » Post

Maybe download Example minetest.conf from the developers' GitHub then use that as a starting-point for your own customisations.

CN :o)

corwin59

by corwin59 » Post

You're right, but the strange thing is that i can't find this config file on my server.
The server is running anayway, so where's the default config ?

I have performed a

Code: Select all

find . -name minetest.conf
There's no results.

Regards

fillforget
In-game: fillforget

by fillforget » Post

hi corwin59,
maybe your minetest.conf is in an hidden folder.

In your file browser (like nemo), try crtl-h to see theses folders. Then you're be able to see all folders named by a dot.something, like .minetest. In .minetest, you can find your minetest.conf
or in terminal, in your home folder use cd .minetest then ls -l to see your minetest.conf

corwin59

by corwin59 » Post

Hi Fillforget, CuriousNoob

I have performed some search on the user folder with

Code: Select all

ls -al
I have the root privilege and i find nothing like minetest.conf, i'm going crazy :)

The config file is deleted after run ? It's very strange.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

It's been my observation that a minetest.conf isn't needed to run the server. If the minetest.conf isn't specified by your startup command, the server will look in various locations for it. I believe it even looks in the directory you are in when you launch from the terminal. So if you open a terminal and it's defaulting to your home directory, it will find it right there. If a minetest.conf is not found by the server on startup, the server will use the settings the devs have made default.
I have many different worlds on my LAN server on only one box that I run them on. Since each world contains different settings, I use different named .conf files. You can use any name you like, as long as the path to the file (and name) are included with the startup command.
So what I normally do is save a copy of minetest.conf.example as awesomeworld.conf, then edit the file to suite your needs.
Then I start the server with a command such as this:
minetestserver --world /home/exeterdad/.minetest/worlds/awesomeworld --config /home/exeterdad/.minetest/awesomeworld.conf

That's just a example of course. Everyone seems to have their own needs when running a server.

TARD
GitHub: kingtard
IRC: turd
In-game: TARD

by TARD » Post

My location is the same as ExteterDads. Try to " cd /home/username/.minetest " Just to see if that hidden folder exists. I know on Debian you have to switch to root for certain tasks so maybe your install is above /home/username. Try to search starting at ~

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Since you installed it with root (you have Debian), try "ls /home/rootname/.minetest". Also, if you've never run anything other than a minetest server with the command line on that computer, you might have to make a minetest.conf.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

No need to run as root with Debian unless you are using the service startup scripts. You can fire up a minetest server with a non-privileged user with the line I posted above. Your minetest directory would then be a hidden (dot) .minetest folder in that users home directory. But if I remember correctly the Debian start up scripts run the server as a (minetest?) user, not root. Root or su is just needed to start/stop the service.
My Linux Mint Debian Edition, uses Debian packages, so I have a pretty good feel of how it works. But I package my own debs from git, so they aren't exactly the same as I prefer not to use the service scripts.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I agree with others, you should have a ".minetest" directory in your home directory. That is where all user data is stored. I believe it is empty when Minetest is first installed, so you will need to create the "~/.minetest/minetest.conf" file and the "~/.minetest/worlds" subdirectory.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Come to think of it, just in case you aren't sure how to find/enter hidden files and directories....
In the console... ls -a The -a shows hidden files and dirs.
In many file browsers... Just hit Control+h It will toggle the mode needed to view hidden stuff.

SONOFSATAN
IRC: SONOFSATAN stevr59
In-game: SONOFSATAN

by SONOFSATAN » Post

look in etc/minetest that where my config file is at. or it not there just copy one from the developers' GitHub web site
SONOS Raspberry pi server nyx.no-ip.org:30001
SONOS -MT server www.swh59.com:30002