Redcrab's server

coffeecrafter

Redcrab's server is missing you guys

by coffeecrafter » Post

hey, long time no action on redcrab's server - are erthome, rob & me the only people still active there?
Nevermind, I want to present my last project. After months of months of building in my city I decided it was time to go out and create something different, so I modelled a plane. Assuming 1 block is 1m, it has about the dimensions of the Airbus A380. I modeled "free hand" with the help of several pictures of the google search and this image I loaded in paint :D

source: http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... 380416.gif

The pictures show only parts of the plane, there's a vip class also, a small bar, ...
Hope you like the plane, if you'd like to visit it a travelnet is in my house at spawn
Spoiler
the A380 replica

economy class

first class

the cockpit

_____
coffee

Erthome
In-game: Erthome Azyaqux

Re: Redcrab's server

by Erthome » Post

It's a beauty...PM me the protect coords so it stays that way ;-)

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

Erthome wrote:Hey 64K love the map on gigipan...Luigi's been a busy fella...what's a "borg"--I mean in Minetest context?

I've been meaning to mention, though I'm assuming it's already a well known item, but I can not help but notice that flowed water (water that stems from what I add with a bucket) is not displaying with the 0.4.7 client--is that a bug that has been fixed in the newer clients, 0.4.9 perhaps?

Ahh hehe a borg is what the spinning items with lots blocks in them look like, like the borg cube ships from star trek :)

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

WHO broke the serrrrrrrver? Soko? Do YOU know anything about this? LOL Robert?

Still not connecting since we were in the middle of a chat last evening Soko, I got booted and haven't been able to get back in since.

I'll keep trying ... cuz ya know I LIVE there...will post back once I see life restored.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Erthome wrote: WHO broke the serrrrrrrver? Soko? Do YOU know anything about this? LOL Robert?
I'm afraid I did so involuntarily :-/ Hope the restart script is still working.
Erthome wrote: I'll keep trying ... cuz ya know I LIVE there...will post back once I see life restored.
There are so many nice buildings on the server. It ought to have better maintenance than what we can do now.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

I was just kidding Soko...you didn't do a 'rollback all' did ya ? LOL

Not back up yet. Redcraaaaaaab, we may need your divine intervention :-)

I sent PM and email in Redcrab's direction. I'll keep checking for the server and update here if/when I have news.

EDIT: 42 hrs down...not looking real promising :-(
Last edited by Erthome on Mon Sep 29, 2014 17:59, edited 3 times in total.

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

I'm missing redcrab so much I've made a new map! http://gigapan.com/gigapans/163368 I hope It's up again soon. Check out coffee's excellent A380 in the snapshots!
The server seemed to be straining to flood a northern extension to my canal, so hopefully it's just recovering after that :S

coffeecrafter

Re:

by coffeecrafter » Post

I was not able to log in since two days ago ... at almost the same time1 year ago there had been a scary post:
Spoiler
cactuz_pl wrote:ATTENTION

The situation doesn't look good. We don't have any life signs from redcrab. From what I know expiry date of the server ends next Sunday, 15th September. After that date, the server will not be available and redcrab will have 42 days to pay the fee, if he doesn't pay we will lose all server files (world, protected areas, players informations, etc.).

Please correct me if I'm in mistake.

What we can do:
1.Do not panic.
2.Take a lot of photos, try to capture everything you can, try to capture everything you can. Maybe some day we could collect our best pictures in one big album.

If you have any ideas please post them below.
so am I the only one who is concerned about that could happen this year?

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

Re: Re:

by Amaz » Post

coffeecrafter wrote:I was not able to log in since two days ago ... at almost the same time1 year ago there had been a scary post:
Spoiler
cactuz_pl wrote:ATTENTION

The situation doesn't look good. We don't have any life signs from redcrab. From what I know expiry date of the server ends next Sunday, 15th September. After that date, the server will not be available and redcrab will have 42 days to pay the fee, if he doesn't pay we will lose all server files (world, protected areas, players informations, etc.).

Please correct me if I'm in mistake.

What we can do:
1.Do not panic.
2.Take a lot of photos, try to capture everything you can, try to capture everything you can. Maybe some day we could collect our best pictures in one big album.

If you have any ideas please post them below.
so am I the only one who is concerned about that could happen this year?
I don't think that there is much to worry about, as at the end of the scare was over, cactus_pl posted this:
Record information last updated 3 hours ago

Expires On September 15, 2018

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I've sent an email to Redcrab using his forum. That hasn't been very successful in the past, but you've got to start somewhere.

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

Yes Soko, he will likely see it eventually. I sent a message here, an email to his domain contact address and a message on the dedicated forum as well.

Meanwhile, we are working on day five of voxel deprivation therapy ;-)

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Hi when i log in, the screen just stays in ''connecting to server'' and nothing happends, i never had this issue, somebody nows how to fix it?

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

Dragonop wrote:Hi when i log in, the screen just stays in ''connecting to server'' and nothing happends, i never had this issue, somebody nows how to fix it?
Seeing the previous posts, it probably means the server is offline. (It happened to me before, I wish minetest added a message like "The server is not online" in newer versions)
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

Sorry Folks...the server is still not responding...we are waiting for Redcrab to see our communications and determine/fix the problem...I check multiple times daily and will post here as soon as I see it return to service -or- hear news from Redcrab.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Erthome wrote: Sorry Folks...the server is still not responding...we are waiting for Redcrab to see our communications and determine/fix the problem...I check multiple times daily and will post here as soon as I see it return to service -or- hear news from Redcrab.
Same here. I hope he'll answer us! The server has so many great buildings.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Mmmh, I dont whant this server to fall, this was my first server, January 2012, what a good time .

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re:

by Inocudom » Post

Sokomine wrote:Don't count the server dead yet! There's still construction going on.

...and finally: Here is that part of the map I saved with sfan5's special client while we where afraid that the server would go down. While that danger has been averted, there's still a lot to gain from exploring the map in singleplayer: You can actually see some of those large structures that have been built on the server (Smokis non-deathstar, Wyverns angel statue, Topywos construction, ...). Some other buildings (especially those of AspireMint) may be enjoyed directly on the server, but it's still easier to look at them when loaded in full from your local storage.

I hope that someone with a fast machine and good graphics card can do one or two short videos showing some of those great buildings! There are also several great towns where an overview might be intresting.

In order to run the world in singleplayer, unzip Redcrab.zip (ca. 100 MB) and place it in your worlds/ folder. Unzip redcrab_game.zip (ca. 2 MB) and place it in your games/ folder. The mapgen is already set to singlenode, so no new blocks will be created (those could lead to mapgen griefing if enabled - at some points of the world, there's only a thin layer recorded).

Please keep in mind that the world file is only provided to players on Redcrab who want to get an overview and explore the map in a way that is not possible on the server itself (loading chunks over network is slow; some buildings are almost invisible due to that). You do not gain the same rights here as you would with open source software as far as the map is concerned! For the liscence of redcrab_game.zip, see the liscences in the individual mod folders. For the map - there's no liscence permitting you anything other than viewing it in your local world and doing videos on it like you could on Recrabs server (if network code would be faster). If you want to do anything else with it, you first need to contact Redcrab and/or the individual builders.

Thanks for Erthome for providing the webspace!
It seems that this post was forgotten. Within it, there is a link to a copy of this server's map that is about one year old. However, as this post states, there is something that everybody must keep in mind:
This server's map is proprietary and all rights are reserved concerning it. You have been warned.
Remember, there is a difference between using open source programs and resorting to piracy.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

It's proprietary because licences weren't provided by the builder. Remember fair use, you could host a replacement redcrab server, no one will complain.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

The alt server on 30402 is still up so the machine & hosting looks good. I suppose we have to wait for 10mins of mr redcrabs time to look at why the server isn't starting...

redcrab

by redcrab » Post

Erthome wrote:Sorry Folks...the server is still not responding...we are waiting for Redcrab to see our communications and determine/fix the problem...I check multiple times daily and will post here as soon as I see it return to service -or- hear news from Redcrab.
Sorry for the delay but the server 30401 should be up.

For the info ..
The minetest process monitoring was down .... but I do not monitor the monitoring . Doh!

Enjoy.

Erthome

by Erthome » Post

Great News. Thank you sir!

Confirmed -- the Redcrab 30401 Server is indeed working ;-)

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

Let the dig continue! Thanks for fixing everything :)

coffeecrafter

by coffeecrafter » Post

jeehaw!

again one of the extremly rare lifesigns of mr. redcrab - and another server revival! Thanks a lot

As a truely minetest addict I used the last days to spend some time on another server running on 0.4.10 and same as during my last excursion last year I REALLY miss those new features here. Climbing large trees, cutting slabs with a circular saw, growing seeds (I could even grow coffee beans there man that's amazing!), chasing sheep, ... - I'm again carefully asking myself why not staying there? :-/

I've built so much on redcrab and I don't want to start from all over, but if there's no more hope that this server will ever be updated I'm not sure if I'll stay here forever... I'm against server-polygamy so I won't play on several servers at the same time. I'll see how the server and the situation on it develops in the next weeks & hope for better days

Building is not half the fun if you can't share your stuff or build things together

_____
coffee

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

coffeecrafter wrote:...
server-polygamy
I actually think that is one of the interesting ways to get an idea of how different Minetest can be. Although I am a regular to only a few servers, I have visited quite a lot and it has largely broadened my view of how a server can be run and what mods can add or and I am constantly surprised by this, how much a subgame can really change the gameplay.

I have always loved to visit a server to see the sights and marvel at the builds of others, there is so much to see and learn from others.

I must admit though of Redcrab's server I have only seen a tiny fraction although I might have visited a larger area than on most other servers - it is sooooo large ;-)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

redcrab wrote: Sorry for the delay but the server 30401 should be up.
Thank you! Please also tell us which attempt at communication finally reached you. It's a bit bad that we have no way of contacting :-( Immediate reply is seldom needed, but perhaps withhin a week...?
redcrab wrote: For the info ..
The minetest process monitoring was down .... but I do not monitor the monitoring . Doh!
Don't forget to add a monitoring process to the process monitoring the monitoring process :)
The server really ran for a long time without so few maintenance. That's astonishing! So, most of the time, the monitoring works very well.

Trouble is that it might fail. It would be really great if the server could be updated to a newer version of Minetest. Reasons:
1.The server can be in the public list again, so that players will find it. It's more fun if there are other players around!
2. We won't have to keep outdated copies of MT or delete our cache folders each time in order to be able to connect.
3. Floating water and lava would be drawn correct again with new clients. It's no fun right now.
4. The server might profit a lot from recent bugfixes in general (there where plenty!)
5. No more random sand and gravel drop.
6. Very important point: Rollback got improved a lot. It actually works with newer versions!
Of course such an update would have to be done very carefully, and would also have to involve the mods installed. I'd be glad to prepare something, but - there is little point if the next reply that'll come up will take a year.

Especially the random sand and gravel blocks that where dropped by the server and which can't be removed in protected areas annoy me a lot. The areas mod is much nicer in that regard! And it was written with compatibility/an import option for the protection mod used on Redcrabs server in mind. My own markers mod also aims at making protection easier.
coffeecrafter wrote: I REALLY miss those new features here. Climbing large trees, cutting slabs with a circular saw, growing seeds (I could even grow coffee beans there man that's amazing!), chasing sheep, ... - I'm again carefully asking myself why not staying there? :-/
We'll have to be a bit careful with updates even if Redcrab shows enough signs of life so that anything can be done. A mobs mod might be too demanding. Re-growing papyrus would be a huge gain already...Large trees? Moretrees or what do you have in mind?
coffeecrafter wrote: I've built so much on redcrab and I don't want to start from all over, but if there's no more hope that this server will ever be updated I'm not sure if I'll stay here forever... I'm against server-polygamy so I won't play on several servers at the same time. I'll see how the server and the situation on it develops in the next weeks & hope for better days
We do need more hope. Redcrab, please take a look! There are still players who'd love to play. It's just a bit of maintenance that'd be necessary.
coffeecrafter wrote: Building is not half the fun if you can't share your stuff or build things together
That's right. Your buildings are certainly worth visiting. Half of the fun is building something oneshelf, but the other half is to be amazed about the impressive creations of fellow builderes from which one might still learn a lot.
twoelk wrote: I actually think that is one of the interesting ways to get an idea of how different Minetest can be. Although I am a regular to only a few servers, I have visited quite a lot and it has largely broadened my view of how a server can be run and what mods can add or and I am constantly surprised by this, how much a subgame can really change the gameplay.
That's right. In a way, this server with its low amount of mods installed and (relatively!) few blocks to build with does inspire more creativity in players. But it's also very intresting to take a look at other servers now and then in order to see how they look like. There's a huge variety out there. Redcrabs server is one of the few with impressive buildings, and I'd still say it's the one with the largest amount of them. Landrush and linuxgaming.us are also impressive in that regard, but have much smaller maps.

Even with SilverCrab now existing, it would be great if Redcrabs server could be brought back up to beeing really usable.