[Server] LinuxForks (Lots of trains)

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

Re: [Server] LinuxForks (Lots of trains)

by 56independent_actual » Post

💥
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:00, edited 2 times in total.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Privacy concerns aside, the Linux-Forks Minetest Server wiki is not directly relevant to anyone outside of those who play on the server (curiosity does not count as relevancy.) That's also why __NOINDEX__ is unilaterally enabled across the wiki.
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

56independent_actual

💥
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:00, edited 2 times in total.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Can be being the operative words. GPCF is under no legal or ethical obligation to open anything to the wider public. You compared LF to North Korea: North Korea has a history of, one might say, "overreacting." However unlike North Korea, players are free to come and go from LF at any time they please. Free speech is permitted, to a certain degree. Please don't make such comparisons.
56independent_actual wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:27
TL;DR: The wiki is used by scientific studies and my server is like the UK.
You can link a published scientific study involving this server? I'd be interested to know where my data has been used without my knowledge or consent.
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:27
(and LF even has empty skyscrapers)
Empty skyscrapers build in a sandbox-style game have nothing to do with the politics involved in how the server is run. That is more than likely to be a result of an individual player's play-style than anything. Some people are good at building small, yet detailed buildings. Some are good at the technical intricacies that escape many players. Some just want to build huge structures. Some just lose interest before the building is completed to the degree where you could feasibly live or work in the building if it were IRL. I know I'm currently in the process of building large skyscrapers that will most likely never be filled with internal floors, let alone decorated. This is because I love flying through the cityscape with a glider.

56independent_actual

💥

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Thu Apr 14, 2022 13:25
using privacy as a buzzword for censoring data
There is a definite difference between protecting the privacy of someone's data and censoring hateful comments.
i am taught that it is ethical to say, do a study on someone on the street without them knowing if the data is kept anonymous.
To collect data on people on the street is one thing, as in all likelyhood the collector may never see any specific person again. To collect data from a specific server's users without their knowledge is another all together. I believe Facebook and Cambridge Analytica found themselves in hot water for this sort of reason?
"To a certain degree" is the keyword here. This allows subjectivity of both sides to be nullified, meaning that the argument is ended unfairly.
In this instance "to a certain degree" does not mean that subjectivity is allowed to be nullified. It means that you are allowed to say what you want, but be prepared for others to retort in kind. Moderators act to prevent arguments and to protect players from each other, much like patrolling police act to prevent random people getting knifed.

56independent_actual

💥
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

56independent_actual

💥
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:01, edited 2 times in total.

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

I don't think you're getting the whole reason why this data has been hidden from the wider public in the first place and kept hidden since. If the owner and/or host of said data does not want to release it, outside of legal obligation there is no reason to. Just because data exists does not mean any random person on the internet requires access to it.
Thu Apr 14, 2022 14:16
It was a joke. As indicated by brackets (which are the same marks as those used to choose the order of operations in a calculation when BODMAS dosen't work. In English, they are used for adding comments and making comedic remarks).
Comments, yes. Comedic remarks on the other hand generally require a level of understanding between both parties as to the context and medium the remarks are delivered. I am a native English speaker who graduated from highschool and know what (brackets) are generally used for. Unless the reader was specifically watching for comedy in a serious discussion comparing something to North Korea, it is easily assumed that the (remark) in brackets is a related comment, and not a lighthearted joke. Context is key.

Side note: I appologise for the semi-rants. This subject has been going on for so long that my patience is wearing thin

56independent_actual

💥
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

O B S E S S E D
B
S
E
S
S
E
D
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Froggo8311
GitHub: Froggo8311
In-game: Froggo

by Froggo8311 » Post

Got damn.
They/She 🏳‍⚧ | Codeberg | GitHub | Soundcloud

PythonPi

by PythonPi » Post

Sfgvv

PythonPi

by PythonPi » Post

Hi what version of minetest are you using?

PythonPi

Froggo8311

by Froggo8311 » Post

PythonPi wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 17:57
Hi what version of minetest are you using?

PythonPi
I believe the version is at 5.4, but I could be wrong about that.

56independent_actual

💥

Felfalido
GitHub: Felfa but in GitLab
IRC: Felfa or Are_16
In-game: Felfa

by Felfalido » Post

The server is running a modified 5.4.0 version of minetest. I wouldn't reckon that a newer version should be used since the current one is running very stably and with hardly any downtimes, along with the patches applied in the mods we're using. In fact, to use the dev branch to run a public server is IMHO a horrible idea.
Last edited by Felfalido on Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Debian & Arch GNU/Linux user - Libre software promoter - Antifa - Republican - Feminist - Atheist - Regular player at LinuxWorks server - Hi :-)

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

Thu Apr 14, 2022 14:46
I agree that the owner does not have to share (like i don't have to share auth.sqlite). Wikis are designed to share data. The data exists to be shared. There is a linguistic obligation. Name it "Linuxforks Minetest Server Login-Only Information Board", not "Wiki".
It comes to the scope of sharing information. The page on Wikipedia mentions (at the time of writing) that wikis can also be limited for internal use.

Data does not (necessarily) exist to be shared to the public (which I assume is what you mean by "sharing"). In particular, this is the case when "datum" refers to a single value. You obviously do not want to share what you enter in a login form, for example.
Comments, yes. Comedic remarks on the other hand generally require a level of understanding between both parties as to the context and medium the remarks are delivered. I am a native English speaker who graduated from highschool and know what (brackets) are generally used for. Unless the reader was specifically watching for comedy in a serious discussion comparing something to North Korea, it is easily assumed that the (remark) in brackets is a related comment, and not a lighthearted joke. Context is key.
Such is the ambiguity of the English language. It allows two parties to take completely different stances.

And still, empty skyscrapers are a similarity, no matter the context. If we were comparing apples and oranges, a high level of fructose is a similarity.

The bracket mansplaining was another joke (thus the brackets (this is a meta-bracket, just like the mansplaining one)).
So apparently almost anything you say that turns out to not support your point (or, in some cases, backfire) is a comedic remark, as seen in earlier posts on this thread (and outside the forum).

Ambiguity is something to avoid, not to abuse.

56independent_actual

💥
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Froggo8311

by Froggo8311 » Post

Sun Apr 17, 2022 13:10
By sharing, i meant "Giving to members of society of a certain group, be that members of your cult, organisation, or language".

All data is to be shared. You give your login form to a group composed of that coporation's databases. You give your top secret notes about life to your SSD. You give out information about your server to their members (even though members of the general public would like to have that information, me being the most vocal). What's to stop a former player secretly sharing sockpuppet login details for much access?

This forms the backbone of a new ideology i might expand on.
Not exactly. You might want to delete your file containing personal information that you don't want someone to see. And your definition of "sharing" is lacking- putting data on an external drive without giving it to another party is imho not enough to qualify as sharing.

yw05

by yw05 » Post

Froggo8311 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 13:56
By sharing, i meant "Giving to members of society of a certain group, be that members of your cult, organisation, or language".

All data is to be shared. You give your login form to a group composed of that coporation's databases. You give your top secret notes about life to your SSD. You give out information about your server to their members (even though members of the general public would like to have that information, me being the most vocal). What's to stop a former player secretly sharing sockpuppet login details for much access?

This forms the backbone of a new ideology i might expand on.
Not exactly. You might want to delete your file containing personal information that you don't want someone to see. And your definition of "sharing" is lacking- putting data on an external drive without giving it to another party is imho not enough to qualify as sharing.
The thing is that setting up a wiki for something does not mean you are obligated, in any way, to document everything about it and to share it to everyone equally - you should be allowed to, in most cases, selectively hide some information. This is, as far as I understand, the main idea behind what Maverick2797 meant.

There is a difference between wanting to share information and actually doing so. The extent to which 56independent's arguments apply is something that belongs to a different discussion, but these arguments only go as far as to show that at least some data is sent somewhere, although that may not fully count as "sharing". What I tried to show (and I think you mean to show) is that data does not necessarily exist to be shared, especially not to the public.

It should also be pointed out that the existence of an ideology does not mean we need to follow it.
Yes, exactly. I use my language as a tool, not an art. It is a tool to say what i want, and change what i say by changing context that my previous words fit into, giving me an unfair upper hand. I abuse the language to get what i want. And until we reform the basic rules of English, this is to continue.

I admit; i am the worst person you have ever met. My attacks are not physical, they go through the very fabric of human communication.

I don't proofread. I don't think my way through. I bluntly stab at the internet expecting a response in my favour. Thus this being an edit to the post.

Ambiguity is something i abuse, avoiding avoiding it.
I may remind you that, while I do not have the intention to change your writing style, the effects of what you write can extend beyond this server.

56independent_actual

💥
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:02, edited 2 times in total.

yw05

by yw05 » Post

Sun Apr 17, 2022 15:29
I may remind you that, while I do not have the intention to change your writing style, the effects of what you write can extend far, far beyond this server, to places you would never expect (like a reply to a forum post).
Example?
Don't put words in my mouth.

I am currently not in the status of giving any example for that. I need to first discuss this with some other people.

56independent_actual

💥
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:02, edited 1 time in total.