[Server] Must Test

GoldFireUn
GitHub: BluebirdGreycoat
In-game: GoldFireUn

[Server] Must Test

by GoldFireUn » Post

--== Introducing "Must Test", a Stone-World Server ==--

Server description: I must test survival, upon the coldest sea. This is inspired by Lag's original server, but is not a clone. Like the original it aims to be self-moderated as much as possible, except for hackers. Hackers will be PUNISHED. See rules for specifics.

[This post may be updated with important information from time to time.]
* Update 2016-12-22: Updated server information.
* Update 2017-7-1: This post will no longer be updated. Check the page at http://arklegacy.duckdns.org for updates! I will still post important updates onto the end of this topic, of course.

This world is backed up weekly, every Saturday. At this time, all accounts of players which have not crafted and kept a citizenship token will be erased. Check the craft-guide in-game for how to make one. Be sure to keep it in your inventory!

Server inspired by Andrey "lag". Thanks Andrey!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10539

Credit also goes to "maikerumine" for creating the JT2 server, which is now hosted by "sorcerykid"! Some ideas (including textures) come from that server.
Image Image
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15334

Maikerumine ("maikerumine") posted YouTube videos of this server. Thank you, Maikerumine!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr5kW0A ... hsq4Kx2OsO

This is a hard survival server. In this world exploration is important. This is how you find flowers and saplings. You can make stone tools before you get your first tree by hunting for dry shrubs. Dry shrubs can be crafted into sticks, and you can use your first pick to dig enough cobble to make stone tools. Watch out for the mobs! Be sure to check the craft-guide which is part of your inventory.

This server uses the entire "minetest_game" but heavily modified for improved survival gameplay. Many additional mods are added.

Some of these include (all modified from their originals and/or completely custom):

* Mobs
* Teleports (*heavily* modified)
* Markers
* Nether (still a work-in-progress)
* Bandages
* Protectors
* Carts
* Moretrees (not laggy)
* Moreores (yum, ores!)
* Moreblocks
* Antisneak (modifies the behavior of the sneak control)
* ... Many more

The ore generation code has been heavily changed from what most players are used to on other servers. Instead of generating at perfectly predictable depths, each ore has a 3D "map" (like swiss cheese) which determines where it spawns. Depth is still important (dig below -1024 to find mese blocks), but each ore now generates regionally, and there will be regions without a specific ore type. Thus you can find, for example, iron in one mine but no copper, and in another mine, copper can be found but no iron. There are several ore types added on top of the default ores, and this method of ore generation is used to avoid the problem of "rainbow caves", in which players always find all ore types in a single cave. On average, each cave will have only 2 or 3 ore types at once.

Rules are below, following the colony map.

Map Image (Taken 2016-12-20):

--== Colony Legal Code ==--

1) No swearing, cursing, or foul talk. NO crudity! Keep adult talk to yourselves; do not write it in chat. NO spamming. If you go dating, keep it in PM -- don't broadcast it to the world.

2) Griefing of unprotected houses and PvP are permitted. To prevent griefing, protect your stuff! If you don't like PvP, either use your sword, or go somewhere else.

3) Do *NOT* build over other players. Do not build bridges through the sky. Floating structures, sky builds, and 1x1 towers will be removed (or moved to ground-level) *without notice* if discovered.

4) Do not ask for priviliges or free stuff. Do not ask to be a moderator or an admin. This is a PvP survival server. Everyone must get their own stuff, no exceptions. Go mining, slay monsters! (Note: sneak glitch is disabled.)

5) Minor cheaters will be punished in subtle, creative ways. If you hack, you will not be called out by the admin. Punishment will be dealt unexpectedly.

6) Severe hackers will be banned. Note: no one will be banned based on hearsay. The admin will confirm all hacking reports visually.

The admin's name is 'MustTest'. These rules can also be seen posted on the obsidian obelisk at spawn and 4 other locations.

--== Hosting ==--

This server is privately hosted on a relatively powerful laptop with 2 750GB Solid State Drives & 4 physical CPU cores with hyper-threading (for a total of 8 logical cores) @ 2.2 GHz. OS is Kubuntu Linux 16.04 with lots of customizations.

The server version is 0.4.14-dev. It is generally kept up-to-date with latest Git HEAD. You will probably need a recent client to be able to connect.

Server media is hosted remotely.

Important: THIS SERVER'S IP ADDRESS IS DYNAMIC. IT WILL CHANGE FROM TIME TO TIME. No IP address information is provided in this post because it will quickly go out of date within a few days.

To find this server, go to http://servers.minetest.net and hit Ctrl+F (FireFox or Chrome) and search for 'Must Test'. You will find its IP address in the left-most column. If no entry appears then wait awhile, it will reappear soon. If the server is actually down for maintenance, I will post on this forum topic saying so. :-) The port number (not displayed) is always the same: PORT 30000.

As of 2016-12-20, this server is 80 days old.

--== End ==--

A screenshot of spawn:

Have fun!
Last edited by GoldFireUn on Sat Jul 01, 2017 23:06, edited 4 times in total.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Server] Must Test

by sorcerykid » Post

Hey great to see you my friend! Sorry I haven't logged in for awhile, just been super, super busy with work on top of trying to learn the ropes of server administration in order to resurrect JT2. Very tiring!

I hope you will keep my spot warm, as I look forward to returning soon as MT is one of my favourite servers! I'm keeping the lights on at your base on JT2 as well. All is safe and secure :)

Kudos on the great work!

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

I'm really glad to hear from you sorcerykid! I knew there had to be a reason you weren't around. :-) Your base is quite safe apart from some snow that someone dumped on it. Hope to see you soon!

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Thanks for posting a topic for Must Test! I love this server. It's scary/nice to see MustTest talking even when he's not on :).

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Now worries, not upset or anything. I just get in a hyper-focusing tunnel-vision whenever I start work on another project (blame it on my OCD). I've really missed seeing you as well as DVD, Naki, 843jdc, MTZ, and Prairiesky!

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I've really missed seeing you as well as DVD, Naki, 843jdc, MTZ, and Prairiesky!
I actually see DVD everyday (not on Minetest). Who's MTZ? I miss the others you've mentioned. The best place to see Gold, DVD, Naki, Meechie, Treeman (never seen him), and Prairiesky is on this server.

843jdc
GitHub: jdc843
IRC: jdc843
In-game: 843jdc

by 843jdc » Post

I *love* this server. This server and JT2 are my hideouts from the insanity of Cash's world.
I hope to be back to these servers soon. I have problems on CW to fix first: preexisting problems and others caused by installing current git server and mods.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

I'd like to report that this server now (finally) has 3D armor. Several people requested it in the past, but I didn't want to add the mod for fear of having to rewrite the damage code everywhere else. It turns out the problems that needed fixing were far fewer than I thought there would be.

Also, (belated) happy new year!

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

GoldFireUn wrote:I'd like to report that this server now (finally) has 3D armor. Several people requested it in the past, but I didn't want to add the mod for fear of having to rewrite the damage code everywhere else. It turns out the problems that needed fixing were far fewer than I thought there would be.

Also, (belated) happy new year!
You installed it today? I checked today just for fun and crafted some armor, but didn't know you'd actually installed it today. Thanks!

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Hello, GoldFireUn, your server is only stone, but how to get any wood to make swords, pickaxes, shovels and other things?There aren`t have trees for it

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Andrey01 wrote:Hello, GoldFireUn, your server is only stone, but how to get any wood to make swords, pickaxes, shovels and other things?There aren`t have trees for it
Look at your craft guide for sticks to make the tools (axes at first). What I did as far as trees is I found some unprotected leaves and got saplings from that. Then I took the sapling and planted a tree. I found out you can't chop trees with your bare hands, so I crafted sticks somehow. Then I made an axe and chopped the wood. Easy from there :). You could try looking in the craft guide and see if you can make saplings some way or another.

Hope this helps!

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Hi Andrey01! If you explore far from spawn, you'll find lots of dry shrubs scattered around the landscape. You can craft these into sticks by placing 3-in-a-row (horizontally or vertically, if memory servers). This is how you can get sticks (and therefore tools) before you get your first tree.

You can also find saplings and other goodies by exploring, too. This is how the first people to play on this server got trees, before it became possible to snitch unprotected leaves.

LaserJet
In-game: LaserJet

by LaserJet » Post

Andrey01 wrote:Hello, GoldFireUn, your server is only stone, but how to get any wood to make swords, pickaxes, shovels and other things?There aren`t have trees for it
is it maikurmaines? i thought it was musttest? or are they the same person.
In order, LaserJet, RubyJet, and xYOSIYAx are my usernames with my currently used one is xYOSIYAx (because I had to have the same username everywhere). You may call me xY or my username

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

LaserJet wrote:
Musttest and GoldFireUn are the same person, just like maikerumine and abba are (were) the same person.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

BBmine wrote:
LaserJet wrote:
Musttest and GoldFireUn are the same person, just like maikerumine and abba are (were) the same person.
Correction... abba is SKYNET. I never was abba, nor the admin of JT2. ;-)
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

maikerumine wrote:Correction... abba is SKYNET. I never was abba, nor the admin of JT2. ;-)
WHAT!?!? All this time, I thought you were the admin of JT2 before giving it off to sorcerykid. Either I was deceived this whole time, or you're confused. Also, who's skynet?

LaserJet

by LaserJet » Post

maikerumine wrote: Correction... abba is SKYNET. I never was abba, nor the admin of JT2. ;-)
at first i thought abba was a person (if you look in my very first post you will see) then i thought abba was maikerumine but its really skynet!! so who is he/she
In order, LaserJet, RubyJet, and xYOSIYAx are my usernames with my currently used one is xYOSIYAx (because I had to have the same username everywhere). You may call me xY or my username

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

LaserJet wrote:
maikerumine wrote: Correction... abba is SKYNET. I never was abba, nor the admin of JT2. ;-)
at first i thought abba was a person (if you look in my very first post you will see) then i thought abba was maikerumine but its really skynet!! so who is he/she
Actually, someone told me that maike is just lying (like ExerterDad)

stoneminer
GitHub: sm31
IRC: stoneminer
In-game: stoneminer

by stoneminer » Post

BBmine wrote:
LaserJet wrote:
Actually, someone told me that maike is just lying (like ExerterDad)
:)
Last edited by stoneminer on Wed Jan 11, 2017 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

stoneminer
GitHub: sm31
IRC: stoneminer
In-game: stoneminer

by stoneminer » Post

--deleted post--
For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

LaserJet

by LaserJet » Post

i decided what quicker way than to burn down my farm had to restart. well camc is the one who started the fire with an arrow that blows up. THANKS CAMC!!
Screenshot_2017-02-11-18-23-34.png
Screenshot_2017-02-11-18-23-34.png (519.66 KiB) Viewed 5045 times
Screenshot_2017-02-11-18-23-19.png
Screenshot_2017-02-11-18-23-19.png (355.57 KiB) Viewed 5045 times
Screenshot_2017-02-11-18-23-04.png
Screenshot_2017-02-11-18-23-04.png (400.73 KiB) Viewed 5045 times

843jdc
GitHub: jdc843
IRC: jdc843
In-game: 843jdc

by 843jdc » Post

Is SKYNET now attacking the MustTest server now? I guess SKYNET has finished "absorbing" the JT2 server and is moving on to another server.
Oh No! We can't hide from SKYNET!
/me has horrified look on his face

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Every time you trash a cobble, a rock falls from the sky.

. . . Would it be too annoying if that idea were to become reality? :P

Also, I am slowly integrating the non-lag-inducing parts of Technic into the game code. Maybe in a few weeks I'll have a lag-free implementation of Technic's power-networks (using wireless connections and 0 ABMs). Currently just the ores are added!

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

SkyNet has already officially taken over JT2 a few months ago. Although due to a treaty disagreement, we partially under Borg rule as well..

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Server will be down for a few hours April 25. Router maintenance.

Edit: all done!