[Server] HOMETOWN

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: [Server] HOMETOWN

by BBmine » Post

micheal65536 wrote:Is the HOMETOWN server back up yet (I don't mean the Minetest server that we play on, I mean the actual hardware/VM)? Survival X was up when I checked a few minutes ago.
Pinged it and 100% packet loss, so I guess not.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

BBmine wrote:
micheal65536 wrote:Is the HOMETOWN server back up yet (I don't mean the Minetest server that we play on, I mean the actual hardware/VM)? Survival X was up when I checked a few minutes ago.
That won't answer the question. For the past week or so, the server's been running but offline (meaning that it probably won't respond to pings). So just because it didn't respond to the pings doesn't mean it's not running.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

The server became visible about 15 minutes ago. I had a audible ping set up with a very loud alarm lol.
Although my help ticket states my service was restored 7 hours ago. Even odder, Linux reports a uptime of 16 days, not a few minutes as I would of thought.
Me thinks they weren't entirely honest about the whole thing.
Anyhow... it seems the resume part of the script is working.

Count: 3443 of 3600 (95.64%)
Generating (-7824,-32,-27456) (-6816,112,-28464)

GipNovoRBX
In-game: bucky

by GipNovoRBX » Post

Never trust Linux 16 Day Uptime is garfoogles

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

GipNovoRBX wrote:Never trust Linux 16 Day Uptime is garfoogles
I don't even know how to read this? Linux servers rarely need a reboot. I usually finally decide to reboot when it reaches 65 days uptime or so. And not for any particular reason other than to load a updated lib or blow out the memory. Heck... I just checked my laptop. It hasn't been rebooted for 45 days.

GipNovoRBX

by GipNovoRBX » Post

Hasn't been rebooted for 45 days!!? dang Well let's hope the backup doesn't crash at the last minute since your close to being done filling blocks

GipNovoRBX

by GipNovoRBX » Post

Btw with every new server someone hosts with Linux that's one more problem other Linux servers have to deal with also how much is your server costing you each month I know Hypixel pays 2,000 for their server. Is Linux a cheaper Solution?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Linux doesn't require a restart when updating, so you can find Linux servers with years of uptime

Linux is the most used OS on servers. It is a popular choice because you get better performance than windows and don't have to pay a license fee. Using Windows to host a Minetest server is frankly stupid
GipNovoRBX wrote: Btw with every new server someone hosts with Linux that's one more problem other Linux servers have to deal with
I literally have no idea what this means, please learn punctuation
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Miss Micah
In-game: micah

by Miss Micah » Post

GipNovoRBX wrote:Btw with every new server someone hosts with Linux, that's one more problem other Linux servers have to deal with.
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

GipNovoRBX

by GipNovoRBX » Post

rubenwardy wrote: I literally have no idea what this means, please learn punctuation
Exeter was having a problem with Linux using the hometown IP with Survival X it made both servers linked for some reason

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

That isn't possible and isn't something that Linux would decide anyway
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

GipNovoRBX wrote:Exeter was having a problem with Linux using the hometown IP with Survival X it made both servers linked for some reason
It wasn't Linux's fault. It was because they are both hosted at the same place and they had a cooling issue and had to shut everything down. Windows won't make it have less cooling problems.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Even odder, Linux reports a uptime of 16 days, not a few minutes as I would of thought.
Me thinks they weren't entirely honest about the whole thing.
Is it a dedicated server or a VPS? Perhaps it was "suspended" in some way? (Actually this could also apply to a dedicated server - it could've been suspended rather than hard powered-off.) If the system is suspended ("sleep" or "hibernate" mode) then the uptime won't be reset (and the time for which the system was suspended will actually be included in the uptime even though the system wasn't actually running).
ExeterDad wrote:<-- snip -->
rubenwardy wrote:<-- snip -->
Ignore this guy, he sounds like a troll to me.
BBmine wrote:Windows won't make it have less cooling problems.
If anything it will cause more cooling problems. :P

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

micheal65536 wrote:Ignore this guy, he sounds like a troll to me.
meh. No skin off my %#!$ I decided right away I wouldn't topple him off his soapbox. Although I'm no authority, it's quite possible I've been using Linux since the time his Daddy required training wheels.
micheal65536 wrote:Is it a dedicated server or a VPS? Perhaps it was "suspended" in some way? (Actually this could also apply to a dedicated server - it could've been suspended rather than hard powered-off.) If the system is suspended ("sleep" or "hibernate" mode) then the uptime won't be reset (and the time for which the system was suspended will actually be included in the uptime even though the system wasn't actually running).
It's dedicated of course. A outdated box doesn't cost much more than a beefy VPS anyway. It wouldn't make sense.
As far as the box being suspended or put in hybernation (very likely if they cut the power), it wouldn't take much to pull up journalctl logs to find evidence of how it all went down. But that's a ten minute investment I'm not going to mess with. I won't be losing sleep over it. I guess I'd like to know if they were blowing smoke about the "huge issue" and simply lost the network or something. Oh well. Moving on.
rubenwardy wrote: <-- multi-snipped-->
If you're ever in my area, please look me up. :)
GipNovoRBX wrote:Exeter was having a problem with Linux
Oh I can't resist... This is about the only thing you stated that makes sense. Yes... I screwed up. I made a mistake. I was careless while trying hard to work smart. I own this. But it had nothing to do with Linux. I've accidentally wiped out my entire rooted Android phone with half my life on it before. And it wasn't Androids fault.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:I've accidentally wiped out my entire rooted Android phone with half my life on it before.
Oh, you too?

jk, although I've had a few close calls. I did once lose all the data for a specific app when I was messing with app configuration files. I also managed to partially recover some important photos that I had accidentally deleted by copying the thumbnails from the image viewer's thumbnail cache (obviously they weren't full-resolution and fortunately it wasn't sentimental stuff but it was enough to finish the job that I needed the photos for).

As I often say about Android rooting (and about Linux in general), it's easier to break stuff but it's also easier to fix it when it breaks. That's a good-enough tradeoff for me to be able to get done what I want/need to get done without some stupid software limitation getting in the way (seriously, when I see the clumsy workarounds that Windows users come up with just to get on with life I'm glad I have the technical knowledge to maintain and use a well-configured Linux system - obviously it's not for everyone and for many people the extra work that they have to put in to setting up and maintaining the system itself is not worth it, which is why so many people still use Windows even though they (sometimes) get frustrated by it).

EDIT: That wasn't supposed to be so long. I was going to just post the first line as a witty remark, then I decided to add the anecdotes that became the second paragraph, and then somehow I went on to add a third paragraph discussing the use of Linux in general.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

micheal65536 wrote:
BBmine wrote:
That won't answer the question. For the past week or so, the server's been running but offline (meaning that it probably won't respond to pings). So just because it didn't respond to the pings doesn't mean it's not running.
Um. Now when I ping it, it actually pings.

GipNovoRBX

by GipNovoRBX » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
micheal65536 wrote:Ignore this guy, he sounds like a troll to me.
meh. No skin off my %#!$ I decided right away I wouldn't topple him off his soapbox. Although I'm no authority, it's quite possible I've been using Linux since the time his Daddy required training wheels.
micheal65536 wrote:Is it a dedicated server or a VPS? Perhaps it was "suspended" in some way? (Actually this could also apply to a dedicated server - it could've been suspended rather than hard powered-off.) If the system is suspended ("sleep" or "hibernate" mode) then the uptime won't be reset (and the time for which the system was suspended will actually be included in the uptime even though the system wasn't actually running).
It's dedicated of course. A outdated box doesn't cost much more than a beefy VPS anyway. It wouldn't make sense.
As far as the box being suspended or put in hybernation (very likely if they cut the power), it wouldn't take much to pull up journalctl logs to find evidence of how it all went down. But that's a ten minute investment I'm not going to mess with. I won't be losing sleep over it. I guess I'd like to know if they were blowing smoke about the "huge issue" and simply lost the network or something. Oh well. Moving on.
rubenwardy wrote: <-- multi-snipped-->
If you're ever in my area, please look me up. :)
GipNovoRBX wrote:Exeter was having a problem with Linux
Oh I can't resist... This is about the only thing you stated that makes sense. Yes... I screwed up. I made a mistake. I was careless while trying hard to work smart. I own this. But it had nothing to do with Linux. I've accidentally wiped out my entire rooted Android phone with half my life on it before. And it wasn't Androids fault.
You Didn't Screw up stuff like that happens Maybe you lost a rooted phone but you are the only one doing your best. Just keep trying and the server will be fine. This is a problem that may be hard to fix but who else is gonna fix it. EDad you got this.

Miss Micah

by Miss Micah » Post

Seeeeeee you guys were being meanie heads for nothing, this guy isn’t all that bad! XP
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

GipNovoRBX

by GipNovoRBX » Post

Miss Micah wrote:Seeeeeee you guys were being meanie heads for nothing, this guy isn’t all that bad! XP
Goes To show how developers treat fans

Miss Micah

by Miss Micah » Post

GipNovoRBX wrote:
Miss Micah wrote:Seeeeeee you guys were being meanie heads for nothing, this guy isn’t all that bad! XP
Well I just think they miss understood you, that’s all :)
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD

GipNovoRBX

by GipNovoRBX » Post

Miss Micah wrote:
GipNovoRBX wrote:
Well I just think they miss understood you, that’s all :)
No they didn't I've dealt with people like this they only understand putting people down

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

GipNovoRBX wrote:No they didn't I've dealt with people like this they only understand putting people down
Lol
You happen to know anyone named FGH? No offense but you remind me of them. Please take the off topic to another forum or start to contribute to the topic instead of putting down the 'devs' who work very hard in return for nothing but maybe some stress here and there.

Try to start an argument and I will report your posts
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

GipNovoRBX

by GipNovoRBX » Post

I was being nice to them ask Micah they were the ones putting me down

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
GipNovoRBX wrote:No they didn't I've dealt with people like this they only understand putting people down
Lol
You happen to know anyone named FGH? No offense but you remind me of them. Please take the off topic to another forum or start to contribute to the topic instead of putting down the 'devs' who work very hard in return for nothing but maybe some stress here and there.

*Ahem*, why is it when ppl say "no offense" they are involuntary highly offensive? Though i do agree he was getting offtopic.

Also, there's nothing wrong with discussing (a.k.a. arguing to some), as long as it isn't offtopic :-).
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Miss Micah

by Miss Micah » Post

Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:
Lol

*Ahem*, why is it when ppl say "no offense" they are involuntary highly offensive? Though i do agree he was getting offtopic.

Also, there's nothing wrong with discussing (a.k.a. arguing to some), as long as it isn't offtopic :-).
OMG EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! Like when people say no offense, people will automatically take offense because it’s usually always offensive! You literally can’t say anything this day and age without hurting someone’s feelings! I know he was being off topic, but if he wasn’t off topic and there was a discussion, grow some skin, and discuss! Also how can such a small disagreement be reported? Wouldn’t that be kinda abusive to report a small argument that’s not hurting anyone?
God's Not Dead!!
You are Loved!!
Hiya! I'm Miss Micah XD