Re: [Server] HOMETOWN

by rubenwardy » Post

On my server with between 36-38 players, I get this:

Code: Select all

# inotifywatch -t 30 -r *

total  access  modify   filename
84582  84577   5        sauth.sqlite
14098  14093   5        sban.sqlite
Your server has 80x as many accesses - how many players were online at a time?
Maybe there are a lot of players in the connecting stage, and giving up due to large media?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Shara
GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

by Shara » Post

Dark Lands frequently gets up to 20 players, so isn't exactly low activity either, and switching to sauth made a huge improvement.

Edit: same command on Dark Lands gives only 36316 total for sauth.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

By activity I am referring to the frequency of players joining and leaving. The number of simultaneous players does not involve the authentication handler.

It's unfortunate that so many server operators have struggled for months to pinpoint this problem and even led to believe they have to migrate to SQL just to resolve the bottleneck. Yet as I documented back in February, my server's max_lag dropped from upwards of 10s to 0.1s by doing nothing more than addressing the excessive and redundant I/O. (Since that time, I have completely overhauled the authentication handler with additional safeguards and optimizations that have led to even further improvements.)

Shara

by Shara » Post

I know the number of players is not the key issue, but it's the only easily comparable figure we have for activity. Dark Lands caps at 22 players so at around 20 in game there are a lot of failed join attempts. I've previously logged prejoins to watch how the number of joins correlates to increases in max_lag and the results are pretty obvious. (It took me a couple of days to see this, and I haven't heard of anyone struggling to realise it for months.)

Either way, I prefer to have things in a db and not a text file for reasons other than this issue. I'd love to see the excessive checks dealt with as well, but that doesn't change that sauth reduced lag instead of increasing it for me, and that Hometown doesn't seem far enough ahead of DL, or especially CTF, in activity to make activity the only issue.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I meant the struggle of server operators has been ongoing for months. The cause has been known since February (almost a year now) and it was brought to the attention of the core devs who determined that it's not a priority concern despite the impact on countless servers even dating back to 2015.

I've logged into Dark Lands on several occasions, and the volume of successive joins and leaves definitely appears very low compared to HOMETOWN. Moreover, if the only comparable figure we have is number of players, then even by that measure I think it's safe to say that HOMETOWN typically peaks around 40, which is well above 20.

I also don't believe that server operators should be expected to install an independently-supplied mod in order to overcome a significant vulnerability with the official builtin authentication handler.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Shara wrote:Either way, I prefer to have things in a db and not a text file for reasons other than this issue. I'd love to see the excessive checks dealt with as well, but that doesn't change that sauth reduced lag instead of increasing it for me, and that Hometown doesn't seem far enough ahead of DL, or especially CTF, in activity to make activity the only issue.
I'm sold on the db as well. I'd much rather use one query and get data with the criteria that I need in a instant, rather then have to parse, filter and whatever black magic to accomplish what I need from whatever scripting language I decide I'm writing in. And I will return to sauth (or a native solution) as soon as I'm able to take the time to sort out what the issue was. The posted inotifywatch was not from a busy time really. I think there was around 20 people on if I recall correctly as it was in the early morning. I can't tell you if people were logging in and out heavily at that time as I was not logged in myself. I do know I ran that command in disbelief at least ten times with similar results, so it wasn't just a freak thing that was happening at a particular moment. When Kibbie texted me, I ran the command and saw the numbers in excess of 12 million in 30 seconds and decided it was time to pull the plug and revert back to original auth.txt. As it turns out it resolved all the extra lag we had been experiancing. So now we're running happily with the occasional lag the stock auth.txt blesses us with that we used to hate so much and are happy to have back. :P
I still haven't looked the code over, but I'm convinced something is goofy with the latest version of the sauth mod as the entire player database is not supposed to be loaded into memory. Just the names of players that are actually logged in. Or individual names are loaded as needed from other functions. I am curious if Shara, rubenwardy and others are running sauth versions before these features? Because they are certainly having more success than I am for the moment.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I'm using the latest sauth and sban, and stable 0.4.16
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

rubenwardy wrote:I'm using the latest sauth and sban, and stable 0.4.16
Interesting. He did ask me to try his testing branch to test a couple issues I had reported. I should run diff on what code I have and whats on git a the moment to spot what the deal is. I often connect to the server and edit files with the vfs, and its given me unexpected results before.

Kibbie
IRC: Kibbie
In-game: Kibbie IOKA

by Kibbie » Post

(Sorry to interrupt the blahblah talk, but I have to post this here as well)
HOMETOWN Holiday/Winter Build Contest!

Build your rendition of an abominable snow monster!

Your snow monster doesn't have to look just like Rudolph's friend, but should be between 25 and 40 nodes high and white. Your snow monster should be facing SOUTH, this is very important! The winner of this build contest will receive some gold (of course) and some rare prizes, as well as have their monster featured in a special way. ;)

All entries are due by November 26th. Please enter by replying to this thread with the coordinates to your creation, or by placing a book in Kibbie's PO Box in the post office. We cannot wait to see what you all come up with! :D

A big thank you to Texan for the inspiration! This contest is the first of three winter/holiday build contests. Details for the other build contests will be given soon!
(Please resume your blahblah)

Shara

by Shara » Post

I might be missing the latest update, since I've been travelling so much over the past couple of weeks that it's been hard to keep track. I'll try and do an update over the next couple of days just to be sure and will let you know if I see any difference.

sorcerykid: CTF especially isn't less busy than Hometown; the stats on that are pretty solid. I've already agreed with the cause of the issue anyway, and it sounds as though you either have or are very close to having a fix for it. Is there any chance you could make a PR for this and save a lot of server owners from these problems in the future?

SFP
GitHub: Hood
IRC: Hood
In-game: Hood

by SFP » Post

Kibbie wrote:HOMETOWN Holiday/Winter Build Contest!
Idk how to build Rudolph's friend but i know to build really creepy snowman just like this one
Attachments
Frosty-the-Snowman-evil-winter-christmas-minecraft-building (1).jpg
Frosty-the-Snowman-evil-winter-christmas-minecraft-building (1).jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Last edited by SFP on Wed Nov 15, 2017 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
Speak when you're spoken to, maybe I might answer.
-Hood 2017

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

SFP wrote:
Kibbie wrote:HOMETOWN Holiday/Winter Build Contest!
Idk how to build Rudolph's friend but i know to build really creepy snowman just like this one
I know who I'm gonna build too, but I'm not telling or someone will make him better :P

shivajiva
In-game: shivajiva

by shivajiva » Post

I've just tested the code in sauth master, added some print statements to check the process is working correctly.
2017-11-14 23:19:03: ACTION[Server]: [sban] shivajiva whitelisted entry permits login
Record can be cached = true
Record for shivajiva retrieved from the db
shivajiva cached
Record for shivajiva retrieved from the cache
Record for shivajiva retrieved from the cache
As you can see it successfully caches the player and no other database transactions occur for that player, further requests for get_auth use the cached data. I'm extremely interested to see what you find as it suggests a huge volume of get_auth requests from failed login attempts, to the point it seems to defy the logistics.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

I will be building an abdominable snowman, and join a contest for once!
What is SCP-055?

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Discord server for HOMETOWN! https://discord.gg/FF6pEzE

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

BBmine wrote:Discord server for HOMETOWN! https://discord.gg/FF6pEzE
For the record there is not a official Discord server. What servers exist are made by players. So Kibbie and I accept no responsibility for whatever may occur there.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
BBmine wrote:Discord server for HOMETOWN! https://discord.gg/FF6pEzE
For the record there is not a official Discord server. What servers exist are made by players. So Kibbie and I accept no responsibility for whatever may occur there.

:D To my knowledge this is the only discord server for HOMETOWN that is publically announced. And I'm the admin there, so you and Kibbie don't need to worry (Not like y'all would xD)

Kibbie
IRC: Kibbie
In-game: Kibbie IOKA

by Kibbie » Post

Okay guys, I hate to do this, but I really need to enforce the "Do not change the exterior at all" rule I asked tenants to agree to when I let players have use of buildings I built in and around the spawn area. I already had to speak with a couple of players and help them reverse the extensive changes they made to one of my builds, and it's time I enforce that for everybody.

The shops and houses around spawn are modeled after real buildings, and when I agreed to let players have use of buildings, I specifically said the interiors could be changed, but the exteriors HAD TO REMAIN UNCHANGED. All tenants agreed to that but some have continuously pushed the envelope. That means no vendors, no items placed on sidewalks, no changing windows, no expanding the building, just....NO. If the exterior of the building looks different in any way from the way it looked when I handed you a set of keys, it needs to be returned to normal.

The day after Thanksgiving we will be decorating the spawn area, I would like the exteriors of all my builds returned to their original state by then or I will have to do it myself. Thank you for understanding. Moving forward, if this continues to be a problem, I will have to remove tenants from the protection. I don't want to have to keep harping about this, it makes me feel lousy and honestly...I was being very nice by allowing use of the buildings at all. Please respect the amount of work I put into those builds, and please respect the terms you originally agreed to.

Thank you.

angelo1123_
IRC: angelo1123_
In-game: angelo1123_

by angelo1123_ » Post

Can I have a house in spawn square too.
I'm old enough to respect rules and not change exterior
Mhk (mmm-kay) means okay.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

angelo1123_ wrote:Can I have a house in spawn square too.
I'm old enough to respect rules and not change exterior
I don't think there are any houses left to be had
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Could you build me a shack in the sky, near spawn? With stairs leading up to it? I would very much like to sell crops/produce, for a low price :P
What is SCP-055?

angelo1123_
IRC: angelo1123_
In-game: angelo1123_

by angelo1123_ » Post

This server needs a mall
Mhk (mmm-kay) means okay.

SFP
GitHub: Hood
IRC: Hood
In-game: Hood

by SFP » Post

angelo1123_ wrote:This server needs a mall
Heh, there will be Walmart at Varsity, where ppl could put they're cheap shops.
Speak when you're spoken to, maybe I might answer.
-Hood 2017

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

@Kibbie when I was a tenent in my house at the very start of the server, you told me I could add a window when I asked.
Speaking of....have I been added back yet?

harmony
IRC: ynomrah
In-game: ynomrah

by harmony » Post

BBmine wrote:
Chem871 wrote:'course we want you back Ynom Ynom :D
Yes! And I believe she IS back!
Aye!
저는 방탄소년단 를 사랑해요!!! 아미!! 김남준,김석진,민윤기,정호석,박지민,김태형,전정국,방탄소년단!
저는 블랙핑크 를 사랑해요!!! 블링크!! 김지수,김제니,박채영,리사(ปราณ ปริ ยา มโน บาล)