[Server] HOMETOWN

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: [Server] HOMETOWN

by ExeterDad » Post

jSnake wrote:Will PM as soon as I get it uploaded. My upload speed isn't too great though.
I've got em! Thanks so much!
BBmine wrote:When exactly is the server's backup from? I have a local save from Friday.
Not sure what backup you are talking about? The biggest file I have is 20 GIG's. But it's confirmed that a huge chunk of has duplicate index's (meaning nodes that have been updated or deleted but still made it into the dump) I'm sure once those are sorted out, the usable map will be half that size or less. And... it's from waay back. Like the server was a couple months old. I can use that as a base and layer any newer map saves on top of it, updating what is recorded. So yes... I want that save you have Baggins. Just please note the age, and what you may of captured :)
Miss Micah wrote:So if you use the local save everything will be good again?! :D
Yes and no. If someone captured the area you need or want to see, it will be restored. Including the content of chests and shops. If someone has a top secret awesome build at the center of the earth that a recording person hasn't gotten within range of.... it will not be restored.
Personally I struggle with recording a map section. My ram fills to quickly and makes even moving around a struggle. Those that can record full time while playing are lucky and I envy them lol.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

No hard feelings from me. You probably suffered more than anyone else. I'm glad we're still doing this. This has always been in my mind the best server there is. Big thanks to the amazing admins who started this!
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Miss Micah
In-game: micah

by Miss Micah » Post

I’m really happy that you are still trying to figure all of this out and you aren’t giving up!!
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

jSnake
In-game: jSnake

by jSnake » Post

Glad I could help

the older_map file is from 6/10/2018 (I explored a lot with local save on for this one)
the newer one is from 6/16/2018

center of the castle is at (-6000, 43.5, -10000) castle is huge though and mostly surrounded by pristine land.

i think this is a Miniminaut build location (1973.11, y, -472)

I think that's it for coordinates that I noted down.

random_geek
GitHub: random-geek
In-game: Techy5 random_geek

by random_geek » Post

I have quite a bit saved. Will upload as soon as I can get them both on NoFile.

P.S. EDad, sorry to hear about all this stress. Hopefully you won't be too permanently traumatized. :)

RWЯ
GitHub: DreamCrusher
IRC: DabbetulArz
In-game: Hood

by RWЯ » Post

If we can get some parts of map back, what will happen with our items in bags, and inventory?
If I feel it then I do it (I don’t need a reason why)

Fabiowd1990

by Fabiowd1990 » Post

jSnake wrote:Glad I could help

the older_map file is from 6/10/2018 (I explored a lot with local save on for this one)
the newer one is from 6/16/2018

center of the castle is at (-6000, 43.5, -10000) castle is huge though and mostly surrounded by pristine land.

i think this is a Miniminaut build location (1973.11, y, -472)

I think that's it for coordinates that I noted down.

I had a ice castle near the beautiful group of castles owned by Miniminaut. The last time I played was approx 1 week ago, and I've visited the whole Miniminaut castle, as it was wonderful. I think your coordinates maybe right: looking at the 2D map and following the rails toward east, it was at the south of the first icy zone. I don't know if I had to save map manually and where minetest saves them on Linux, but if someone can explain, I could check if I can find cached map or the saving itself.

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

My backups have thankfully quiet a few areas:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
(Map doesn't support colored wood or baked clay, it's all still there)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Also a few others. I'll send those over when I'm on internet that's faster than 4kb/s lol.

Other local mapsaves have been equally promising. It's a shame we'll lose some stuff, but nowhere near the end of the world, or the server. What I've always loved about Hometown is the community, and it looks like they're mostly staying :D.
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

Fabiowd1990 wrote:I don't know if I had to save map manually and where minetest saves them on Linux, but if someone can explain, I could check if I can find cached map or the saving itself.
I'm pretty sure you have to enable it manually, but if it's enabled then a world will show up in your wolds folder (next to your mods folder, which should be ~./minetest/worlds) with the name: server_hometownserver.com_30000
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

random_geek

by random_geek » Post

ExeterDad wrote: Once restored (what there actually is). I can then apply local map saves line by line into the database and the new will merge with the old, saving whatever was recent at the time the player "recorded" it.
The forum won't let me send a PM, so I guess I'll just quote you instead.

Here's the older map, about 300MB in size: https://nofile.io/f/X9VwVanbmzT/map.sqlite
Here's the newer one, which is much smaller: https://nofile.io/f/WEHWyjrfdAd/map.sqlite

Both maps are unplayed. The old map was last modified on June 3rd. From what MtMapper told me, it has a ~700m radius of spawn (including both my towers), my old house, most or all of Verdant, and a bunch of other random exploration trails. The new map came not much later, but has a more recent copy of my house and latest tower. :)

EDIT: Theoretically, the newer one should only include about 7 days of data, as that came from the short-lived 0.4.17 release. However, the file says it was last modified just 1 day after the previous one. :/
Last edited by random_geek on Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

shacharr
In-game: shacharr

by shacharr » Post

My block cache from wandering around is available at https://nofile.io/f/zNF9pCOPgHS/map.sqlite .Hopefully this helps.

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

Here's my unplayed saved map file of HOMETOWN. I always leave local map saving enabled because sometimes I want to get the building I've built on other servers in my singleplayer world or in my server.

Nofile link: https://nofile.io/f/vjGsrACO9fz/map.sqlite
(Alt link in case nofile is down: http://sv.mnh48.com/hometown/map.sqlite )

some coordinates that's important to me (lol) which is confirmed to be saved in the local map save file
  1. my house 574,13,-131
  2. base under my house 575,-21,-132
  3. my shop and its underground stock room 564,16,-179
  4. my wip road 632,9,-16
  5. shop I went to -43,19,-47
  6. bank -45,19,-70
  7. post office 39,21,70
  8. Clasher's ships -2905,12,906
  9. someone's house 436,0,-1338
  10. my new building -2142,7,3970 <--- I'm around here just before server shutdown for upgrade
Full generated image of the map could be see here:
http://sv.mnh48.com/hometown/savedmap.png
Note that I don't have full colors.txt file so some parts like colored clay are not appearing in the map image
if someone could give a more complete colors.txt file then I could regenerate the full map image with correct colours
Spoiler
Clasher's ships

Parts of North Pole:

My shop and my home:

My WIP bridge road marked inside the red line, where the prots are already placed and I've been mining many stones to stock up to build the road:
(the plan is not ordinary roads, it will have architecture elements like real bridge)

and of course, the spawn area and its surrounding:

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

These are my most up-to-date backups, all as raw, unplayed, saves. Let me know if you want any of these, they're around 10 or 20 MB each.

Code: Select all

hometown-farm-and-office-raw.2018-03-27.08-35-42.tar.gz - user2's farm and user2's office south from the farm
hometown-lighthouse-raw.2017-06-26.10-33-42.tar.gz - Greek city lighthouse (but not much of the rest of the Greek city)
hometown-notice-board-raw.2018-03-28.13-14-47.tar.gz - user2's notice board east from spawn (not many significant surrounding builds if I remember correctly)
hometown-town-raw.2018-03-05.08-47-03.tar.gz - user2's abandoned town about 2000 blocks west from spawn
hometown-verdant-raw.2018-04-21.20-50-11.tar.gz - Verdant
I'm really hoping someone has a more up-to-date backup of spawn including the updated U2 center.

Also I take it that player inventories are also lost?

Of course, usually I'd suggest a disk-level recovery utility to try to recover the deleted data directly from the disk but it's probably already been overwritten by all the attempts at restoring the backups.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Hmm, I had an idea for how it might be possible to recover the map data. If only I could reasonably download and work with 85 GB of data...

I have no idea how long this would take, but theoretically it is possible and would allow recovery of most of the surface-level builds at least. The idea is this:
  • Find all blocks that are likely surface-level blocks. This can be done by checking for air at the top of the block and/or checking the light level at the top of the block. Let's call this list A.
  • Using the exact same mapgen parameters, generate the entire surface-level map. Let's call this map B.
  • For each block in list A, attempt to find the closest-matching block in map B (in terms of the shape of the terrain, the least number of blocks changed, etc.). This now becomes the position of the block from list A, constructing a new map consisting of most of the surface-level blocks in their correct positions. Let's call this new map C.
Already this should have a lot of blocks sorted, particularly in the further-out areas. However I imagine it could take a long time. A variation would be to skip the first step and use the blocks directly from the backup instead of from list A, resulting in a more thorough coverage but with even worse performance.

From this point, we continue as follows:
  • Find all blocks that are likely above-ground blocks. This can be done by checking for air at the bottom of the block. Let's call this list D.
  • For each block in list D, attempt to find the block underneath it by performing edge-matching against the blocks in map C. If a block cannot be matched, put it back in list D and attempt to match it again later (so that structures taller than 2 map blocks can be reconstructed). Let's call this new map E.
This will probably have a lot of false-positives so, depending on the number of blocks that need matching and the amount of uncertainty in each block, it may be desirable to introduce human verification.

At this point, map E will contain a mostly-accurate reconstruction of all ground-level structures. It will not include most floating structures or the underground portions of some structures (e.g. basements) that go outside the ground-level map block.

Further steps could be introduced to attempt to reconstruct underground portions of structures and even cave systems using a combination of comparing against an unmodified, freshy-generated copy of the map and edge-matching against blocks that have already been positioned, but each extra step will cause the process to take longer (and comparing every surface-level block against every other surface-level block is already pushing it).

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

I just had another idea, but this one depends on how far back the server logs go...

You mentioned previously that the server logs the position of node placements (and removals), but not the orientation/metadata. For now, let's assume a theoretical scenario where the server logs encompass everything back to the beginning of time and everything else works out as expected (obviously not the case):
  • Replay the node placement and removal logs against a freshy-generated copy of the map (this will be generated as required to save disk space i.e. a block will only be generated when it is referenced in the log). The resulting map will contain all the correct nodes in the correct positions but with the wrong orientations. Let's call this map A.
  • For each block in the backup, attempt to find its position by matching it against map A, by comparing only the node strings and ignoring the node metadata. Let's call this map B.
Now, in an ideal world, map B should be more-or-less 100% accurate (there may be some ambiguities in the case of blocks with identical nodes but different metadata and human verification may be required for these blocks). Any blocks that weren't matched against map A are most likely unmodified and weren't generated in map A and can therefore be discarded.

Because this isn't an ideal world, it obviously won't work out that perfectly. But by using a closest-match algorithm rather than an exact-match algorithm in the second step, a fairly complete map should be constructed (more accurate/complete than the result from my previous post, with less processing and simpler steps required). Using a closest-match algorithm increases the average time taken to match one block but is possibly still feasible with some optimisations (multi-threading, processing blocks in batches to reduce the number of required database reads, etc.).

The downside is, it won't work with blocks that have been heavily-modified and aren't captured in the server logs. It also won't properly match blocks that have been heavily modified with falling nodes (sand and gravel falling is not logged), buckets (empty bucket use is logged, lava and water bucket placement is not, and lava cooling is not), TNT (TNT placement and explosion is logged, but not the exact nodes which were affected), saplings (sapling placement and growth is logged, but not the exact nodes which were affected), and countless other things that I don't feel like trying to guess right now (I could probably create an exhaustive list if I had to).

But maybe this could be considered as a technique to use alongside whatever other techniques can be found. I'd happily try this myself if I had the disk space and especially the internet (I could probably gather up the disk space but our internet is limited to 10 G/month). I could run it on one of ExeterDad's computers/servers but that would require him trusting me to not screw him over...

noob101
In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Post

Sorry to say, but I can't contribute much here. I have a few snippets of spawn area and of four main roads in the four cardinal directions, plus my area, over 17k away from spawn with noone's stuff around for nodes on end.
The whole thing is under 94MB in size, and I can provide it if you'd like, and send a link to my private server via PM.

EDIT: the file's last changed on Wed 13th.

This is a much downsized overview:
hometown_latest.jpg
hometown_latest.jpg (456.49 KiB) Viewed 855 times
On the other hand: Since this already happened, please consider a fresh new start. I did it once before on another server, and though I remember my old builds fondly (and did not save them back then), I embraced the cleanup, after all. Especially since I was a moderator there and one task was to remove unfinished and abandoned buildings - by hand...

MORE EDIT: One thing to consider maybe is separating spawn and shopping area, as players with older/less powerful machines get hit upside their heads when trying to load spawn area. Spawn in a nearly empty area is better for that, and then add something like teleport pads, travelnet or some tp command like /go to get to other important places, like the new shop area.

CU n101

mickeyfmann

by mickeyfmann » Post

Sorry for all the stress, stuff like this is never fun but accidents happen. I'm curious to know if anyone has anything saved around 1808.5, 13.5, -4569.7, I was doing a massive build both above and below that. Sucks because the last time I got this far on it the server I was playing on shutdown for good and I lost it all then too.

Also this is the first I've heard of saving data locally, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do that? Might save me some frustration in the future.

noob101

by noob101 » Post

mickeyfmann wrote:Also this is the first I've heard of saving data locally, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do that? Might save me some frustration in the future.
Find your minetest.conf and add the line

Code: Select all

enable_local_map_saving = true
or change it to true if the entry exists already.

random_geek

by random_geek » Post

micheal65536 wrote:I just had another idea, but this one depends on how far back the server logs go...
micheal65536, I appreciate your dedication, but ExeterDad already said he's already given up on data recovery. Period. :)

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

random_geek wrote:
micheal65536 wrote:I just had another idea, but this one depends on how far back the server logs go...
micheal65536, I appreciate your dedication, but ExeterDad already said he's already given up on data recovery. Period. :)
Only because he couldn't find any other way to recover it.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

first sorcerykids jt2 server falls of the edge of the world and now hometown looses it's memory. some mighty entity out there seems to think I spend too much time playing :D

oh well, seems I stopped taking regular mapsaves as the writing-to-disc procedure made mt hard to play on my ancient underpowered setup.

I have a mapsave from around february2018 but many places on that map where visited mid 2017 or earlier.(https://nofile.io/f/Ab5WwDRnjhO/map.zip) So if we have no way to compare mapblock ages I would consider most of the map oudated by a year. places I visited more recently would be my bases at the lake and the neighbouring abodes of my nephew and niece plus the pink house on the hilltop (some 1480 N and 1900-2200 E) and some underground activity all the way from spawn to about 2000m to the east and maybe1600m to the north. I can't remember when I completed the tunnels right up to the northern lookout tower maybe at 4000 north near the end of the road that went through the length of the lake past my base. The tunnel networks where at -50 and -100 with some single tunnels going way deeper. Minimauts castle would probably be as of mid 2017 just as some of the upland lakes I scattered all over the place. Hope you use the same seed as base for the new map, there where quite some interesting landscapes.
Spoiler
Spoiler

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

twoelk wrote:...and now hometown looses it's memory.
Ha ha! Looks like we need "re-branded".
HOMETOWN Amnesia!
I like it :P

Miss Micah
In-game: micah

by Miss Micah » Post

So is this kind of like a puzzle where you have to put the map together?
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

random_geek

by random_geek » Post

Miss Micah wrote:So is this kind of like a puzzle where you have to put the map together?
Yes, sort of like a puzzle, except it's multi-layered and none of it makes any sense. :)

noob101

by noob101 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
twoelk wrote:...and now hometown looses it's memory.
Ha ha! Looks like we need "re-branded".
HOMETOWN Amnesia!
I like it :P
Sounds silly, err, I mean good enough. DO IT! Just for the fun of it!
Also I am glad you did not lose your sense of humor over all the trouble. Thumbs up, EDad!