Re: [Server] Must Test

by BBmine » Post

34 realtime days?

GoldFireUn
GitHub: BluebirdGreycoat
In-game: GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Well yes. Because the season changes slightly every realtime day, and there are 16 levels of snow, plus 1 for "no snow". That makes 17. Another 17 to complete the cycle in reverse so that it changes smoothly, and you have 34.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

It seems I got my AM/PM mixed up. I meant to say that the server restarts at 12:00 AM nightly, not PM.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

GoldFireUn wrote:It seems I got my AM/PM mixed up. I meant to say that the server restarts at 12:00 AM nightly, not PM.
I just use 24-hour time :) No AM/PM that way xD

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I share your frustrations regarding the recent changes, parasite. The only reason I didn't post a more critical review of the server is because I didn't want to detract from the anniversary occasion :)

It does seem the difficulty of gameplay has become less and less of a challenge, and moreso of a nuisance. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate many of the improvements. However, there are some unsettling features that I hope can be addressed:
  • Reduced Stack Limit
    There doesn't appear to be any rhyme nor reason for the new stack limit of 64. Evidently there is a precedent, but I don't see it. Most basic recipes require dividing items by 3 or 6 or 9. But, 64 isn't divisible by any of these, only 2 and 4 and 8 which are quite rare by comparison. As a result, leftover items are virtually inevitable. A stack limit of 99 allows for more effective crafting from 3 or 9 slots. Of course there is also the hassle of players having to double-up all their chests, just to accommodate existing inventory.

Costly Protection
    Mese crystals are already in rare supply in this world. Yet, to protect a meager 11x11 area requires one mese block, 4 mese crystals, 2 bronze ingots (which can only be obtained from an alloy furnace, thereby requiring additional materials and crafting), and 2 stone. In comparison to all other Minetest servers with similar protection mods, this is an exorbitant expense. It not only reduces the incentive for new players to build anything substantial, but it is neither reasonable nor balanced given the overall gameplay.

Slow Walking Speed
    Travelling by foot is an exercise in futility, particularly across ice or snow which form the majority of the terrain. Concerns of map growth are justified, but players should not be penalized for walking when the gamplay necessitates continual exploration. Speed variations for traversing different surfaces are understandable, but nothing so extreme as the current implementation. Why not introduce boots for faster walking? They could be crafted from rubber and leather and simply added to the armor inventory.

Minecraft-Like Drops
    When digging nodes, I prefer the game mechanics of Minetest. I expect all items to go directly into my inventory, not to fall to the ground like in Minecraft. It is tiresome having to retrace my steps while mining in search of ores and torches that failed to be caught due to server lag or network latency. It is doubly irritating when dropping items to trade with a fellow player. Before I even get a chance to step back, they are re-added to my inventory. The behavior is like a no-win; it is rarely consistent nor convenient.
I hope that GoldFireUn will take my feedback with the best of intentions. After all, I'm not trying to diminish his efforts in any way. Must Test is one of my top-three favourite Minetest servers, and I am always happy to see it grow and evolve. Keep up the great work!

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

I have finally added that sled I mentioned.

The sled allows faster travel across snow. However, it does not do well in rough terrain and cannot cross chasms unless traveling at a high speed from a higher launching point. You travel the fastest down a gradual slope, which allows the sled to pick up speed (with no arbitrary limit, the theoretical maximum is whatever the server can cope with). If you are not sledding down a slope then your speed is quite limited, but still better than sprinting. Running into non-ice, non-snow will bring you to a scraping halt.

The code was copied from the boat mod to allow me to focus on the sled movement code without worrying about boiler-plate. The model is originally from Splizard and LazyJ's snow mod, but with some tweaks in Blender to fix a few texturing issues and to add a nice detail.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

@sorcerykid, your concerns are very welcome! Must Test would not be where it is now without criticism from various sources. :)

I will try to answer some issues.

Regarding mese, it can be grown next to the brimstone ocean, so substantial quantities of it can be obtained with little long-term effort (except, of course, the one-time cost of setting up the farm, which does also require that the player first know how the farming works). The odd effect of this is that once a player gains access to the nether, obtaining protection (the 7x7x7 kind) is actually quite easy. I agree that this is not very good for balance but I cannot change it now without upsetting everybody who got used to it.

There is a sled now which I hope will mitigate snow slowness. The season of stone is not far away, either, which is now when all distant surface exploration should take place.

The item-drop behavior has a few easter eggs in it. There is a tip: if you hold shift the range at which you pick up drops is increased to just short of your maximum reach; this is especially useful after setting off TNT because sometimes drops get buried, and you need the extra reach to grab buried drops. (This was a specific request from Zorg, actually.)

The pick-up range changes based on other things. If you are standing still the range is very short, but if you are moving forwards (but not backwards), the range is wider. This makes me wonder why items you drop for another player are reappearing in your inventory when this was specifically done to make that problem a lot less likely.

Since Must Test had drops from TNT and drops whenever a player or mob dropped something, it was only a little thematic jump to have blocks become drops when dug, too. But the primary reason I added it some time ago is because I wanted it to be a little extra work to grab nodes that were dug at the player's extreme range, which also means that the player must be careful when they dig nodes lest the drops fall into lava or a chasm. I did try to avoid some of the more annoying behaviors, and I suppose that part of the code will require additional tweaking. I think I will make it so nodes a player digs that are closer than extreme range will go directly into inventory instead of being dropped. (I tried this already but I can always try harder. :)

I hope I do not seem like I am just trying to explain things away. I do wish to make the game less tedious, but certain behaviors cannot be removed completely due to being deeply embedded in the game concept. (I would have coded mese and mese-farming differently in hindsight, but now there are too many mese farms that would be broken.) So I usually try to stick to adding work-arounds or tweaking that adds features without breaking existing features (such as seasons and sleds, which are meant to allow exploration without completely undoing the snow slowness).

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

..... Annnnd done. Whenever you dig a block, if it's closer to you than 4 meters it goes directly into your inventory, skipping the itemdrop step entirely. If its 4 meters or farther it will still drop as an item.

Hopefully this allows Must Test to keep the best of both words (ease of play, while retaining the danger of valuables falling into unreachable places if dug at range).

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Hello!

Today I present a new way to configure your diamond teleports. The rainbow blocks on this server now have a real use besides being eye-candy. Although the rainbows are rare and only the most enterprising will find them, a teleport device configured with 8 rainbows will be overcharged enough to permit teleportation of a player up to 31000 meters away. Use of a teleport device that is configured in such a way does not require any mossy cobble or lily pads to use, since the rainbow blocks actively drain zero-point energy from the surrounding ambient environment. Note that you receive the benefit of using rainbow blocks only if 8 are used at once; using just 1 or 2 will provide no increase in power or range because the circle is not complete.

In other news, simple, quick transportation between the City of Snow and the City of Fire is now possible, utilizing these high-powered teleports. You can find the link point in the City of Snow underneath the North Square. A stairway and enclosed room have been excavated to allow one of these machines to be constructed without causing nearby property values to plummet because of the eye-hurting properties inherent in the teleport's materials. Lost souls who find themselves condemned to existence in the Nether may use the teleport in the City of Fire to escape.

Here's a quick visual instruction on how to build a diamond teleport, and then configure it into a nyanbow teleport:

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

So last weekend I spent nearly 20 hours harvesting over 1500 mese crystals :D

By reaching my goal, I was able to craft the final 110 protection blocks needed to complete my latest build on Must Test. Huzzah!

Between building the fire portal (after several hours of trial and error), gathering blue rackstone (while dying repeatedly in the Brimstone Ocean), defending myself from Dungeon Masters (they really know how to kick my butt), and waiting patiently for the mese farm to grow (it's no worse than watching paint dry), that was WAY more work than I ever want to remember xD

On the upside, Must Test is now contemplating reducing the cost of protection blocks lol.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

I will now report that the server will be offline for awhile. This is so that the map database can be transfered over the wire, while retaining all the very latest changes. Unfortunately, this is a very slow process for me, and I don't know exactly how many hours it will take. Could be 10 or more.

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

While GoldFireUn transfers data, I thought I could write a few words here. I complained in previous posts and someone might have thought that this server is bad one. I think I should prevent this possibility. Especially becouse I was so histerical lol I am wondering why we post complains and problems on forums, if there are also many good things to say about? (But I must say that I do not like the 64 stack limit and drop items – why? Minecraft sucks!)

Some time ago some changes made the gameplay difficult. Some may think that those updates made survival in the game world much harder, but that is not true. This aspect of gameplay did not change at all. What was changed? Moving the character in the game become unpleasant. But the things went much better after further changes. Slowed movements are not overall right now. And when the seasons, sleds, pumice and basalt have been added, it is fair enough to agree for slower movements in some circumstances.

Let's just say it, MustTest world is a winter world full of snow and ice. It is obvious that it is not easy to move freely in a ground full of snow and with a strong icy wind. So It should be expected that walking speed through the snow will be decreased (at least in open, wild area).

However, it is surprising that inside a heated building where you can wearing t-shirt only, you still have such slower movement speed. In such situations your character in game may suspect that he or she is suffering from Parkinson`s Disease ;) Of course we, players, accept this as we know that there is no general temperature class which could define walking speed, hunger decrease rate and other behavioral options depending on complex environmental data, like open or closed space area, distance from heat source and so on. Walking speed depends just on the type of node on which you are standing. It is a questionable that you are moving very slowly when walking on such and not a different stone/brick/crystal block. But I think I started complaining again.

it is fair enough to have slow walking on a raw snow, frozen dirt and stones, especially (1) when you can ride fast on sled and (2) when you can use well implemented sprint with “E” button (or however it can be triggered); and (3) when you can construct roads with some “fast-walking speed” materials.

By the way, sitting on sled also prevent you from receiving damage from mobs which surround you during nightime ride, which is great! Sled also makes you leave no traces on the snow. When moving to your hidden base from the colony (or in opposite direction) on sled, you will not reveal its location in this way. Also riding on sled you will not reveal that you were near someone's hidden base. Otherwise, by looking at the snow anyone can immediately recognize that someone was in the area, at least on foot. Supposedly, these traces should disappear over time, but they still last long enough. It seems that these foot traces can be visible even in the map images displayed on the server home page! Traces of your own foot can be helpful during far explorations. The probability of getting lost in an unfamiliar area is smaller, since you can come back with the same path that you came there.

There is enough amount of “sprint resources” to run fast and escape in any surprising critical situation. You can come across the loose material (like gravel) just above own head in the mine. Another case is sudden appearance of snowmen on the street. Snowmen are very fast compared to player slow walking speed, but are slow when compared to player sprint speed or sled full speed. So if there is just a few snowmen you can simply run away, mobs will left behind and forget about you. There is enough amount of “sprint resources” to use also for short distances in any other walking situations. You can move from chests to working place during complex building process or from spawn point to the near buildings in the colony without using all resources.

Sprint will not help you to deal with other mobs, like obsidians and masters. Of course you can try to run away from their shooting range, sometime it is the only thing what player can do. But I guess it is best to attack these beings immediately, covering them with the sword as much as they will, and at the same time circling them around (or in the case of two masters, keeping the other behind the back of the first one). What I like most is jumping on monster and punch it with the sword while sitting on them, but I guess that is a result of some psychological needs rather than effect of a strategy matched to specific gameplay conditions. :D

You also can build a fast-walk roads with pumice and basalt, as you can achieve the highest speed of walking on this type of nodes. You can receive fast-walk materials in similar way to the obsidian. To receive obsidian you need to follow well known simple rule: lava source + water source = obsidian. But now you can do much more with water and lava: running lava + water source = basalt; running lava + running water = pumice. That works in most cases, but occasionally some cobbles or hot cobbles can be generated instead of basalt or pumice. Adding these nodes to the game is very useful. They can be used for example to make paths in the garden (walking on a dirt is slow as hell). Basalt and pumice also do something good with all those irritating lava which fall down in a huge caves from the cave roof that is so high that you cannot see it even with full range. Now you can put a water on that lava and construct pumice & basalt generators! This makes these lava falls useful!

I also must say that I love seasons. I may be wrong, but it seems that there is no other minetest server or game that contain anything similar. This seems to be just a small addition to the game, so I guess some players can underestimate this. But in fact this is very awesome feature. It as a continuum between presence and lack of snow. Once there is no snow at all. Then the snow gradually increases. After it reaches the maximum, it gradually decreases, and again, after some time there is no snow again. Time between the minimum and maximum of snow activity is called Season of Drifts as I remember. Increasing and decreasing of snow activity is wonderful done by the changes of size of snow node. The first snow is a very thin node, but as the time progresses, the height of the snow node increases. During the maximum of snow activity the snow node has the size of full regular cube block. I think this is very clever idea! I can imagine a minitest_game without any snow biome but with seasons (the snow could show up periodically in some of areas, gradually covering green grass, flowers and leaves and and the seas could freeze at this time, so getting some ice and snow could be possible only in winter… I think it is something that is missing from this game.)

I was also positively surprised when I came across the presence of gas in the mine. The gas can start to escape from the hole on the extracted stone and contaminate part of the cave. (As I understand it, the player need to trigger somehow the gas). I was joking that it can`t be methane, since it did not explode in contact with the torches. Gas is a rare find, but if it appeared often and filled up more space, a recipe for some kind of a gas mask would be necessary ;) Someone can think that such seasons and gas is just something small, but I will say that it's these little things that make all the fun!

It can be also mentioned that in the last update we also received some nice technic tools, like chainsaw, rock drill together with a device enabling recharging them. Also some blast resistant concrete shows up in the craftguide, so I guess that is another small steps toward nuclear energy ;) Thanks!

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

The server is back online, and hopefully, with less network lag! I have adjusted the configuration quite a bit to take advantage of higher bandwidth. However it has only been online for a few hours, so I'll have to see how it goes over the long term. If by any chance the new configuration actually makes things worse please don't hesitate to say so here or in the chat!

Remember that the IP address changes sometimes, so if you can't connect, look for a refreshed entry in the master server list.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

The server is down again. I'd only planned it to be down for 10 minutes in order to enable a new control scheme for the server, but it turns out that didn't go as planned. So now it's been down for several hours and will continue to be down until I finish rewriting the bash scripts.

Sorry people. I'll have it back up as soon as I possibly can.

parasite

by parasite » Post

I recently wrote that the gas in the mine is non-flammable. But the gas quickly became flammable since then. And now you even have to set the gas on fire so that it can burn out and not spread. It seems that freshly released gas can extinguish torches (at least sometimes), so you need to put new torches in the area with gas to burn it out... With these properties, you can easily call this gas methane. Maybe we should consider a electric methane detector that could be charged in the charger like technic drill?

Thanks for nice and challenging entertainment GoldFireUn!
Attachments
gasinmine2.jpg
gasinmine2.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
gasinmine1.jpg
gasinmine1.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

parasite

by parasite » Post

At MustTest server you can find a working pub. It is called Pickaxe Pub. Moreover, sorcerykid is the one who run that bar and as you can see on the picture, she also is bartending there! You can go inside, buy a drink, and even buy a drink to somebody else, if you have enough of gold. In low dose those fruity drinks helps you regain your sprint strength quickly, but many players become addicted, and in a large dose those drinks leads to insanity. Like in real pubs, some people stays longer there and get mad when drink those drinks too much. That is how fights starts - and sometimes not even fights, but unexpected stabbing with the sword - and as a result, some bones can be found there too.

So, when you will be somewhere around, remember the Pickaxe Pub at Central Spawn, you're welcome!
Attachments
screenshot_20180311_1.jpg
screenshot_20180311_1.jpg (63.67 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
screenshot_20180311_2.jpg
screenshot_20180311_2.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

parasite

by parasite » Post

Recently I saw a few players who join the server and was wandering through the map without any clue how to start (I am not talking about those lag makers who join, shout "heeeelp" and log off). So I wrote this post.

If you want to accept a challenge of this server and play here I have a few tips for all of brave beginners:
at the beginning you should consider to acquire:
* torch
* cobbles
* copper
* gold

If you do not have a torch yet, you can try search for it in somebody else bones, or in nearby holes or nearby tunnels, where somebody left some torches a long time ago and forgot about them. You can also make it from stick and coal as well. Coal can be found underground, but how to find sticks? You can craft sticks from wood planks, get them when you cut down trees - then sticks fall to the ground just like that - or craft sticks from dry shrubs. You can find shrubs around the city. If you will choose fo get some shrubs, you will need to explore the map around the city during the day and come back to the city for night. You can spent a night at the roof of spawn place or in tunnels below spawn points if mobs will be around you. It is possible that for this purpose you will have to go out into the area outside the great wall that sorcerykid surrounded the city. Then you will be forced to prepare for the night some improvised shelter in the rock or in the ground, to avoid the murderous snowmen that show up on snow there.

Why you should have a torch? Becouse torch is needed (with cobbles) to craft furnace. The recipe is the same as in default minetest game except you need to put a torch into a middle of crafting grid. With furnace and coal you will be able to smelt copper and gold into ingots. With 3 copper ingots you can craft a passport. This is very important device which allow your account to be remembered and keeped on server. This device will also allow you to send and receive emails to/from other players and to teleport you from anywhere around the city to all of 5 spawn quarters. (But there is a limit how far / deep from the city you can use this device to teleport).

And gold ingots you can use as money in shops. Gold is very important becouse (probably) shops will be your first food, drinks, tools, wood and saplings supply. That is the easiest way to get some basic stuff helping you survive and making some progress.

If you will not find copper soon after joining the server you can even skip this, as you will be able to buy a passport from (Nakilashiva`s) shop as soon as you got some first gold. There are few shops with pickaxes stronger than initial stuff and shops full of cheap food. There are at least two places where you can easily start searching for ores, and some buildings containing information, tips, hints, descriptions or examples about resources, tools and machines on the server.

The city has 5 main districts, each of which has its own spwan points. Initially, after death, you may be respawn randomly in these 5 locations, which may be a bit confusing. The city, however, is not large and you can easily get all of it locations there quickly on foot. Those spawn points are connected with roads and cart rails. As soon as you will be able to craft or buy a bed, you can sleep in bed to set your own spawn at the bed location. Below you will find a simple map on which all 5 spawns are marked but only a few selected roads, shops, mines and information points, which I found to be crucial for beginners. On the main road connecting the north, the center and the south, you can find hatches leading to the underground tunnel, where you can hide at night, but in which you can also find admin`s examples of installations of technic machines used on the server.

I am convinced that most of these lost players will not find this post here. Nevertheless, I hope that someone may find it useful, or maybe it will encourage someone to join the server and give a try. It is now much easier to survive in this world than before, because the stores are full of many things that players once had to get by themselves from far and long map explorations or deep mining.
Attachments
must_test_beginners.png
must_test_beginners.png (41.6 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Last edited by parasite on Tue Mar 13, 2018 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

That is a good-looking map, @parasite. Can I use it on the server website?

parasite

by parasite » Post

GoldFireUn wrote:That is a good-looking map, @parasite. Can I use it on the server website?
Yes, of course.

parasite

by parasite » Post

Some miners flood the lava with water and then for a long time laboriously dig blocks of obsidian, wiping sweat from the forehead and often exchanging quickly-consuming pickaxes. But you can get this black material in a different way ...

to be or not to be continued...

Thanks to recent updates, the server now has safe nuclear energy. Potential errors in handling the reactor can kill, and damage the device, but do not release charnobylite into the environment. As a result, players by mistake (or intentionally) will not turn colony on this icy land into a radioactive post-apocalypse. The reactor generates 2000 EU per sec. But the same output can be obtained with many, many tidal MV generators gathered together in a huge pool with water or with MV wind generators rising endlessly in the windmill plantation.

Another thing is the possibility of diving for a minute or longer. To do this, use the two things: a diving helmet and a bottle with oxygen. The helmet must be placed in the armor slot as the only helmet located there (helmet from the armor must be removed). The bottle is an ordinary (default) metal bottle that can be filled with oxygen under a suitable pressure using a compressor. When you have a helmet on your head, use/push (i do not remember exactly) the oxygen bottle and if everything went well, the server will let you know that you can stay under water for a minute. Scuba diving can be useful, because at the bottom of frozen lakes you can find new materials, recently added to the game. They will be generated only in places that nobody has visited yet. In the end, when someone has already visited a place, the map in this area has already been generated and there are only such materials that appeared in the game at that time.

But perhaps the most important update is the search ability in the craft-guide, and the need to get rid of ice from below the dirt if you want to make a farm on that dirt and bring up some food, flowers or whatever alive. Obsidian monsters, however, still appear in caves, so a decent bow and a pack of powerful arrows should be always in your inventory.
Attachments
comics2.jpg
comics2.jpg (288.11 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
comics1.jpg
comics1.jpg (298.11 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Hello everyone.

Though most of you probably did not know it, up to now the server has been storing all map data in a traditional SQLite database file, map.sqlite. This is Minetest's default choice of database, however it is not the recommended database for production servers. The server is now sitting on an 11GB map file, which for SQLite, is on the large and slow end of the spectrum.

Other databases are reported to have much better performance, most notably LevelDB, Redis, and PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL will probably have the best performance & stability r.w.t. my server's current setup (though any of the 3 would be faster than SQLite). Therefore I will shortly be transferring the map data to a PostgreSQL database on separate hardware.

I've already tested to ensure that migration of AN existing database is possible, using a test world. As expected (and required) the existing database is not modified. If for any reason the migration process does not succeed, I will simply revert the server back to SQLite (and maybe try again another time). I expect the migration process to take several hours. It may finish sooner, or it may take longer. I will post again when the process is finished and I have confirmed that the map integrity has not been compromised.

Hopefully this will resolve most of the lag issues that the server has been having the last several months; if not, I have a list of bottlenecks in mod code to solve next.

GoldFireUn

by GoldFireUn » Post

Migrated 112710 blocks, 0.376729% completed.

This will take awhile.

SkylightsFall
In-game: Sky_Fall_II

by SkylightsFall » Post

Well that's just peachy....ugh....
Is eagerly waiting for the transfer to be complete for she has nothing better to do in class
If I can see it I will craft it...
If I can dream it I will build it...
If I find a home, I will put alot of effort into staying there...
AKA: Sky_Fall_II, SkylightsFall, MotherSkyFall, etc etc....

SkylightsFall

by SkylightsFall » Post

SkylightsFall

by SkylightsFall » Post

GoldFireUn wrote:Migrated 112710 blocks, 0.376729% completed.

This will take awhile.