[Server] Must Test

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: [Server] Must Test

by Stix » Post

A: try it out for yourself, lower end computer will generally get more lag than high-end computers, so lag varies from player-to-player
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

GoldFireUn
GitHub: BluebirdGreycoat
In-game: GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Hello all! I have an announcement regarding the server. Starting sometime between 5 and 6 PM August 14, 2017 CST, this server will be temporarily off-line for about a week. It will return to operational status sometime near the end of August 22. My family is on vacation during this time, so obviously I won't be around to keep the hardware running.

In the meantime, happy mining on other Minetest servers!

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

The server is back online!

Our trip south went as planned. Among other things, we saw the solar eclipse, and we experienced totality for approximately 2 minutes (I had entirely forgotten to time it!). To commemorate our trip back, however, I want a shirt that says "I survived the 2017 eclipse traffic jam, without air conditioning". It was around 100 miles long!

Development on the server continues. My TODO list got a little longer during my vacation. Its growth was assisted by me watching survival videos maikerumine has recorded, as well as the discovery of a few bugs that will shortly be fixed.

I have received several requests to make the game code public. I am considering doing so; however there are obstacles to be overcome first. The main one is that I have to make sure I have not forgotten to include the OSS licenses of any mods, code snippets, or assets. I also do not wish to publish anything written by someone else without the proper attribution. The reason this information is missing is because I had not intended to make the source public, and I was very careless when putting others' code into the game. Originally, the server was only going to be for my family. Making it accessible from the 'outside' turned out to be fairly* easy.

*Difficulty is relative.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Gold.... Your trip south? I took a trip north. Did we see each other? I went to east TN.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Nope. Not likely. :)

Server updates:

1) Fixed item-duplication exploit in anvils, itemframes, & pedestals.
2) Hoed soil nodes converted to nodeboxes for added detail. I personally think they look MUCH better.
3) Leaves drop sticks in addition to previous normal drops that leaves give. Seemed reasonable.
4) Added gauge mod to display player health. Looks way better than looking at debug info to see HP.

angelo1123_
IRC: angelo1123_
In-game: angelo1123_

by angelo1123_ » Post

So I visited this server and it needs a new spawn asap I have some ideas for you(next post)
Mhk (mmm-kay) means okay.

angelo1123_
IRC: angelo1123_
In-game: angelo1123_

by angelo1123_ » Post

Here
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-08-23-09-03-57.png
Screenshot_2017-08-23-09-03-57.png (969.82 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
Mhk (mmm-kay) means okay.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Hi angelo! Thanks for your interest, but this server's spawn is already finished (its got 5 spawns, actually). I do have a plan to make 1 or more of them into an open sandbox, a bit like just test's unprotected spawn from days of yore.

Updates:
1) Added HUD clock (code from 'aftermath', by maikerumine). But I had to tweak it because I saw the code was doing something weird. :)
2) Items drop as entities when dug, unless near the player, in which case they go swiftly into your inventory without you needing to run around to get them.

Coming soon (TM): Some particle effects, for atmosphere and 'spice'. I promise to keep them low-key. No weather of any kind --- that's just asking for lag.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

As promised, particle effects are here. I like the lava particles the best, they make it seem more alive (as if it didn't look dangerous enough already). Particles for fire and torches are still in the plan.

The most noticeable change is tree trunks. All trunk nodes have been converted to nodeboxes, allowing me to "chop off" the vertical cubic corners. This means that whenever two trunk lengths are joined, there will be a shallow grove where the seam between the trunks is. You can imagine that clay chinking goes in there. :-) This change does cause one-time lighting bugs, which can be easily fixed by executing the mapfix command from the PoC, if your structure uses trunks in its construction.

Also, cactus hurts now, and has a new non-cubic shape. Don't get stuck on the spines!

Perhaps the most useful change is one I made to protection. From this point forward, any node that falls can afterward be dug by anyone, even if it lands in someone's protected zone. This means that if you accidentally drop stuff on one of my roads, you don't need to wait for me to logon to get rid of it. You can reclaim the fallen blocks yourself. :-) [On most other servers a node that falls onto protected land cannot be removed except by the landowner, thus requiring the landowner to logon in order to clean up their land.]

Additional changes are intended to appeal to the adventurous: you can now find chests with random loot spawned in mapgen dungeons. If you feel like your weapons and tools need names to commemorate their deeds, you can now rename them with nameplates and an engraving table.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

GoldFireUn wrote:As promised, particle effects are here. I like the lava particles the best, they make it seem more alive (as if it didn't look dangerous enough already). Particles for fire and torches are still in the plan.

The most noticeable change is tree trunks. All trunk nodes have been converted to nodeboxes, allowing me to "chop off" the vertical cubic corners. This means that whenever two trunk lengths are joined, there will be a shallow grove where the seam between the trunks is. You can imagine that clay chinking goes in there. :-) This change does cause one-time lighting bugs, which can be easily fixed by executing the mapfix command from the PoC, if your structure uses trunks in its construction.

Also, cactus hurts now, and has a new non-cubic shape. Don't get stuck on the spines!

Perhaps the most useful change is one I made to protection. From this point forward, any node that falls can afterward be dug by anyone, even if it lands in someone's protected zone. This means that if you accidentally drop stuff on one of my roads, you don't need to wait for me to logon to get rid of it. You can reclaim the fallen blocks yourself. :-) [On most other servers a node that falls onto protected land cannot be removed except by the landowner, thus requiring the landowner to logon in order to clean up their land.]

Additional changes are intended to appeal to the adventurous: you can now find chests with random loot spawned in mapgen dungeons. If you feel like your weapons and tools need names to commemorate their deeds, you can now rename them with nameplates and an engraving table.
Sounds like a good way to make your server slower than it already is :P (What is the cause of the slowness anyhow?)

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

I am keeping close tabs on the server's performance. But generally it's my network provider that's the bottleneck, not the server.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

GoldFireUn wrote:I am keeping close tabs on the server's performance. But generally it's my network provider that's the bottleneck, not the server.
Yep! And if you want a faster connection, they make you pay through your nose :P

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Greetings again!

More updates have been made; some are bugfixes, some were long in the planning, and some I thought of adding only recently. Here are the most important.

1) The stack limit has been changed from 99 to 64. I am fully aware this will be unpopular. I always wanted a smaller stack limit (99 is too high) but I had not made the change before because a certain player would have promptly left. That player no longer plays for various other reasons, so I have gone ahead and changed it. The number 64 was chosen because there is already an obvious precedent. For a while, I was seriously considering making the limit 32.

Important caveat: due to a bug in Minetest, if you have a stack over the limit, you MUST NOT shift+click on it! That will cause the server to trash the excess items. Instead, use the mouse and split the oversize stacks manually. This is confirmed safe.

That being said, I will reimburse players for items lost this way; just send me a mail in-game.

With that bit of bad news out of the way, I present the other major updates:

2) You can now respawn up to 16 times before the home position set with your bed will be lost. Previously you could only respawn in your bed twice, which was a pain because it was easy to forget to sleep again. The code managing this was also buggy, and sometimes did not work! It is now fixed, and the server also lets you know after each respawn how many respawns you have left. Sleep in the same bed again to refresh the count. In addition, while in the nether you may sleep at any time of day, since there is no day/night cycle there.

3) The light-level needed to grow firetrees has been reduced by 1, allowing you to grow these trees with just torchlight. They are the only trees that will grow deep underground.

4) Don't drop your pickax in the lava!

5) You now move faster on roads than off-road. Sprinting on a road surface is faster than sprinting in off-road places. Roads, currently, are made out of stone or rackstone. Additional road surfaces may be added in the future. This change is intended to encourage strategic road-building. Carts remain the fastest way to travel, short of using portals or teleporters.

And finally,

6) Read this carefully! Locked chests are now temporarily unlocked whenever their owner opens them. A locked chest is unlocked only when it visually OPEN. While a locked chest is VISUALLY open, any player can access it, move items, put items, take items. Any player may continue to keep a locked chest open and unlocked as long as they do not close the formspec, even if the original owner leaves the game. Closing a chest restores it into a locked state and it cannot be opened again except by its owner. To lock a chest that has a lock, simply close it. If a chest cannot be visually opened (for example, there is an obstructing block above it), then it does not enter the visually open state and therefore remains locked against other players.

This change allows cooperating players to easily share items while they are together, without going through the tedium of using an intermediary public chest, or using a full-blown shareable locked chest (the iron chest). However, beware of opening your locked chests while in the presence of a thief! Otherwise you will find yourself hunting the culprit down to reclaim stolen items.

Have fun!

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Hello all!

Version "2" of Technic is here, and replaces version "1" (which was itself a re-implementation of Original Technic's power-networks). Among other things, most of Technic's machines have been introduced, with only a few (like the CNC machine) still in waiting. The power-network code has been optimized as much as possible, and should suffer from none of the lag-causing issues that plague the original Technic mod**.

Version 2 is not quite as feature-rich as Original Technic, but a lot better than the previous version 1 that existed on this server. More features and tools will come in time. Already there are improved textures, and some machines have detailed node-box shapes while not severely departing from the cube aspect (battery boxes, for instance).

** Caching and buffering are heavily used, and unlike in Original Technic, only parts of a network that players are nearby will actually run. Networks created by different players will not connect with each other (a machine to provide this specific kind of connection is in the works).Unloaded parts will place no demand on server resources. Huge networks are sharded into smaller pieces.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Hello all,

Starting at 6 PM CST on Sept 30, this server will go off-line for 24 hours until 6 PM CST on Oct 1. I will not be available to fix bugs/talk to players. Family holiday! Also, some router/hardware maintenance will take place in the interim. As usual, all your stuff is safe and secure.

Edit: until 7 PM CST Oct1. 25 hours.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

On October 15, 2016, I set out on an expedition to explore the desolate, arctic frontier known as "Must Test". Since today evidently marks the anniversary of this server, I decided to share a few of my earliest memories.

This is one of the only surviving photographs of the Colony Square as it formed from the surrounding tundra. There were but a handful of residents at the time, including myself, Prairiesky, Zorg, and LaserJet.

When I first arrived at the new settlement, I was greeted by MustTest. We exchanged introductions and he confirmed my identity. I also examined the Colony Legal Code, which was altogether standard fare being inspired by the original just test -- no cheating, no hacking, no dating, and no cursing.

In a frigid wasteland like Must Test, a shelter is essential for hardcore survival. I spent the first few hours gathering cobble, sticks, and coal to build a rudimentary base at the southwest corner of Colony Square. It's nothing spectacular, but at least it provided protection from the elements (not to mention the ruthless natives, known as Ice Monsters).

Prairiesky was generous enough to donate dirt, which was a valuable commodity in this seemingly barren landscape. Some rare materials were also gifted by Must Test himself, since they were not naturally occurring at the time.

In order to obtain saplings, grass, and flowers required many hours scouting the remote, mountainous terrain. It was simultaneously beautiful but perilous even during the daylight hours.

After an entire day of mining and farming, I was finally able to begin construction on a proper home. The design was inspired by my cottage at the Northern Outpost on JT2 :D

MustTest worked diligently at all hours of the day, squashing bugs and testing new features. Among his earliest projects was customizing the growth code of saplings. In fact, the leaves of this douglas fir tree served as a template for "lush grass", which I used extensively in my first farm (it was much cheaper to obtain than actual dirt).

MustTest clearly had a penchant for starting fires too, even if it was just an excuse to stress-test the server's anti-grief routines ;D

After several grueling expeditions to the outback in search of wheat, cotton, and grass I was able to build a proper farm along with an adjacent barn to store my growing supply of materials.

Of course much has changed since cobbling together my first base (no pun intended). Since that time I've constructed a bank, a general store, and pub at spawn. I also expanded my farmland threefold including the recent addition of a plantation house.

The original cottage is much cozier too, surrounded by lush vegetation, trees, and a nearby privacy hedge. It's almost indistinguishable from the earliest days being bordered entirely by a frozen wilderness :D

Suffice it to say, Must Test caters specifically to the most dedicated and determined of players. Thanks to a fully customized subgame and otherworldly environment, it is well beyond an ordinary challenge. But with enough patience and persistence, the gameplay can also be highly rewarding.

For me, however, the most appealing aspect of Must Test is the comradery. While it's not a popular server, nor does it pretend to be, the colony has evolved into a close-knit community. Moreover, it is home to many familiar players from just test as well as JT2 and ESM including Minetest veterans like Prairiesky, DragonsVolcanoDance, Nakilashiva, Meechie, Treeman, maikerumine, 843jdc, kumma, SolDeNoche, Zorg, CAMc, AndDT, botumin, and of course GoldFireUn.

Using wits and ingenuity, together we build, mine, and farm in the harshest environment known to humankind.

We must test survival on the coldest seas.

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

I decided to edit this post as I did not want to scare others interested in this server and do not want to disturb the developing sorcerykid`s story about cottages, walls and castles ;)

In this post, I was terribly complaining about the latest changes implemented by the server owner. These changes included dramatically decreased speed of walking which limited long map exploring as well as short walking to near targets. (Also technic mod implementation update introduced a voltage transformer instead of original supply converter and I had no idea how to properly configure it). Since then, these problems have been fixed and/or I've changed my attitude.
Last edited by parasite on Tue Dec 05, 2017 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Clearly I need to pay attention to the forum more frequently. Also, I really like sorcerykid's screen pics!

I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems, @parasite. :( But your post has convinced me I need to add a sled mod. I thought of adding one a while back but it didn't seem necessary so I put it off. The slow walk through snow is intentional, though; it's not just an attempt at realism, it also reduces the tendency of new/transient players to wander extremely far and thus grow the size of the map file. This way I don't need to add an arbitrary boundary to the map. I decided not to use mapshrink so whatever is explored, stays permanently. I thought that if players were going to walk through the same stretch of snow repeatedly that they would just build roads or teleports.

Problems with the custom Technic I'm ok to solve as they come up, just send me mail in-game. I realize there's no documentation and it works differently from all other servers with Technic, so there's bound to be confusion. :( Unavoidable but I will add hints and tips to the machine descriptions, and maybe that will help with the most common problems.

Mining -- especially deep mines -- was meant to be helped by the vertical obsidian gate/portals (similar to the portals on just test). They create return gates and will teleport you to random locations which allows you to travel between different ore regions quickly -- and you can chain them fairly cheaply. They're not good for finding the shallow types of ores though, in which case the fastest mine is one using stairs, not rope. They don't cost anything to use except gradually using up your flint & steel. Their only big downside is that you need to keep them secret (or 'lock' them).

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

GFU, try clicking the "Subscribe topic" button on the bottom (Assuming you check your emails every day :P)

parasite

by parasite » Post

I decided to edit this post because I already started editing previous post lol. This is funny forums feature. This post can be much shortest.

Hello!

I want to say that I appreciate your hard work with customizing this game (mods). All your work is fantastic, (...)
GoldFireUn wrote:The slow walk through snow is intentional
Yes, I know. That doesn`t make it easy!
GoldFireUn wrote:it also reduces the tendency of new/transient players to wander extremely far and thus grow the size of the map file.
(...) It reduces all trips right now. (...) You are fighting against your own game! Players - at least players like me - are punished just for trying to acquire some saplings or seeds, some ores other than available in spawn chunks. Players are punished just for trying to fulfil the basic task demands described in the plot, for playing the role written in the beggining. Must Test story is based on far, long expeditions! (...)

GoldFireUn wrote:I realize there's no documentation and it works differently from all other servers with Technic, so there's bound to be confusion.
That is OK. It is good to find some things working the same in all servers, but also it will be boring if all things would be the same. I had big fun with researching technics circuits. (...)

I also must say that I was impressed how you introduced new technic into old one. Old machines did not disappear nor change into unknown items. They still works! But when you destroy old versions of machine and find them in the inventory, that machine will be updated then, so you can put it back into a network as a new, updated version. That is very smart update!
GoldFireUn wrote:Mining -- especially deep mines -- was meant to be helped by the vertical obsidian gate/portals
Of course I know it. I created and used some portals. But I didn`t find it useful. It can take you a few hundreds node down, or up. But mostly it load you just a few tens nodes down or up. If you want to go from 0 to -1000, you will need tens, tens and tens portals! It is much cheaper and faster just to dig a vertical mineshaft. New portal teleport you to a different place. That is how you can teleport to a new map chunk - you do not need to travel far, far away by legs to make a map grow bigger. Just build a few portals. At least for me portals are funny (but a little risky too) way to go to some new place in horizontal level rather than vertical.
GoldFireUn wrote:your post has convinced me I need to add a sled mod
Well, I do not think it will be good idea as I am affraid it could make a gameplay more laggy! But you had proved that you are very skilled and persistent coder so I can be wrong

Anyway, thanks for great game. I hope I will someday accommodate to changes.
Last edited by parasite on Tue Dec 05, 2017 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

@parasite You make a valid point about the exploration/travel mechanic and the slow-walk through snow being contrary to it. I am going to have to think more carefully about this than I did the first time.

Already I have an idea for a solution, besides adding sleds. Will need to run tests to know if it is viable.
I created and used some portals. But I didn`t find it useful. It can take you a few hundreds node down, or up. But mostly it load you just a few tens nodes down or up. If you want to go from 0 to -1000, you will need tens, tens and tens portals! It is much cheaper and faster just to dig a vertical mineshaft.
That sounds like you encountered some bad luck. The chance of being teleported downwards (or upwards) with these portals is the same as your chance of being teleported sideways. My portals (in-game: GoldFireUn's) reach -7500 in just 3 hops. (1st one goes to -4k, 2nd to -2k, 3rd to -7k.) But do note that due to the ore generation algorithm, traveling sideways is close to being equally important as traveling downwards.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

I've added a restart script to the server. It will now restart at 12:00 AM every night without preamble.

The reason this wasn't implemented before is because I was a) lazy, and b) there wasn't a game requirement for it. Now there is: snowfall and snowmelt.

Must Test has 2 basic seasons from this point forward, with a 34-day cycle (realtime). During 10 of those days the snow is melted enough to allow travel at normal speeds. For 8 days the snow is mid-depth and slows travel slightly. For the remaining 16 days the snow is deep (up to full-node height) and slows you down the same amount that snow caused slowness previous to this update.

For the same 10 days that snow is melted or mostly melted, icemen will not come out at night, allowing players to travel during moonlight without being mobbed.

I've updated the website to reflect this in the server description. Don't worry about lag -- the implementation uses no runtime processing. :)

A sled is still at the top of my todo list for those who absolutely, positively, must walk 20 nodes to their tree, even in 3-foot snow. :P Unless I manage to mess it up somehow it should have the same responsiveness as a boat.

Hopefully this gives the impression that temperatures in the world hover constantly around 32 deg F, since there are a few plants growing. I've always imagined it that way.

Edit: changed PM to AM.
Last edited by GoldFireUn on Sat Oct 28, 2017 05:06, edited 1 time in total.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Also, if anyone was wondering, the reason the server hasn't been reachable for nearly a full day is because our ISP hasn't fixed it yet. Maybe a branch fell on a line somewhere, IDK.

parasite

by parasite » Post

Hello!
GoldFireUn wrote:That sounds like you encountered some bad luck. The chance of being teleported downwards (or upwards) with these portals is the same as your chance of being teleported sideways. My portals (in-game: GoldFireUn's) reach -7500 in just 3 hops.
OK, let it be called the "bad luck hypothesis". It is good reason to perform some new tests on the coldest seas. Thanks!
GoldFireUn wrote:Must Test has 2 basic seasons from this point forward, with a 34-day cycle (realtime). During 10 of those days the snow is melted enough to allow travel at normal speeds. For 8 days the snow is mid-depth and slows travel slightly. For the remaining 16 days the snow is deep (up to full-node height) and slows you down the same amount that snow caused slowness previous to this update.
Sounds interesting and complicated. I must say that I was fascinated with minetest numerous biomes, with some own properties like trees species. Especially when some mods make it more complex, like weather (especially rain with sounds), biome_lib (with temperature) or ethereal. But it always missed something for me. All those minetest worlds are lacking some kind of longer peroid changes - but what changes, I can`t say, I do not have any specific idea on what it should be. But now you give such idea and produced specific code for it. That kind of periodic climate changes can make the gameplay more complex, maybe players now should be more carefoul when planning some kind of their activities. Yea, and periodic climate changes can also be used to modify in subtle way more aspect of gameplay in the future, like different chance to find some kind of saplings or other items, to win battle with mob or whatever, making it depended on a specific climate peroid. For example:
GoldFireUn wrote:For the same 10 days that snow is melted or mostly melted, icemen will not come out at night, allowing players to travel during moonlight without being mobbed.
But isn`t it too simple?

I didn`t have the opportunity to test the gameplay with this update yet, but I am wondering if it would be interesting to have some kind of craftable calendar which could show the name of current snow peroid and count the remaining days. It could display such data on a screen, I mean as a hud items, like time is visible in a hud. Player could keep such calendar item in a main inventory slot to display data. Another solution is to display such data once in formspec after punching calendar node. Or whatever.

Well, that climate/snow recurring changes, with such long, real month cycle, seems to be another interesting idea for testing on the coldest seas.
GoldFireUn wrote:Hopefully this gives the impression that temperatures in the world hover constantly around 32 deg F, since there are a few plants growing. I've always imagined it that way.
Well, that is good. If temperatures were below 32 F, I think that armor only will not prevent from getting pneumonia and following death in a world without any kind of clothes lol.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Must Test has a calendar!

As you can see, it is currently the middle of the snow season.
The epoch starts Oct 1, 2016. But carefully note that Must Test years are *longer* than real years due to having 34 realtime days in every month.
Did I mention that date math is complicated?