by ChimneySwift » Post

The server hasn't been up for 5 hours.

The end is nigh.
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: [Server] HOMETOWN

by ExeterDad » Post

Sorry guys. I was asleep during restart. The server never came back up.
My fault.... I've been working too much with javascript lately. I accidentally used a "!" instead of "not" in a condition of some code I tweaked.
pOoF! :/

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

ExeterDad wrote: My fault.... I've been working too much with javascript lately. I accidentally used a "!" instead of "not" in a condition of some code I tweaked.
Ha! I know that feeling XD

Always use "then" and "~=" in Python and ":" and "!=" in lua for some reason XD

pangland
In-game: pangland

by pangland » Post

HT is back XD Morning HT !

random_geek
GitHub: random-geek
In-game: Techy5 random_geek

by random_geek » Post

ChimneySwift wrote:
ExeterDad wrote: My fault.... I've been working too much with javascript lately. I accidentally used a "!" instead of "not" in a condition of some code I tweaked.
Ha! I know that feeling XD

Always use "then" and "~=" in Python and ":" and "!=" in lua for some reason XD
I use C++, Python, and Lua. Therefore, I code like this:

Code: Select all

for int i = 0; i in range(100); i++ do: {

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

random_geek wrote:
I use C++, Python, and Lua. Therefore, I code like this:

Code: Select all

for int i = 0; i in range(100); i++ do: {
have you ever considered making your own language? That's something special right there.

doyousketch2
GitHub: doyousketch2
In-game: Sketch2

by doyousketch2 » Post

Getting spammed again. Was racist WWII propaganda the other day.
This time, who knows what he's saying. Looks like a lot of gibberish 'bout his bum.

Says he's got a VPN, so he can relog for a new IP.
You'll need to blacklist VPN's to combat this.
https://github.com/doyousketch2/VPN_blocklist

The word on the net is that iptables are faster than nginx, so that's the way it was written.
Hashtables are supposed to be even faster -- https://n0where.net/iptables-blacklist-script

Didn't look into the hashtable solution much, but you're welcome to.
Either way, it would be nice to see the spammers stop.

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

It's almost sad to see people degraded to the point of finding amusement out of mindlessly annoying people like this. Lets hope they just stop after some point.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

doyousketch2 wrote:Getting spammed again. Was racist WWII propaganda the other day.
This time, who knows what he's saying. Looks like a lot of gibberish 'bout his bum.

Says he's got a VPN, so he can relog for a new IP.
You'll need to blacklist VPN's to combat this.
https://github.com/doyousketch2/VPN_blocklist

The word on the net is that iptables are faster than nginx, so that's the way it was written.
Hashtables are supposed to be even faster -- https://n0where.net/iptables-blacklist-script

Didn't look into the hashtable solution much, but you're welcome to.
Either way, it would be nice to see the spammers stop.
Nice idea, but I can see bad side effects. Some respectable people use VPNs when connecting to the Internet from public networks for security. (I plan to start doing that when I set up my own VPN server)

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

My workplace is on a VPN so there's that. But that 4 year old VPN list doesn't put it in danger anyway. I'm not a fan of plopping in a random list of blocked IP's and such not knowing where they were sourced from.

@doyousketch2 Pssst! A Nginx list has nothing to do with a Minetest server :P
Although the media server is powered by it.

Melchior

by Melchior » Post

The lag is STILL present;

Its especially noticeable when repairing an item on the anvil.

Messages are out-of-sync from client side 'hitting' and the actual repair action (keep GUI open) on the damage bar is not that lagged....

Also when placing alot of blocks/farming fast - things are pretty delayed (all places happen in a burst - e.g. 10 wheat all at once).

Its not "normal" latency. Its like a DB commit delay or something.

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

It is quite interesting... I made a CSM to record real-world server responsiveness over a period of time, and I tested it on 2 servers, top is HOMETOWN and bottom is subgames for all:

The data was collected at different times, and there isn't as much data for HOMETOWN, but it's still obvious. A night and day difference, not only is HOMETOWN a lot higher, but it's super spiky...

Network pings to the HOMETOWN server are averaging at 220ms and to Subgames for All at 366ms (so Subgames for All's response is near-instant).

Obviously HOMETOWN also has a lot more load on it, but they had about the same amount of players.

This also doesn't really narrow down the cause of the lag, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.
Last edited by ChimneySwift on Thu Aug 16, 2018 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

I'm not understanding your graphs? They aren't in the same format. Also Pings to Blocky are larger. So to me that means response is slower. *confused

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

No, pings to subgames are hundreds of ms, and pings to hometown are thousands of ms (read ping time axis on the left, they are the same units)

The bottom axis doesn't really matter even though it's different

EDIT: Although yeah, I thought those graphs were closer than they are. I made some changes to how I graphed them with later iterations of the mod.

Another Edit: Blocky? Wth? I've had the serverlist on my mind recently obviously... I meant subgames. Updated OP too.
Last edited by ChimneySwift on Thu Aug 16, 2018 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

So you're saying pings from your location to HOMETOWN's server range from 1.5 to 14.5 real seconds?? Blocky is in Germany and HOMETOWN is Kansas City Missouri. Without getting out a globe I'd guess they are pretty close to the same straight line distance to you. I'd love to see a traceroute to both locations from your local. But not in the forums of course :)
From my location.. roughly a thousand miles from the server, HOMETOWN's ping ranges from 49 to 112 ms. Sometimes as high as the upper 100's but as you said.... it's jumpy. But nowhere near your numbers!

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

ExeterDad wrote:So you're saying pings from your location to HOMETOWN's server range from 1.5 to 14.5 real seconds?? Blocky is in Germany and HOMETOWN is Kansas City Missouri. Without getting out a globe I'd guess they are pretty close to the same straight line distance to you. I'd love to see a traceroute to both locations from your local. But not in the forums of course :)
From my location.. roughly a thousand miles from the server, HOMETOWN's ping ranges from 49 to 112 ms. Sometimes as high as the upper 100's but as you said.... it's jumpy. But nowhere near your numbers!
I think my entire post was pretty unclear now that I read back XD

Firstly, I screwed up and wrote blocky survival instead of Subgames for All...

Secondly, I neglected to mention that these aren't direct network pings (like, using the ping tool) In fact, I get relatively decent pings to hometown at 220ms average - fairly stable. I haven't found another server with better pings than that, though I haven't tested many. I just ran a traceroute, I'll PM it to you after I post if you're still interested.

Anyway, the graphs are actual server responsiveness tests. The CSM runs /status and waits for a reply, then logs how long it took from the request to the reply. So while these pings include the network latency on top, the real metric they're getting is the server lag, not network lag.

That's why hometown's are so high at the moment, with the lag issues we're having.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Now it's making sense. Thanks for clearing that up. As depressing as it is. :P

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Now it's making sense. Thanks for clearing that up. As depressing as it is. :P
Haha, well I know the server used to have near-instant response like can be seen on the subgames server, so I have no idea what's causing it, but it's definitely something abnormal.

lprchaum_
In-game: lprchaum

by lprchaum_ » Post

Wow, those ChimneySwift graphs look really depressing, and unfortunately also reflects my player experience on the server. Everything takes up to 10 seconds to finally complete.

Melchior's DB commit lag sounds plausible. There's something slowing things down, but I know it's hard to profile a live running system. Good luck hunting the bug!
l-rbt l-ʻštrt ʼšr qdš ʼz w-šnt lmʼš ʼlm b-bty šnt km h kkb m ʼl -Pyrgi Tablets

pangland

by pangland » Post

The lag problem become worst after the server map lost last time. Is there any correlation between these two issue. Besides, I found that the flowers growth rate had increased after the server map lost.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

pangland wrote:Besides, I found that the flowers growth rate had increased after the server map lost.
Actually, the growth rate did not increase. Something glitched during the map reconstruction and for some reason the flowers (and grass) doubled in existing areas.

I've been theorising about why it happened and while I can't figure it out what actually happened I'm guessing it has something to do with the map generator not being 100% deterministic (specifically, if you generate the same map/seed twice the flowers will be in slightly different places because the exact placement of each flower is determined by a random number function at generation time and not derived from the map seed). What doesn't make sense though is that it also happened with some (not all) flowers that have been placed by hand, not just the naturally-generated ones, and also the map generator was apparently run before the recovered map blocks were imported so the original flowers would have replaced the new ones and the map generator would not have run again for the replaced block.

But the growth rate has not increased. I have not seen this happen at all with newly-generated blocks, only ones that were recovered. In areas where this happens, the number of flowers in one area also exceeds the flower growth limit (flowers will not grow if there are more than 3 flowers in a 4-node radius of each other), and I have checked that this limit is still present in 0.4.17.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

micheal65536 wrote: Actually, the growth rate did not increase. Something glitched during the map reconstruction and for some reason the flowers (and grass) doubled in existing areas..
Actually you are incorrect. The flower growth rate soared upon upgrading to Minetest 0.4.17.1
Paramat has reworked how flowers grow and our server got to be the proving grounds. Someone noticed and submitted pictures of HOMETOWN's flower epidemic to the devs. The grow code has since been adjusted and merged into master. I cherry picked the changes and applied them a few days ago. But there's no simple way to revert what has grown. We just need to pick them. :)
Heh heh.... something similar happened in the past when he made some changes that turned all our flowers into dry shrubs. I think we even had a bounty on dry shrubs. We'd reward gold for the shrubs just to get them removed from the server.
Since the map rebuild, and Minetest upgrade... we now have ABM warnings in the logs of ABM's taking too long to run. If you remember, I eliminated a ton of ABM's and we never got those warnings. But now, with no changed mods, we are getting them again.
Edit:
I've run the profiler a couple times since we came back online trying to find the culprit. As far as I can tell we have so much fat trimmed back that all the mobs combined have the largest percentage of the resources. Take a wild guess what comes in second? Default mod. Mobs are actually dumbed down so much that default (mainly on_punch) actually looks bad on the profiler.
I'm running a copy of HOMETOWN on a dev server trying to find what's silently happening. I'll be running it bare bones soon. Adding one mod (or tweak) at a time until it starts acting up.
I'm hoping I don't have to add a timer to each and every function to find what's holding things up :/

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

ExeterDad wrote:But there's no simple way to revert what has grown. We just need to pick them. :)
My farming shop should still be buying flowers. Good way to earn gold :P
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

pangland

by pangland » Post

Your white flower vending machine is out of stock XD

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Me more than a year ago:
Me now:
Boy do things change .-.

(I was sifting through the pages from like page 40.. so much good stuff back there :o )
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.