[Server] HOMETOWN

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

Re: [Server] HOMETOWN

by ChimneySwift » Post

micheal65536 wrote:grep or some other kind of script appropriate for the format of the data?
The server uses sauth IIRC so you could probably whip up a script to check, but if it's been 6 months it's unlikely the data would be saved :/

BTW, am I the only one that's unable to connect to the server?
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

ChimneySwift wrote:BTW, am I the only one that's unable to connect to the server?
No. The server appears to be down at the moment (actually down, not just hung).

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

micheal65536 wrote:
ChimneySwift wrote:BTW, am I the only one that's unable to connect to the server?
Yeah down. I forgot yesterday was the due date for the bill. It should be back shortly. Sorry guys.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
micheal65536 wrote:
Yeah down. I forgot yesterday was the due date for the bill. It should be back shortly. Sorry guys.
The guys over at Rigs of Rods forgot once, and their host wiped the server.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

BBmine wrote:
ExeterDad wrote:
micheal65536 wrote:No. The server appears to be down at the moment (actually down, not just hung).
The guys over at Rigs of Rods forgot once, and their host wiped the server.
I'm assuming that ExeterDad has fixed and tested the backup script. I don't know if that's a reasonable assumption to make or not.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Backups? We need to backup?
lol

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Backups? We need to backup?
lol
Our poor 5400 rpm laptop drives can't keep up with map saving enabled.

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

AWS can do really cheap offsite backups IIRC, especially if you're talking ~60GB, for HDD storage that's nothing.

Melchior

by Melchior » Post

It would be nice to know WHEN / IF Hoppers will ever be re-enabled. Some of us DID use 'em.

Also Updated Hoppers using one of the well-designed mods would be great; viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20058

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Melchior wrote:It would be nice to know WHEN / IF Hoppers will ever be re-enabled. Some of us DID use 'em.

Also Updated Hoppers using one of the well-designed mods would be great; viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20058
He uses that mod. Or we have sorters at least
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

I can promise you one thing. We will not be converting to yet another Hoppers mod again. We started off with the one by Tenlus1. Then we moved to burli's version that worked using LBM and node timers (it also added the sorter). But since that broke all our eleventy-billion original hoppers and side hoppers, I "combined" the two mods which was a rewrite from heck. Plus conversion code, and code to prevent destroying the content of written books was created.
Our current version includes "chutes". They are simply named "side hoppers" as they identical to the side hoppers from the original version.

Also hoppers are disabled until I'm ready to turned them back on. I would of thought the message they emitted when you tried to place would of helped you to understand why they were disabled?

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

When it ends up just like with those memes about programming languages...

pangland
In-game: pangland

by pangland » Post

Hello everyone, here comes my third garden, "The euro Garden". It located near the east of spawn. Unlike my other gardens, The euro Garden is aims for providing a lovely home which near the spawn for those new to HT and avoiding them get lost at remote/unknown areas.

All houses are FREE to those new players who are well behaved in HT. There are only a single rule for residents in this garden, which is the house style should be build/remains in classic euro style.

Enjoy and feel free to contact me via. mailbox or in-game if you want to have a house in The euro Garden.
Attachments
screenshot_20180922_143958.png
screenshot_20180922_143958.png (777.64 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
screenshot_20180922_144302.png
screenshot_20180922_144302.png (540.02 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
screenshot_20180922_143834_1.png
screenshot_20180922_143834_1.png (542.73 KiB) Viewed 1502 times

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:I can promise you one thing. We will not be converting to yet another Hoppers mod again. We started off with the one by Tenlus1. Then we moved to burli's version that worked using LBM and node timers (it also added the sorter). But since that broke all our eleventy-billion original hoppers and side hoppers, I "combined" the two mods which was a rewrite from heck. Plus conversion code, and code to prevent destroying the content of written books was created.
Our current version includes "chutes". They are simply named "side hoppers" as they identical to the side hoppers from the original version.

Also hoppers are disabled until I'm ready to turned them back on. I would of thought the message they emitted when you tried to place would of helped you to understand why they were disabled?
Well, no working hoppers means that there is actually currently no way for players to exchange or deliver items when someone is offline (except for the mailboxes at spawn, which not everyone has or is aware of and which are limited to one box for everything).

It appears to me, by the way, that there is a bug in the LBM/node timer version (at least the one that I saw) where there is an ABM that is (unnecessarily and erroneously) continuously re-starting the node timer. This probably creates a lot of unnecessary lag.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

micheal65536 wrote:It appears to me, by the way, that there is a bug in the LBM/node timer version (at least the one that I saw) where there is an ABM <--snip-->
There are no ABM's used in our hoppers mod. It's the only reason I broke away from Tenplus1's version. Our timers are started with LBM, then they restart themselves after each run.
When profiling, Hoppers show very little in the results. As you know there are some VERY large hopper farms out there. And many of them. So even though the profiler isn't seeing the load, it has to be somewhere. Each node fires several times a second (at least 2), the code is looking for neighboring hoppers, side_hoppers, and several chestlike nodes. It's also looking above for dropped entities to pull into it. Each node it finds, it's comparing the found nodes inventory, to it's own and transferring and comparing again. This shows up in perf top as heavy and constant deserialization. So I disabled hoppers to see if it increased performance. I didn't remove the mod as I didn't want players to be concerned with massive farms of unkown nodes, or unknown knodes in the inventory.
As it turns out, there didn't seem to be any improvement with the hoppers disabled. I continue to test and make changes and choose to keep whatever overhead hoppers contributes OFF so it doesn't muck up whatever data I'm able to collect.
The hoppers will be back. The timers will likely fire a bit slower, and likely with a random time to insure they aren't all firing at the same moment.
This lag does not occur at my dev server, running 100% the exact mods, code, minetest and database (and machine) as the regular server.
It also doesn't seem to occur until we have at least 8-10 players on. I can't create that kind of load on the dev server so I'm forced to test on the live server (which I'm not a fan of). I also have to consider ihrFussels discovery that somehow "some" clients can hang a server during the duration of their login. I've yet to find the common denominator. And I've been watching heavily and logging extra data even heavier.

And yeah... I've been ingame building road, lot's of road. My tool involves constant and fast clicking. It depends on a response from the server so I can feel how often the lag occurs, and how long the delay is. It's painful.
But even still... There is enough road down that you can now drive a minecart from the Southern map edge, to the Northern map edge. That's a lot of tool clicking.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:The hoppers will be back. The timers will likely fire a bit slower, and likely with a random time to insure they aren't all firing at the same moment.
That's good to know. I was worried that this was going to end up like the mailboxes did.
ExeterDad wrote:This lag does not occur at my dev server, running 100% the exact mods, code, minetest and database (and machine) as the regular server.
It also doesn't seem to occur until we have at least 8-10 players on. I can't create that kind of load on the dev server so I'm forced to test on the live server (which I'm not a fan of). I also have to consider ihrFussels discovery that somehow "some" clients can hang a server during the duration of their login. I've yet to find the common denominator. And I've been watching heavily and logging extra data even heavier.
Interesting. The lag seems to be gone at the moment though so personally I would simply try re-enabling things one at a time until it comes back. Or try enabling one thing and see if the lag comes back, if it doesn't then disable that thing again and enable another thing, and so on. It might take a week or so between each enabling/disabling and the next one to properly determine if the lag is back or not though. I play regularly so if you want me to let you know if it's lagging at any particular time then I can.

lprchaum_
In-game: lprchaum

by lprchaum_ » Post

Lag is back. For the few past weeks there has been no lag but today I've experienced lag with chests and inventory. Just wanted to inform if there has been something turned on lately.
l-rbt l-ʻštrt ʼšr qdš ʼz w-šnt lmʼš ʼlm b-bty šnt km h kkb m ʼl -Pyrgi Tablets

KatzEyez
GitHub: KatzPetz
IRC: LadyK
In-game: LadyK

by KatzEyez » Post

Quick question. I'm back on again since going on a six month LOA from the game. I had already been aware of the crash that took out the server - my stuff was lost apparently, but that's ok. I'm rebuilding in a new area and am ok, other than one thing's still "wrong". ;) Just a minor thing really - my skin. May I please get a skin added? I had one before.

Idk if you have the original LadyK skin still, but I made up a new one. This is the "converted" image for MT.

Thanks! Oh and ^_^ thanks for getting the server back up! I would have missed it a lot!
Why wish upon a star when you can pray to the one who created it.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

It is just me, or there is quite a delay when digging blocks and such? Ping was about 200ms and max_lag at 1.7-2, felt worse this time.

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Fixer wrote:It is just me, or there is quite a delay when digging blocks and such? Ping was about 200ms and max_lag at 1.7-2, felt worse this time.
I don't think it's just you.

lprchaum_

by lprchaum_ » Post

Apparently it is down. Scheduled downtime or a surprise?

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

lprchaum_ wrote:Apparently it is down. Scheduled downtime or a surprise?
Just noticed that you can't ping the website. I guess someone forgot to pay the monthly bill.

lprchaum_

by lprchaum_ » Post

BBmine wrote:
lprchaum_ wrote:Apparently it is down. Scheduled downtime or a surprise?
Just noticed that you can't ping the website. I guess someone forgot to pay the monthly bill.
Wow, it's actually the same time of the month so this theory makes sense.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

I've gotten rid of all my protection blocks at my home, and anyone who wants to take stuff can do so as they please! I'm leaving the server, but coming back as Mettaton_NEO. I've put all my valuables in the chests at spawn.
What is SCP-055?

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

Attention HOMETOWNers!

\o/ The Halloween Shop is now open! \o/

Browse a selection of Halloween-related goods and get your hands on the much desired limited edition Halloween Costumes!

Just remember, resale of limited edition items is prohibited ;)

Anyway, now that you have access to a selection of Halloween related items, it only seemed appropriate that we hold a decoration competition.

Your task is to decorate any structure in whatever way you want to make it look more Halloween-ey by midnight the 31st of October (server time).

Rules:
- Must be a decoration (eg, whatever you decorate should look normal when restored to it's original state)
- If you don't have any structures, you can build one, but it has to look normal without decorations
- Must look spooky or otherwise related to Halloween
- Groups are allowed, but only one prize per build if you team up
- Must be built while consuming only Halloween related food*

Prizes:
1. Jersey, Chest full of Misc Halloween-related items, and of course a couple stacks of gold
2. Jersey, Chest full of Misc Halloween-related items
3. Jersey or Chest full of Misc Halloween-related items

Submission:
Post a photo and coordinates on the #builds channel, you may include multiple pictures (perhaps a before and after? :P) by midnight the 31st of October server time.

EDIT: Or post a reply here (That's what you get for copy-pasting from Discord)

Judges:
Me, and TBD

*That was a joke, BTW