[Server] HOMETOWN

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: [Server] HOMETOWN

by BBmine » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
BBmine wrote:Oh ok. I feel like they shouldn't change player models, especially with old worlds that already have a lot of builds! Imagine all the rebuilding! :P
There will certainly be massive compatibility issues when it's finally released. Players with new clients will only be able to play on compatible servers. And thats only new servers, or well established servers with a major overhaul to existing mods and special server code. It's gonna be a pain. Fortunately servers running the latest will have code that will reject connections from older clients. Of course... shutting them out. New clients will be able to connect to older servers, but as you've discovered things are just wrong, maybe even worse by the time it's released. I'd be surprised if servers jumped right on the new server code as it will eliminate a bunch of clients until they've had the chance to upgrade the client.
This isn't a surprise. It was announced in the MT forums that dev would soon be introducing breaking code. They even let us know the last commit we could use to build from before that code started hitting. Normally I would of ran the server with the bleeding edge dev as I love new features as they start happening. But not now. I will however try to take patches that don't break things and add if it fixes something major.
This kind of stuff is making me seriously consider getting Minecraft.

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

BBmine wrote:
ExeterDad wrote: There will certainly be massive compatibility issues when it's finally released. Players with new clients will only be able to play on compatible servers. And thats only new servers, or well established servers with a major overhaul to existing mods and special server code. It's gonna be a pain. Fortunately servers running the latest will have code that will reject connections from older clients. Of course... shutting them out. New clients will be able to connect to older servers, but as you've discovered things are just wrong, maybe even worse by the time it's released. I'd be surprised if servers jumped right on the new server code as it will eliminate a bunch of clients until they've had the chance to upgrade the client.
This isn't a surprise. It was announced in the MT forums that dev would soon be introducing breaking code. They even let us know the last commit we could use to build from before that code started hitting. Normally I would of ran the server with the bleeding edge dev as I love new features as they start happening. But not now. I will however try to take patches that don't break things and add if it fixes something major.
When you get Minecraft, good luck to select correct version that is suitable with your PC hardware and software so that it didn't crash your PC because certain GPU is not compatible with certain build for some unknown reasons, and some GPU-accelerator software are also not compatible with Minecraft, and all settings in Java that needs to be modified... If it crash, well, select other version and retry, and re-modify Java settings... and if it's crash, repeat process... :P Beware of blue screen of death (BSOD) as well... (Unless you're playing the mobile or Windows App version, but beware for smartphone reboot / Windows app not responding halfway playing, especially on medium or lower end smartphones / Windows 10 PCs)

Come back to Minetest when you're bored with Minecraft... :P

kievski
In-game: kievski or swansky

by kievski » Post

ExeterDad, Kibbie

I'm helping pangland out with his five-storied pagoda on Fascination Street, between ynomrah's mansion and my place. Is it possible for you to add me to the pro-blocks higher up, as I can't help him out above the first roof we've just done?

kievski

Ps. Were the Apple Festival group pictures posted anywhere yet?

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Some may know my little fishing hut entrance to the mines near spawn or have even used some of the tunnelsystem I have dug to the east and north.

Here are some somewhat older pics of places I have been active at in the north

My first hideout in the northern woods. My nephew and niece have settled nearby and soon enough someone else opened a shop near our community

Where our little forest river meets the big northern lake that stretches all the way to spawn there is a little pond like bay where I built my new main base. You can still see the size of the first little cobble hut under the timber framed expansion.

Soon enough I started exploring further north along the new road and near it's current end started to build a tower. Under that stump dreaming to become a proper tower I carved a new cavern to gain enough building material.
Attachments
screenshot_20170816_034310cavern.jpg
screenshot_20170816_034310cavern.jpg (291.8 KiB) Viewed 813 times
screenshot_20170712_040425cropped.jpg
screenshot_20170712_040425cropped.jpg (107.54 KiB) Viewed 813 times
screenshot_20170621_205308pondhouse.jpg
screenshot_20170621_205308pondhouse.jpg (278.72 KiB) Viewed 813 times

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

kievski wrote:Is it possible for you to add me to the pro-blocks higher up, as I can't help him out above the first roof we've just done?
Done. Added you to two pro's one near the top where work is happening, and one higher.
Is this what you needed?

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

twoelk wrote:I carved a new cavern to gain enough building material.
You my friend are the most artistic (and determined) cavern builder I know.
I have to confess... I've carved many caverns while trying to think as you would. Naturally I can't :P

kievski

by kievski » Post

Thanks ExeterDad. It should be OK with what pangland has in mind.

kievski

by kievski » Post

twoelk, is that cavern below your "Desert Outpost"?

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

kievski wrote:twoelk, is that cavern below your "Desert Outpost"?
Indeed

XtremeHacker
GitHub: MisterXtreme
IRC: MrXtreme
In-game: MrXtreme

by XtremeHacker » Post

muhdnurhidayat wrote:
BBmine wrote:
ExeterDad wrote: There will certainly be massive compatibility issues when it's finally released. Players with new clients will only be able to play on compatible servers. And thats only new servers, or well established servers with a major overhaul to existing mods and special server code. It's gonna be a pain. Fortunately servers running the latest will have code that will reject connections from older clients. Of course... shutting them out. New clients will be able to connect to older servers, but as you've discovered things are just wrong, maybe even worse by the time it's released. I'd be surprised if servers jumped right on the new server code as it will eliminate a bunch of clients until they've had the chance to upgrade the client.
When you get Minecraft, good luck to select correct version that is suitable with your PC hardware and software so that it didn't crash your PC because certain GPU is not compatible with certain build for some unknown reasons, and some GPU-accelerator software are also not compatible with Minecraft, and all settings in Java that needs to be modified... If it crash, well, select other version and retry, and re-modify Java settings... and if it's crash, repeat process... :P Beware of blue screen of death (BSOD) as well... (Unless you're playing the mobile or Windows App version, but beware for smartphone reboot / Windows app not responding halfway playing, especially on medium or lower end smartphones / Windows 10 PCs)

Come back to Minetest when you're bored with Minecraft... :P
In all my time of playing MC, even a 2006 machine can run MC nicely with about $50 CAD to get a better video card (GeForce 210), and some RAM.
If you say that

Code: Select all

function.name_of_thing_to_do
is impossible, then you didn't try hard enough. :P

Mods I work on: MicroExpansion

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

I need to report a possible hacking of supjk's account. Recently someone told me that supjk's never EVER coming back to the server. That's just odd. Just now, I saw supjk's house has been ripped up on the inside. She just wouldn't do that! I feel like someone went into her account and did that. I think the last ip used to log into that account should be compared with the others she used.

pangland
In-game: pangland

by pangland » Post

Hello ExeterDad/Kibbie,

Pre discussion with kiko in game, some players try to create different new account and keep log in and log out at the server. This action cause a huge laggy of the server.

Someone usually did such action after the server time(01:00am), the time which does not have most of moderator/admin.

It is easily to identify such action since it keep using the pattern of <player><numbers> to creating new account. For example, abc123, haha789... etc.

Kiko suggested me to upload those screenshot here and I had one of it.
Screenshot_2017-09-02-16-50-52.png
Screenshot_2017-09-02-16-50-52.png (361.1 KiB) Viewed 813 times
pangland

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

pangland wrote:Hello ExeterDad/Kibbie,

Pre discussion with kiko in game, some players try to create different new account and keep log in and log out at the server. This action cause a huge laggy of the server.

Someone usually did such action after the server time(01:00am), the time which does not have most of moderator/admin.

It is easily to identify such action since it keep using the pattern of <player><numbers> to creating new account. For example, abc123, haha789... etc.

pangland
Oh yeah! I saw that last night when I was playing.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

By: MoonKitten
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

pangland
Yeah this happens daily at different times on pretty much all the severs. I can't prove it, nor stop it. But I believe it is some sort of bot script. The "players" come in one right after another and seem to hang around for 3 minutes or so and then just "leave". There is some sort of AI as they will randomly move around a little bit and randomly hit things.
All these names are slightly odd and usually have 2-3 digits on the tail of them.
The bad thing about these "suspected bots" that show up at about the same time is that they do not have the same IP's

MommyKat
In-game: MommyKat DrClaw AriaJade

by MommyKat » Post

ExeterDad wrote:

pangland
Yeah this happens daily at different times on pretty much all the severs. I can't prove it, nor stop it. But I believe it is some sort of bot script. The "players" come in one right after another and seem to hang around for 3 minutes or so and then just "leave". There is some sort of AI as they will randomly move around a little bit and randomly hit things.
All these names are slightly odd and usually have 2-3 digits on the tail of them.
The bad thing about these "suspected bots" that show up at about the same time is that they do not have the same IP's
This is just a theory, but, given that we have several third-party apps that use the Minetest platform, i.e. Multicraft, they may be stress testing the various servers to see which are the best functioning and most user friendly. They make money only if the players stick around, so they aren't going to want to send players to awful servers. I've noticed that "noob" traffic, i.e. the numbered names that are not from the actual Minecraft app, seem to ebb and flow month to month on various servers. One month, we have a ton on IFS. The next, they're all over Hometown. Fozland went from one of the most popular to a ghost town in less than 2 weeks.
In short, if this is the case, there really isn't much that can be done about it.
"If you don't have a good sense of humor, you're better off dead!" --Roger Rabbit

"Love feels a lot like tomatoes"-Candace Flynn

pangland

by pangland » Post

ExeterDad wrote:

pangland
I thought same about it. It should be some kind of bot. Whatever what the purpose it is, the outcome is that it cause a terrible laggy to server after it happen.

Players cannot even move or build in this case, it would not be a good thing for the sustainable of the server.

Pangland

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

pangland wrote:Players cannot even move or build in this case, it would not be a good thing for the sustainable of the server.
I agree. Believe me, we aren't adding any kind of bots. Yes... we have mobs, but no bots.
I'm currently working on a few things that should "help" with the performance. I just need to complete a few parts and I'll be adding soon after better testing.

pangland

by pangland » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
pangland wrote:Players cannot even move or build in this case, it would not be a good thing for the sustainable of the server.
I agree. Believe me, we aren't adding any kind of bots. Yes... we have mobs, but no bots.
I'm currently working on a few things that should "help" with the performance. I just need to complete a few parts and I'll be adding soon after better testing.
I totally believe you, ExeterDad:). I just afraid some hacker using bot Malware to attack the server causing laggy.

It is the best server I ever play :) I love it.

Cpt_mcg
GitHub: CptMcg
IRC: mcg
In-game: mcg Captain_FluffCat

by Cpt_mcg » Post

Sorry I have been away for several days.
I have been away for so long because 1. School is starting tomorrow 2. I have been doing family stuff and 3. I haven't had much time for minetest xD.
Sooooo...Fair warning! I won't be on for long periods of time due to school.
xD I'm a weird gamer, I cannot help it :P
BBmine needs help, help him :P
I need to be nicer than nice.
Je connais un peu de français.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

So... with this latest minetest-dev, I can't connect to any servers :P

LaserJet
In-game: LaserJet

by LaserJet » Post

sup i was playing on singleplayer for a while now i want to join you all again when me and my family
are done renovating our house not from hurricane harvey (we had no flooding inside the house)
so we could sell it.

hope to see yall soon
In order, LaserJet, RubyJet, and xYOSIYAx are my usernames with my currently used one is xYOSIYAx (because I had to have the same username everywhere). You may call me xY or my username

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

LaserJet wrote:sup i was playing on singleplayer for a while now i want to join you all again when me and my family
are done renovating our house not from hurricane harvey (we had no flooding inside the house)
so we could sell it.

hope to see yall soon
HEY! Glad to hear y'all haven't been flooded!

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

A player was saying something about hurricane kiko around the Philippines or something...
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Expect at best a eight minute downtime during restart. I've put a script inline with the restart script that will do more work then I feel like describing in two lines or less. In a nut shell, it will remove all junk players from the player database, and the auth.txt. It will not remove old players. Just players with untouched inventories, and super short log in times. I've done several dry runs with the script and I am mostly sure it will complete and restart the server unattended. If something goes wrong and the server doesn't start after eight minutes, or if it starts up and is goofy. It will just have to be that way until I wake up and can get to it in the morning. I plan to be asleep during restart :)

We can expect better performance as this deep cleaning is long overdue. The last dry run brought 189,000+ player records down to 35,000+
P.S. The first thing this script does is back up the files that are to be worked on in case something goes up in smoke.