GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Re: Setting up a server [Wiki]

by texmex » Thu Apr 20, 2017 22:16

Thank you for your work on the wiki! Learned about rollback.

fstltna

GitHub: fstltna
IRC: MarisaG
In-game: MarisaG

Re: Help: Setting up, running, and maintaining a server

by fstltna » Tue Dec 12, 2017 20:31

Very nice instructions in the wiki
---- https://MineCity.online - Fan site for Minetest - get Minetest Hosting with first month FREE & $14/month after that
---- https://MineCity.online/minetest-devices.html - Buy devices that run Minetest
---- http://MineCity.online:3000 - Minetest-fan Slack Team - Join today!

hajo

by hajo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 22:14

In the serverlist, some servers show the names of players online, and a list of mods.
How does that work ?

In minetest.conf I can set server_announce, but no options to specify such details.

sofar
Developer

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 23:56

hajo wrote:In the serverlist, some servers show the names of players online, and a list of mods.
How does that work ?

In minetest.conf I can set server_announce, but no options to specify such details.

The server sends this information to the serverlist automatically.

hajo

by hajo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 13:22

sofar wrote:
hajo wrote:In the serverlist, some servers show the names of players online, and a list of mods..

The server sends this information to the serverlist automatically.

I'm still wondering, because not every server shows those infos.

Also, I wanted to put newlines in server_description,
but it seems that "\n" is treated as a literal.

KGM

by KGM » Thu Aug 16, 2018 15:27

legal aspects?

i for example would like to know what liabilities come with hosting a server in germany.

you really have to work on docs about legal aspects.

technically I could set up a server, but i don't want to get legal problems due to server hosting.
When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them.

fstltna

GitHub: fstltna
IRC: MarisaG
In-game: MarisaG

by fstltna » Mon Aug 20, 2018 02:38

A lot of updated software supports the German requirements. I know the software I bundle has severl places where it requires the user to acknowledge what data you will collect from them.
---- https://MineCity.online - Fan site for Minetest - get Minetest Hosting with first month FREE & $14/month after that
---- https://MineCity.online/minetest-devices.html - Buy devices that run Minetest
---- http://MineCity.online:3000 - Minetest-fan Slack Team - Join today!

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 20:52

KGM wrote:legal aspects?

i for example would like to know what liabilities come with hosting a server in germany.

you really have to work on docs about legal aspects.

technically I could set up a server, but i don't want to get legal problems due to server hosting.

You should ask a lawyer, and not a bunch of random people on the internet.

KGM

by KGM » Tue Aug 21, 2018 09:17

lawyers cost $, so every developer must be a little lawyer, too.
When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 20:40

KGM wrote:lawyers cost $, so every developer must be a little lawyer, too.

No amount of amateur googling will prevent or solve your legal concerns. It just puts you, and others, at risk.

That risk is unacceptable.

Nobody should be publishing legal advise on the minetest forums. And nobody should take any advise on the forum as legal advise.

BTW, this previous sentence is not legal advise. Nor is this entire post. Nor is any part of this forum, or even in whole, legal advise.

Also, please stop making arguments on the forums and go work on cool shit instead.

KGM

by KGM » Wed Aug 22, 2018 04:25

I know that being your own lawyer is risky, but i prefer being my own lawyer instead of having no lawyer.
Being my own lawyer puts me at the risk that i fail, but I accept this risk, since i think that well done researches aren't likely to fail.
>Also, please stop making arguments on the forums and go work on cool shit instead.
>I made a 000webhost site, and created a minetest content search engine (for that site in the past days) , i just need legal green light.
>I would be damn bored if i was just discussing all the time :).

ChimneySwift

GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Wed Aug 22, 2018 05:04

KGM wrote:I know that being your own lawyer is risky, but i prefer being my own lawyer instead of having no lawyer.
Being my own lawyer puts me at the risk that i fail, but I accept this risk, since i think that well done researches aren't likely to fail.

Obviously people should strive to be legally informed, doing your own research is a great idea, especially if you ensure your sources are reputable and relevant to your jurisdiction, but I'm pretty sure Sofar meant that you shouldn't be asking people on a forum for legal advice.

In many countries, giving legal advice if you're not a lawyer is straight up illegal to begin with, which is why many people will footer their posts with "That said, I'm not a lawyer and this should not be considered legal advice" or similar. Even for the ones that don't, it is implied on an internet forum such as this one.

KGM wrote:>Also, please stop making arguments on the forums and go work on cool shit instead.
>I made a 000webhost site, and created a minetest content search engine (for that site in the past days) , i just need legal green light.
>I would be damn bored if i was just discussing all the time :).

He wasn't denying you were making things, he said you make those instead of arguments ;)
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

Return to Servers