Problem running standalone server

Switch5681

Problem running standalone server

by Switch5681 » Post

I'm running into a little bit of an issue with this. I'm trying to run my server using screen. I can get the process started and detach just fine, however if I close my putty session the server disconnects. When I log back in, screen still has my process there and I can reattach to it, but in that session the server has errored out. Here's the error:

Code: Select all

10:58:12: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="minetest" listening on port 30000.
10:58:33: ERROR[ServerThread]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: Couldn't save env meta

In thread b6c87b70:
/build/buildd/minetestc55-201204161538/src/server.cpp:151: virtual void* ServerThread::Thread(): Assertion '0' failed.
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD b6c87b70:
#0  virtual void* ServerThread::Thread()
(Leftover data: #1  void Server::AsyncRunStep())
(Leftover data: #2  virtual void ServerMap::save(ModifiedState))
(Leftover data: #3  void ServerMap::saveMapMeta())
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD b7787950:
#0  int main(int, char**)
#1  Dedicated server branch
#2  void dedicated_server_loop(Server&, bool&)
(Leftover data: #3  void Server::step(float))
Aborted
This will run just fine if I start up a terminal window on the local box and it will also run fine in an ssh window for as long as I want to leave it open. It's not till I close the session that this shows up. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to linux.

Just for some background,
I'm running Ubuntu Server 11.10 and have installed minetest using the launchpad.net ppa.

I tried setting .minetest directory recursively to 777, no dice
I tried running it with sudo, same thing
I even tried running it from screen, inside screen, still no luck.
The world data is running from inside /home/(myusername)/.minetest/worlds/world
Could there be some sort of an issue with it running in my user folder?

I found that if I have the world under the root account and run everything as root, it'll stay connected.
I copied my world folder over from /home/(myusername)/.minetest/worlds/world
to /root/.minetest/worlds/world (You'll have to sudo this one).
next, I ran "sudo su" to get logged in as root.
I ran screen from here
inside screen I ran minetestserver
Finally I disconnected from screen and exited out of "su" and the ssh session.
My server instance stayed running.

After thinking more on the issue for a few hours, I went ahead and moved my .minetest/worlds/world folder elsewhere on the server and used the "--world=" option. everything worked fine.

I'm thinking this is/was an issue with the home folder encryption that I enabled when I installed the OS. I'm up and running, but I thought I'd share all this in case it's worth noting for others trying to run a server.

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

Wrong discussion, this should go into Bugs and Problems since it's a problem or a bug.

blue

by blue » Post

LolManKuba wrote:Wrong discussion, this should go into Bugs and Problems since it's a problem or a bug.
he probably thought (well this is a server im trying to make....so server list it goes :D) but yea this is supposed to go in the bug and problems forum...dont make a new thread...im sure a mod will come along and move it there for you
I like to debate.

Switch5681

by Switch5681 » Post

blue wrote:
LolManKuba wrote:Wrong discussion, this should go into Bugs and Problems since it's a problem or a bug.
he probably thought (well this is a server im trying to make....so server list it goes :D) but yea this is supposed to go in the bug and problems forum...dont make a new thread...im sure a mod will come along and move it there for you
Yeah, I didn't really think this was a Bug or a Problem per-say (Maybe I'm just too used to Windows and it's myriad of "features"). I really just considered this something that new admins should keep in mind when creating a stand-alone server of their own in an OS with home folder encryption. Thinking about it now, I probably shouldn't have titled the OP as such. Sorry about that.