Redcrab's server

oOChainLynxOo

Re: Redcrab's server

by oOChainLynxOo » Post

Blairtheminetestplayer wrote:I'm glad it's back! We should set up some sort of event on the server! Maybe a huge race or fun competition!
Hey Blair! Haven't seen you in a while! Yeah we really should do an event at Redcrab.

Erthome
In-game: Erthome Azyaqux

by Erthome » Post

Redcrab detected some problems with the /sendmail command, as reported by a couple of you earlier today. I am happy to note that the problem has been resolved, and we have sailing at this time :-)

Blairtheminetestplayer

by Blairtheminetestplayer » Post

oOChainLynxOo wrote:
Hey Blair! Haven't seen you in a while! Yeah we really should do an event at Redcrab.
Yeah long time no see! Actually I'm planning an event myself. I'm going to make a giant parkour/race tower with 10 floors. It's going to take awhile though but it's going to be fun! Hopefully you and some other people can partake in the race when it is finished.
Sorry about my incompetence!
Just bear with me for a second...

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

Hey do you have coordinates, or instructions how to get there? I'm pretty certain I've not been there yet!

Cheers,
Rob
oOChainLynxOo wrote:It breaks my heart to see this server potentially gone forever other than OldCoder's spinoff. It's literally like one of my limbs just disappeared. It's like going back to your old stomping grounds like a playground or a general place to hang out and seeing it completely gone, demolished, barren.

Redcrab, if you're reading this and more than likely not going to get this server back up, I just wanted to say thank you for all the fantastic memories you've provided me and a lot of other people with this server. So many laughs were shared, so many adventures, you wouldn't believe it.

I've never spoken directly to you, and you've never spoken to me, and people may think it's ridiculous for someone to have such an emotional bond to something as simple as a game server. If they spent as much time there as I did, met as many nice, intelligent, caring people as I did, and even have a hand in some of the adventures/projects that went down like I did, they would understand.

Once again, thank you for the memories.

-Jake, AKA oOChainLynxOo.

From the time Noogah, Hiccup, a couple other friends and I had a building competition back in 2013.

miner65536

by miner65536 » Post

ahh i just found it, the little house is gone on redcrab :(

OldCoder

by OldCoder » Post

An offer to make another attempt to duplicate Redcrab stands.

The world is likely to disappear, we're all aware of this, and this is a shame. If you're running captures, provide me with copies. However, what is really needed is help with reproducing the modset and porting it to the current engine.

I don't mind hosting a copy of Redcrab with old mods, but we don't know exactly what Redcrab has on the old server and some mods are also not going to work with Minetest 0.4.12 and up. If you'd like to see this world live on, contact me to discuss the matter.

I can be reached in the Freenode #minetest channel

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It would be great if we could get the modset Redcabs server is working with right now. And also the map. Just updating to a newer version of the engine would be great...after doing a backup and checking it locally. OldCoder has enough experience with running servers in order to be able to help/run a more original version of Redcrabs server.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

This redcrab is so mythical today, never have been on it, but would be glad to join it on 0.4.13 :D It will be mega cool to bring it back (screenshots are nice).

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Fixerol wrote: This redcrab is so mythical today, never have been on it, but would be glad to join it on 0.4.13 :D It will be mega cool to bring it back (screenshots are nice).
Redcrabs server still exists and can be connected to :-) It's just not so easy. You have to rename your cache folder and create a new, empty one. If your cache is empty, you can connect with a recent client to Redcrabs server. But: If you think the server's a myth, wait for the person behind it! He's occasionally been sighted on the forum...yet very rarely. In the past, it wasn't uncommon for a year to pass without a sighting of Redcrab. Still, his server runs. We all just wish there where updates! And ways to fix the falling nodes (gravel, sand) that fell into protected areas and cannot be removed now.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

I've managed to connect with 0.4.4 easily, damn it is sooo smoooth and fast after "just test" fps problems.

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

yeah that would be nice.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Redcrab was the first server I ever joined, I remember, In that time, there were almost no grifers, my house was unprotected, and I was living on some sort of neighborhood with small houses made of dirt and jungle trees, I bought that small house for 6 scorched stuff, and 4 iron... such a friendly community :')

Blairtheminetestplayer

by Blairtheminetestplayer » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Fixerol wrote: This redcrab is so mythical today, never have been on it, but would be glad to join it on 0.4.13 :D It will be mega cool to bring it back (screenshots are nice).
Redcrabs server still exists and can be connected to :-) It's just not so easy. You have to rename your cache folder and create a new, empty one. If your cache is empty, you can connect with a recent client to Redcrabs server. But: If you think the server's a myth, wait for the person behind it! He's occasionally been sighted on the forum...yet very rarely. In the past, it wasn't uncommon for a year to pass without a sighting of Redcrab. Still, his server runs. We all just wish there where updates! And ways to fix the falling nodes (gravel, sand) that fell into protected areas and cannot be removed now.
Don't worry about redcrab. You can easily contact him if the server goes down. Just ip trace and use the email. I won't be sharing it on the forums for his personal privacy.
Sorry about my incompetence!
Just bear with me for a second...

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Sokomine wrote: Redcrabs server still exists and can be connected to :-) It's just not so easy. You have to rename your cache folder and create a new, empty one. If your cache is empty, you can connect with a recent client to Redcrabs server. But: If you think the server's a myth, wait for the person behind it! He's occasionally been sighted on the forum...yet very rarely. In the past, it wasn't uncommon for a year to pass without a sighting of Redcrab. Still, his server runs. We all just wish there where updates! And ways to fix the falling nodes (gravel, sand) that fell into protected areas and cannot be removed now.
I downloaded minetest 0.4.4 for Redcrab, but the server's protocol if 6, and 0.4.4 client seems to be 13. :(
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Phew! Took a while to get a client that would connect, and the server seems great!
Anybody want to play along with me?(You need an old version of the client though)
Edit: Here's the client needed to connect to it: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/ar ... 0106-1.zip
Edit 2: Never mind this post, I was connecting to the wrong port.
Last edited by kaadmy on Sat Sep 19, 2015 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

Pixture

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Post

kaadmy that means you connected to the wrong port the servert on port 30000 is a completely different server to the one in this thread. the port for the server in this thread is 30401

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

CWz wrote:kaadmy that means you connected to the wrong port the servert on port 30000 is a completely different server to the one in this thread. the port for the server in this thread is 30401
Yep, I realized that after I posted that, i'm on the correct one now, and the /setemail command doesn't exist it seems :(
Edit: the /setemail command does exist, just that there's no help for it.

Pixture

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

All right, finally got interact priv on redcrab.suret.net:30401.
Any advice on where to build?
Edit: I just realized that the server has been up for 63+ days without crashing O_O
Edit 2: Found a nice place to build, i'll start a small village/town(Keyport) at the coordinates -660, 3, -35. Anybody welcome to build there!

Pixture

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Is it just me, or do furnaces not work?

Pixture

OldCoder

by OldCoder » Post

Nobody has contacted me regarding captures. I have the world as it was about a year ago, but buildings created since then are likely to be lost.

If there is interest in ensuring that the world continues, email me or see me in IRC. The goal is to create Redcrab Portable.

I need primarily updated captures and help reproducing the correct modset. Plus, Sokomine, your tree patch, though I might be able to get that from Silvercrab.

Other fixes to help Redcrab Portable run with newer built-in mods and/or the latest server core would be welcome.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

OldCoder wrote:Nobody has contacted me regarding captures
I'll try doing local captures while i'm playing there.

Pixture

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Can somebody give randomminer763 interact privs? He's a friend of mine and doesn't have email or a forum account.
Edit: nevermind.

Pixture

OldCoder

by OldCoder » Post

4aiman wrote:"Redcrab's server is basically a map and a set of mods - just like any other. I can't believe no one would like to help Redcrab with hosting or administrating his server (or a copy of his server)."

4aiman said this in a different thread. I thought it might be sensible to respond here.

I've offered repeatedly to help. I can host a copy of Redcrab. In fact, I produced a copy in 2014, but I wasn't able to duplicate his modset. So, old players found the new world too different for their liking.

But if even a few people are serious about Redcrab, and will offer even minimal assistance, the world can certainly be saved. The thing is, though, that nobody but Sokomine and I seem inclined to do more presently than talk about the issue.

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

but I wasn't able to duplicate his modset
From redcrab's server first page:
Mods:
minetest_game git pull 02/09/2012 mods list fire mod removed
node_ownership
locked sign
sethome
grassblock more details at: here
3dforniture for recipe see: here
wool
tv
moreblocks 120803
moreores 120817
xdoors
xfences
xpanes
stair+ 121003
homedecor 121005
Timber -- click here for details
travelnet git pull 22/03/2013 infos at http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4877
worldedit
Looks like the same mods we use today, but updated, what is the problem with them?

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

But if even a few people are serious about Redcrab, and will offer even minimal assistance
What kind of assistance?