[Server] Beerarchy (Unmoderated, Anarchy, PVP, Survival)

Your favorite mob

Poll ended at Mon Jul 17, 2017 08:58

Old Skool Oerki
20%
Damn You Dungeon Master!!
20%
Those Pesky Little Golems -_-
No votes
Dragons Obviously, You Fool!!
40%
Greif the Great Greifer
20%

Total votes: 5

botumin
In-game: botumin

Re: [Server] Beerarchy (Unmoderated, Anarchy, PVP, Survival)

by botumin » Post

Meloooooooooons!

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

Hello all,

I would like to say that this server is so underrated, while it has so much to offer!

When new player join this server, I think he or she can be puzzled and disappointed due to lack of nice spawn building, shops and roads. But this is "hard" survival server! That is all about here! As a default spawn is just desert full of sandstone and sand, with no trees, dirt and food, and hunger bar is showing continuously decline (faster when sprint, swim, walk or dig...), someone can think this is not funny server. But that is wrong, so wrong! First time visitors should do not waste of time in default spawn place, should go away to find some grass which can be changed into a wheat seeds, and to find some trees which can be changed into a hoe. Then wood can be changed into a pickaxe, cobbles can be collected and changed into a stone sword, which is pretty good to fight with basic mobs: standard spiders and sand/dirt/stone monster, called sometimes zombies. Killed spiders drop cotton, which can be used to craft bed, fishing stuff and bows. The (mithril) bow is very powerful weapon.

What next? After you establish your food and tree supply, make a bow and go fishing, is there anything else to do? Yes, there is. You can build more funny stuff and machines, like grinder or recycler (put a diamond sword to get diamond). You can collect 200 fishes and try to tame a cat. That is a real challenge! You can also explore the map in all directions. For example you can explore underworlds. If you are thinking about some kind of single type of "special big cave" that can be found underground, you are wrong. Here you can`t find boring nether or just caverealms. Here you will find many types of underworlds depending on how deep you will go. Any of those worlds has own features, nodes and mobs. Some of the underworlds mobs has 6 legs, other can fly and spill rainbow particles. In some of underworlds you can find trees or hundreds of city-like buildings made with uncommon kind of metal blocks. You won`t find such things in any other server! (As I am correct duane`s underworlds mod is something new and fresh; original mod has 5 underworlds but this server contain more of it).

In ice world you can find coal and steel blocks:

In polluted world you can find toxic water, mese and gold blocks (and giant spiders which put all over their spiderwebs and can be much worst after you kill them!):

Moreover, this is the only minetest game where you can dig to hell and meet satan!
Will you survive such meeting?

Of course, coal, mese and gold can be found like in other minetest games just by digging tunnels or exploring "normal" caves underground.

What is great, you can`t craft protectors. But all your hard work with map exploring, mountain climbing, mining and mobs killing can be rewarded in such way that you will receive a few protectors. So you will need to use them wise. Map exploring up and down, nodes placing and digging, all of such activites are changed into an experience points of the ingame ranks system. There is not much to talk about that as evrything is well explained in the help system. You can have access to the help system with "?" button in your inventory

But sadly there is a bug. Somehow it is possible to destroy other players protectors... Maybe admin will fix it in future. Anyway, making houses, castles, pixelart, and even roads, which is typical to minetest games, has no sense at all. As long as you cannot protect your buildings from demolition by other players, such activity can be considered as waste of time. There are some players who like to destroy all buildings and other players bases. They do not care if you are friendly or not, if you are kid or adult, they will remove your base from map whenever they will find it.

Maybe at the beginig it is better to stay near the spawn, as you will be reborn at default spawn point after your death. If you do not have bags, all your armor and stuff from your default inventory will be gone (will be in bones), so you will need to back to your place without nothing to eat or fight. It would be better to have short walk then, when you have no food for a trip! But after you collect some food resources for longer time, craft bed and bag, all what you need is to go away from default spawn and hide somewere. Find some good place far away, do not left any traces. By sleepinig in your bed you will set up your own spawn point, you will use bags as main inventory as anything you will put there will still be with you after you will reborn from death. If you want to stay longer in this game, at least as long to see all of the great underworlds, you should made such base that nobody could find it. Maybe even a few bases. You should consider even to make your base underground! Of course you should also hide your entry to such base.

Trees and plants can be easy farmed underground with a light of meselamp. You can use water or almost endless rope to go up and down in long deep shaft. You can also craft some teleports to move fast in long distances, but you aslo need to hide such devices to keep them away from other players. You will not find teleports and other machines in craftguide, becouse you can craft them only by constructors which contains own crafting table and craftguide. Constructors are mentioned in default craftguide (electronic constructor, the simplest of them, allow to craft teleports).

Well, whatever. I encourage you to give a try. This server can be nice survival challenge! Do not be afraid of death, lost your stuff, or being griefed. Do not fall in love with your stuff, and keep most important things in bags... this server has much to offer :) As I said before, I think it is very underrated, maybe it need more advertising ;)
Attachments
help system.jpg
help system.jpg (94.94 KiB) Viewed 704 times
polluted world.jpg
polluted world.jpg (96.11 KiB) Viewed 704 times
ice world.jpg
ice world.jpg (108.6 KiB) Viewed 704 times

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Thanks for the kind review parasite :) We have indeed had a fair share of drama but such is the way it is with these sort of servers XD However, the protector bug you mentioned is fixed now. Some background to the issue.

TNT arrows combined with the TNT mod from the Minetest game caused problems. More specifically, in Minetest game's TNT mod when you place a TNT block and ignite it, it replaces the TNT with a new node (tnt:boom which is used for effects) when it explodes. Obviously there was no check whether the node to be replaced with the tnt:boom node was protected or not as TNT is normally placed on top or next to things. I.e. air is replaced with a TNT block when you place it, a TNT block is replaced with the tnt:boom node when it explodes. From there the explode function does a voxel manip which properly checks protection.

When you fire TNT arrows however, things go south really quickly. When the TNT arrow entity hits a node, the call to the explosion function was made. As there was no check in the TNT mod whether the node to be replaced with tnt:boom was protected, it sometimes resulted in protected nodes being replaced by the tnt:boom causing holes in protected areas (e.g. walls) to appear. Even worse, guess what happens when you hit a protector. The protector is replaced by the tnt:boom node and gone is all the protection resulting in a big hole where once all your protected stuff was. This also impacted the "explosion resistant" obsidian by the way. As we say in IT, "works as designed":

https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... t.lua#L383

So that is now fixed. I might consider a PR to have this merged into the default game, but then again, using the TNT mod's functionality for arrows is not really something the default game's TNT mod was designed to do. In hindsight, I should never have introduced protectors in the first place.

I do like to remind everyone that such loopholes can exist and as far as I am concerned it is perfectly fine for players to exploit them, i.e. I will not ban players for such things. We had the ranking loophole, we now had the protector loophole, there are still loopholes and dupe issues in Minetest in general, and there is bound to be new loopholes accidentally introduced or found in the future, either in Minetest or in this particular subgame. Oh and there is no rollback on the database.

So keep your most important stuff in your bags, hide your base in the endless mountains and float lands where they are unlikely to be found even by players with fly and noclip hacks, remember that this server is not for pixel art or the faint of heart, and stay away from spawn as it is a Swiss cheese at the moment... XD Just the way I like it >:-))

On another note, strict client checking is enabled now. This game is designed for 0.4.16 and I do not want to and will not support older clients having issues. This probably breaks certain off-the-shelf hacked clients based on version 0.4.14. Means you will have to look for ones based on the 0.4.16 code base, or roll your own :)

botumin
In-game: botumin

by botumin » Post

Cool Beerarchy,
Thanks for clearing things up.
Luckily I wasn't affected directly by this loophole, however it is true that there was some expectation of "protection" by the other mod and I understand the annoyance that the affected people will feel and leave.
I guess this is a server for exploring and not building (Although I might just take my chances and build something near spawn to see how long until it is destroyed).

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Glad when one loophole provides them with endless protectors, sad when another one takes it all away. To be honest I should have never caved in to the demands for protectors on this server in the first place... -_- If someone wants to make pixel art on a PVP survival server it's best to go to e.g. HOMETOWN (although I heard you cannot curse there ;)

Oh well ... This one is fixed, and I will just have to hunt down more of these potential bugs by digging through some more node placement/ replacement code (fun... -_-) or until another loophole is found (doh! -_-)... ;-)

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

Thanks Beerholder for the game, server and for fixing the protectors problem. You described it in details, so I think your post can be very usefull and helpfull also for all future admins who would want to have tnt arrows and protectors in their servers. I made a trip to the first default spawn around 0,0,0 place. Players were talking in chat ingame that spawn was destroyed so I wanted to check this on my own. I must say that I... enjoy that trip! As you said it looks like Swiss cheese and it looks great now! :D Oh I didnt made any screenshots. I died there soon after I reach the cheese spawn. Some mob help me with this as it creep up on me while I tried to go out from water there. What a shame lol :D

Well I do not think Hometown (or Xanadu, why not?) could be any alternative. I think building is always fun and it is much more fun when the server is hard survival and anarchy is the only law! That is great challenge too! Building some decorative buildings near spawn or pixelart here can be great fun, as it is not easy to get protectors and to secure creations for explosions and lava. Can you make build tnt arrows resistant? How you will do that? Is it possible to do that? Which buildings will survive much longer time? And remember to take the screenshot before someone destroy it lol :D Of course first job on this server is to find food, wood, dirt, water, some mese and diamonds, to make a bed, bag, bow, mithril and tnt arrows (as it is not only good for spawns, but also good for mobs in underworlds)... but just when you establish your base and become food-, mese-, diamond-, mithril-, red hotstone-, constructors- -rich, the gameplay become easy. Here we have many kind of challenges like digging to hell, kill the cat (5000 hp; powerful enemy) or tame a cat (200 fishes), collecting golem stones to build army of own friendly golems... so building anything in public areas near spawn can be the last thing to do :) But it is still something funny on the list of challenges...

I also think that looking for mods leaks, loopholes or glitches is great fun too. Nobody should be ever banned for finding such thing. I do not understand admins who ban players due to their own failure with proper code of their own games on their own servers. Moreover, there should be some prize for all new loopholes :D Such loopholes seems to be something normal in minetest community, as it is all free, open code, oh... we all knows what is about. There is nothing wrong in those loopholes and when another one show up it should be also nothing wrong with exploring and playing with it before it will be fixed... but maybe I am wrong ;)

ludwig-a
In-game: ludwig-a

by ludwig-a » Post

Hi Beerholder,

is your server permanently down? I couldn't reach the game and the website for days.
I just began to succeed my first steps, solved the usual newbie's difficulties and promoted. I even found a nyan cat! I would be glad if I could continue the journey. Will your server by any chance ever be up again?

Anyway, thanks for all the work you've done with Beerarchy. I'm not a programmer, so I can hardly imagine how much hard work it takes, but Beerarchy is/was the greatest Minetest server ever!

ludwig-a

ludwig-a
In-game: ludwig-a

by ludwig-a » Post

Beerarchy is up again since yesterday! Cheers, Beerholder!

Just wanted to share the cute nyan cat I found before the server was down:

Attachments
minetest.beerarchy_nyancat.jpg
minetest.beerarchy_nyancat.jpg (127.34 KiB) Viewed 704 times

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Anyone know a way out of Jozet's teleporter trap at 0,0? Or even what it is it teleports you into, since Beerarchy doesn't have suffocate installed?

Got it - everything's black but you're still inside a teleporter, right-click can get you back. Damage is due to altitude - needs a spacesuit.

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Hi all, I thought I had set a remider for the DNS expiry and did get the emails. Being busy caused me to *still* not renew the domain -_- Anyways that is renewed for another year. There is some maintenance now and then that might cause shorter outages. In the meantime I am working on a new (sci-fi) themed subgame (using some of Beerarchy's concepts) so I am roaming the forums for information regularly now.

Who knows I might make another server using that game and this time no protectors I promise! XD

Anyways, am back after very busy times and keeping an eye on the server availability, and @DrFrankenstone I will work a bit more on the in-game manual to make things clearer! But yes, there is space and needs the spacesuit. I might add a space skybox, as that is also something I am working on for the new sci-fi game

slippyIce
In-game: slippy

by slippyIce » Post

Hello I'm new to the server because it's unmoderated anarchy. I was wonder if I could use hack/cheat/modified client for things like killaura or xray? I just want to know because I kind of want to code my own, but I don't want to start developing it before I know if it's alright to cheat.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

slippyIce wrote:Hello I'm new to the server because it's unmoderated anarchy. I was wonder if I could use hack/cheat/modified client for things like killaura or xray? I just want to know because I kind of want to code my own, but I don't want to start developing it before I know if it's alright to cheat.
Didn't you read the title? This is HARDCORE, and hacks are for wimps :P.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Good luck texmex, you will need it as you will start in the desert.
*spawns in a wheat field* xD

talamh

by talamh » Post

Chest in dungeons are giving a couple of "unknown items" one is farming:melon another is farming:hemp_seed

Did eventually manage to get real hemp seeds "farming:seed_hemp", I raided dungeon chests until i got enough hemp leaves to make a bottle of hemp oil using recipe 2 then put that into a recycler using recipe 1 and got 5 hemp seeds. Such a mission just to get some seeds!

Now I need to see if I can get some blueberries :)

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

I get lots of those while connecting:

Code: Select all

2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/cyberdemon.b3d not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/darkgreen.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/darkgrey.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/david_star.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/death_base.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/death_pole.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/death_sheet.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/default_acacia_bush_stem.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/death_uv.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/default_acacia_leaves.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/default_acacia_leaves_simple.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/default_acacia_sapling.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/default_acacia_tree.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
2019-09-04 20:29:07: ERROR[CurlFetch]: https://beerarchy.tk/media/default_acacia_wood.png not found (HTTP response code said error) (response code 404)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Vlad_plays_minetest
In-game: Vlad Lone_Scowt

by Vlad_plays_minetest » Post

Hello @Beerholder . It has been a while since I've been on MT and not sure if I'll return because i cant find a server i enjoy. While i was on the forums and came across this i just wanted to say hi. Yes, I know this will probably be deleted and be told to go to DM but oh well
So rusty...I haven't played this in years