[SUBGAME][SERVER] Sticks & Stones [PVP / SURV / DIFFICULT]

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [SUBGAME][SERVER] Sticks & Stones [PVP / SURV / DIFFICUL

by Sokomine » Post

maikerumine wrote: I get good FPS, it might be your video card. This is also a known issue, mainly in heavily treed areas as there are many textures. I have been trying to optimise and lower the content.
I didn't even manage to get close to any trees. I managed to swim to a nearby snow-covered island and then died. Steering was already extremly difficult. Perhaps it's the amount of sea plants at spawn? They're very beautiful but could be a candidate for expensive graphics. I didn't have any problems with them in other situations until now. But those where places where the sea plants where rare and few.
maikerumine wrote: On my test machine, 1.2 gz 1 gig of ram and 128 mb of video memory this game tanked it, bigtime. Once I got a card that was much better I haven't had a problem. I still use the test rig for performance testing, and it goes down to 2-3 frames per second in any wooded area, sadly.
My machine is better equipped but doesn't have good graphics - only what a Celeron G1610 comes with. In general MT works very fine with it. Densly forrested areas may require a decrease in view range. Most of the time I run around with a view range of 80. Some servers with higher res textures do pose a problem. I didn't see any high-res textures that could be problematic on your server.
maikerumine wrote: The performance is a number one priority to me, and the most difficult. The server machine is also hosting 2 other minetest servers which do not get much traffic, I may run a test where I only run SAS and not the other ones this week to study performance.
It's not server-side lag. The local client becomes unresponsive, i.e. when trying to turn around or chatting. Digging/placing as such work fast enough as far as I could tell.
maikerumine wrote: Sorry for the bad experience, I am limited by my inability to code good and the sloppy minetest engine, as it is far too cumbersome in regards to many ABMS. YES, I said ABM's, because the state of most items depend on a player's influence, i.e. walking on ground, many falling nodes, plant growth, etc.
Perhaps there's too much going on in the background. That *might* be a cause. The spawn on VanessaEs survival server used to be a huge problem for my poor computer. I suspect it's overautomatization (the underground's plastered with machines that constantly change the environment) - which might cause too many updates of blocks in too short a time. But that's just my suspicion.
Skip the footprints. They're nice but not important enough for a multiplayer server. Falling sand is only a problem if it triggers a cascade. Otherwise it ought to sit there peacefully and do nothing. Plant growth can be a problem - especially if players harvest a lot and heavy plantlife mods are installed. Farming on soil is usually not very expensive regarding load of server and/or client.
maikerumine wrote:
Sokomine wrote: There was a crocodile spawn-camping. Respawning let me fell on it again and die immediately.
I will fix spawn tonight.
Just catch that offending cocodile and put it in a cage somewhere where it can't do any damage :-)
maikerumine wrote: There will be griefers, just store your goodies in your inventory, as that never gets deleted. Set home is used with a sleeping bag, your FIRST priority in game. Takes a lot of plant fibers, so keep getting grasses and plants.
The inventory may be insufficient for storing all the materials needed for eating, crafting, building a good-looking house.
Thanks for the information regarding the sleeping bag and the inventory.

There'd been a mod called "earthbuild" around on the forum lately. It might fit nicely into this game. Players could start by building cob-based house.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The problem with the extremly low FPS really need to get solved. Granted, my graphics card is about as low-end as you can get while still beeing able to play the game. On this server, it does end in a slide-show, with turning around giving me headaches. Solve that, maikerumine! Remove all mods that are potential culprits (mods that change many nodes very frequently are the most obvious candidates; paths, seasons, weather changes etc.) until the game becomes playable again. No point in having mods included that either conflict or make the game unplayable.

There seems to be only the protected chest which is highly expensive and which I'm far from beeing able to get. Normal locked chests do not seem to exist.

Turning trees into wood requires a saw. Thus, wooden products become available way later than steel tools. That feels highly unrealistic. Perhaps the saw could just produce *more* wood, like i.e. 6? While normal crafting only producing 2 wooden planks from each tree?

Even a wooden door is highly expensive as it requires steel parts for the hinges. That's bad as it takes a long time to equip a hut with a real door.

The lack of locked chests and protection (yes, both may be available eventually...but not in realistic time) plus the crafting system lead to a problem: There are plenty of tools needed for crafting. Many of them would be a lot nicer as seperate, placed machines. Just...that doesn't work on a multiplayer server if you don't add real protection. And chests are...expensive to craft and practically unavailable before you got your set of steel tools. The inventory soon fills up. There are no bags which could help. Still, the tools for metal working, some of the craft chains and certainly the textures are nice. Where are they from? Perhaps the textures could be used in a mod that is based on machines. That won't work on this server (due to lack of protection) but could be nice on others.

Emra

by Emra » Post

Sokomine wrote:And chests are...expensive to craft and practically unavailable before you got your set of steel tools. The inventory soon fills up. There are no bags which could help. .
A tip on getting hold of a normal chest: the cobble dungeons that generate in minetest have treasure chests in them. Grab all the stuff out and take the chest. It will be a normal chest so hide it at your base and don't put anything hard to replace in it. Griefer Garry likes to break into houses so I prefer to build my base in the side of a cliff where he has a harder time going.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Sokomine wrote:The problem with the extremly low FPS really need to get solved. Granted, my graphics card is about as low-end as you can get while still beeing able to play the game. On this server, it does end in a slide-show, with turning around giving me headaches. Solve that, maikerumine! Remove all mods that are potential culprits (mods that change many nodes very frequently are the most obvious candidates; paths, seasons, weather changes etc.) until the game becomes playable again. No point in having mods included that either conflict or make the game unplayable.

There seems to be only the protected chest which is highly expensive and which I'm far from beeing able to get. Normal locked chests do not seem to exist.

Turning trees into wood requires a saw. Thus, wooden products become available way later than steel tools. That feels highly unrealistic. Perhaps the saw could just produce *more* wood, like i.e. 6? While normal crafting only producing 2 wooden planks from each tree?

Even a wooden door is highly expensive as it requires steel parts for the hinges. That's bad as it takes a long time to equip a hut with a real door.

The lack of locked chests and protection (yes, both may be available eventually...but not in realistic time) plus the crafting system lead to a problem: There are plenty of tools needed for crafting. Many of them would be a lot nicer as seperate, placed machines. Just...that doesn't work on a multiplayer server if you don't add real protection. And chests are...expensive to craft and practically unavailable before you got your set of steel tools. The inventory soon fills up. There are no bags which could help. Still, the tools for metal working, some of the craft chains and certainly the textures are nice. Where are they from? Perhaps the textures could be used in a mod that is based on machines. That won't work on this server (due to lack of protection) but could be nice on others.
Sorry, maybe this game isn't for you. Don't take this the wrong way, you are complaining too much.
This is a VERY difficult and time consuming game, I make this very clear. There are no handouts for the weak. You either toughen up or play a typical easy server.

You are also mistaken, as there are no seasons, nor weather in this game. Paths should not effect the game as they are only an overlay texture.

Also, wood rots with water and spreads.
Good luck.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

maikerumine wrote: Sorry, maybe this game isn't for you. Don't take this the wrong way, you are complaining too much.
Yes, users can be very annoying :-) You don't have to change the game the way I want to. However, if it's almost unplayable due to graphics hanging so much (especially when turning around in the game), then that's not good for anyone. I've seen on your servers in the past that you can do a very good job especially regarding intresting mobs worth fighting against - and most of the time without serious lag. You've also created and assembled intresting mods.
maikerumine wrote: This is a VERY difficult and time consuming game, I make this very clear. There are no handouts for the weak. You either toughen up or play a typical easy server.
But that's fine! Nothing against hardcore survival. I do like that from time to time, and I think MT could profit a lot by offering such a game for singleplayer. I just don't like PVP or griefing at all.
maikerumine wrote: You are also mistaken, as there are no seasons, nor weather in this game. Paths should not effect the game as they are only an overlay texture.
I might be mistaken about the seasons. But I definitely heared a thunderstorm, there was lighting and afterwards a mini bushfire. Mods that change the weather have proven heavy in the past. Also mods that change many nodes frequently.
maikerumine wrote: Also, wood rots with water and spreads.
There doesn't seem to be more water than on other servers, so that's probably not the problem here. Wood can only rot once and then will stay that way I think? Probably also takes some time. So more a case of server load than client overload I'd say.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Updated to 5.1.
:)
more tweaks and tuning coming soon.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I'm glad the server's up again. It has intresting concepts, and it's certainly something for those who seek more challenge in survival.

Sadly, my client still gets slowed down considerably on your server. Wonder where that comes from. It's not exactly lag but the client becoming very slow in responding.

Coder12

by Coder12 » Post

Yes! the server is back. :)

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Massive re-write to game, I sincerely hope it runs a bit faster, and we have added a bit more content for future expansion to the game. :)

If there are any missing items, nodes, bugs or glitches, please let us know either here or the discord.
https://discord.gg/HQaHAMK

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Would be nice if the server would continue to run.

It's a pity that there's no real way to meet and help each other.