Redcrab's server

miner65536

Re: Redcrab's server

by miner65536 » Post

Thanks, I'll make some more eventually, in the meantime here's one from the 30402 server, there are a lot of buildings there that aren't on the 30401 server...
Check out at 10:45, it's like a giants ants nest under spawn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzuPqEfl15Y

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

What happened to this server?

OldCoder

by OldCoder » Post

ABJ wrote: "What happened to this server?"

Redcrab, the world as opposed to the person, has been reported dead. However, this has happened before and the world may return.

If it doesn't return, I have a copy online, Silvercrab, that preserves many of the buildings; even some of the ones underground.

My copy works differently because I don't have Redcrab's exact Minetest release or modset. If somebody can provide these things, I can try to run a more exact copy. For now, though, the effort that people invested in Redcrab lives on albeit in a somewhat different landscape.

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Oh. Lets hope it returns soon :)
And BTW OldCoder you were JUST the person I've been looking for! See your PM please

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Post

It breaks my heart to see this server potentially gone forever other than OldCoder's spinoff. It's literally like one of my limbs just disappeared. It's like going back to your old stomping grounds like a playground or a general place to hang out and seeing it completely gone, demolished, barren.

Redcrab, if you're reading this and more than likely not going to get this server back up, I just wanted to say thank you for all the fantastic memories you've provided me and a lot of other people with this server. So many laughs were shared, so many adventures, you wouldn't believe it.

I've never spoken directly to you, and you've never spoken to me, and people may think it's ridiculous for someone to have such an emotional bond to something as simple as a game server. If they spent as much time there as I did, met as many nice, intelligent, caring people as I did, and even have a hand in some of the adventures/projects that went down like I did, they would understand.

Once again, thank you for the memories.

-Jake, AKA oOChainLynxOo.

From the time Noogah, Hiccup, a couple other friends and I had a building competition back in 2013.

OldCoder

by OldCoder » Post

Jake, if you and others feel this strongly, and if Silvercrab (which contains much of Redcrab) is not enough to help, ask Redcrab (the person) to give me as much of the following as possible:

* His Minetest server binaries tree
* A copy of the world tree, including the map file, the conf file, the auth file, and other data files
* The modset that he's using, including the _game, worldmods, and any other mods (this should mostly be covered by the preceding)
* The source code and "build" procedure for the release of Minetest that he's using
* A list of the dependencies that he's installed

If I'm provided with these things, I'll make an attempt to run Redcrab itself in addition to Silvercrab.

We might run into difficulties when Minetest upstream breaks the current network protocol. At that point, I might need to switch to updated server code. Changes of this sort will lead to other changes and people react negatively to that. However, this is the best that I can offer.

Or you can tell me what more I could do to make Silvercrab acceptable. People were unhappy with the mod changes, but note that I didn't have the original Redcrab _game or modset.

Calinou's code, in particular, wasn't backwards compatible. When I approached him on the matter, he was less than receptive to discussions of repairs to the world. I worked on Silvercrab for weeks, but players noticed that their buildings looked different and blamed me.

This is related to issues that will decide the future of the Minetest project, by the way, a lack of civility and teamwork in general, and a lack of interest among some developers in server issues such as the handling of orphan mods, the effects of changes to the "default" mod, and backwards compatibility in general.

For additional remarks on some of the points involved, click here.

If Redcrab (the person) can't be reached, and if people don't want to come to Silvercrab, let's see what we can do. I suggest that people start a new series of database captures and try to reproduce the exact modset that Redcrab is using. Note: I don't need the names of the mods; I need copies of the exact releases.

Edit: A new series of captures will only be possible, of course, if Redcrab (the person) starts up the existing Redcrab server one last time.

If these three options, talking to Redcrab, switching to Silvercrab, or doing some actual work to save the world are not feasible, then, yes, it's time to say good-bye to this part of the project as you've done. But I'm an engineer and I think in terms of solutions.

redcrab

by redcrab » Post

Sorry for the silence but I'm not dead .. at least not yet.
The server is back ... again
I failed to monitor the monitor ... Sorry

I see new strange message in the server log

Code: Select all

INFO[ServerThread]: WARNING: beginSave() failed, saving might be slow.WARNING: endSave() failed, map might not have saved.(....)
And sqlite map file is 32GB ...

Code: Select all

$ > ls -lh map.sqlite
-rw------- 1 minetest minetest  32G 2015-06-26 03:35 map.sqlite
From what I've seen so far ( http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2777 ... e-database )
32Gb shouldn't be the limit ...
2 years ago ( 2013-04-03) the file size was 11GB

So duplicating the world by visit is a good way to keep the interesting part of world safe on another server.

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

redcrab: do you plan to update the server to 0.4.12?

EDIT: as well as minetest_game

OldCoder

by OldCoder » Post

redcrab wrote:So duplicating the world by visit is a good way to keep the interesting part of world safe on another server.

I run Silvercrab, which is based on captures. It has the buildings, but it's not the same world without the _game and custom mods. I'd also like to know if you've modified the server code and get the exact sources if possible.

Will you share the _game and custom mods? And are you ruling out sharing the map?

To everybody else, before the world goes down again, start a new series of captures and include the underground areas, if possible. If you're not familiar with the capture process, see Erthome or me.

You can chat with me in Freenode or Inchra IRC. Erthome is in Freenode sometimes and also in-game sometimes at Redcrab or Silvercrab.

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Post

OldCoder wrote: To everybody else, before the world goes down again, start a new series of captures and include the underground areas, if possible. If you're not familiar with the capture process, see Erthome or me.
I'd love to help. I'll find you on IRC.

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Post

Reunited and it feels so good!
Taken from the Convention Center.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

I have joined but after I did the /setemail thing whenever I log in nothing loads and I'm stuck in a grey void :/

Maker Minetest
IRC: Minecart
In-game: YTMinecartYT

by Maker Minetest » Post

oOChainLynxOo you play minetest again?
I am Minecart
  • DUNDUDNDUDNDUDN MINECART

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Post

ABJ wrote:I have joined but after I did the /setemail thing whenever I log in nothing loads and I'm stuck in a grey void :/
If you're running a newer build of Minetest, try downgrading.

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Post

Rob and Sokomine, Stormchaser3000 and I are active on Redcrab right now along with Erthome.

Erthome
In-game: Erthome Azyaqux

by Erthome » Post

Thank you, Redcrab, as always, for keeping this piece of history alive. I realize that you have a life, and probably don't want to be spammed by all of us when the site runs into trouble, BUT, can you please provide at least one of us moderators with a way to contact you when there is a monitor monitor problem? Or maybe get extravagant and set one of us up with a link to a restart script or something?

I'm guessing that the error you saw in the log came from the recorder built into a newer client that Chain was attempting to use earlier today, because he let me know that he got an onscreen message to the same effect. I do not pretend to have a grasp of the inner workings of the server or client in any version combinations BUT I am curious if using these capture clients is going to impact the server load--can anyone address that for me?

I am grateful that Redcrab is okay with folks doing the recording --I was one of the people who pushed for someone to build that capability in--but I don't want to crush the server with everyone doing so all the time, if that is a risk. Whoever knows the answer please share it with us all :-)

I am delighted to see some of you folks excited about helping to provide redundancy and I enjoy Silvercrab's shinier-newer spin on the classic world as well. Now that the mods have ?stabilized? and the place is less of a moving target I have resumed building there as well as Redcrab.

I *think* I may be the only one who is actively moderating in either world HENCE I may not be easily accessible in either game on any given day--SO, I want to remind everyone that I CAN be reached here via private message even if I am not in game--I have my account set up to notify me of messages via email which I check very regularly.

Chin up everyone :-) And Mine on!

~ Erthome

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

I wonder if redcrab really does intend to keep this up and update. If he does. I will be very happy, because I haven't yet seen enough and want to try out the most famous MT server.

doyousketch2
GitHub: doyousketch2
In-game: Sketch2

by doyousketch2 » Post

oOChainLynxOo wrote:

From the time Noogah, Hiccup, a couple other friends and I had a building competition back in 2013.
Yeah, I remember that room. Noogah's lair, right? It was an absolute mess 'till I showed up. Random chunks of block floating everywhere. Took about a week and cleared half that room out myself. Think I filled 8 fridges full of cobble from it. No WorldEdit at that time. Chipping away block-by-block. Glad you guys had good times in there.

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Post

doyousketch2 wrote:
oOChainLynxOo wrote:

Yeah, I remember that room. Noogah's lair, right? It was an absolute mess 'till I showed up. Random chunks of block floating everywhere. Took about a week and cleared half that room out myself. Think I filled 8 fridges full of cobble from it. No WorldEdit at that time. Chipping away block-by-block. Glad you guys had good times in there.
Hey! Long time no see! ;)

Yes, some great memories were made there. A couple of house building contests took place there, and other activities.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

redcrab wrote: Sorry for the silence but I'm not dead .. at least not yet.
That is good to hear! We'd love to hear from you more often than once per year :-)
redcrab wrote: The server is back ... again
I failed to monitor the monitor ... Sorry
Is there any way to reach you? Even when the server is up there are issues that have not been handled for years. It is very impressive that the server still runs and works. It has many impressive buildings and could still be a lot of fun to players - provided they could join. There are also such matters as maintenance. There are still those dropped gravel blocks on roads which cannot be cleaned up in protected areas. Beeing able to check for griefings and actually beeing able to do something about it would also be highly welcome. It is sad to be a moderator and not beeing able to do a moderator's work.

I wonder how well the server will do if it is switched to a newer version of Minetest? Of course that would have to be done very carefully. The areas mod instead of node_ownership would also be welcome. Maybe you can share at least your versions of the mods? I've tried to recreate them, but in some cases (moreblocks, stairsplus), it's extremly tricky. That setemail command of yours would also be very useful.
redcrab wrote: And sqlite map file is 32GB ...
That *is* quite big :-) And there are lots of excellent buildings! It's sad that almost nobody can enjoy them.
ABJ wrote: I have joined but after I did the /setemail thing whenever I log in nothing loads and I'm stuck in a grey void :/
Either use an older version of MT, or move your cache folder out of the way and create a new, empty one. If your cache is empty, you can connect to Redcrabs server even with the most current client - once. Afterwards, you need to empty your cache again for the next visit.
Erthome wrote: I'm guessing that the error you saw in the log came from the recorder built into a newer client that Chain was attempting to use earlier today, because he let me know that he got an onscreen message to the same effect. I do not pretend to have a grasp of the inner workings of the server or client in any version combinations BUT I am curious if using these capture clients is going to impact the server load--can anyone address that for me?
The normal inbuild capturing mechanism controlled with enable_local_map_saving = true does not create any additional load. All it does is to save all the map data the client receives in a local database instead of only passing it on to the gpu for beeing drawn. If players run around more in the world in order to capure all, the players will run around more than usual and thus load more data - but it's the same as if they'd just run around there without capturing.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

Thank you Soko...that is what I hoped someone would say :-)

Blairtheminetestplayer

by Blairtheminetestplayer » Post

I'm glad it's back! We should set up some sort of event on the server! Maybe a huge race or fun competition!
Sorry about my incompetence!
Just bear with me for a second...

Blairtheminetestplayer

Can someone grant me a protected area? I'm trying to build a giant tower filled with different levels with different themes so I can set up a large parkour arena. I also need water and lava which I can't place without a specific area.
Owner: Blair
Area: 516,104,1778 - 549,4,1730

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

@Blair In order to protect an area for you, you need to be online at the time. I have protected the area you mentioned on your behalf, but I will need to meet you in-game to add you to the protect. Later today (Wednesday July 1st), say after 5:00 Eastern Time I will look for you there.

EDIT: @Blair check you PM Inbox for details.
Last edited by Erthome on Thu Jul 02, 2015 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Blairtheminetestplayer

@Erthome Alright thanks. Ill try to be there at the time.